Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tattoo

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Hey,

I'm thinking of having my first tattoo and it's going to be quite large ... how long and what aftercare will be needed?

Thanks in advance lovelies

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

As a person who has never had a tat and never will - I'm going to say ...... 6 months and tons of coconut oil.

over a year ago

"As a person who has never had a tat and never will - I'm going to say ...... 6 months and tons of coconut oil. "

Awesome! Thanks

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Hey,

I'm thinking of having my first tattoo and it's going to be quite large ... how long and what aftercare will be needed?

Thanks in advance lovelies "

Aloe Vera. Depends how big. My ex had hers, and it took a week to calm down. They do, however, look awesome

over a year ago

"Hey,

Aloe Vera. Depends how big. My ex had hers, and it took a week to calm down. They do, however, look awesome "

Thanks ... it'll need doing in stages but don't want to take time off work

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Hey,

Aloe Vera. Depends how big. My ex had hers, and it took a week to calm down. They do, however, look awesome

Thanks ... it'll need doing in stages but don't want to take time off work "

How big is it?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Definitely coconut oil.

I still wrapped it with clingfilm for a couple of days, more so because I was busy rushing around doing stuff and didn't want to knock it. Fresh clingfilm every time I applied coconut oil.

No picking!!

Time frame... It can vary, but give it a good few weeks anyway.

F

By *ontWannaMissASwingCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

Time will depend on size and intricacy. The tattooist will tell you when you discuss what you're getting. Same with aftercare. What I've been told has changed over the years. My last one said to use cocoa butter. There's also keeping it clingfilm covered for the first day or so (changing regularly for hygiene). Be prepared for the itching when it scabs, so difficult not to scratch it.

By *andy 1Couple
over a year ago

northeast

bepanthem its a baby bum cream it will be clear in about aweek the wife as 9

over a year ago

Ooohhh What? Where??

I got my first one last year, only small but I want more!!

Just itches like fuck a couple of days in!

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"bepanthem its a baby bum cream it will be clear in about aweek the wife as 9"

Sudocrem? Yeah, that's good too. The cling film is important

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

Ask your tattoo artist. The advice has changed so much over the years. The products available now are great at protecting your tattoo from damage and scarring, stuff like secondskin are game changers.

By *it-chrissyTV/TS
over a year ago

sw. london

"Hey,

Your tattooist should guide you in aftercare. warm (not hot) water to keep it clean, dab dry not rub. I use baby lotion to keep skin and scabs supple while healing.

2/3 weeks, you want the scabs to fall off slow and natural; too quick and they pull ink out with them.

Oh, and resist the urge to scratch x

over a year ago

Great advice and thanks! I have to plan it well as will probably have to do it around time off!

over a year ago

If you have underlying health conditions that prolong healing, they can take longer to heal on you than on others

My tattooists (and there have been 3) have always recommended bepanthan to help with initial care

By *adyBugsWoman
over a year ago

cognito

Do your homework. Use a reputable artist who creates styles you like. If you can walk in without an appointment I would have a serious think about it before going. Very few really good artists will be able to do walk ins, most have waiting lists of several weeks.

Also, regarding after care do not follow anyone else’s instructions other than the artist. They know their inks, they know their skills, they will have been tattooing a long time so listen to them. There are many ways to make sure it heals nicely but your artist will advise you on their suggested method. Listen to them.

The same goes for design and placement, if they suggest a change it’s usually because they know it’ll look better, after all this is their livelihood and you are an advert for them so they won’t want a bad walking advert.

Finally, listen to your instincts about them and the process, if you have any bad vibes about it walk away, there’s plenty of other artists out there that you’ll feel more comfortable with.

over a year ago

"Do your homework. Use a reputable artist who creates styles you like. If you can walk in without an appointment I would have a serious think about it before going. Very few really good artists will be able to do walk ins, most have waiting lists of several weeks.

Also, regarding after care do not follow anyone else’s instructions other than the artist. They know their inks, they know their skills, they will have been tattooing a long time so listen to them. There are many ways to make sure it heals nicely but your artist will advise you on their suggested method. Listen to them.

The same goes for design and placement, if they suggest a change it’s usually because they know it’ll look better, after all this is their livelihood and you are an advert for them so they won’t want a bad walking advert.

Finally, listen to your instincts about them and the process, if you have any bad vibes about it walk away, there’s plenty of other artists out there that you’ll feel more comfortable with."

