Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Broadband..

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Looking for help/recommendations...upgraded to full fibre on talk talk. Phone and amazon fire stick connection works well.

My laptop connection to teams and outlook persistently drops, at least every 20 minutes or so, but general Internet connection seems OK. Tried different fixes suggested by talk talk tech support but still dropping.

Which provider do you use? Is it reliable? Any suggestions as to what my issue is?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Try closing down all those pics you’re perving over and then press reset on the red button.

Or it could be the other way round

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is the Teams/Outlook access via a VPN?

over a year ago

"Is the Teams/Outlook access via a VPN?"

No VPN connection needed apparently. Its built into the laptop.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

It seems like it's not in a place to provide you the best results as in signal outside trees buildings block tree's are the worst

You may need to reposition your rooter

over a year ago

I'm with talk talk cos they were offering the best deal for the cheapest, other than the very rare outage and the internet drops, the broadband has been extremely good. I only get around 5-10mb/s download but that's more than enough for me. I remember having a 300kb download so a few Mb is perfectly fine. What is important though is the stability of the connection, packet loss and high ping are what kill it for me when I'm gaming online, and the connection I have is crisp. Which is even better given that I use the wifi so the router talk talk provide is pretty good for wifi

over a year ago

Is it Windows or Mac?

over a year ago

"Is it Windows or Mac?"

Windows

over a year ago

"It seems like it's not in a place to provide you the best results as in signal outside trees buildings block tree's are the worst

You may need to reposition your rooter "

The router is inside though?

over a year ago

"I'm with talk talk cos they were offering the best deal for the cheapest, other than the very rare outage and the internet drops, the broadband has been extremely good. I only get around 5-10mb/s download but that's more than enough for me. I remember having a 300kb download so a few Mb is perfectly fine. What is important though is the stability of the connection, packet loss and high ping are what kill it for me when I'm gaming online, and the connection I have is crisp. Which is even better given that I use the wifi so the router talk talk provide is pretty good for wifi"

How often does yours drop?

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

We always throw away the generic router provided by the ISP as 99% are manufactured by Amstrad but under different names.

So you can imagine the quality hence the poor performance.

Buy a decent quality router (Netgear etc) and dump the cheap tat provided by your provider.

By *hesblokeMan
over a year ago

Derbyshire village

"Looking for help/recommendations...upgraded to full fibre on talk talk. Phone and amazon fire stick connection works well.

My laptop connection to teams and outlook persistently drops, at least every 20 minutes or so, but general Internet connection seems OK. Tried different fixes suggested by talk talk tech support but still dropping.

Which provider do you use? Is it reliable? Any suggestions as to what my issue is?"

Do you work in the same room that the router is in? If so, use a wired connection.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

If you can use a wired connection and see if the problem still occurs, if it doesn't drop you know there is a wifi issue, it does drop it will be talk talk to fix.

over a year ago

Feel free to pm me and can run you through a few things.

Bit long winded to write bk n forth on here.

Jay

over a year ago

"Is it Windows or Mac?

Windows"

Check the Event Viewer app, there should be a network log. If you can see any message like "connection timed out" or "connection reset by peer" that might be something to run past talk talk tech support.

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
over a year ago

North West

"Looking for help/recommendations...upgraded to full fibre on talk talk. Phone and amazon fire stick connection works well.

Which provider do you use? Is it reliable? Any suggestions as to what my issue is?"

So everything else works OK? Firestick, WiFi on your phone?

Does your laptop work consistently well when you don't use teams ?

If its dropping with 1 app, it might be the app. Is your teams provided by your company ?

over a year ago

North West

Which provider do you use? Is it reliable? Any suggestions as to what my issue is?

If its dropping with 1 app, it might be the app. Is your teams provided by your company ? "

Sorry you mentioned outlook too.

Are they both provided by your work ?

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"It seems like it's not in a place to provide you the best results as in signal outside trees buildings block tree's are the worst

The router is inside though? "

Where it's supposed to be haha but at times it can work better in a different place within the home for better signal can you test the signal strength might help you

over a year ago

If its dropping with 1 app, it might be the app. Is your teams provided by your company ?

"

Yes

over a year ago

Where it's supposed to be haha but at times it can work better in a different place within the home for better signal can you test the signal strength might help you "

Ah right I see...been looking to see if there's any trees outside or something..

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Is it Windows or Mac?

Windows

Check the Event Viewer app, there should be a network log. If you can see any message like "connection timed out" or "connection reset by peer" that might be something to run past talk talk tech support."

Try this it'll reboot it

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Where it's supposed to be haha but at times it can work better in a different place within the home for better signal can you test the signal strength might help you

Ah right I see...been looking to see if there's any trees outside or something.."

The tree's don't always need to be outside your home but between you and the mast which interferes with frequency

over a year ago

"We always throw away the generic router provided by the ISP as 99% are manufactured by Amstrad but under different names.

So you can imagine the quality hence the poor performance.

Buy a decent quality router (Netgear etc) and dump the cheap tat provided by your provider."

Before I fork out for a new router, wouldn't the performance be poor on everything if it was a router issue?

over a year ago

First of all is the signal going into the router ‘in spec’ depending on who your supplier is they have different levels, then is your WiFi signal split 2g/5g? If not then it needs to be, zoom, teams require high transmission rates and 2g won’t cut it, use Speedtestdotnet to work out if there are any dead spots in the house and if there are, you need a wifi6 enabled router it’s decent ‘mesh’ WiFi booster setup, if you buying anything don’t buy cheap as it’s a waste of money, buy the best reviewed you can afford

over a year ago

"Is it Windows or Mac?

