Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Photography

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Just a place to chat about all things photography.

Favourite subjects,

Gear,

Advice,

Questions

I love landscape and seascape photography myself. I've dabbled with portraiture

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I recently rekindled my love for photography with the Fujifilm x100v, a 35mm equivalent mirrorless digital camera that’s such a joy to use and takes incredible photos.

I chose it exactly because of its fixed lens limitations, as it’s a good creative challenge an a contrast to my previous Canon rig that ended up paralysing me tosh too much choice and making me lose the love of the hobby.

I’ve been focusing on street photography primarily, capturing candid moments of daily life, but I’m looking forward to combining it with my current exploration of Shibari to shoot aestetic portraits of rope-bound subjects.

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

Have lost the love to a degree, used to be quite active in a club and did a lot of bodyscapes, portraits and long exposure stuff. Now it's all just collecting dust....

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I love street photography, seascapes and portrait. I’m using an old Panasonic GX7 4/3 but have sine nice lenses.

Favourites places for street is African cities like Abidjan & Lagos , for the sea it’s the north east cost between Bamburgh and Berwick just before sunrise. For portraits I love photographing women smoking cigarettes

over a year ago

"I recently rekindled my love for photography with the Fujifilm x100v, a 35mm equivalent mirrorless digital camera that’s such a joy to use and takes incredible photos.

I chose it exactly because of its fixed lens limitations, as it’s a good creative challenge an a contrast to my previous Canon rig that ended up paralysing me tosh too much choice and making me lose the love of the hobby.

I’ve been focusing on street photography primarily, capturing candid moments of daily life, but I’m looking forward to combining it with my current exploration of Shibari to shoot aestetic portraits of rope-bound subjects.

"

I've dabbled with street photography... but I feel so intrusive

over a year ago

"I love street photography, seascapes and portrait. I’m using an old Panasonic GX7 4/3 but have sine nice lenses.

Favourites places for street is African cities like Abidjan & Lagos , for the sea it’s the north east cost between Bamburgh and Berwick just before sunrise. For portraits I love photographing women smoking cigarettes"

Nice! I think smoke, mist, haze always adds a little magic

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Love model photography mainly on location beach waterfalls woods etc

Have my own website for pics

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Question - I had a gallery planned last year but cancelled it. I found the costs of printing and framing my work extortionate, even without gallery glass. I was looking to sell at around £150-£200 but costs were almost that.

Any tips?

By *ilBWoman
over a year ago

West Midlands

"I recently rekindled my love for photography with the Fujifilm x100v, a 35mm equivalent mirrorless digital camera that’s such a joy to use and takes incredible photos.

"

Take my photo on a beach, please

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

I love working with a fixed prime like that , I have so often thought about getting an X100 even though it’s seems like it makes no sense, but o get it, it forces you to take risks, move and interact in the street and that gets results

over a year ago

"Love model photography mainly on location beach waterfalls woods etc

"

Nice! Would u mind if I take a look?

over a year ago

I'm more into videography

over a year ago

Take my photo on a beach, please"

If you're ever in Cornwall?

over a year ago

"Take my photo on a beach, please"

Make sure to bring a lot of suntan oil.

over a year ago

"I love working with a fixed prime like that , I have so often thought about getting an X100 even though it’s seems like it makes no sense, but o get it, it forces you to take risks, move and interact in the street and that gets results "

You absolutely get it. I recently had the opportunity to attend a talk by a popular and very talented portrait and documentary photographer, and imagine my joy when she revealed her favourite lifestyle camera is the x100v.

If you can get one, get one, It's pure joy to use.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

The Mr is more into his photography than me, I enjoy erotic photography, he does landscapes, architecture and us too.

Mrs

By *ustincamebridgeCouple
over a year ago

manchester

I was formally trained and worked as a photographers assistant and a photographer for many years. Mainly still life and fashion.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Question - I had a gallery planned last year but cancelled it. I found the costs of printing and framing my work extortionate, even without gallery glass. I was looking to sell at around £150-£200 but costs were almost that.

Any tips? "

Who were you thinking of using?

Loxley Colour have a huge selection of options and are a common choice for UK pros if you want higher end stuff.

For more consumer geared choices (given most people aren't willing to pay premium prices for home art photos) that's perfectly good quality there's MyPicture - crazy cheap deals via their mailing list and I particularly like their acrylic range.