I've found a tattoo artist that I love his work but will involve a lot of travelling! I'll be speaking to him as the first step for sure ...

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Hey,

Thanks ... it'll need doing in stages but don't want to take time off work

How big is it? "

5"

By *adyBugsWoman
over a year ago

cognito

"Do your homework. Use a reputable artist who creates styles you like. If you can walk in without an appointment I would have a serious think about it before going. Very few really good artists will be able to do walk ins, most have waiting lists of several weeks.

Finally, listen to your instincts about them and the process, if you have any bad vibes about it walk away, there’s plenty of other artists out there that you’ll feel more comfortable with.

I've found a tattoo artist that I love his work but will involve a lot of travelling! I'll be speaking to him as the first step for sure ... "

That’s great! I wish you luck and also enjoy the experience

By *ancsduoCouple
over a year ago

Morecambe

This works for us

By *orruptionandliesMan
over a year ago

leeds

Just wash it regularly with warm water and soap then moisturise it will be fine

Then you will want more, real therapeutic

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Your skin may react differently to what the tattooist advises for aftercare, so get a few options in stock to cover all options.

Personally for MY skincare I never cover after the initial film wrap. Wash gently twice a day with kids bodywash and moisture with a light shiny covering of bepanthen and it never scabs. I'm on my 7th now with a half sleeve in progress

I reacted to coconut butter and e45 on my first tattoo 28 years ago, so it is trial and error with what works, with your skins healing process.

Never Ever pick it though.

over a year ago

"Your skin may react differently to what the tattooist advises for aftercare, so get a few options in stock to cover all options.

Personally for MY skincare I never cover after the initial film wrap. Wash gently twice a day with kids bodywash and moisture with a light shiny covering of bepanthen and it never scabs. I'm on my 7th now with a half sleeve in progress

I reacted to coconut butter and e45 on my first tattoo 28 years ago, so it is trial and error with what works, with your skins healing process.

Never Ever pick it though. "

Oh thanks! Didn't think of that, sound advice

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Your skin may react differently to what the tattooist advises for aftercare, so get a few options in stock to cover all options.

Never Ever pick it though.

Oh thanks! Didn't think of that, sound advice "

It'll scab. Don't touch it. Remember what your mum said

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

The best answer for aftercare is you won't actually know until you can see how your skin accepts the ink to start with....

Day sessions are usually how most artists like to do large tattoos , so anything from a 9am to 5pm slot or 10am to 6pm.

This also depends if you can handle putting in shifts like that to get a tattoo finished.

I have a couple of times but it is a long slog to do.

My tattoo artist uses a special covering when it's done which is like a second skin.

It stays on for a week to 10 days, all the healing/leakage happens under the protective covering so once you actually remove it, you give it a wash with baby soap and it's done. No flaking/itching or risks of knocking bits of scabbed over tattoo off and ruining the design.

Everyone is different , bepanthen cream for me is hideous stuff as my skin can't breathe through it and it made one of my smaller tattoos get infected.

Research and take your time is the best solutions for any successful tattoo and definitely no drinking prior to long sessions as you'll bleed everywhere!

By *adeiteWoman
over a year ago

Poole, but up in lincs for a bit

Bapanthen for after or if they have their own tattoo balm get that. The bigger the tattoo the more scabbing. Don't itch it atall. Slap it. Keep it hydrated/moisturised but no hot showers. Luke warm water to wash with the most mild unfragranced soap, be very gentle. Once it scabs, good luck. Depending where it is it can be a bitch to move once the healings fully kicked in. Picking said scabs can result in removing the ink, leaving a bad scar and needing touch ups. You tattoo with never look as good as it does once fresh. Remember once healed to cover in sunscreen to prevent fading over time. It will hurt. It will be addictive. And it will be worth the pain.

By *allulah8091Woman
over a year ago

Harrogate

Just got my back done all my back took less then a week to heel, just keep on top of cream so the itching doesn't drive you mad

over a year ago

"Bapanthen for after or if they have their own tattoo balm get that. The bigger the tattoo the more scabbing. Don't itch it atall. Slap it. Keep it hydrated/moisturised but no hot showers. Luke warm water to wash with the most mild unfragranced soap, be very gentle. Once it scabs, good luck. Depending where it is it can be a bitch to move once the healings fully kicked in. Picking said scabs can result in removing the ink, leaving a bad scar and needing touch ups. You tattoo with never look as good as it does once fresh. Remember once healed to cover in sunscreen to prevent fading over time. It will hurt. It will be addictive. And it will be worth the pain. "

Ohhhhh sunscreen? Used forever?

