Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Coffee wars

Jump to newest

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTable OP   Couple
over a year ago

Leeds

So in town on the high street, costa has ruled the roost for many years, but about a year ago an independent opened across the street, and now a week ago a cafe nero has opened. I’ve never had a nero.

So my question is. Do I stay loyal to costa who I’m on first name terms with all the staff, or do I do a France and switch sides ?

I think I’d have to apologise if costa staff saw me in said nero.

The mr

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *hrek101Man
over a year ago

Herts

Depends if you actually like coffee or not...

By *ister_ee_1981Man
over a year ago

Sunniest Exeter...

This country operates on the basis of a free market. You as consumer choose where to spend your hard earned reddies.

Indulge in on of the others, see how it compares! The folks on Costa won't care if you go elsewhere (they arent paid enough to care that much!)

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What they going to do put extra cream in your coffee and switch milk to oat?

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

I'd personally support the local independent business when it comes to coffee where I can, but ultimately, it's your money and you're paying for a service you like. Go with what you enjoy! If I was in your position, I'd go 1. Local independent 2. Costa 3. Nero because it's actually shite

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Try the new places! Test ’em out. Survival of the fittest.

over a year ago

"So in town on the high street, costa has ruled the roost for many years, but about a year ago an independent opened across the street, and now a week ago a cafe nero has opened. I’ve never had a nero.

So my question is. Do I stay loyal to costa who I’m on first name terms with all the staff, or do I do a France and switch sides ?

I think I’d have to apologise if costa staff saw me in said nero.

The mr "

Take Nero out straight away - awful

Depends how good the independent is I guess

Costa always for me though

By *ittyandtheboyCouple
over a year ago

Back of the bins.

We’d probably go to them all in rotation, coffee 1 is popular in our area and does a great range of cake and a lot of it’s vegan!

over a year ago

If there is one where you live I like 200 degrees - their Blueberry cheesecake muffins hit the spot as well.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Independent all the way

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

I would try the independent - usually best, but no guarantee of course.

I'm out on a limb so far, but I much prefer Nero to Costa in my neck of the woods...

By *ervent_fervourMan
over a year ago

Halifax

Are the barista's fit? If bit the ruthlessness prevails.spread the knightly love around.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Why not do a different place every time?

Unless you're just doing takeaway, then I'd suggest trying out all the coffees and sticking with the best one.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

It would have to be my eponymous coffee chain.

I hate Costa.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Can't do Costa anymore because they changed their soya milk to vile artificially sweetened shite from Coca-Cola. Yuck

So I'd be going to Nero or the independent, but my decision is based on wheelchair access. Almost all Costas are wheelchair accessible. Most, but not all Neros are wheelchair accessible. Many independent coffee shops are not wheelchair accessible, and so could be serving the most amazing stuff for free, but I will be unable to partake.

By *3xDECouple
over a year ago

nottingham

I’m a Costa girl to the core. But recently had to change to decaffeinated due to medication.

I find Starbucks and cafe Nero too strong personally.

By *otSoPoshWoman
over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"Can't do Costa anymore because they changed their soya milk to vile artificially sweetened shite from Coca-Cola. Yuck

So I'd be going to Nero or the independent, but my decision is based on wheelchair access. Almost all Costas are wheelchair accessible. Most, but not all Neros are wheelchair accessible. Many independent coffee shops are not wheelchair accessible, and so could be serving the most amazing stuff for free, but I will be unable to partake. "

Come here... most of our independent cafes are accessible

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Can't do Costa anymore because they changed their soya milk to vile artificially sweetened shite from Coca-Cola. Yuck

So I'd be going to Nero or the independent, but my decision is based on wheelchair access. Almost all Costas are wheelchair accessible. Most, but not all Neros are wheelchair accessible. Many independent coffee shops are not wheelchair accessible, and so could be serving the most amazing stuff for free, but I will be unable to partake.

Come here... most of our independent cafes are accessible "

The NQ in Manchester is horrendous for inaccessible independent coffee shops and cafés

over a year ago

Costa could close tomorrow and they wouldn't even notice that you even shopped there, you are just a £££ to them

over a year ago

Leeds

"I'd personally support the local independent business when it comes to coffee where I can, but ultimately, it's your money and you're paying for a service you like. Go with what you enjoy! If I was in your position, I'd go 1. Local independent 2. Costa 3. Nero because it's actually shite"

I’ve never been in the independent, I keep meaning to go but I’m a creature of habit and only remember when I come out of costa.

The mr

over a year ago

Leeds

"Try the new places! Test ’em out. Survival of the fittest."

But what if they make a bad caramel latte, I don’t want to have to buy two

The mr

over a year ago

Leeds

"Are the barista's fit? If bit the ruthlessness prevails.spread the knightly love around."

Not really but there is a lad who sits at the back near the toilets scrolling fab. What he doesn’t realise is you can see his screen when you come out of the toilet.

The mr

over a year ago

Leeds

"It would have to be my eponymous coffee chain.

I hate Costa."

But they make a good caramel latte

The mr

over a year ago

Coffees not my cup of tea.

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

I quite often bump into the manager of the Starbucks I go to on a Sunday in the little independent coffee shop I walk to in the week.

We always do the "what're you doing here?", "no, what're YOU doing here?" thing but the coffee is much nicer (and a fair bit cheaper) so we're neither of us actually surprised.

A change is as good as a rest OP, definitely try them all!

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

If the independent one is better than for me it's a no brainer, support local . Didn't Coca Cola buy Costa out for billions? I mean, 1 less customer. I can't imagine they'd have that many fucks to give

By *iss DevilWoman
over a year ago

Bedford

Usually prefer independent coffee shops as they are often on the quirky side. But if I were to choose a chain, it would be Simmons all the way! Their baked goods are devine, not good if you're on a diet . Their coffee is not too bad either. Only downside - they are mostly in Greater London, Hartfordshire and just on the outskirts of Bedfordshire .

over a year ago

Leeds

We do love our Costa it's run by lovely local people franchised like the rest of them those saying support local, that doesn't exclude Costa franchises.

Mrs

By *omedyGuyMan
over a year ago

London

Always go independent. Better coffee and better karma.

In our small high street we have 3 Costa coffees and that’s only because Debenhams closed so we lost their branch also. 4 of the same chain was ridiculous, and the independents are always so much more welcoming anyway.

over a year ago

Love my Costa every day but can thoroughly recommend Tim Hortons coffee, I expected it to be McDonalds standard, it's definitely not, it's lush

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

Id make my own coz I'm too tight to pay big money for pretentious coffees

since you ask, Id say try the newer place if you want to. No room for brand loyalty these days, its all about the enjoyment you get from parting with your hard earned pennies.

By *abrina59TV/TS
over a year ago

submissive land

I go one Costa where staff are lovely & i dont even need ask as know my order (they do check still same though)

Then theres the local costa which no where as friendly so I go to the Independent who again friendly & come to know my preferences.

So its not even the chain or name it comes down to the staff, coffee quality & service in each & ever shop

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I live in a small town a one day counted how many places you can get coffee and there was 22. I tend to go independent but if I'm with my mum we go to Costa. She knows all the staff and customers and treats it like a social club

over a year ago

I hate all the mainstream coffee shops, way too expensive for my liking. I'd much prefer a small, local, independent shop.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We go where the coffee tastes best. Which recently has been straight home.

Post new Message to Thread