Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Mental Conjuration

Jump to newest

By *oubleswing2019 OP   Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Mrs DS said to me "When you think of an apple, what do you see, in your mind's eye?"

I explained I see a 3D image of a Granny Smith. It's mostly smooth, but a bit misshapen in places. In some areas, its textured more roughly and starting to russet, other areas are shiny. There's a brown hole where an inquisitive blackbird has pecked at it. A small gouge in another where it fell and hit a stick on the floor. A stubby little stalk, with one crisped and browning leaf hanging on for dear life. By this point I can usually taste and/or smell the apple.

I asked her what she conjured and she said "A 2D vector art/line drawing in black and white."

We asked a friend and she said "I cannot imagine an apple at all. I really cannot visualise one in any way shape or form".

Here's the really strange part (if the above wasn't strange enough as it is).

I could not draw one from visualisation. I cannot draw for toffee.

Mrs DS can draw fairly well from memory.

And our friend who cannot visualise at all, could with a sample in front of her draw the most life-life example you'd ever see.

It makes no sense. I've love to know which rabbit hole to descend down to learn more about this human trait.

Can you see an apple ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

No I can't however I see words as colours and feel them as sensations. I could draw an apple that you'd recognise but nobody would frame it and hang it at the Tate

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I see an apple, a red shiny apple with a little stalk with a leaf still attached

Not sure I could draw it from memory, but it would have the features I described and be the right shape

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

If I imagine an apple I see the smell and texture.

I can't draw either.

By *odevilWoman
over a year ago

exeter

"No I can't however I see words as colours and feel them as sensations. I could draw an apple that you'd recognise but nobody would frame it and hang it at the Tate"

I have synaesthesia too!

By *elloWoman
over a year ago

alpha centauri

My apple would be like a cox apple, part reddish part green, not shiney or pretty and would have a bite taken out of it showing a crisp, juicy interior

By *ittle Miss TinkerbellWoman
over a year ago

your head

Yes I can see an apple. I could draw one but it wouldn't be fantastic. My drawing is better if I have something in front of me.

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

That’s really fascinating, I’ve always assumed that everyone can form an image of an apple in their mind because everyone knows what an apple looks like and that it would be a 3-D image as that’s how we see apples when we look at them. I’d have assumed that to conjure up an image of anything other than an apple that looks like how apples look when we have seen them would mean ignoring the memories you have of the many, many apples you’ve seen in the past and creating a completely new image that’s nothing like anything you’ve seen before or even more remarkable would be to not even be able to imagine what an apple looks like despite it being an incredibly simple shape which you’ve seen countless times. And again, I’m amazed that anyone, even someone with minimal artistic skills is unable to draw a circle with a indentation at the top with the stalk sticking out of it, even a plain circle with a stalk sticking out of it would be recognisable as an apple, so to discover some people are incapable of drawing such a simple shape is really shocking news.

Thanks for sharing your remarkable findings with us and I hope you continue your good work and important research further.

By *asterR and slut mayaMan
over a year ago

Bradford

"No I can't however I see words as colours and feel them as sensations. I could draw an apple that you'd recognise but nobody would frame it and hang it at the Tate"

Oh my lady your such a wonder

Tell me this then but if you see words

As colours. is blue blue or yellow

Yellow .or do the words yoni

massage give you a sensation and what colours do you see .

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"No I can't however I see words as colours and feel them as sensations. I could draw an apple that you'd recognise but nobody would frame it and hang it at the Tate

massage give you a sensation and what colours do you see ."

Blue isn't blue and yellow isn't yellow .

Yoni massage is pale grey and makes my arms feel funny.

The sensation and colour has no connection with the meaning of the word or phrase. The word 'money' for instance makes me feel as if my mouth is full of something soft and my nose tingles.

By *asterR and slut mayaMan
over a year ago

Bradford

"No I can't however I see words as colours and feel them as sensations. I could draw an apple that you'd recognise but nobody would frame it and hang it at the Tate

massage give you a sensation and what colours do you see .

