Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Books you thought were awful

Jump to newest

By *entleman_of_pleasure OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester

I recognise that this sort of thing is always highly subjective, but what book did you read that you really disliked, and why?

The Power by Naomi Alderman. I really, really wanted to like this book and on paper (no pun intended) it should have been right up my street, and I loved the premiss...but...it was SO badly written.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Shakespeare is death.

I'd rather eat my own eyeballs than ever read Tolkien again.

Stephen King writes fabulous stories in a terrible manner. I do enjoy adaptations of his work though.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Every book I've ever read, can never finish it, I get too bored because I read the words not the story. This is definitely a thread for F

over a year ago

That 50 shades of shit saga.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Moby Dick was the biggest pile of blubber.

Read the first 2 chapters of that one that was written by the 12 year old boy...50 Shades of something or other.

Used to be a fan of Stephen King but haven't read anything he has written since he turned the last couple of books of the Dark Tower into a vanity project and personal revenge on his critics pile of poo.

over a year ago

"I recognise that this sort of thing is always highly subjective, but what book did you read that you really disliked, and why?

The Power by Naomi Alderman. I really, really wanted to like this book and on paper (no pun intended) it should have been right up my street, and I loved the premiss...but...it was SO badly written.

"

I disagree *so* strongly - the prose in that novel is amazing. Fabulous novel - but I dislike loads of novels that are supposed to be brilliant so you do you!

over a year ago

"I recognise that this sort of thing is always highly subjective, but what book did you read that you really disliked, and why?

"

Oh I really liked that one!

Hated the magpie murders

By *uriousscouserWoman
over a year ago

Wirral

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It was book of the month in my reading group years ago and it's the only one where I couldn't join in the discussion because I couldn't force myself to finish it.

I read about half and just couldn't get any further, even though it really bothers me that I haven't finished it.

over a year ago

Heart of Darkness - Conrad. Hated it.

over a year ago

The Bible

By *uicy 2020Woman
over a year ago

London

I wouldnt say there are any books Ive hated, but definitely been disapointed by books based on what Id heard about them. A few classics I struggled with are Anna Karenina, Moby Dick, and Crime and Punishment. I also just didnt get what all the hype about The Bell Jar is. X

By *istyPeaksCouple
over a year ago

braintree

The tiger who came to tea…

That is not how taps & water work

By *istyPeaksCouple
over a year ago

braintree

[Removed by poster at 02/04/23 18:32:31]

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The Bible"

Beat me to it.

A

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man
over a year ago

Stourbridge

DH Lawrence. Absolute garbage.

By *istyPeaksCouple
over a year ago

braintree

"I wouldnt say there are any books Ive hated, but definitely been disapointed by books based on what Id heard about them. A few classics I struggled with are Anna Karenina, Moby Dick, and Crime and Punishment. I also just didnt get what all the hype about The Bell Jar is. X "

Anna Karenina destroyed me. Destroyed me & reinvented me. I get a rage whenever I think of it. I’m still unsure if I hated it or loved it, but I was definitely affected by it. Not an easy read in a million different ways.

The bell jar is absolute tripe though!!

By *ycanNightsMan
over a year ago

Workington

"Heart of Darkness - Conrad. Hated it."

I agree...but basically apocalypse now is the same story...and I enjoyed that.

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

Graham Hancock: Supernatural.

He has some great ideas and the doc he did on Netflix was great but, this book could have easily been edited into about a quater of the size. Some great debate within the book but a lot of needless details, especialy at the start.

By *dventurousSexplorersCouple
over a year ago

Fantasy Land

To kill a mockingbird - Harper Lee.

It’s the only book I’ve ever left unfinished. I started to read it because I’d heard it is a literary classic and I’m a sucker for a good story. But I’m not exaggerating when I say, it bored me to sleep multiple times so I eff’d it off

over a year ago

"The Bible"

The Koran

By *lint-EverhardMan
over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

"That 50 shades of shit saga. "

I'll second that.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

Catch22 and Catcher in the Rye.

Both supposed literary classics. Neither are for me.

B

over a year ago

Same here, I found them quite boring...

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

[Removed by poster at 02/04/23 19:38:28]

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"To kill a mockingbird - Harper Lee.