A

By *MattyMan
over a year ago

Naked coffee house near you - RWB-Swindon

Been a photographer for many a year now and love it.

I have tried many styles from street to glamour but fell into the sports photography world 7 year ago and not left it. Dabbling in festival stuff sine we cam out of lockdown too.

Both sports and festival offer the opportunity to show the emotion of players/bands and crowds.

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Love model photography mainly on location beach waterfalls woods etc

Nice! Would u mind if I take a look?"

message sent

over a year ago

Can anyone recommend a good, easy enough camera for a beginner to start out using?

Thanks

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

I've not been out shooting for quite a while. I need to get back out there.

I haven't moved to mirrorless yet but that lack of bulk appeals.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"I've not been out shooting for quite a while. I need to get back out there.

I haven't moved to mirrorless yet but that lack of bulk appeals. "

I want to get the Sony A7iii, would be second hand though as not cheap even pre owned

By *amantha TSWoman
over a year ago

Swindon

"Can anyone recommend a good, easy enough camera for a beginner to start out using?

Thanks"

Honestly - your phone! Worry less about the technicalities and start thinking about composition and light. Let technology help you to get some good results to start with, and phones are pretty good these days and most have a Pro mode where you can start to play with shutter exposure compensation and ISO settings. Once you want to start to play with depth of field etc then you can pick up a half decent DSLR quite cheap these days (I was shocked how little my 1D series bodies would fetch at trade in!). Gear doesn't make you a better photographer, and it can be a hindrance in the beginning. Have fun x

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

Honestly - your phone! Worry less about the technicalities and start thinking about composition and light. Let technology help you to get some good results to start with, and phones are pretty good these days and most have a Pro mode where you can start to play with shutter exposure compensation and ISO settings. Once you want to start to play with depth of field etc then you can pick up a half decent DSLR quite cheap these days (I was shocked how little my 1D series bodies would fetch at trade in!). Gear doesn't make you a better photographer, and it can be a hindrance in the beginning. Have fun x"

Interesting reply.

Photography was part of my job and I had excellent results using mid range, film, cameras mainly with tripods and cable release.

Went over to digital when I retired and got progressively worse results with each new product due to the increasing fiddliness involved. Setting things to auto always leads to disappointing results.

Now the stand alone cameras have been consigned to a drawer and, if I really have to, I use one phone or another but really don't enjoy the mode.

However I have to admit the pixel count has increased dramatically and the lenses are hard to believe capable of doing the job but somehow do.

Truth is that post processing is important and I don't have time or inclination for it as I am either on here or lazing about.

Probably average one picture taken every week or so and not for the creative hell of it any longer, more as a record or for forwarding. I don't count photography as a hobby any more, sadly.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"

Honestly - your phone! Worry less about the technicalities and start thinking about composition and light. Let technology help you to get some good results to start with, and phones are pretty good these days and most have a Pro mode where you can start to play with shutter exposure compensation and ISO settings. Once you want to start to play with depth of field etc then you can pick up a half decent DSLR quite cheap these days (I was shocked how little my 1D series bodies would fetch at trade in!). Gear doesn't make you a better photographer, and it can be a hindrance in the beginning. Have fun x

Interesting reply.

Photography was part of my job and I had excellent results using mid range, film, cameras mainly with tripods and cable release.

Went over to digital when I retired and got progressively worse results with each new product due to the increasing fiddliness involved. Setting things to auto always leads to disappointing results.

Now the stand alone cameras have been consigned to a drawer and, if I really have to, I use one phone or another but really don't enjoy the mode.

However I have to admit the pixel count has increased dramatically and the lenses are hard to believe capable of doing the job but somehow do.

Truth is that post processing is important and I don't have time or inclination for it as I am either on here or lazing about.

Probably average one picture taken every week or so and not for the creative hell of it any longer, more as a record or for forwarding. I don't count photography as a hobby any more, sadly. "

I'm on quite a few photography sites and in teams on apps, all my current photos are taken with phone but everyone says you can't tell. As long as you have settings set right and you get good composition you can capture a good photo.

Having said that, if I had a mirrorless and good glass it would definitely take photos to another level but I would shoot everything in Raw for better results after I've edited.

Post new Message to Thread