Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Just curious

Jump to newest

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

as to why people leave messages unread forever. I understand of course people don't have to reply and all that, but why would you keep a message unread unless you intend to read it soon. Otherwise, surely the thing to do would be to just delete if you don't want to read it or read it and have no intention of replying. Just surprising that's all and no offence meant to anyone as always

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rder66Man
over a year ago

Tatooine

I don't know, I don't look at my unread messages.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You’ll figure it out op. Have patience and you’ll understand peoples behaviour in here.

over a year ago

Maybe they did read it and then marked it as unread

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

It adds to the illusion.

Numbers are important to some.

As are screenshots of throbbing yellow boxes.

By *issmorganWoman
over a year ago

Calderdale innit

I don't know ,i would delete if not interested as mesagaes left yellow in my inbox would drive me mad.

over a year ago

Truthfully?

I just can't be arsed.

over a year ago

Some people don’t do the online housekeeping as regularly as they should, I have 39000 unopened emails on my phone but weirdly enough absolutely zero messages in my fab inbox…. go figure ….. also note your message to said lady might be in amongst 39000 messages she has received so it’s not about ego or housekeeping it’s about how many messages from the first fifty does she read

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"as to why people leave messages unread forever. I understand of course people don't have to reply and all that, but why would you keep a message unread unless you intend to read it soon. Otherwise, surely the thing to do would be to just delete if you don't want to read it or read it and have no intention of replying. Just surprising that's all and no offence meant to anyone as always "

I’ll need to defer to a woman on this point, OP, but I think I’m right in saying that once one reaches a certain (very high) number of messages, they drop off the bottom of the inbox and cannot be seen.

So, they may have had 500 messages a few days in a row causing yours to disappear before being read.

As I say, clearly I have never experienced that!!

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Can't be arsed to delete them tbh x

By *LheadMan
over a year ago

Chester

"as to why people leave messages unread forever. I understand of course people don't have to reply and all that, but why would you keep a message unread unless you intend to read it soon. Otherwise, surely the thing to do would be to just delete if you don't want to read it or read it and have no intention of replying. Just surprising that's all and no offence meant to anyone as always "

Everyone only gets one chance with me, no reply = blocked forever. I'm not wasting time on rude idiots.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"as to why people leave messages unread forever. I understand of course people don't have to reply and all that, but why would you keep a message unread unless you intend to read it soon. Otherwise, surely the thing to do would be to just delete if you don't want to read it or read it and have no intention of replying. Just surprising that's all and no offence meant to anyone as always

Everyone only gets one chance with me, no reply = blocked forever. I'm not wasting time on rude idiots. "

Wow!

over a year ago

Delete without blocking and you’ll get a few butthurt replies.

Deleting and blocking each individual profile and message takes time.

Why waste time on the ones you already know - from an uninteresting message header or from an unattractive thumbnail image (or lack of), that you won’t be interested in? Better to spend time on the ones you’re into. No?

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

...or just delete your message after sending and you've no idea either way.

If you get a reply, great, but you won't be sat there worrying about how long it's been unread?

over a year ago

"...or just delete your message after sending and you've no idea either way.

If you get a reply, great, but you won't be sat there worrying about how long it's been unread?"

It’s threads like this that remind my to go and look.

I’ve got mail unread from a year ago. … easy to understand why she’s not replied. And there’s others.

By *elloWoman
over a year ago

alpha centauri

I try and read through all my messages once or twice a day , I probably reply to a quarter of them, and then if the person's response straight away I might not read the new message for several hours in the meantime I'll get further messages saying why you ignoring me, guess you're not interested, etc etc so messages build up, and if a message is really good and I want to spend time on a decent reply then I will mark them back to unread and come back later.

If I read all the messages as they come in I'd never get a chance to check out all the hot photos being uploaded to this site

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

I try to go through messages but I sometimes just like to chill out in the forums rather than going through each message. I try to read all but then reply a polite no thank you if I'm not interested but then you often get another message of abuse or messages asking if I've changed my mind??

Sometimes the simplest way is to just delete unread

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Delete without blocking and you’ll get a few butthurt replies.

Deleting and blocking each individual profile and message takes time.