Windows

Check the Event Viewer app, there should be a network log. If you can see any message like "connection timed out" or "connection reset by peer" that might be something to run past talk talk tech support.

Try this it'll reboot it"

I just looked at the event viewer, I can see loads of warnings but nothing specific to teams or outlook

over a year ago

"First of all is the signal going into the router ‘in spec’ depending on who your supplier is they have different levels, then is your WiFi signal split 2g/5g? If not then it needs to be, zoom, teams require high transmission rates and 2g won’t cut it, use Speedtestdotnet to work out if there are any dead spots in the house and if there are, you need a wifi6 enabled router it’s decent ‘mesh’ WiFi booster setup, if you buying anything don’t buy cheap as it’s a waste of money, buy the best reviewed you can afford"

I didn't have any issues with talk talk until I upgraded to full fibre. Worked perfectly on everything...

over a year ago

"I'm with talk talk cos they were offering the best deal for the cheapest, other than the very rare outage and the internet drops, the broadband has been extremely good. I only get around 5-10mb/s download but that's more than enough for me. I remember having a 300kb download so a few Mb is perfectly fine. What is important though is the stability of the connection, packet loss and high ping are what kill it for me when I'm gaming online, and the connection I have is crisp. Which is even better given that I use the wifi so the router talk talk provide is pretty good for wifi

How often does yours drop?"

Probably only drops once every few months, sometimes even longer and after I do a little digging, I find that it's dropped due to line maintenance at the exchange which is inevitable

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Is it Windows or Mac?

Windows

Try this it'll reboot it

I just looked at the event viewer, I can see loads of warnings but nothing specific to teams or outlook "

What I'd do since you just upgraded I'd get them to come out, it might just need re-positioning

over a year ago

Have you tried switching it on an off and firmly hitting the screen with your palm?

over a year ago

"Is it Windows or Mac?

Windows

Try this it'll reboot it

I just looked at the event viewer, I can see loads of warnings but nothing specific to teams or outlook

What I'd do since you just upgraded I'd get them to come out, it might just need re-positioning "

Do you mean reposition the place where the wire comes into my home?

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Is it Windows or Mac?

Windows

Try this it'll reboot it

What I'd do since you just upgraded I'd get them to come out, it might just need re-positioning

Do you mean reposition the place where the wire comes into my home?"

The router might work better in another part of the room my neighbor had this issue that's why I'm familiar and did fix it

over a year ago

Talk talk are known for being a nightmare. I was with them years ago and got rid as soon as I could. I'm with BT now and have just upgraded to their full fiber 100 for £32 a month.

Pxx

over a year ago

North West

Yes "

If they are both the thing that drop and everything else is OK. I'd speak to your work IT support as well. If its dropping regularly in the same time period, it might be an issue at their end. There could be some weird security setting either at their end or on your laptop.

Good luck.

over a year ago

I live in the countryside and none of the providers are particularly great and we don't get fibre either

Its frustrating at times but a blessing at others

We are with plusnet and they are always super helpful

By *ansoffateMan
over a year ago

Sagittarius A

It could be your WiFi card in the laptop. Laptops run hot and WiFi cards are susceptible to heat failures under duress.

Video calling can take a lot of data transfer.

If you can try the laptop at a different location. That will rule out the router.

You could also try a cooling pad under the laptop if it seems like a heat issue. Basically a little platform with a fan on it like £20 on Amazon.

Check the machine works, as it should first, then the network.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Teams is notoriously bad on highly contended lines like talk talk , I always use 4G for teams.

Outlook shouldn’t care what you use it doesn’t require much, are you using an older version rather than office 365 ?

It’s getting to the point where cheap broadband is less effective than a decent mobile. In the UK I swapped a £60 VM line for a £10 a month myFi with Three and it’s better.

over a year ago

Probably best to try on some tech support forums rather than fab.

My only suggestions is to make sure your drivers are upto date on the laptop. And to try an ethernet cable. if the problem still persists if your using an ethernet cable then its the router or your connection from talk talk at fault. If the cable resolves the issue then the problem is at your end.

over a year ago

OK thanks everyone.

I'm going to try a couple of different things and if still have issues then I'm switching to BT.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

Temporarily turn •off• the firewall on the Router and then try again. There could be certain TCP/UDP ports that are being blocked by the firewall and any client proxy software on your (company issued) laptop.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"OK thanks everyone.

I'm going to try a couple of different things and if still have issues then I'm switching to BT."

Theres alot of wrong info on this thread.

Theres no need to change your router unless your having issues with it.

You would then need to run tests to find out what was wrong with your system and wires.

talk talk is provided by bt wires so any issues and its still a bt issue, unless your using talk talks mobile wireless.

You would be using ip tracert and ping test

I would suggest having a look at your power settings as it sounds like your laptop pc is droping into sleep mode.

Some systems are set at 20 mins and drop into sleep mode same with the wireless router

saying its not been used when infact its being used

it dosnt happen when your watching streaming sites as the system sends bounce signals back and forwards while your watching.

my advice is to use wired not wireless

For those that mentioned go out and buy a new router theres a few other things involved than just that.

unless you know how to port through your router your waisting your time and money.

There is an issue with outlook and teams with constant losing connection so its not just only you.

microsoft usual idiots replied wipe and reinstall was there comment as usual as its not there fault comment

there is issues with it though

Post new Message to Thread