Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is vacuumed packed mince good?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I read an article of how sainsburies is the first retailer to sell vacuumed packed mince.

Consumers have complained packaging condenses the mince into a 'liver-like texture' that breaks up into a "mash".

They changed their packaging to reduce plastic usage which I find is a good idea.

What is your view about it, is it a good idea to have it vacuumed packed snd have you tried it? I havent tried it yet

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I bought some a few weeks ago and I didn’t notice a difference.

over a year ago

Have not tried that yet shag. Sounds a good idea if it reduces waste tho.

I’ve received vacuum packed balls of wool before, they’re flat as a pancake and when you cut the packaging open they explode

By * Le ShhhhhMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

I complained about it Shag! it’s like a big beef burger that you mince yourself not happy!!

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

No going and hunting your own that feeds on wild flower and grass without being farmed and injected with steriods is miles better though.

By *atfuckerbristolMan
over a year ago

Wells

I got some and it was fine. People don’t like change. Or Liver, by the sounds of things…

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

I found that the vacuum packed meat was too tightly packed so it came apart in clumps which took longer to cook which in itself isn’t very environmentally friendly. I’ve also read that the new packaging isn’t recyclable whereas the old packaging was.

If they don’t change it back I will buy my mince elsewhere.

over a year ago

I only buy mince for the dog

He hasn't complained

Yet

over a year ago

"No going and hunting your own that feeds on wild flower and grass without being farmed and injected with steriods is miles better though."

We totally second this

over a year ago

Happily buy mine at the butcher's, especially as it comes in a paper bag! Hate all the package ...

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

squashed mince

What will the world find to moan about next?

I can't comment as I don't eat flesh , whether it's in one piece or has been mangled beyond recognition.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I bought some a few weeks ago and I didn’t notice a difference."
That sounds good to me, that it was all fine too

over a year ago

Come for the swinging, stay for the kitchen tips

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"I read an article of how sainsburies is the first retailer to sell vacuumed packed mince.

Consumers have complained packaging condenses the mince into a 'liver-like texture' that breaks up into a "mash".

They changed their packaging to reduce plastic usage which I find is a good idea.

What is your view about it, is it a good idea to have it vacuumed packed snd have you tried it? I havent tried it yet

"

Sainsburys were also the first supermarket to introduce genetically altered food products without actually telling anyone, i always read the product details so i noticed it straight off but as soon as the rest of their customers noticed it uproar and GM taken off, so i would be wary of anything sainsburys does in the name of the environment

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"I read an article of how sainsburies is the first retailer to sell vacuumed packed mince.

"

I’ve just bought some! Only a little 250g pack but I’ll be cooking it tomorrow night. Bought as a deliberate experiment because I’d read the nation’s uproar.

I shall report back!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I’ve just bought some! Only a little 250g pack but I’ll be cooking it tomorrow night. Bought as a deliberate experiment because I’d read the nation’s uproar.

I shall report back! "

What dish will you produce ?

By *eardedwonder999Man
over a year ago

Worcester

Nation uproar because someone packed their meat differently lol

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

I bought it and didn't think anything of it. Cooked it and ate it, and still very tasty.

People just don't like change.

over a year ago

"Nation uproar because someone packed their meat differently lol "

It goes to show just how conditioned we are...

And how change averse many of us are

From what I have seen most of the outrage has been over clumps of mince as opposed to grains of mince

Either way, it's still mushed up dead cow

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

"Nation uproar because someone packed their meat differently lol

From what I have seen most of the outrage has been over clumps of mince as opposed to grains of mince

Either way, it's still mushed up dead cow "

And mushed up dead cow tastes great along with most mushed up dead animals.

The only way to resolve this is to sell it loose & take your own container. Just like the time before all the plastic trays.

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

"No going and hunting your own that feeds on wild flower and grass without being farmed and injected with steriods is miles better though."
Don't get many wild cows roaming the streets of teesside unfortunately. Not the bovine kind at least.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Have not tried that yet shag. Sounds a good idea if it reduces waste tho.

