Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Golly's seized

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

A pub in a place called Grays which is in a part of Essex that most consider to be really in London, has been raided by an extraordinary amount of police to seize a Golly collection from behind the bar in case it constituted a hate crime. How many would turn up if the pub had been burgled ?

It's all over the news

(thread closed by moderator)

Reply privately

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Omg I've got a little pewter gollie

Reply privately

By *opinovMan
over a year ago

Point Nemo, Cumbria

Apparently, the landlord was heard to exclaim, "Golly gosh!"

Reply privately

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Guess that left him in a bit of a jam?

Reply privately

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

Doesn’t the Chief of Essex Police identify as BJ

(Harrington) is it any wonder such decisions are made..??

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I can understand that a Golly would be considered offensive these days. So probably best not to have a public display of them.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"A pub in a place called Grays which is in a part of Essex that most consider to be really in London, has been raided by an extraordinary amount of police to seize a Golly collection from behind the bar in case it constituted a hate crime. How many would turn up if the pub had been burgled ?

It's all over the news"

Cant trust those gollys. Will they be stringing them up form lampposts? Its like a viz comic episode. Surreal world at times. Presumably theyll be rounding up all those action man and barbie dolls too.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I can understand that a Golly would be considered offensive these days. So probably best not to have a public display of them. "

Or not go in the pub?

Reply privately

By *mma29Couple
over a year ago

wirral

Are the gollys now in jail?

Reply privately

over a year ago

The Golly’s have been considered offensive for decades.

Reply privately

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

They must have been jammed in that bar

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Well I haven't read the story but I would imagine that the landlord has been warned many times and has intentionally and with malicious intent left them on display.

As said above they have been considered offensive for a very long time.

And really the only reason that you would have them on display would be to offend.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I've got a golly ceramic and badge from my childhood. I keep them in a drawer and wouldn't display them. I had a book when I was young that my mum tried to give me a couple of years ago. She couldn't understand why I didn't want it in the house but it was incredibly racist

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Golly’s have been considered offensive for decades. "

Only by guilt-ridden white folk. My nanny was from Nigeria and she has a collection of about 100. We used to play with them together when I was little. I asked her a few years back if she thought they were offensive, and she she told me that the golly was a well-dressed black man with a smile on his face, so what was offensive about that to a black person? One of her carers at her home told her they were offensive and quite upset her - a fat white guy with metal all over his face and a man-bun. He now works at McDonalds.

Bess x

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't know anyone who would consider Grays to be part of London - and I grew up not far from it.

It's this side of the M25 for a start.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The Golly’s have been considered offensive for decades.

Only by guilt-ridden white folk. My nanny was from Nigeria and she has a collection of about 100. We used to play with them together when I was little. I asked her a few years back if she thought they were offensive, and she she told me that the golly was a well-dressed black man with a smile on his face, so what was offensive about that to a black person? One of her carers at her home told her they were offensive and quite upset her - a fat white guy with metal all over his face and a man-bun. He now works at McDonalds.

Bess x"

I think the fact that nobody in this thread has called them by their full name tells you that they all know they are offensive. Just because one black person doesn’t find them offensive doesn’t mean that all black people don’t.

Reply privately

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Bess x"

What has the guy's size, piercings and current job got to do with it?

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Well its not politically correct sieze all gollys I'd say

Reply privately

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Who makes the laws on what is considered offensive and do they publish updates for old people not on TikTok to keep up with the new laws ?

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Nothing wrong with golliewogs, but we all know that some would find them offensive, so probably best not to display them in your place of business?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Who makes the laws on what is considered offensive and do they publish updates for old people not on TikTok to keep up with the new laws ? "

Robertson’a marmalade discontinued them in the early 2000’s. Well before TikTok.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Nothing wrong with golliewogs, but we all know that some would find them offensive, so probably best not to display them in your place of business?"

Ermmm I think you will find that a offensive,I'm don't know where you live but that term has been a derogatory insult for a very long time .