Blue isn't blue and yellow isn't

yellow .

Yoni massage is pale grey and

makes my arms feel funny.

The sensation and colour has no

connection with the meaning of the

word or phrase. The word 'money' for instance makes me feel as if my mouth is full of something soft and my nose tingles."

Oh my lady the more I learn about you the more actracted to you I become .a meeting of minds and sensual times God I'd love to give you some amazing sensations a good dream to think of as I go bed .

Thank you my lady .

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I can visualise fairly well but not draw from it to well, though can draw and paint pretty well.

over a year ago

Colchester

Now that is fascinating to me (obviously to you it may or may not be as I assume you grew up with it, and hence it's normal to you ?)

May I ask ?

If a word is a colour, is the same colour seen whether the word is spoken or written ?

If "Bob" said, "Radio", and "Mary" said "Radio" is the colour seen the same ? Or roughly the same colour with some variations due to Bob's intonation and Mary's intonation ?

How does eating common garden (nothing unusual) mushrooms affect you ? Do they provoke a response ?

Are there any colours "missing" which no word will conjure ?

Sorry to ask so many questions !

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have synaesthesia too! "

How long before you realised not everyone was? .

over a year ago

Colchester

I have synaesthesia too! "

Hello Vodevil, do you mind me asking how your synaesthesia affect you and in what way ?

over a year ago

Colchester

"I see an apple, a red shiny apple with a little stalk with a leaf still attached

Not sure I could draw it from memory, but it would have the features I described and be the right shape"

Highly visual, like myself. I must admit, I thought everyone was like this and it's quite amazing to hear they are most definitely not.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Now that is fascinating to me (obviously to you it may or may not be as I assume you grew up with it, and hence it's normal to you ?)

May I ask ?

If a word is a colour, is the same colour seen whether the word is spoken or written ?

If "Bob" said, "Radio", and "Mary" said "Radio" is the colour seen the same ? Or roughly the same colour with some variations due to Bob's intonation and Mary's intonation ?

How does eating common garden (nothing unusual) mushrooms affect you ? Do they provoke a response ?

"

It isn't anymore fascinating to me than breathing lol it just 'is'.

It's difficult to articulate because I don't think about it or analyse it anymore than anyone analyses the way they perceive sounds of words. There's no difference to me in written or spoken words because it's how the word translates itself in my brain I suppose. How can I explain how I perceive a word? I don't have the language.

Words don't vary according to the person but voices have a colour, I've heard people describe a dark brown voice.

Eating mushrooms has no effect on me.

There are no missing colours as far as I'm aware but words don't 'conjure' colours. It just 'is' there's no process to it if I perceive 'monday' whether written, spoken or thought it's a red square and always has been

over a year ago

Colchester

"My apple would be like a cox apple, part reddish part green, not shiney or pretty and would have a bite taken out of it showing a crisp, juicy interior "

I like your visualisation, it's verging on hyper-visual. Curiously the bite taken out of it showing a crisp, juicy interior verges on eroticism, but I've leave a deeper analysis of that out.

By *odevilWoman
over a year ago

exeter

I have synaesthesia too!

Hello Vodevil, do you mind me asking how your synaesthesia affect you and in what way ?"

Honestly, I am SO excited to chat with another synaesthete!

I was in my mid twenties before I realised not everyone had it, even older before I looked into it being an actual thing!

How about you?

Like you; colours for words, letters, numbers

Also people, musical instrument sounds and notes. I feel sensation in various parts of my body but only for certain things.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

Vodevil = Vaudeville... ^

Brilliant.

By *odevilWoman
over a year ago

exeter

May I ask ?

It's difficult to articulate because I don't think about it or analyse it anymore than anyone analyses the way they perceive sounds of words. There's no difference to me in written or spoken words because it's how the word translates itself in my brain I suppose. How can I explain how I perceive a word? I don't have the language.

Words don't vary according to the person but voices have a colour, I've heard people describe a dark brown voice.