I’ve received vacuum packed balls of wool before, they’re flat as a pancake and when you cut the packaging open they explode "

Yes, it is good if it reduces the waste too, it seems that the packaging uses a minimum of 55% less plastic, it is a goal that the company is working towards by 2025, which is good, yes, it could explode too as it did with your wool there

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

"No going and hunting your own that feeds on wild flower and grass without being farmed and injected with steriods is miles better though.Don't get many wild cows roaming the streets of teesside unfortunately. Not the bovine kind at least."

over a year ago

The only way to resolve this is to sell it loose & take your own container. Just like the time before all the plastic trays. "

Come on mate… mushed up dead animals? What like cats and dogs? Have a bit of respect - if people had to kill their own food to eat it, many would turn veggie. Back to topic, I’m all for reduced plastic waste and like someone said if you get your meat from the butchers then they usually serve it in a paper bag.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

I shall report back!

What dish will you produce ?"

I’m doing a cheeky Felix freestyle. It’ll be tomato and chilli sauce with courgettes and mushrooms. Nothing special just in case it turns out to be a disaster!

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"I’ve also read that the new packaging isn’t recyclable whereas the old packaging was.

"

I think this is a really key point that has gone under the radar, somewhat. People are focusing on the mince appearance but they made this change to save on 450 tonnes of plastic per year. We used to be able to recycle all that, now we can’t recycle any of it.

By *elinda BeaverCouple
over a year ago

Nottinghamshire

I used it recently and have to say that it put me off. It came out the package slimy and so compact that you do have to try and mince it. It tastes the same but looks vile and has made a quick meal a ball ache.

over a year ago

"I’ve also read that the new packaging isn’t recyclable whereas the old packaging was.

I think this is a really key point that has gone under the radar, somewhat. People are focusing on the mince appearance but they made this change to save on 450 tonnes of plastic per year. We used to be able to recycle all that, now we can’t recycle any of it."

I think, for me, that's it

I think it was probably designed to improve Sainsbury's profits as opposed to improve their environmental impact, but dressed up as the opposite

It's been a massive PR backfire in that respect

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

The only way to resolve this is to sell it loose & take your own container. Just like the time before all the plastic trays.

Come on mate… mushed up dead animals? What like cats and dogs? Have a bit of respect - if people had to kill their own food to eat it, many would turn veggie. Back to topic, I’m all for reduced plastic waste and like someone said if you get your meat from the butchers then they usually serve it in a paper bag."

People do eat cats and dogs. It may not be your culture to do so but it happens.

I personally haven't enjoyed much of the meat of animals that actually eat a lot of meat as their main diet. So I don't think I'd like cat or dog.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I found that the vacuum packed meat was too tightly packed so it came apart in clumps which took longer to cook which in itself isn’t very environmentally friendly. I’ve also read that the new packaging isn’t recyclable whereas the old packaging was.

If they don’t change it back I will buy my mince elsewhere."

That is right, sometimes it can be too tightly packed as well.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

It doesn’t look as appealing - got to be honest but if it reduces plastic by half then it can only be a good thing.

K

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Is any mince 'good'?

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

"No going and hunting your own that feeds on wild flower and grass without being farmed and injected with steriods is miles better though.Don't get many wild cows roaming the streets of teesside unfortunately. Not the bovine kind at least."
No, but you can buy wild organic meet online which is much better then processed vacuum back meet which contain steriods and other non organic substances.

If from Newcastle and I know plenty of wild cows, just go to the city center on a Friday or Saturday night.

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

It's disgusting

Looks off colour in the packaging, and then when you try to take it out the packet you end up with something that looks like dark grey/brown slimy playdoh.

Doesn't break down like Mince usually does, takes forever to cook which makes you wonder what's been put in it to make it go like that.

Won't be buying it again

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

"Happily buy mine at the butcher's, especially as it comes in a paper bag! Hate all the package ... "

This

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Simple really, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s not as if there’s a lack of choice.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I complained about it Shag! it’s like a big beef burger that you mince yourself not happy!!