It’s the only book I’ve ever left unfinished. I started to read it because I’d heard it is a literary classic and I’m a sucker for a good story. But I’m not exaggerating when I say, it bored me to sleep multiple times so I eff’d it off "

Most people had to read that because it was a GCSE set text.

When I see it listed as anyone's favourite book in these threads, I often wonder if it is the only novel they have read.

We used to hire the 16mm film so that the pupils who weren't natural readers knew the story when it came to the exam.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

The Bible.

There seems to be a spare copy in every hotel room.

People try leaving them everywhere.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Might have been my tiny brain but the whole thing was just a mind fuck to read

over a year ago

Harry Potter. Fight me

By *dam_TinaCouple
over a year ago

Hampshire

"Catch22 and Catcher in the Rye.

B"

The exact two I was going to say. I wanted so much to love these books but I couldn't finish either of them

over a year ago

Struggled through about a third of "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Wasnt feeling it.

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

"The Bible

The Koran "

Have you read it? I've read the Bible back to back and parts of the Koran. What was awful about the Koran specifically?

For me Life of Pi and The Alchemist. It's beyond me why these are so popular.

By *otBunsHunWoman
over a year ago

Yorkshire

The Lonely by Michael Andrew Hurley.

Pointless.

By *layisbetterwithLaughterMan
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Anything by Thomas Hardy. I've yet to find anything by him that doesn't make me rankle at wasting my time reading it.

I think that period of writing, where the stories are essentially about the painful mundane (Zola is in that group too) is just not for me.

By *estarossa.Woman
over a year ago

Flagrante

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, tried really hard to like it but gave up in the end!

over a year ago

Catcher in the rye. Really didn't like Holden caulfield.

Jane Eyre. Didn't even finish it despite it being my GCSE reading.

I needed a summer hol to nail catch 22. It wasn't one I could dip in and out of.

Did anyone who was involved in anything close to kink enjoy shades of grey?

over a year ago

Fantasy Land

"

It’s the only book I’ve ever left unfinished. I started to read it because I’d heard it is a literary classic and I’m a sucker for a good story. But I’m not exaggerating when I say, it bored me to sleep multiple times so I eff’d it off "

When I see it listed as anyone's favourite book in these threads, I often wonder if it is the only novel they have read.

We used to hire the 16mm film so that the pupils who weren't natural readers knew the story when it came to the exam."

Oh damn, I’m glad we never had to study that in school I’d of never passed English haha!

We had to read Great Expectations and Of Mice and Men for ours, and I actually really enjoyed the latter

over a year ago

I thought the Song of Ice & Fire novels were crap. They needed huge amounts of editing, with most of the Bran chapters just begging to be left on the cutting room floor.

"Who has a better story than Bran?"

Everyone, Tyrion, you fucking dick.

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

"

We used to hire the 16mm film so that the pupils who weren't natural readers knew the story when it came to the exam.

Oh damn, I’m glad we never had to study that in school I’d of never passed English haha!

We had to read Great Expectations and Of Mice and Men for ours, and I actually really enjoyed the latter "

This.... I know plenty of people that don't read but one book they did enjoy from their school days was Of Mice and Men. Makes me sad we're no longer allowed to teach it

over a year ago

Midnight's Children - crushingly dull and over-written.

over a year ago

The Wolf Of Wall Street.

I pretty much hated Jordan Belfort the whole way through the book and not just cause he seems unrepentant about what he did. He just came across as an arrogant prick.

One of the few times I'll say I enjoyed the movie more than the book

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

The Earth hums in B Flat. I was still waiting for something to happen on the penultimate page.

over a year ago

"The Bible

The Koran

Have you read it? I've read the Bible back to back and parts of the Koran. What was awful about the Koran specifically?

For me Life of Pi and The Alchemist. It's beyond me why these are so popular. "

I just struggled to like a book that promotes a paedophile and promotes hatred blindly

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Catch 22..bored me senseless. I felt like I was a psychoanalyst and Yossarian was sitting on the couch droning on and on about his trials and tribulations. Endlessly. Non-stop. By the start of Chapter 2, I shot him.

Catcher In The Rye. Heard it was a literary classic. Did not resonate with me at all.

over a year ago

"The Bible"

Dam you!

I was going to say the same.

By *cottish guy 555Man
over a year ago

London

Some of Stephen King's stuff is good, but they all seem to suffer from shite endings

By *tooveMan
over a year ago

belfast

The fifty shades of grey books. Biggest pile of shite ever published.

