Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Deep gluteal /piriformis syndrome

Jump to newest

By *eard and Tatts OP   Couple
over a year ago

Cwmbran

Anyone ever suffered or suffering from this?

I'd appreciate any feedback and tips plus id like to just warn people about it especially if you're sitting down or driving a lot because it's quite literally a ball ache (if you're a man)

It's a bit like sciatica but it's your glut muscle becoming trapped and radiating pain down your leg and arse cheek and bollocks (if you have them)

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yep. Mine was caused by issues with my spine that were eventually resolved by having a titanium, coflex implant inserted between my vertebra. I do have permanent loss of sensation in my right leg and foot though.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I genuinely have very few tips other than maintain core strength, do what the physio says and if it doesn't work keep pushing for more answers.

By *hrek101Man
over a year ago

Herts

Get spiky massage ball and sit ?? m it, helped me, that and got a mini massage gun

over a year ago

Cwmbran

"Yep. Mine was caused by issues with my spine that were eventually resolved by having a titanium, coflex implant inserted between my vertebra. I do have permanent loss of sensation in my right leg and foot though. "

How's your mobility?

Sorry if that seems a silly question

over a year ago

Cwmbran

"Get spiky massage ball and sit ?? m it, helped me, that and got a mini massage gun"

I got a massage rifle... It's longer and thank you

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Yep. Mine was caused by issues with my spine that were eventually resolved by having a titanium, coflex implant inserted between my vertebra. I do have permanent loss of sensation in my right leg and foot though.

How's your mobility?

Sorry if that seems a silly question "

It's not silly at all. Prior to surgery I couldn't walk more than about ten metres or stand for more than five minutes. I wore a portable tens machine all day.

How much pain are you in, 1-10?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Are you seeing a physio?

By *ldgeezermeMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

I suffer from something that sounds like that and I've found that touching my toes (or as close as I can get) a few times before travelling stops it happening for a few hours

over a year ago

Cwmbran

OK atm I'm on a 1

Yesterday was more a 6 but the mental torture was destroying me

My pt said I'm running a little tightness in my lower back but other then the DGS I'm actually in decent condition, reflexes all OK.

Walking is my savior, atm I'm trying to use both legs to stand still, not slouching on one side.

I sit correctly, both feet on ground, posture correct and no leg crossing. Lumbar support when I'm driving, foot away from clutch as much as possible

This morning I did the physio exercise he gave me plus I introduced a hip alightment exercise which helps

Today is a decent day but I'm learning the following aggrevate it

Poor posture

Twirling side to side on swivel chair

Slouch standing

Lack of sleep

Sitting too long

Physio signed me off but I still have issues but that's down to poor body posture

over a year ago

Cwmbran

"I suffer from something that sounds like that and I've found that touching my toes (or as close as I can get) a few times before travelling stops it happening for a few hours"

Just where the bottom curve of your bum is, push deep inside and feel for a tender pain

Pain also travels to hip and leg. Burning on the front of top of leg too

By *affron40Woman
over a year ago

manchester

This sounds exactly like my symptoms after a nasty hip injury. Currently working on resistance band exercises and a spin bike as I can’t weight bare for long. Seems to be improving very slowly but it’s agony.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I suffer from something that sounds like that and I've found that touching my toes (or as close as I can get) a few times before travelling stops it happening for a few hours

Just where the bottom curve of your bum is, push deep inside and feel for a tender pain

Pain also travels to hip and leg. Burning on the front of top of leg too "

Burning is nerve pain.

Have you had a scan?

over a year ago

Cwmbran

"This sounds exactly like my symptoms after a nasty hip injury. Currently working on resistance band exercises and a spin bike as I can’t weight bare for long. Seems to be improving very slowly but it’s agony."

Good for you

Prevention is key, I stretch all over every morning. Yoga next.

By *agertha73Couple
over a year ago

Cardiff

Go to the gym and deadlift learn to deadlift with a barbell.

over a year ago

Cwmbran

"I suffer from something that sounds like that and I've found that touching my toes (or as close as I can get) a few times before travelling stops it happening for a few hours

Burning is nerve pain.

Have you had a scan?"

No, doctors next if this continues but it's been fine

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Burning is nerve pain.

Have you had a scan?

No, doctors next if this continues but it's been fine "

Ok. Good luck

By *hrek101Man
over a year ago

Herts

Had all those symptoms at some point. Best thing is go get professional advice from physio.

Mine is due to join a getting glutes to activate. I find when I am able to train legs regularly (fucked knee) that it goes away cause the posterior chain is more active. But a good physio is best.

Post new Message to Thread