Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any soldiers ?

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Any guys on here who have been in the army as a soldier ? I’m curious to know why you joined.

Not engineers or careers , I mean guys who join at 16 or 18 to train to fight. Why did you do it ?

What would you say to someone that ate thinking about it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Any guys on here who have been in the army as a soldier ? I’m curious to know why you joined.

Not engineers or careers , I mean guys who join at 16 or 18 to train to fight. Why did you do it ?

What would you say to someone that ate thinking about it ? "

Why does it have to be just guys? Plenty of us women that have done the same thing.

over a year ago

"Any guys on here who have been in the army as a soldier ? I’m curious to know why you joined.

What would you say to someone that ate thinking about it ? Why does it have to be just guys? Plenty of us women that have done the same thing. "

This!!

By *ine TimeMan
over a year ago

Grantham

Ex-RAF

I joined for free socks and unlimited chips

By *pank the MonkeyCouple
over a year ago

Down the Rabbit Hole and Round the Corner

What a strange question

over a year ago

I joined cause I couldn't concentrate in school/didn't learn quick enough got shit grades with no prospects and the recession had just begun so I joined up at 18 left at the age of 23 with a different outlook on life and have managed to salvage what some might call a meaningful life

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

My nephew joined up at 18 he did not know what to do then found out he was good with a gun so liked it he only left when he was not allowed to shoot people.

I would say don't do it the PTSD from the training alown will do you in.

over a year ago

You do realise that even engineers and caterers are trained to fight too?

over a year ago

Anyone who joins the Army is a soldier. Irrespective of their trade.

And they are all trained to fight.

Are you specifically asking people who joined the Infantry??

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

You do realise that even engineers and caterers are trained to fight too?"

Yeah but not to the extent that professional soldiers in the infantry are.

over a year ago

Yeah but not to the extent that professional soldiers in the infantry are. "

That's not true at all. Fighter first, its that simple or it least it was when I joined up

over a year ago

Having lived and worked in garrison towns most of my adult life, the words infantry and professional only occasionally coexist!

over a year ago

I miss the free socks.

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

I used to be in the SAS but don’t like to talk about it…

over a year ago

"I miss the free socks. "

I miss shiney things

over a year ago

Having lived and worked in garrison towns most of my adult life, the words infantry and professional only occasionally coexist!"

"The infantry have professionally fucked it" kind of like that?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/03/23 23:48:11]

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Having lived and worked in garrison towns most of my adult life, the words infantry and professional only occasionally coexist!"

over a year ago

"I miss the free socks. "

I miss my right foot And the free socks, of course. A pair lasts much longer now

By *ine TimeMan
over a year ago

Grantham

"

“Every airfield should be a stronghold of fighting air-groundmen, and not the abode of uniformed civilians in the prime of life protected by detachments of soldiers. It must be clearly understood by all ranks that they are expected to fight and die in the defence of their airfields.” - Winston Churchill, 1941.

Every member of the Armed Forces, irrespective of Branch, Trade, or Fighting Arm is, to a greater or lesser extent, trained to fight and defeat the King’s enemies

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I’m from a whole family of military personnel so I know the military way of life. It wasn’t for me at all though. As I’m too much of a free spirit

over a year ago

Having lived and worked in garrison towns most of my adult life, the words infantry and professional only occasionally coexist!

"The infantry have professionally fucked it" kind of like that?"

More in terms of ill disciplined violent d*unken thugs. Granted certain regiments notably worse than others!

over a year ago

Define professional. I was 82nd CAB I had dust offs in hot DZs what the difference? Yup a woman . Without support what is infantry again? I'll will tell you Gone. I loved how the infantry bragged about the bravado. Yet they can't stand a chance by themselves.

over a year ago

"I used to be in the SAS but don’t like to talk about it…"

Shhhhhh, what colour is the boathouse are Hereford??

I think i recognise you from 'the balcony '

By *ine TimeMan
over a year ago

Grantham

“I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me.” - Field Marshal The Duke of Wellington

over a year ago

Still serving and not in the Infantry….whilst they’re core fundamentals are to fight and how to operate in a gun fight the outcome is the same as all other soldiers….shoot the enemy and don’t be shot!!

But the support from all across the services provides the “fighters” the outcome to win!!

And I did it for money and life experience - trying very hard to find something else as a career but it’ll do for now!!

I would say don’t bother haha

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

You do realise that even engineers and caterers are trained to fight too?"

Yeah I get that , I almost joined REME at 16 and I know friends who did careers as chefs in the navy & officers who joined as adults after university but there’s a big difference to young guys joining at 16 to just train to fight in wars and kill people.

over a year ago

Yeah but not to the extent that professional soldiers in the infantry are. Define professional. I was 82nd CAB I had dust offs in hot DZs what the difference? Yup a woman . Without support what is infantry again? I'll will tell you Gone. I loved how the infantry bragged about the bravado. Yet they can't stand a chance by themselves."

But back to the OPs question. I loved it my dad was a colonel in the marines. He stated that you will never be more accepted anywhere else. He was correct. I have friends from all over the planet. All races all religions and sexual preferences. We all sisters and brothers in dire situations. I wouldn't trade anything for that family.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"I used to be in the SAS but don’t like to talk about it…

I think i recognise you from 'the balcony '"

I put a generator in sas pontraits about 1992 non military.

over a year ago

Yeah I get that , I almost joined REME at 16 and I know friends who did careers as chefs in the navy & officers who joined as adults after university but there’s a big difference to young guys joining at 16 to just train to fight in wars and kill people. "

Yeah.