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

By whom? Just wondering who is being offended on my behalf.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Well I haven't read the story but I would imagine that the landlord has been warned many times and has intentionally and with malicious intent left them on display.

And really the only reason that you would have them on display would be to offend."

Lot of assumptions youre making there. You have no idea why they might be on display.

Reply privately

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

If you think Gollys are bad then imagine mu surprise the first time I was in Holland and saw people dressing up as Zwarte Piet

Reply privately

over a year ago

By whom? Just wondering who is being offended on my behalf. "

No idea who originally decided they were offensive but a quick google search brought up this….

“By the 1960s, both the use of the term 'golliwog' and the dolls themselves were under increasing attack. Seen at best as racially insensitive and at worst as racist and vicious, golliwogs were gradually removed from public life.

In 1983, the Greater London Council banned Robertson's products from its jurisdiction, and in 1988 the character was no longer use in TV advertising.”

So they’ve been deemed offensive for long enough for everyone in this thread to know about it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Well I haven't read the story but I would imagine that the landlord has been warned many times and has intentionally and with malicious intent left them on display.

And really the only reason that you would have them on display would be to offend.

Lot of assumptions youre making there. You have no idea why they might be on display. "

Ermmm the fact that the police raided the establishment and confiscated the display kinda says it all.

Reply privately

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

The question raised by the OP was “ how many Police would have turned up if it was a burglary” funny how people twist things for their agenda….

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I don't know anyone who would consider Grays to be part of London - and I grew up not far from it.

It's this side of the M25 for a start.

"

It's only just outside the M25 but that is not what separates Essex from London..

North Essex is full of leafy areas and Grays is..

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"The question raised by the OP was “ how many Police would have turned up if it was a burglary” funny how people twist things for their agenda…."

They missed that.. and well spotted

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"The question raised by the OP was “ how many Police would have turned up if it was a burglary” funny how people twist things for their agenda…."

Quick answer. If it was burglary in progress, as many as were free to go. Most cops like to catch burglars.

If it was a burglary that had already happened, one at most. How many do you think would be needed?

If it's to raid a pub, it would depend on the nature of the pub and the threat assessment you had carried out. To be honest though, I expect you could pick a time when it wasn't busy.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"an extraordinary amount of police "

How many is that Tom?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"The question raised by the OP was “ how many Police would have turned up if it was a burglary” funny how people twist things for their agenda….

Quick answer. If it was burglary in progress, as many as were free to go. Most cops like to catch burglars.

If it was a burglary that had already happened, one at most. How many do you think would be needed?

If it's to raid a pub, it would depend on the nature of the pub and the threat assessment you had carried out. To be honest though, I expect you could pick a time when it wasn't busy.

Gbat "

GBAT

And how many needed to seize gollys from publicans aged over 60..

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"And how many needed to seize gollys from publicans aged over 60.."

Read the last paragraph of my first post, and then perhaps answer my second post.

Cheers Tom,

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Breaking News...

12 Police Officers descend on a Punch and Judy show on Southend and seize punch because his domestic violence on judy could be a hate crime..

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a family have been burgled and police will turn up next Thursday..

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"an extraordinary amount of police

How many is that Tom?

Gbat"

Watch the video.. it's readily available online...

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

C'mon Tom. You can do better than that. Answer the questions!

Gbat

Reply privately

over a year ago

The police just about outnumbered the golliwogs.Apparently it was recorded as a "hate crime ". Pathetic

Reply privately

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"The question raised by the OP was “ how many Police would have turned up if it was a burglary” funny how people twist things for their agenda….

Is that question for me as you’re responding to my post..?

It was not my question and I was merely highlighting the original question.

And if that well know fact sheet that reported the story The Daily Mail is correct ( the number who turned up was six..

Gbat "

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

" Watch the video.. it's readily available online..."

Is this click bait?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"C'mon Tom. You can do better than that. Answer the questions!