By *inkylipsWoman
over a year ago

Debauchery

Anything by Shakespeare is just dull

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

"

We used to hire the 16mm film so that the pupils who weren't natural readers knew the story when it came to the exam."

Had to read that for my GCSE coursework. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Tess Of The D'urbervilles, which was the other we had to do.

XX

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"The tiger who came to tea…

That is not how taps & water work "

Or tigers!

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

It's full of spelling mistakes. They really should have sacked the proof reader.

A

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

Worse than that... they just fucking make words up!

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

Finnegan's Wake by Joyce. Apparently took him 17 years to write. It takes just about that to read it too!

Twaddle

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

The Midnight Library

The Time Travellers Wife

The Thursday Murder Club.

I have to disagree with those who say the Bible. Some of the psalms are beautiful

over a year ago

Fantasy Land

"Anything by Shakespeare is just dull"

Agreed, not a fan of anything Shakespeare tbh… although if it wasn’t for him, we probably wouldn’t be speaking the version of modern English we speak today hahaha, every cloud!

By *dnmartinMan
over a year ago

Hounslow

1974 by Dave Pearce.

The murderer is set at the top of my Mum's street, the girl who is killed would have been in my year at school. I should have loved that book.

I could hardly finish it, very stylised writing, very jumpy style.

I hated it

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I think people who diss the Bible and the Koran fail to appreciate the comfort that they both bring to believers in each of the faiths, religion isn't for me but if it helps others to get through what can be a very hard life then good for them.

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"I think people who diss the Bible and the Koran fail to appreciate the comfort that they both bring to believers in each of the faiths, religion isn't for me but if it helps others to get through what can be a very hard life then good for them."

If we dismiss all the genocide, defenses of child abuse and so on.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I think people who diss the Bible and the Koran fail to appreciate the comfort that they both bring to believers in each of the faiths, religion isn't for me but if it helps others to get through what can be a very hard life then good for them.

If we dismiss all the genocide, defenses of child abuse and so on. "

Genocide and child abuse isn't confined to religion, both are carried out on a daily basis by non believers in religion.

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"I think people who diss the Bible and the Koran fail to appreciate the comfort that they both bring to believers in each of the faiths, religion isn't for me but if it helps others to get through what can be a very hard life then good for them.

Genocide and child abuse isn't confined to religion, both are carried out on a daily basis by non believers in religion."

Nothing I said denies that. Yet the holy books you mention explicitly defend such things. Should we still celebrate them because they bring comfort to some?

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Genocide and child abuse isn't confined to religion,

both are carried out on a daily basis by non believers in religion.

Nothing I said denies that. Yet the holy books you mention explicitly defend such things. Should we still celebrate them because they bring comfort to some?"

They are both religious writings of nearly two thousand years ago, I don't think that many believers follow either book word for word,

They are both open to interpretation, and I should think that most realise that.

If it brings comfort then so be it.

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"They are both religious writings of nearly two thousand years ago, I don't think that many believers follow either book word for word."

Literally MILLIONS of people follow them word for word.

The fact people find comfort in them doesn't mean we should not openly and consistently denounce such writings.

By *avinaTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson.

"Comparable to Tolkien at his best", the blurb read. I absolutely adore Tolkien. This book was, in fact, comparable; it just compared extremely unfavourably. Poorly realised characters, especially the main one, who worked neither as a hero or an anti-hero. Overwritten, yet curiously lacking in meaningful and engaging description. A narrative that was boring and didn't hold your attention or capture your imagination. I loathed it, and have never read any Donaldson since.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"They are both religious writings of nearly two thousand years ago, I don't think that many believers follow either book word for word.

Literally MILLIONS of people follow them word for word.

The fact people find comfort in them doesn't mean we should not openly and consistently denounce such writings. "

People find comfort in the swinging lifestyle.....should it not also be openly and consistently denounced in the same way then?

Each to their own

over a year ago

Amen to that. Utter dross

By *avinaTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.

Populated by obscene characters, to no real end, this book also suffered from a crushingly tedious plot that unfolded at a snail's pace. Conrad is considered one of the English language's great modern novelists, and indeed Heart of Darkness is exceptional. But this was unpleasant drudge. I did not like it.

See also, Conrad's novel Victory. I hold similar negative views of this work.