By *asty tatsyMan
over a year ago

london

I have a few tattoos myself and I have always used bepanthen cream after, always wash with warm water once you get home and haven’t ever wrapped it back up

By *ittlemissmistressKCouple
over a year ago

Southampton

"Hey,

First thing is to keep it clean and dry... so don't get it wet in Bath or shower for the first couple of days. . I used dettol soap to gently clean mine...you'll probably find it gets itchy after a couple of days... resist the urge to scratch!!

over a year ago

"The best answer for aftercare is you won't actually know until you can see how your skin accepts the ink to start with....

Day sessions are usually how most artists like to do large tattoos , so anything from a 9am to 5pm slot or 10am to 6pm.

This also depends if you can handle putting in shifts like that to get a tattoo finished.

I have a couple of times but it is a long slog to do.

My tattoo artist uses a special covering when it's done which is like a second skin.

It stays on for a week to 10 days, all the healing/leakage happens under the protective covering so once you actually remove it, you give it a wash with baby soap and it's done. No flaking/itching or risks of knocking bits of scabbed over tattoo off and ruining the design.

Everyone is different , bepanthen cream for me is hideous stuff as my skin can't breathe through it and it made one of my smaller tattoos get infected.

Research and take your time is the best solutions for any successful tattoo and definitely no drinking prior to long sessions as you'll bleed everywhere! "

Hadn't even thought about the length of the session! Not that good at sitting still

over a year ago

The itching sounds like a nightmare

over a year ago

I always use bepanthem I. Getting my elbow and inside the crease of my arm done on Thursday

By *imexxxMan
over a year ago

NWales

My large leftside of back tatt, was a full day and a half day. After care, is very damp cloth for any blood smears dont rub or scrape or scratch. Then Bepanthen (nappy care ointm ) twice a day gently applied.Do this for 10 to 14 days. You will get terrible itching as it cures and possible small scabs, dont scratch or pull off the scabs. 2 weeks of hell really but then enjoy !!

By *imexxxMan
over a year ago

NWales

"My large leftside of back tatt, was a full day and a half day. After care, is very damp cloth for any blood smears dont rub or scrape or scratch. Then Bepanthen (nappy care ointm ) twice a day gently applied.Do this for 10 to 14 days. You will get terrible itching as it cures and possible small scabs, dont scratch or pull off the scabs. 2 weeks of hell really but then enjoy !!"

Just to say you should be advised aftercare by the tattooist anyways its part of their job.

over a year ago

Bepantham (nappy rash cream). We’re both tattooed and swear by it. In response to healing, it depends on the size and the individual. Mr’s heal quicker than mine yet mine are small

Mrs

over a year ago

I love to use bepanthen.

Time depends how big it is, how well you take the ink etc, do not pick the scabs.

By *EAT..85Woman
over a year ago

Nottingham

Your tattoo artist is the person to ask. But shop around for your artist and don't choose based on cost. This is art work on your body for the rest of your life.

I've always used bepanthen on my tats, but I used a natural tea tree ointment on my last one in January and it didn't scab over at all, it was a very different healing process and will be my chosen method going forwards.

You will get 30 different responses saying 30 different things on here!

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

Some reallllllllly bad advice in here (some good too). I’m about 90% covered, have pieces from some of the best artists, have some truly awful tattoos from shit artists and consider myself a bit of a tattoo snob these days.

Regarding aftercare; as a couple have mentioned speak to your artist, they’ll give the best advice, however do NOT use bepanthen, sudocreme, or keep clingfilmed. Everyone heals different and it depends on a lot of different factors.

My personal healing process now mostly depends on the size & placement, but let’s say it’s a hand sized piece on thigh. For that I’ll usually keep the dressing the artist applies on for up to 2 hours (remove sooner if leaking), wash hands thoroughly then clean the tattoo with hot water only until all gunk/plasma clear. I then apply second skin (or equivalent) over the tattoo and this typically stays on for 4-5 days (I chance sooner if leaking, itching bad, react etc). I then remove in a hot shower and clean thoroughly with warm water again. At this point it’s typically healed past the scabbing (hence the second skin) and I then apply a VERY thin amount of hustle butter. Repeat morning & night until fully healed.