"

I see, yes, abit different there.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Happily buy mine at the butcher's, especially as it comes in a paper bag! Hate all the package ... "
That sounds also good to me

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I work sainsburys as a online shopper and tbh it looks rank! Heard customers moaning about it! Apparently it sticks together! Wouldn't know myself as don't eat meat ! Looks cheap x

over a year ago

Ive bought fresh meat which is vacuum packed from Aldi along with fish and it's fine. Maybe just the way their supplier has done it. As long as it's OK when cooked then shouldn't be a problem.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"Happily buy mine at the butcher's, especially as it comes in a paper bag! Hate all the package ... That sounds also good to me "

The funny thing is, it was done like that decades ago and changed to plastics as an "improvement". I always wonder who these improvements are designed for

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

"No going and hunting your own that feeds on wild flower and grass without being farmed and injected with steriods is miles better though.Don't get many wild cows roaming the streets of teesside unfortunately. Not the bovine kind at least. No, but you can buy wild organic meet online which is much better then processed vacuum back meet which contain steriods and other non organic substances.

If from Newcastle and I know plenty of wild cows, just go to the city center on a Friday or Saturday night."

I know, I get a monthly delivery. Mostly beef and elk now but I've had all sorts since I started getting the deliveries about a year ago.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"squashed mince

What will the world find to moan about next?

I can't comment as I don't eat flesh , whether it's in one piece or has been mangled beyond recognition. "

That is also good .

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I normally buy in large quantities when on offer and vacuum / freeze in 250g portions. With any mince I would defrost first then break it up whist cooking slowly to avoid clumps.

over a year ago

I just thinking about putting on the grill and making a giant burger

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/04/23 19:38:42]

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

I shall report back! "

That is good you have it and yes, let us know he it goes too

over a year ago

The minced beef in vacuum packaging isn't the only thing Sainsbury's has fucked up in the name of being "environmentally friendly" with "sustainable/less packaging".

For those who know, Sainsbury's used to sell their scallops and prawn in lobster bisque in pairs of terracotta ramekins. As of April 1, they swapped those perfectly fine actual ramekins that you could wash and keep for any number of uses in your kitchen or anything you can come up with... for those made out of the stupid vacuum-moulded ovenproof plastic you get with some ready meals. One-third the size of the original ramekins, with zero cost savings for customers because the price remained the same. Not to mention the now-plastic ramekins don't allow for even heating up of the food inside, which means you get the top cooked but the bottom's all watery and not properly reduced to make a creamy consistency. Plus a lot of plastic can't be recycled again once it's food-contaminated (even if supposedly washed clean) so they just end up in landfill anyway.

over a year ago

I remember the good old days where you had to do your own mince with that little gadget you clamped to a table top and and poked bits of whatever into it to make your mince. Spoilt today.

Actually I bet those little meat grinders would do good mash? Or swede.

over a year ago

Oh won't people stop complaining about the smallest things?

It's a new packaging for mince. Yes I've bought some, tried it, and it's the same as it ever was.

Xx

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I bought it and didn't think anything of it. Cooked it and ate it, and still very tasty.

People just don't like change."

That is good it was ok too

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Apparently it was how they walked on the moon.

By *artin23456Man
over a year ago

basingstoke

I have to admit it’s horrible for making burgers the meat is wet and hard to form into shape . I think it might be down to no paper inside to soak up the juices

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The vac packed Sainsbury's mince is fine. Tastes exactly the same as before they changed the packaging and no issues with cooking it.

We've never been able to recycle plastic food packaging here in the two NW towns we've lived in since 2008, so I suppose halving the waste is something of an improvement. Better still would be the ability to recycle more than just plastic bottles (but not the lids!) My Dad (in a different NW town) can recycle all manner of plastic items in his domestic waste bin. Totally different to here.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"The vac packed Sainsbury's mince is fine. Tastes exactly the same as before they changed the packaging and no issues with cooking it.

We've never been able to recycle plastic food packaging here in the two NW towns we've lived in since 2008, so I suppose halving the waste is something of an improvement. Better still would be the ability to recycle more than just plastic bottles (but not the lids!) My Dad (in a different NW town) can recycle all manner of plastic items in his domestic waste bin. Totally different to here."

That is good that it also tastes the same and yes, you are right there, we cant recycle it, so the best thing is for the supermarkets to use less packing of it

over a year ago

"I bought some a few weeks ago and I didn’t notice a difference."

Me neither. Once its cooked it tastes exactly the same. & defrosts quicker I found. X

Post new Message to Thread