Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Measuring success

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know the answer to this will be different for everyone but how do you measure success in life?

Is it by your job, your life, your wealth, your legacy etc?

One of my things is believing I have not lived up to what others, especially family, would say is a successful life, but then not sure how I would rate a successful life.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

I measure it by how happy I am.

Other people doing better doesn't mean I'm doing badly, same as other people doing worse doesn't necessarily mean I'm doing well.

What other people want for their own lives isn't the same as what I want for mine. What other people think I should want isn't what makes me happy.

The only thing that matters is that I know I'm living my best life, or at least the best I can in the circumstances

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I find this question really difficult to answer because I've never really thought of my life in terms of success so I've never really measured it.

I don't know if that makes me accidentally successful or not successful at all

I don't know if this is because I'm not inclined to compare my life to other people's.

Hmm, you're got me thinking now

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

*you've

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My success is standing on my own two feet. If something happens I can survive without anyone else's assistance.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I vary between feeling like I'm winning at life, to feeling like a failure. It varies depending on which bit of my life I'm focusing on.

I don't think there's a single way to define success and it will be different from person to person. It's also very possible to overthink these things.....

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

By how happy my little girls are.

If they are happy I’m doing something right and everything else to me, be it material or financial is irrelevant.

If my daughters are laughing and smiling and feeling me they love me and I’m the best dad they could hope for then I’m the luckiest man alive.

No amount of cash can buy that.

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

"By how happy my little girls are.

If they are happy I’m doing something right and everything else to me, be it material or financial is irrelevant.

If my daughters are laughing and smiling and feeling me they love me and I’m the best dad they could hope for then I’m the luckiest man alive.

No amount of cash can buy that. "

*telling me they love me…”

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

"I know the answer to this will be different for everyone but how do you measure success in life?

One of my things is believing I have not lived up to what others, especially family, would say is a successful life, but then not sure how I would rate a successful life. "

A few years ago I would have had a very different answer to this question. These days I can say with no hesitancy that success in my life is based on how happy and content and secure our son is. Judging by the fun and games, this mischief and laughter, and how confident he is - so far we’re doing okay.

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

"By how happy my little girls are.

No amount of cash can buy that. "

This

over a year ago

Got this far in life without killing anyone so not doing too badly

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

"I know the answer to this will be different for everyone but how do you measure success in life?

One of my things is believing I have not lived up to what others, especially family, would say is a successful life, but then not sure how I would rate a successful life.

A few years ago I would have had a very different answer to this question. These days I can say with no hesitancy that success in my life is based on how happy and content and secure our son is. Judging by the fun and games, this mischief and laughter, and how confident he is - so far we’re doing okay. "

There’s no better feeling for putting you on top of the world.

Except when they go back to school

After the holidays….

over a year ago

"I vary between feeling like I'm winning at life, to feeling like a failure. It varies depending on which bit of my life I'm focusing on.

I don't think there's a single way to define success and it will be different from person to person. It's also very possible to overthink these things....."

Oh I know all about over thinking and you can never really tell how successful anyone else thinks you are without asking.

But it is hard and stressful when you believe you are the failure of the family.

over a year ago

Happiness. There is nothing more worthwhile. I would think most of us compromise in some aspects of our lives and choose what we have over what we might desire, but if on balance you are happy with your life, you’ve cracked it…

over a year ago

"Got this far in life without killing anyone so not doing too badly "

Damn, is that a requirement?….

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Success I believe would come under mainly what is actually yours like home not everyone owns theirs then vehicle maybe a family some luxuries decent job with good pay able to pay all the bills and still have enough to enough themselves without it being a concern

By *ormalfornorfolkMan
over a year ago

Norwich

I’m still here

over a year ago

"Got this far in life without killing anyone so not doing too badly "

There's still time!

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

How many fabs I get on my latest dick pick…

over a year ago

"I’m still here"

Yep, that's my measure

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Success I believe would come under mainly what is actually yours like home not everyone owns theirs then vehicle maybe a family some luxuries decent job with good pay able to pay all the bills and still have enough to enough themselves without it being a concern "

I personally wouldn't measure my success at life by the material things I possess. Owning a house isn't essential for happiness etc.

over a year ago

"Got this far in life without killing anyone so not doing too badly

Damn, is that a requirement?…. "

No, but it's one hell of an achievement

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Success I believe would come under mainly what is actually yours like home not everyone owns theirs then vehicle maybe a family some luxuries decent job with good pay able to pay all the bills and still have enough to enough themselves without it being a concern

I personally wouldn't measure my success at life by the material things I possess. Owning a house isn't essential for happiness etc. "

But it's less of a concern you never know if you live in rented when the landlord wants to sell up so you've spent money on something that is never yours... It's taking away the pressures of life to be able to enjoy more freely

By *ez669Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Eqxh to Ower on, ive got a nice car well paying job a good nest egg in the bank and looking for a new house so I'd say im comfterble

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I measure it OP by doing something I appreciate to be happy in every single day, however small.

I might not be where I want to be yet… but I’m still here. And that to me is a bonus every single day

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Time and freedom. Both are better than wealth yet take a certain amount of wealth to achieve

By *hinyRavensWingMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Being a good human being, without expecting reciprocation, is success. At leat in my mind. I’m not rich but I like who I see in the mirror.

By *ez669Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Time and freedom. Both are better than wealth yet take a certain amount of wealth to achieve "

Agree with this time is the movest valuable thing on earth

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

My definition is: if I were to die tomorrow would I regret my life?

For me the honest answer is that I wouldn’t regret my life and so that makes me a success in my eyes. I have screwed a lot of things up (no pun intended) but overall I have lived the life I wanted to live.

By *irateBayMan
over a year ago

Hanworth

I think it helps to realise that only you yourself can measure your own success in life, nobody else can measure your success. Nobody else has the right to measure your success.

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

Success = As little hassle as possible and maximum free time to do as; and be with: who I please.

After that needs met.

By *unnyPairCouple
over a year ago

Seminole

Tough question to answer. Sure I’m not alone in saying that I have felt very successful during times, but not so much so during others. The crux is during the times when feeling less than, others might view you as still doing pretty good. In the end, if you’ve paved the way for a better life for others, I think you’ve done pretty well. Truly wishing everyone success in the future.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

One of my things is believing I have not lived up to what others, especially family, would say is a successful life, but then not sure how I would rate a successful life. "

You don't all you can do is live it the best way you know how, as a social group we tend to follow trend but as an individual you can do what you please within the law

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Having the time and courage to be adventurous , indefinitely curious , taking risks and spending spending lots of quality time with family, friends and myself

over a year ago

"My definition is: if I were to die tomorrow would I regret my life?

For me the honest answer is that I wouldn’t regret my life and so that makes me a success in my eyes. I have screwed a lot of things up (no pun intended) but overall I have lived the life I wanted to live."

This right here. I think it's a great way to explain it.

I don't measure my life against anyone else's either, they are not me and I am not them. My experiences are going to be different so we will be vastly different people.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

By my smile

By * Le ShhhhhMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"By my smile "

This