Why waste time on the ones you already know - from an uninteresting message header or from an unattractive thumbnail image (or lack of), that you won’t be interested in? Better to spend time on the ones you’re into. No?"

Actually, this makes sense for those who receive lots of messages. Thanks

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

If you get a reply, great, but you won't be sat there worrying about how long it's been unread?"

This. It’s exactly what I do and it completely removes the catalyst for insecurities.

Delete all sent mail - fab tells you if you’ve messaged someone before and not had a reply (and when).

If they do reply, guaranteed sex. GUARANTEED.

By *uliette500Woman
over a year ago

Hull

I personally hate having yellow messages so have to deal with them promptly.

Others I think enjoy the thrill of a full yellow message box as it gives them a boost.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Because sometimes I don't have the headspace to reply to something. Someone. I will get around to replying but if it's a longer message, I'd rather wait until I could give it full justice. In terms of leaving some unread forever?

I try not to but sometimes messages slip through.

I'm going to have a fabmin late morning in bed when I'm back and reply to messages, this thread has reminded me I've been really slack. It's not through lack of interest, I've just got a fuck load on at the moment.

By *arktightsMan
over a year ago

banchory

I only have back and forth emails with my regular squeeze

One liner “hi - can you meet me now” type just get deleted straight away.

More interesting ones I will keep as a thread until it goes nowhere (which is 99% of the time!)

And then I reach out to my regular to try to arrange a get together…

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I don't understand that either, I delete everything, read or unread (if I can see it's crude)

I like a tidy inbox!

over a year ago

The 3,902,387 number on my yellow Inbox icon boosts my ego.

If I pressed 'delete all' I'd feel shit.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

If you get a reply, great, but you won't be sat there worrying about how long it's been unread?

This. It’s exactly what I do and it completely removes the catalyst for insecurities.

Delete all sent mail - fab tells you if you’ve messaged someone before and not had a reply (and when).

If they do reply, guaranteed sex. GUARANTEED."

I don't actually practise what I preach, though it doesn't bother me as much as the OP. I just sit there shouting "but she's read it...!!"

But now I know there's a guarantee, I'll change my habits!

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Various reasons. The only person who can tell you for each individual one is the person you messaged, and since they're not reading your messages you'll never really know.

So delete your sent messages. And stop letting it matter to you.

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Various reasons. The only person who can tell you for each individual one is the person you messaged, and since they're not reading your messages you'll never really know.

So delete your sent messages. And stop letting it matter to you."

Thanks, it does not really matter. I was just curious as to why people do it when it's left there gor months However people have explained that sometimes they get so many that even deleting them takes them lots of time. Each to their own personally I just delete as it also sort of gives sn answer to the other person unless of course its a nice message and will always reply whether interested on not

over a year ago

I prefer mine to just be delete straight away

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Because someone still complains once it's been read and not received a reply

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Because someone still complains once it's been read and not received a reply "

Then that is of course their problem and the block button works well for that

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"Because someone still complains once it's been read and not received a reply

Then that is of course their problem and the block button works well for that "

It's a no win win read or not I'd be more concerned about the price of chocolate and sweets as the price is going up but everything shrinking

By *ryandsee OP   Man
over a year ago

Yorkshire

It's a no win win read or not I'd be more concerned about the price of chocolate and sweets as the price is going up but everything shrinking "

I can't argue with that. I could swear I did a thread on that simetime ago

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

It's a no win win read or not I'd be more concerned about the price of chocolate and sweets as the price is going up but everything shrinking

I can't argue with that. I could swear I did a thread on that simetime ago "

Best way just let it go over your head on here more important things

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

"Thanks, it does not really matter. I was just curious as to why people do it when it's left there gor months However people have explained that sometimes they get so many that even deleting them takes them lots of time. Each to their own personally I just delete as it also sort of gives sn answer to the other person unless of course its a nice message and will always reply whether interested on not "

No response is an answer. Checking your sent messages for months after sending is kinda weird. I wish they'd get rid of that feature.

When I first rejoined my inbox got too full too quick, I couldn't get to the bottom to see all the unread. I think it took 3 months for it to stop telling me I had more unread below where I could see them.

Post new Message to Thread