Gbat "

Tom is not your secretary and never will be your researcher ..

Goodnight GBAT

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well I think it's fair to say that the gollys posed little threat to the police but they arrived in all their glory ..

Tooled up and in full PPE

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Well I think it's fair to say that the gollys posed little threat to the police but they arrived in all their glory ..

Tooled up and in full PPE"

They always patrol wearing their PPE. Do you think they should leave it outside before they go in?

Do you think the PPE was for the Gollies or for the humans inland around the pub?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Well I think it's fair to say that the gollys posed little threat to the police but they arrived in all their glory ..

Tooled up and in full PPE

They always patrol wearing their PPE. Do you think they should leave it outside before they go in?

Do you think the PPE was for the Gollies or for the humans inland around the pub?

Gbat "

You are the expert...Prey Tell ?

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"You are the expert...Prey Tell ?"

No they shouldn't.

For the humans.

Is it prey, or pray? surely the latter?

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"You are the expert...Prey Tell ?

No they shouldn't.

For the humans.

Is it prey, or pray? surely the latter?

Gbat "

Apart from being nominated as a perfect for the Grimmer police..

Please give a reasoned comment to those, that do not include Tom, who are remotely interested in what you have to say..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A pub in a place called Grays which is in a part of Essex that most consider to be really in London, has been raided by an extraordinary amount of police to seize a Golly collection from behind the bar in case it constituted a hate crime. How many would turn up if the pub had been burgled ?

It's all over the news"

Is it really "all over the news"?

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Nothing wrong with golliewogs, but we all know that some would find them offensive, so probably best not to display them in your place of business?

Ermmm I think you will find that a offensive,I'm don't know where you live but that term has been a derogatory insult for a very long time ."

I was talking about the little toy dolls. They are only offensive if they offend you.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's all over the news

Is it really "all over the news"?"

Yes

Reply privately

over a year ago

According to the report the police received a complaint which was anonymous,how fortunate not to have any proof of said complaint.Just watched the video and three cops were parked up waiting for "backup " lol.Then three more turned up so they felt safe enough to walk in while a barmaid held the door for them.The pub was closed and the criminal in question was a little old woman in her 60s who was questioned there and then.

The police wonder why the public are losing/have lost confidence in them

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's all over the news

Yes "

Daily Mail reading again?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"According to the report the police received a complaint which was anonymous,how fortunate not to have any proof of said complaint.Just watched the video and three cops were parked up waiting for "backup " lol.Then three more turned up so they felt safe enough to walk in while a barmaid held the door for them.The pub was closed and the criminal in question was a little old woman in her 60s who was questioned there and then.

The police wonder why the public are losing/have lost confidence in them"

And id the same pub was burgled?

How many police would turn up then..?

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Please give a reasoned comment to those, that do not include Tom, who are remotely interested in what you have to say.. "

I posed two questions.

You asked me to answer them.

I did.

Nobody else asked for clarification.

C'mon Tom. Keep up!!

Gbat

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's all over the news

Yes

Daily Mail reading again?"

No.

Essex Live

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"And id the same pub was burgled?

How many police would turn up then..?"

See above.

Gbat

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's all over the news

Yes

Daily Mail reading again?

No.

Essex Live "

First time i have actually laughed at one of your threads! Cheered me up that!

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Please give a reasoned comment to those, that do not include Tom, who are remotely interested in what you have to say..

I posed two questions.

You asked me to answer them.

I did.

Nobody else asked for clarification.

C'mon Tom. Keep up!!

Gbat "

GBAT aka Great Bore At Times..

Bore somebody else...

Not remotely interested in your boring comments

Reply privately

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

my recent experience with the police is they will act on anything that's an easy win for them that needs little or no

investigation.

which is why crimes like burglary have a low success rate in prosecution. they would rather send an email than attend to gather evidence.

recent events in the news should remind everyone you cannot trust the police to even police themselves.