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"The fact people find comfort in them doesn't mean we should not openly and consistently denounce such writings.

People find comfort in the swinging lifestyle.....should it not also be openly and consistently denounced in the same way then?"

I never denounced Christianity (which is the only analogy that makes sense of your reference to a swinging lifestyle). However, if we were discussing some of the classic swinger texts (e.g. 'How to be a Swinger,' 'Insatiable Wives' or 'Ethical Sluts') and they justified genocide and child abuse then yes, I'd say we should denounce such texts.

This thread was about books and I was specifically replying to your comment about someone's comment on a book. Let's keep the discussion on such books, rather than any associated lifestyles.

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"People find comfort in the swinging lifestyle.....should it not also be openly and consistently denounced in the same way then?

Each to their own"

Have you actually read the Bible?

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

This thread is right up my street!

The power has just been turned into a tv series just released on prime. It’s on my list I’ve not tried the book yet, but yes the premise appeals.

Shakespeare I firmly believe should not be read, they’re plays! Go see them performed or see a film adaptation. Not all will appeal to you but he wrote so many one is bound to.

Never read tolkien which a certain ex lecturer I know would be shocked & horrified by.

Stephen king I love.

50 shades of shite can fuck right off! Downloaded a sample and even just in terms of writing “quality” is just dire!

Heart of darkness I totally agree with just really really boring!

DH Lawrence I adore.

The bible - not religious but so many of our cultural stories come from this and other religious texts. Raised Christian, keep meaning to read other texts. Yes hugely problematic in terms of certain content but that isn’t a reason to dismiss them out of hand. Very much of their time and I’m not a fan of cancel culture anyway, to learn and move forward from our mistakes we cannot deny them.

Dickens I love.

Catcher in the rye I LOVED but it does tend to be rather marmite.

Thomas Hardy - cannot STAND him as a novelist, love him as a poet.

Jane eyre and Brontë sisters I love.

Of mice and men I LOVED.

That comment made me think of Death of a salesman as read/studied them both at the same time. If anyone loved the latter I highly recommend the film Glengarry Glen Ross.

“Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

It's full of spelling mistakes. They really should have sacked the proof reader.”

Lmao! Damn straight!!

Finnegans wake - many consider was a deliberate “fuck you” to literary critics and theorists, hence why it took so long to write and is damn near impossible to read! The Dubliners is much more accessible and a favourite of mine, I will make it through Ulysses one day dammit!

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"This thread is right up my street!

The power has just been turned into a tv series just released on prime. It’s on my list I’ve not tried the book yet, but yes the premise appeals. "

Oh, the teenage girls with the power?

I was presuming it was a redo of the great graphic novels!

Re the rest of your post, I adore Billy Shakes, but I don't get why it's not first translated. I wasted half an A Level essentially interpreting texts from a foreign language.

Weird waste of time!

By *avinaTVTV/TS
over a year ago

Transsexual Transylvania

I absolutely love Shakespeare, I've read most of his plays. I have to agree with the earlier posts that suggest he shouldn't be read - not initially, anyway. To get a decent sense of the dialogue, his plays should be seen; that's when they come alive.

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

The power has just been turned into a tv series just released on prime. It’s on my list I’ve not tried the book yet, but yes the premise appeals.

Oh, the teenage girls with the power?

I was presuming it was a redo of the great graphic novels!

Re the rest of your post, I adore Billy Shakes, but I don't get why it's not first translated. I wasted half an A Level essentially interpreting texts from a foreign language.

Weird waste of time!"

Your teacher would probably say it’s because translations are rarely accurate and you would miss out on the richness of certain passages and phrases shakes wrote.

And yes it’s the teen lightening girls one.

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"And yes it’s the teen lightening girls one. "

Thanks. I look fwd to that now!

By *an1978Woman
over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

Room by Emma Donoghue

(Fritzl type situation, a child born in captivity to a teenage girl)

First half readable, second half ridiculous, as if written in an afternoon with no thought for the characters.

So frustrating as I hate leaving a book unfinished so had to force myself through it.

By *0ng0 furyMan
over a year ago

Birkenhead

2023: a trilogy by the justified ancients of mu mu

truly terrible

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

Had to read that for my GCSE coursework. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Tess Of The D'urbervilles, which was the other we had to do.

XX"

We used to hire the Polanski film of Tess, for the same purpose.