Healing time is impossible to give really as everyone’s different. Again speak to your artist, but typically a couple of weeks before settles and stay away from pools, sea, sunbeds, scented baths etc.

Best piece of advice though…

- Do A LOT of research and pick your artist based on their work, not their price or location. A good tattoo ain’t cheap and a cheap tattoo ain’t good.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Oh, and we need to see the results

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

my tattoo artist was fantastic.

my skin was a mess after the fire and he designed everything, spoke to me at length about the process and all the aftercare.

my body was still giving me a burning sensation before he started so the pain wasnt a factor.

spent a lot of money but i get a lot of nice comments about them.

used after inked to look after them.

over a year ago

"my tattoo artist was fantastic.

my skin was a mess after the fire and he designed everything, spoke to me at length about the process and all the aftercare.

my body was still giving me a burning sensation before he started so the pain wasnt a factor.

"

After inked?

over a year ago

"Some reallllllllly bad advice in here (some good too). I’m about 90% covered, have pieces from some of the best artists, have some truly awful tattoos from shit artists and consider myself a bit of a tattoo snob these days.

Regarding aftercare; as a couple have mentioned speak to your artist, they’ll give the best advice, however do NOT use bepanthen, sudocreme, or keep clingfilmed. Everyone heals different and it depends on a lot of different factors.

My personal healing process now mostly depends on the size & placement, but let’s say it’s a hand sized piece on thigh. For that I’ll usually keep the dressing the artist applies on for up to 2 hours (remove sooner if leaking), wash hands thoroughly then clean the tattoo with hot water only until all gunk/plasma clear. I then apply second skin (or equivalent) over the tattoo and this typically stays on for 4-5 days (I chance sooner if leaking, itching bad, react etc). I then remove in a hot shower and clean thoroughly with warm water again. At this point it’s typically healed past the scabbing (hence the second skin) and I then apply a VERY thin amount of hustle butter. Repeat morning & night until fully healed.

Healing time is impossible to give really as everyone’s different. Again speak to your artist, but typically a couple of weeks before settles and stay away from pools, sea, sunbeds, scented baths etc.

- Do A LOT of research and pick your artist based on their work, not their price or location. A good tattoo ain’t cheap and a cheap tattoo ain’t good."

Thanks glad I asked now as so much to think about!

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

I used bepanthen on my legafter my first session and I've never had an itch like it. That got sent the journey quickly. Like someone else said, make sure you have options cause people's skins react differently. E45 cream brings me out in a rash, like instantly.

By *imexxxMan
over a year ago

NWales

"Some reallllllllly bad advice in here (some good too). I’m about 90% covered, have pieces from some of the best artists, have some truly awful tattoos from shit artists and consider myself a bit of a tattoo snob these days.

- Do A LOT of research and pick your artist based on their work, not their price or location. A good tattoo ain’t cheap and a cheap tattoo ain’t good."

I'll put this down to an opinion rather than fact. But you're wrong to tell people not to use Bepanthem as its recommended by top Artists and it works especially for me and others on here, so its not a 'Dont use' as you say.

By *lan4FFUUNNMan
over a year ago

Genoa Italy and Liverpool

Love to see tattooed ladies x

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

After inked? "

after inked. its a tattoo aftercare lotion

over a year ago

After inked?

after inked. its a tattoo aftercare lotion"

Thanks

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

- Do A LOT of research and pick your artist based on their work, not their price or location. A good tattoo ain’t cheap and a cheap tattoo ain’t good.

I'll put this down to an opinion rather than fact. But you're wrong to tell people not to use Bepanthem as its recommended by top Artists and it works especially for me and others on here, so its not a 'Dont use' as you say."

Not at all. Bepanthen used to be good, but they changed it a while ago.

It’s probably the one myself (and very artist I know) recommend to stay away from the most. Too thick and too greasy.

None of the artists I’ve seen recommend it, but if it works for you crack on I guess.

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

After inked?

after inked. its a tattoo aftercare lotion

Thanks "

Good luck

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

I think everyone has covered the aftercare the only thing I would ask is if this is your first one, do you know you'll be able to stick the pain for a large tattoo? Different areas have different pain levels and obviously everyone takes pain differently. It may be better starting with a small one (or a small part that won't look odd on its own?) to see if you are comfortable enough to finish a large piece?

over a year ago

"I think everyone has covered the aftercare the only thing I would ask is if this is your first one, do you know you'll be able to stick the pain for a large tattoo? Different areas have different pain levels and obviously everyone takes pain differently. It may be better starting with a small one (or a small part that won't look odd on its own?) to see if you are comfortable enough to finish a large piece? "

Oh it has a small bit that could be left on it's own luckily! Just in case ...