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"GBAT aka Great Bore At Times..

Bore somebody else...

Not remotely interested in your boring comments "

Perhaps I'm not posting to entertain you?

C'mon Tom. It's a public forum (as much as a members forum can be public). It's not up to you who can join in.

Gbat

Reply privately

By *JJ_6969Man
over a year ago

Aspull

It's all over the news"

Well if it had been burgled, at best only two officers would turn up to get a statement and what not, seeming as the crime had already taken place.

"it's all over the news" define 'all over'

While it may seem a bit excessive I don't care that much about this, as Golliwogs are just cringey racist caricatures that some people fiercely defend, due to nostalgia.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

There is more to this story than meets the eye .. mark Toms words

Reply privately

By *JJ_6969Man
over a year ago

Aspull

"There is more to this story than meets the eye .. mark Toms words"

How?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's all over the news

Well if it had been burgled, at best only two officers would turn up to get a statement and what not, seeming as the crime had already taken place.

While it may seem a bit excessive I don't care that much about this, as Golliwogs are just cringey racist caricatures that some people fiercely defend, due to nostalgia. "

Are they illegal to own ?

Reply privately

By *JJ_6969Man
over a year ago

Aspull

It's all over the news

While it may seem a bit excessive I don't care that much about this, as Golliwogs are just cringey racist caricatures that some people fiercely defend, due to nostalgia.

Are they illegal to own ?"

Not specifically, no, but hate crime is illegal. Them displaying them could constitute a hate crime, depending on further investigation.

If it turns out they had been asked to not display them before, due to causing offence, then that may well constitute as one.

So in your own words "there may be more to the story" and whilst I may may not agree with a lot of our laws when it comes to "offending people", if it does turn out they did break the law, then so be it.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

As Tom says. More will come out on the wash. There is more to this than meets the eye

Reply privately

By *JJ_6969Man
over a year ago

Aspull

"As Tom says. More will come out on the wash. There is more to this than meets the eye "

Well atm, it just seems like an older, racist couple had a bunch of racist stuff taken away, but ok

Reply privately

By *ecretRdvzMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

On the original point, I agree police resources are almost always poorly prioritised, but as someone else already said, they’re more interested in easy targets than solving crime.

On all the other points, well it’s a minefield, isn’t it? I do believe that most people displaying these things in this day and age are doing so because they want to stick two fingers up to authority. I would love to be in a place where everyone could just ignore what they don’t like, but in reality, live and let live isn’t as simple as it seems.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Policing needs some common sense put back into it.

Reply privately

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I find this thread offensive to be honest, it's a clear attempt by the Op to fish for distasteful comments.

It's 2023......not 1963

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I find this thread offensive to be honest, it's a clear attempt by the Op to fish for distasteful comments.

It's 2023......not 1963"

Jane. You might find this thread offensive but bein offended doesn't actually give you any rights.

This is debate on a true news story from this week. Best avoided maybe...

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I find this thread offensive to be honest, it's a clear attempt by the Op to fish for distasteful comments.

It's 2023......not 1963

Jane. You might find this thread offensive but bein offended doesn't actually give you any rights.

You seem to be stuck in the past, it's rather sad.

"

It's a story from this week Jane..

Reply privately

By *oudBeSurprisedMan
over a year ago

Fife

By whom? Just wondering who is being offended on my behalf.

No idea who originally decided they were offensive but a quick google search brought up this….

“By the 1960s, both the use of the term 'golliwog' and the dolls themselves were under increasing attack. Seen at best as racially insensitive and at worst as racist and vicious, golliwogs were gradually removed from public life.

In 1983, the Greater London Council banned Robertson's products from its jurisdiction, and in 1988 the character was no longer use in TV advertising.”

So they’ve been deemed offensive for long enough for everyone in this thread to know about it. "

Offensive does not equatebto illegal.

