Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

messed up interview. again :0(

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why do I always mess up? Lol

First question.. what do you know about us?

Could only say 2 things and went blank as they waited for more., Deadly silence . Formal interview so would it matter just as much with other answers?

I did well with the other 4 answers so hope it pulls it back from disaster

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

If you don't get it make sure you rquest some feedback as this will help in the future.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Biggest advice I can give, in modern interviews you're allowed to take notes in so make short hand notes to prompt yourself

over a year ago

This question is almost always included in interviews. It’s something you cannot blag and shows you’ve been prepared to put in a little effort in your own time to validate that the company is one you want to work for.

Fingers crossed the other 4 questions bring you back round, but I can wholeheartedly encourage researching this for any company they also love it if you recite their core values

over a year ago

I’m a hiring manager and I ask this question, most people can’t say anything, so don’t worry and focus on it too much.

As much as I like answers to be answered properly, I look for whether you’d fit in with the team, your outlook and whether you can deal with the pressures of the job.

Good luck OP

Mrs

over a year ago

Isn't that the first rule of interviews, find out about the company? Lesson learned for next time.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I’m a hiring manager and I ask this question, most people can’t say anything, so don’t worry and focus on it too much.

As much as I like answers to be answered properly, I look for whether you’d fit in with the team, your outlook and whether you can deal with the pressures of the job.

Good luck OP

Mrs "

Out of interest, what's the value in continuing to ask a question that most people can't say anything about?

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

Always learn the basic business facts about a company. Especially size, locations, CEO, market information. I usually talk about how I have considered their stock a valuable investment.

Then they stop worrying about you being a lefty shit stirrer. You can bring that out later when you've got the job.

over a year ago

" Why do I always mess up? Lol

Could only say 2 things and went blank as they waited for more., Deadly silence . Formal interview so would it matter just as much with other answers?

I did well with the other 4 answers so hope it pulls it back from disaster"

The answer to this question rarely forms part of my decision on hiring its nice if theres something but it isn't a deal breaker

If I hired you and asked you again in a month and you still couldn't answer, then I would be concerned

over a year ago

When I read stuff like this, I'm so glad I work for myself! OP, I feel sure next time you will answer this question perfectly.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I’ve never been for a job interview, am I missing out , should I apply for a job just so I can go for the interview.

over a year ago

Perfectly acceptable to take written notes. You don’t need to know the company inside out, a few points perhaps something recent the company has won or done.

What do you know about us?

“I see that you recently won x, and have a strong presence in abc. It looks a strong market position so I’m here to learn more about you”.

Interviews go both ways.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

I used to interview and hire a lot. For what it's worth a few tips ....

1) Do some rudimentary research into the company and the role. Just a few snippets shows the interviewers you've done your homework.

2) Usually you get asked "Do you have any questions?" Always have some in reserve, even if you know the answers.

3) Memorise the original job ad and mirror back words and phrases they've used.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

I never look into the company concerned if they want me they want me

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"I’m a hiring manager and I ask this question, most people can’t say anything, so don’t worry and focus on it too much.

Good luck OP

Mrs

Out of interest, what's the value in continuing to ask a question that most people can't say anything about?"

Because it shows if the candidate is interested in the company. At least OP had something to say. Many others haven't bothered to do any research.

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

first thing i did when i meet the CEO was speak to him about his football team and how did he think the season would go.

research everything. show them you are the right candidate.

By *ez669Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Hate them. I had to do 3 to get into my place

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Good luck OP

Mrs

Out of interest, what's the value in continuing to ask a question that most people can't say anything about?

Because it shows if the candidate is interested in the company. At least OP had something to say. Many others haven't bothered to do any research."

But if the hiring manager is saying don't worry and don't focus on it, how is it contributing to the decision? In the past, we've changed standard interview questions because we've realised the question isn't actually informing us of anything especially useful etc. T'was just a query.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks for the support everyone. Bit of a bugger but I did my best.

Unfortunate my mind went blank but next time I'll take notes in with me

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

I am terrible at interviews, some people are brilliant at interviews but no good as workers, hopefully the interview panel can spot the real person behind the bullshit

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

"Thanks for the support everyone. Bit of a bugger but I did my best.

Unfortunate my mind went blank but next time I'll take notes in with me "

Good luck with the next one mate

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 21/04/23 19:20:39]

over a year ago

What responses are you expecting. A mock interview via fab?

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If someone I’m interviewing doesn’t know who we are, what we do and why they want to work for us then they’re wasting both our time.

If you go to an interview be there to win and negotiate for what you want or don’t bother going.

over a year ago

"If someone I’m interviewing doesn’t know who we are, what we do and why they want to work for us then they’re wasting both our time.

If you go to an interview be there to win and negotiate for what you want or don’t bother going."

He was prepared and his mind went blank.

Post new Message to Thread