By *oelDorianMan
over a year ago

vanaheim

"Hey,

Depends where and depends on size my back one took a couple months then I took 6 months before getting my next one. But I wouldn’t suggest something huge as your first one I would suggest something small

By *oelDorianMan
over a year ago

vanaheim

Bepanthen has a specific tattoo version now so I use that regularly

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

Just to clarify I’m talking about the Bepanthen baby rash cream. They actually do a tattoo specific cream, but I’ve not used (and don’t know anyone that has) so can’t judge.

The fact they’ve brought out an ointment specifically for tattoos should tell you the original isn’t suitable.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

"Hey,

You’re not getting my cock tattoo’d across your tits are you?

over a year ago

"Hey,

You’re not getting my cock tattoo’d across your tits are you? "

He's back. Omg. Where is the red carpet!!

F

By *rC99Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

I've always used bepanthen and wrapped each tattoo in cling film for a day or two (unless in work then kept it wrapped for a few more days).

To deal with the itchiness of them when healing, i'd gently tap it to take away the itchiness

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

"Hey,

You’re not getting my cock tattoo’d across your tits are you?

He's back. Omg. Where is the red carpet!!

F"

It leads all the way to your bedroom

By *andacouple3Couple
over a year ago

Chatham

A lot of people have recommended Bepanthon and I would agree that it is the best cream to use: used regularly it will prevent hard scabbing and when the healing is complete the 'scab' will just fall off. However I don't like the mess it leaves on clothing so I normally use E45.

By *oelDorianMan
over a year ago

vanaheim

"Just to clarify I’m talking about the Bepanthen baby rash cream. They actually do a tattoo specific cream, but I’ve not used (and don’t know anyone that has) so can’t judge.

The fact they’ve brought out an ointment specifically for tattoos should tell you the original isn’t suitable."

I’ve used it since my back tattoo and it reduces the healing time as it has more lanolin in it and it reduces scabbing

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"Just to clarify I’m talking about the Bepanthen baby rash cream. They actually do a tattoo specific cream, but I’ve not used (and don’t know anyone that has) so can’t judge.

The fact they’ve brought out an ointment specifically for tattoos should tell you the original isn’t suitable.

I’ve used it since my back tattoo and it reduces the healing time as it has more lanolin in it and it reduces scabbing"

Ah fair play. I always use hustle butter and/or aveeno these days, but everyone heals different.

over a year ago

As very heavily tattooed people - we always use second skin .

Applied at the studio and leave on for as long as poss (usually 2-3 days ) once it comes off jobs a good un . Good wash with warm soapy water and if needed a bit of moisturizer but generally not needed

All these creams / lotions and potions specifically for tattoos are just a gimick to get your cash

By *oelDorianMan
over a year ago

vanaheim

I’ve had more added to mine today

By *nkyCplCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"As very heavily tattooed people - we always use second skin .

Applied at the studio and leave on for as long as poss (usually 2-3 days ) once it comes off jobs a good un . Good wash with warm soapy water and if needed a bit of moisturizer but generally not needed

All these creams / lotions and potions specifically for tattoos are just a gimick to get your cash "

Second Skin has been a revelation for me!!!

By *inkyInkedBiWoman
over a year ago

Second skin is brilliant. Leave it on for a few days. Gently wash and replace if needed. It’ll look quite gloopy with the plasma but the second skin helps to stop it scabbing and losing colour.

Before this I used to use cling film - wash and reapply 3 times a day for five days.

Tattoo goo has always worked for me

By *bitjesusMan
over a year ago

darwen

Your tattoo artist will give you all the information you’ll need, follow that

You’ll get a million different opinions on what’s ‘right’

Generally though, if they use saniderm, or some kind of second skin, the healing process is relatively straight forward

By *attoo manMan
over a year ago

Rhyl

As long as you look after it. A couple of weeks. I never put anything on mine just let it heal naturally. Never had a problem with any of mine.

over a year ago

Thanks everyone it's been illuminating and learned loads ... off to check products on my skin and to arrange said tattoo (not sure if I want a long or a short wait!)

Post new Message to Thread