There are no missing colours as far as I'm aware but words don't 'conjure' colours. It just 'is' there's no process to it if I perceive 'monday' whether written, spoken or thought it's a red square and always has been

"

I love this. So many people have asked me "but why?"

It just is.

By *odevilWoman
over a year ago

exeter

"Mrs DS said to me "When you think of an apple, what do you see, in your mind's eye?"

I explained I see a 3D image of a Granny Smith. It's mostly smooth, but a bit misshapen in places. In some areas, its textured more roughly and starting to russet, other areas are shiny. There's a brown hole where an inquisitive blackbird has pecked at it. A small gouge in another where it fell and hit a stick on the floor. A stubby little stalk, with one crisped and browning leaf hanging on for dear life. By this point I can usually taste and/or smell the apple.

I asked her what she conjured and she said "A 2D vector art/line drawing in black and white."

We asked a friend and she said "I cannot imagine an apple at all. I really cannot visualise one in any way shape or form".

And our friend who cannot visualise at all, could with a sample in front of her draw the most life-life example you'd ever see.

It makes no sense. I've love to know which rabbit hole to descend down to learn more about this human trait.

Can you see an apple ? "

I can visualise an apple. I struggle visualise something I've not seen. Example; I can't imagine what a room might look like if the furniture within it was arranged differently.

My drawing skills peaked at approx age 5

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I have synaesthesia too!

Hello Vodevil, do you mind me asking how your synaesthesia affect you and in what way ?

Honestly, I am SO excited to chat with another synaesthete!

I was in my mid twenties before I realised not everyone had it, even older before I looked into it being an actual thing!

How about you?

Like you; colours for words, letters, numbers

Also people, musical instrument sounds and notes. I feel sensation in various parts of my body but only for certain things. "

Not sure if you're meaning me or not

I can't really remember how old I was but I do recall mentioning it to a friend at primary school who looked at me like I was something out of The Chrysalids

Numbers, some music and some people.

I think everyone is synaesthetic to an extent otherwise why describe cowards as yellow or moods as blue or black?

over a year ago

Colchester

May I ask ?

"

Thank you for sharing, it is much appreciated. I find it terribly interesting in how the neurons and pathways in our brains work. Words and sounds fascinate me. Their ability to convey data and emotion. The placement and arrangement of the words and the sounds to carry express meanings, subtle meanings, hidden meanings, and so on and so forth. I do know another person who also sees colours from words, and to her it was normal and as she said to me once, half jesting, "It's you who are strange to me." (we were good friends and could talk frankly, but she did make a very good point).

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

It's an interesting post. And one that I cannot even begin to give a coherent and meaningful response.

I find it relatively easy to draw still life from memory, simplistic and linear objects, which are man made and easily brought to the fore from my imagination.

However, for the life of me I cannot even remotely picture from the depths of my cerebral images of my family, parents, siblings etc. Therefore I couldn't even draw an outline of their faces or anything rudimentary.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Mrs DS said to me "When you think of an apple, what do you see, in your mind's eye?"

Can you see an apple ?

I can visualise an apple. I struggle visualise something I've not seen. Example; I can't imagine what a room might look like if the furniture within it was arranged differently.

My drawing skills peaked at approx age 5

"

same! Mr N is always explaining his latest project to me and unless he actually draws it I have no idea what it's going to look like. The words are literally meaningless to me.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

May I ask ?

Thank you for sharing, it is much appreciated. I find it terribly interesting in how the neurons and pathways in our brains work. Words and sounds fascinate me. Their ability to convey data and emotion. The placement and arrangement of the words and the sounds to carry express meanings, subtle meanings, hidden meanings, and so on and so forth. I do know another person who also sees colours from words, and to her it was normal and as she said to me once, half jesting, "It's you who are strange to me." (we were good friends and could talk frankly, but she did make a very good point)."

I think we humans are all wired up slightly differently.

over a year ago

Colchester

"I think everyone is synaesthetic to an extent otherwise why describe cowards as yellow or moods as blue or black?"

