Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Library

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

When was the last time you went to a library and took a book out? Or what else did you use it for.?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

I used one a few months ago, I primarily went in to use the computers and get out of my flat to try and focus and I did end up taking out a couple of books.

I don't go regularly though but would love to get back in the habit of reading!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

About 12 years ago and went to use the printer as ours packed in.

By *lways BeardedMan
over a year ago

Wetherby

Took 3 books out from the library in Saturday.

Use the appp for it now let them know what books you want and as soon as they are available (if already lent out) they deliver them to tour local library and let you know theyre ready to collect.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

About 2 months ago. I struggle to find books I want to read though. I love science fiction and fantasy which invariably are written as trilogies or long series, and frequently the library only has one or two books of the series. It gets frustrating

By *ilsaGeorgeCouple
over a year ago

kent

Not for years. But George is major bookworm and he built his own one in the garden and I work from it most days.

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

"Not for years. But George is major bookworm and he built his own one in the garden and I work from it most days. "

That is so cool!!

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

The kids use it every couple of weeks, they're voracious readers and we can't afford that many books. I prefer to read on my kindle or a paperback with one hand so I don't really like the big hardback books they have in the library. I'll still take books out though just to support it. Libraries are amazing!

J

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Used to go every week with my son when he was a kid but its many years since I've used a library now

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

Most Saturdays, if and when I am in town.

They have a musician there for an hour or two, it's a great place to have a coffee, find a weird book and take that book home, this is not an analogy for hitting on people though.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

Last time I was there a chicken jumped up on the counter and said "book book" so the librarian put a book under its wing. Anyway I followed it out and down the road when a frog was coming the other way, the chicken clucked "book book", the frog looked with disdain and said "redit redit"

By *asterR and slut mayaMan
over a year ago

Bradford

"When was the last time you went to a library and took a book out? Or what else did you use it for.? "

Last month took out six

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

When I was a teenager. It was probably IT related.

By *aizyWoman
over a year ago

west midlands

Three weeks ago took 5 books out.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I haven't been into the library since lockdown. I have used their on line service though.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I prefer to buy books.

I don't know what filthy fingers have been thumbing through the pages I'm touching.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

We went today. Sat and read our daughter some books

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

I go to the Duke Humfries on occasion. That, the Codrington, the Radcliffe Camera, and Trinity College, Dublin, are some of my favourite places in the world.

over a year ago

Not for over 40 years. I used it all the time as a kid/student..

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

"Most Saturdays, if and when I am in town.

They have a musician there for an hour or two, it's a great place to have a coffee, find a weird book and take that book home, this is not an analogy for hitting on people though.

"

I like this, sounds great. My local library is so rarely open now let alone have musicians or the like there!

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"I go to the Duke Humfries on occasion. That, the Codrington, the Radcliffe Camera, and Trinity College, Dublin, are some of my favourite places in the world."

Hi Ele! Not seen you around as much. I'd love to visit the Bodleian! The John Rylands library in Manchester is well worth a visit too.

J

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

"I go to the Duke Humfries on occasion. That, the Codrington, the Radcliffe Camera, and Trinity College, Dublin, are some of my favourite places in the world.

Hi Ele! Not seen you around as much. I'd love to visit the Bodleian! The John Rylands library in Manchester is well worth a visit too.

J"

Next time you are around Oxford, give me a few days' notice and I'll give you a tour! And my sister studied in Manchester - I'll ask her about John Rylands!

over a year ago

I pop in most weeks.

Use it or lose it I say.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"I go to the Duke Humfries on occasion. That, the Codrington, the Radcliffe Camera, and Trinity College, Dublin, are some of my favourite places in the world.

J

Next time you are around Oxford, give me a few days' notice and I'll give you a tour! And my sister studied in Manchester - I'll ask her about John Rylands!"

You will regret offering because I *really* want to visit that library

Maybe Whit holidays.

J

over a year ago

I use the library app, libby, daily.. Maybe not quite the same?

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

J

Next time you are around Oxford, give me a few days' notice and I'll give you a tour! And my sister studied in Manchester - I'll ask her about John Rylands!

You will regret offering because I *really* want to visit that library

Maybe Whit holidays.

J"

I can think of very few things I'd regret less. The offer is absolutely sincere.

By *im RoyleCouple
over a year ago

chester

"When was the last time you went to a library and took a book out? Or what else did you use it for.? "

Last Saturday. Took four books out.