At the time I really fancied Nastassja Kinski (as in that role) but she changed into someone of no further appeal to me.

By *elvet AngelWoman
over a year ago

Newton Abbot

I hated The Great Gatsby.

I couldn't like any of the characters, who to my mind were very one dimensional.

I read the whole book, waiting for something to happen....it didn't Nothing that I cared two hoots about anyway

over a year ago

"They are both religious writings of nearly two thousand years ago, I don't think that many believers follow either book word for word"

The Koran is 1300 years old.

over a year ago

"And yes it’s the teen lightening girls one.

Thanks. I look fwd to that now! "

The book is exceptionally good. I don't have access to Prime so can't watch the series but I've heard good things.

By *orksRockerMan
over a year ago

Bradford

Russell brandy's - My Booky Wook. I liked him before that and changed my opinion reading it.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan
over a year ago

Torquay

"Catch22 and Catcher in the Rye.

B"

Catch 22 in my top 10 best, could hardly suppress the giggles reading it on the train years ago.

Catcher in the rye I completely agree with you there

By *cunnylassCouple
over a year ago

Exeter

Flowers in The Attic.I didn't want to read it but I spent several days in the hold of a ship and had nothing else to do.It was quite a surreal experience!

Mike

over a year ago

I never read it but lots of my friends at school were forced to read Z for Zachary for English coursework and to this day they say it’s the worst book ever

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Flowers in The Attic.I didn't want to read it but I spent several days in the hold of a ship and had nothing else to do.It was quite a surreal experience!

Mike"

I LOVE these books and “My Sweet Audrina” very dark disturbing subject matter (esp when you learn flowers in the attic inspired by a true story) but the original author NOT the posthumous ghost writer finished ones they are a mess!

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I never read it but lots of my friends at school were forced to read Z for Zachary for English coursework and to this day they say it’s the worst book ever "

I had to read it at school and also saw the film, I think books forced on people are often hated. I absolutely loved this, I also loved walkbaout and the silver sword which were also required school reading.

over a year ago

"Flowers in The Attic.I didn't want to read it but I spent several days in the hold of a ship and had nothing else to do.It was quite a surreal experience!

Mike"

Aw I loved that series

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Crime and punishment Dostoyevsky turgid boring bollocks

Moby dick

More turgid boring bollocks just get to the big fish ffs

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Shogun by James Clavell.

Not so much the writing but trying to follow the name's of the characters some of them have like 18 syllables and that's just the first name.

It's extremely confusing.

By *layisbetterwithLaughterMan
over a year ago

Stourbridge

Shakespeare I firmly believe should not be read, they’re plays! Go see them performed or see a film adaptation. Not all will appeal to you but he wrote so many one is bound to.

Never read tolkien which a certain ex lecturer I know would be shocked & horrified by.

Stephen king I love.

50 shades of shite can fuck right off! Downloaded a sample and even just in terms of writing “quality” is just dire!

Heart of darkness I totally agree with just really really boring!

DH Lawrence I adore.

The bible - not religious but so many of our cultural stories come from this and other religious texts. Raised Christian, keep meaning to read other texts. Yes hugely problematic in terms of certain content but that isn’t a reason to dismiss them out of hand. Very much of their time and I’m not a fan of cancel culture anyway, to learn and move forward from our mistakes we cannot deny them.

Dickens I love.

Catcher in the rye I LOVED but it does tend to be rather marmite.

Thomas Hardy - cannot STAND him as a novelist, love him as a poet.

Jane eyre and Brontë sisters I love.

Of mice and men I LOVED.

That comment made me think of Death of a salesman as read/studied them both at the same time. If anyone loved the latter I highly recommend the film Glengarry Glen Ross.

“Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

It's full of spelling mistakes. They really should have sacked the proof reader.”

Lmao! Damn straight!!

Finnegans wake - many consider was a deliberate “fuck you” to literary critics and theorists, hence why it took so long to write and is damn near impossible to read! The Dubliners is much more accessible and a favourite of mine, I will make it through Ulysses one day dammit!

"

As I understand it, and most likely you are aware, but Hardy only wrote his novels to support the poetry. Shows for me.

By *ermite12ukMan
over a year ago

Solihull and Brentwood

Catch 22. Tried reading it about 3 times and just could not get into it.

Post new Message to Thread