That's an acute observation I feel.

Many words in the English language are mixed emotively to describe how we feel, and those phrases have been around for aeons.

"I'm having a blue day"

"He was red with rage"

"You yellow-bellied coward"

"She was green with envy"

"He's a black-hearted Son of a B"

It does make you wonder, how those colours explicitly became associated with those emotions, and why those colours and not others ?

I mean, "having a blue day". It means being a bit down, depressed. Why blue ? blue is a nice colour imho. I find nothing depressing about blue personally. Even if the phrase was "having a grey day" which means dull, boring, lifeless. I love grey, it's one of my favourite colours. I don't see grey in any way negative or dull. It's just another colour and an attractive one to me.

By *adeiteWoman
over a year ago

Poole, but up in lincs for a bit

I saw everything you described. I'm also learning to draw and I do pretty nicely just drawing what I see, nothing realistic but looking at my drawing Vs the image you'd know they were the same

over a year ago

Colchester

"It's an interesting post. And one that I cannot even begin to give a coherent and meaningful response.

I find it relatively easy to draw still life from memory, simplistic and linear objects, which are man made and easily brought to the fore from my imagination.

However, for the life of me I cannot even remotely picture from the depths of my cerebral images of my family, parents, siblings etc. Therefore I couldn't even draw an outline of their faces or anything rudimentary."

I'll take a gamble and posit that you work in a technically demanding role ? Some form of engineering disciple ? Where precision and certainty are paramount ?

This, in my mind might explain your keenly developed sense in this arena, and it's common for other less critical senses to shrink to allow the dominant sense to expand and grow.

Alternatively, I could be sprouting complete bollocks

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Op if you’re genuinely interested in the theories behind all this look at semiotics, language & cognitive development and aphantasia.

Very interesting

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I think everyone is synaesthetic to an extent otherwise why describe cowards as yellow or moods as blue or black?

That's an acute observation I feel.

Many words in the English language are mixed emotively to describe how we feel, and those phrases have been around for aeons.

"I'm having a blue day"

"He was red with rage"

"You yellow-bellied coward"

"She was green with envy"

"He's a black-hearted Son of a B"

It does make you wonder, how those colours explicitly became associated with those emotions, and why those colours and not others ?

I mean, "having a blue day". It means being a bit down, depressed. Why blue ? blue is a nice colour imho. I find nothing depressing about blue personally. Even if the phrase was "having a grey day" which means dull, boring, lifeless. I love grey, it's one of my favourite colours. I don't see grey in any way negative or dull. It's just another colour and an attractive one to me.

"

It's interesting isn't it.

I wonder if before we had language our perception of emotions etc was different?

over a year ago

Colchester

"I saw everything you described. I'm also learning to draw and I do pretty nicely just drawing what I see, nothing realistic but looking at my drawing Vs the image you'd know they were the same"

A keenly developed eye for detail and highly astute comparison skills. I wonder if you are one of those folks who can look at 2 photos and easily find the 10 differences on one of the photos in seconds ?

over a year ago

Colchester

"

It's interesting isn't it.

I wonder if before we had language our perception of emotions etc was different?"

Oh my word. That's like a "mike drop" moment. A real corker of a question and one I am going to ponder on as I head up the wooden hill to bed.

Thank you everyone for contributing and sharing, this has been a superb thread ! Good night all, x

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"It's an interesting post. And one that I cannot even begin to give a coherent and meaningful response.

However, for the life of me I cannot even remotely picture from the depths of my cerebral images of my family, parents, siblings etc. Therefore I couldn't even draw an outline of their faces or anything rudimentary.

I'll take a gamble and posit that you work in a technically demanding role ? Some form of engineering disciple ? Where precision and certainty are paramount ?

This, in my mind might explain your keenly developed sense in this arena, and it's common for other less critical senses to shrink to allow the dominant sense to expand and grow.

Alternatively, I could be sprouting complete bollocks "

You are correct: I do indeed "work in a technically demanding role".

Post new Message to Thread