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

I have to resist the urge every time I’m in town! Pop in most times I’m nearby but then very lucky to have access to glasgow libraries, I mostly go to the one at the GOMA, use computers and printers for certain things, browse and borrow books, chat to librarians and other patrons, love the Mitchell library too when I can get there, there’s a particular Edinburgh library I want to visit too.

My dream holiday destinations may include certain well known libraries too.

By * la carteCouple
over a year ago

Dublin

2 months ago looking for a particular book for my daughter which was pre-booked by 24 others.

Went to buy it instead.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

"I can think of very few things I'd regret less. The offer is absolutely sincere. "

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Posted before really reading thread. Definitely visit the bodleian library if you can. There are fantastic libraries in most big cities

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

Last in the library nearly a year ago. It's where the registrar of births, marriages and death has an office.

over a year ago

North West

J

Next time you are around Oxford, give me a few days' notice and I'll give you a tour! And my sister studied in Manchester - I'll ask her about John Rylands!"

Ah-ha! There are two JR libraries in Manchester. One is the public library on Deansgate, commissioned by John Rylands' wife Enriquetta, but that was in disrepair and only restored back to it's current glory in about 2006/07.

The other JR library is the University of Manchester main library, on the uni campus. That is not such an architectural gem though

By *estarossa.Woman
over a year ago

Flagrante

J

Theres also the Portico in Manchester x

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

J

Ah-ha! There are two JR libraries in Manchester. One is the public library on Deansgate, commissioned by John Rylands' wife Enriquetta, but that was in disrepair and only restored back to it's current glory in about 2006/07.

The other JR library is the University of Manchester main library, on the uni campus. That is not such an architectural gem though "

I didn't know that! I've only been to the pretty one

J

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Probably 40 years ago. Never needed to go since. I can find what I want online.

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I like to go to my local library about once a month to check out the new books and normally end up with something new and interesting.

The British Library is one of my most favourite places on Earth I have to go often. Just to be.

Ps. I’m falling a little bit in love with The Bodleian too

over a year ago

Funny this popped up. I will be going to my local library tomorrow because I need something printed off the computer.

I can't remember the last time.

over a year ago

"Funny this popped up. I will be going to my local library tomorrow because I need something printed off the computer.

I can't remember the last time."

Actually I can ! The last time I went there was to collect bin bags. They hand them out free there.

over a year ago

North West

J

The other JR library is the University of Manchester main library, on the uni campus. That is not such an architectural gem though

I didn't know that! I've only been to the pretty one

J"

Fun fact. The JR on Deansgate was the first public building in Manchester to be lit by electric lighting. It also included a sophisticated air filtration system to ensure no dust from the smoggy environment contaminated the books/papers. Enriquetta went to town building a library in her husband's memory

By *londebiguyMan
over a year ago

Southport

I once did it in a reference library.

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

last week to look at some archives

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

A long time ago when I was in secondary school.

I buy books from charity shops but I rarely read anyway.

By *aidbacklover2021Man
over a year ago

perth

I go every week read at least 4 books and get the odd jigsaw out too

By *ripodius WillyusMan
over a year ago

Here and there

I use library quite a bit in lots of areas libraries closing and internet is fine but to sit and immerse yourself in a good paper or hardback is to more pleasing than just looking at a screen.

Case of use libraries or we will lose another strand of english fabric.

over a year ago

I used the library up town a few months ago, to use the computer and print some stuff off. I don't use it for books really anymore.

over a year ago

"I used the library up town a few months ago, to use the computer and print some stuff off. I don't use it for books really anymore. "

I love the peace and tranquility of the library.

Sadly my local one has closed

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

I love libraries. I think it’s partly because they were such an important part of the fabric of industrial towns in the South Wales valleys. Workers would donate money to build them and there was a fierce drive for knowledge and education (which worried the powerful).

The libraries in this area provide a wonderful service on diminshing budgets e.g. delivering books to the housebound, mobile libraries.

I use mine weekly and often see people coming and being slightly cynical, but leaving surprised and impressed at the books and the many other services they provide e.g. activities for children. They are also great at buying in books they haven’t got - always open to suggestions and happy to try. It’s also busy with people working on laptops etc and has provides a warm space for a few lovely homeless guys.

Libraries are awesome.

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I go to ours reguarly , i love books and its one place you can go without spending anything and just sit in peace if you want to.

Post new Message to Thread