If anyone is offended by something they are not forced to experience or endure, then they have the choice to avoid it. Regardless of what it is.

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's all over the news"

Knife crime, assault, murder, drugs on the streets and theft up year on year and there raiding over gollywogs, they may be offensive but surely there are better uses of police resources.

Reply privately

By *oudBeSurprisedMan
over a year ago

Fife

"According to the report the police received a complaint which was anonymous,how fortunate not to have any proof of said complaint.Just watched the video and three cops were parked up waiting for "backup " lol.Then three more turned up so they felt safe enough to walk in while a barmaid held the door for them.The pub was closed and the criminal in question was a little old woman in her 60s who was questioned there and then.

The police wonder why the public are losing/have lost confidence in them

And id the same pub was burgled?

How many police would turn up then..?"

"......is not your secretary and never will benyour researcher"

I think that's how you answered the last question like that.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

It's all over the news

While it may seem a bit excessive I don't care that much about this, as Golliwogs are just cringey racist caricatures that some people fiercely defend, due to nostalgia. "

like a sauce on your dinner....... All over

Reply privately

By *oudBeSurprisedMan
over a year ago

Fife

It's 2023......not 1963

You seem to be stuck in the past, it's rather sad.

It's a story from this week Jane..

You delight in offending people my friend"

As much as I agree with him on avoiding something that offends you, I also agree that he takes delight in offending people. His deliberate way of antagonising others here just as much as referring to himself in third person.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I am shocked that this thread has been allowed to carry on.

People intentionally using the full Name of said dolls is utterly disgusting.

I don't think I've used that word since the mid 70's when I realised how racist it is.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

1. Six months later. A probationer.

Reply privately

By *onnyadtMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

It's 2023......not 1963"

Most of us see it for what it is, you're not alone. Very transparent.

Reply privately

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

It's all over the news

Not specifically, no, but hate crime is illegal. Them displaying them could constitute a hate crime, depending on further investigation.

If it turns out they had been asked to not display them before, due to causing offence, then that may well constitute as one.

So in your own words "there may be more to the story" and whilst I may may not agree with a lot of our laws when it comes to "offending people", if it does turn out they did break the law, then so be it. "

So would that also mean if I supported Westham and went in a pub and there was Chelsea shirt on the wall and I find it offensive would that be a hare crime.

Reply privately

By *oofy321Man
over a year ago

moon base zero

"Nothing wrong with golliewogs, but we all know that some would find them offensive, so probably best not to display them in your place of business?"

And that word is why they should be removed, the name is offensive that was used by the national front..

Reply privately

over a year ago

It's all over the news

So in your own words "there may be more to the story" and whilst I may may not agree with a lot of our laws when it comes to "offending people", if it does turn out they did break the law, then so be it.

So would that also mean if I supported Westham and went in a pub and there was Chelsea shirt on the wall and I find it offensive would that be a hare crime. "

Yes because that is exactly the same

Reply privately

By *irty_DeedsMan
over a year ago

Teesside

Bess x

I think the fact that nobody in this thread has called them by their full name tells you that they all know they are offensive. Just because one black person doesn’t find them offensive doesn’t mean that all black people don’t."

Surely by the process of one black person not being offended, it rules out the statement straight away of "all" black people?

Reply privately

By *batMan
over a year ago

"So would that also mean if I supported Westham and went in a pub and there was Chelsea shirt on the wall and I find it offensive would that be a hare crime. "

No, of course not. But it would be really stupid of you to wear your West Ham shirt in the pub closest to the Chelsea ground, where all their hard core fans go, half an hour before the match. I would expect a police officer on duty outside the pub to send you away so as to prevent a breach of the peace, using force if necessary. It's all about context, isn't it?

And while we are at it, I don't think it's a very valid comparison. Football shirts versus years of pernicious racism? Displaying the gollies is at best thoughtless, more usually a direct "fuck you, I don't care about racism, no one is telling me how to behave."

Gbat

Reply privately