Qualifications usually.

over a year ago

"

Well said!

over a year ago

Professional soldiers???

We dont have amateurs.

I think what you are trying to say is that REMF's dont receive as much combat training as Infantry units.

Which is true.

All soldiers receive basic military training. Then most go onto their trade training..armourers, cooks, mechanics, builders, clerks, medics

Infantry go onto Phase 2 Advanced Infantry training (in Catterick, i believe).

over a year ago

Professional soldiers???

We dont have amateurs.

I think what you are trying to say is that REMF's dont receive as much combat training as Infantry units.

Which is true.

All soldiers receive basic military training. Then most go onto their trade training..armourers, cooks, mechanics, builders, clerks, medics

Infantry go onto Phase 2 Advanced Infantry training (in Catterick, i believe)."

Also, from memory, the fitness test levels for the Infantry and PARA's are higher...(unless that's changed?)

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"

Yes. A young guy in my family is thinking of joining as he don’t know what else to do with his life, I spoke to him and he doesn’t really know why but he wants to join the infantry for 4 years then leave like some friends have or get out after 2 by getting in trouble . He was interested in being a pilot before, to the £500 BA assessment and they said he’s not got what it takes. It feels like his is is just wanting to prove himself to family / friends etc

over a year ago

Sometimes looking back. We didn't judge we didn't care of your preferences. The only thing that was asked is if you got my 6. In basic we all got stripped down to basic humanity. But we developed a "Basic" understanding of one another.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 28/03/23 00:11:01]

over a year ago

Yes. A young guy in my family is thinking of joining as he don’t know what else to do with his life, I spoke to him and he doesn’t really know why but he wants to join the infantry for 4 years then leave like some friends have or get out after 2 by getting in trouble . He was interested in being a pilot before, to the £500 BA assessment and they said he’s not got what it takes. It feels like his is is just wanting to prove himself to family / friends etc "

Wanting to be an airline pilot?

Then an Infantry soldier. That's quite a contrast.

Why specifically the Infantry??

There are so many trades in the military.

If he has an interest in flying, look into the Army Air Corp

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Yes. A young guy in my family is thinking of joining as he don’t know what else to do with his life, I spoke to him and he doesn’t really know why but he wants to join the infantry for 4 years then leave like some friends have or get out after 2 by getting in trouble . He was interested in being a pilot before, to the £500 BA assessment and they said he’s not got what it takes. It feels like his is is just wanting to prove himself to family / friends etc

If he has an interest in flying, look into the Army Air Corp"

I know…. This is what’s so confusing, everyone is shocked and worried. I can totally understand the military career choice, it’s a good move, I know officers and a good friend of mine is a pilot who learned to fly for free in the RAF ( it’s costs 40-80K otherwise) . But this boy just wants to join infantry

over a year ago

If he has an interest in flying, look into the Army Air Corp"

Does the UK offer a warrant officer MOS? Where he can go in as enlisted and go to aviation school?

over a year ago

I know…. This is what’s so confusing, everyone is shocked and worried. I can totally understand the military career choice, it’s a good move, I know officers and a good friend of mine is a pilot who learned to fly for free in the RAF ( it’s costs 40-80K otherwise) . But this boy just wants to join infantry "

Id suggest going along to a careers office and speaking to a recruiter.

They will offer advice, options and what's required.

There are quite a few veterans on Fab from all 3 of the services.

But the military has changed so much in the past few years.

At least a recruiter can give you up to date information

over a year ago

If he has an interest in flying, look into the Army Air Corp Does the UK offer a warrant officer MOS? Where he can go in as enlisted and go to aviation school?"

Not a clue. That's well above my grunt pay grade

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

I know…. This is what’s so confusing, everyone is shocked and worried. I can totally understand the military career choice, it’s a good move, I know officers and a good friend of mine is a pilot who learned to fly for free in the RAF ( it’s costs 40-80K otherwise) . But this boy just wants to join infantry "

Then I would say like my nephew he is angry and frustrated

over a year ago

When I joined, it was my only escape from a dead end town with no substantial qualifications. I went to join as cannon fodder, during the assessments and BARB test, I was instructed not to be so stupid, and ended up joining REME as an avionics tech.

During phase 1 at Pirbright, we ended up being paired with RTR1 as their phase 1 facility (can’t recall where that was) was being refurbished. They were a special group to say the least.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"When I joined, it was my only escape from a dead end town with no substantial qualifications. I went to join as cannon fodder, during the assessments and BARB test, I was instructed not to be so stupid, and ended up joining REME as an avionics tech.

During phase 1 at Pirbright, we ended up being paired with RTR1 as their phase 1 facility (can’t recall where that was) was being refurbished. They were a special group to say the least. "

I almost joined REME, I remember I had to travel in thick snow at 15 right across the county to Old Dalby to take all kinds of tests. I did really well and got a place but I was put off by all these little posh kids arriving in parents land rovers. I had walked in across a field and arrived soaking wet and looking like a snow monster !! I felt like I didn’t belong there and that it was like army university for rich kids rather than real army !

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

It may be that he is at that age where he literally doesn't know what to do which isn't uncommon..

As said careers office can give him the up to date information to help him in his decisions..

RM if he wants to 'soldier' is also an option..

Can see similarities with the young man and myself at that age..

Once a Sapper ..

over a year ago

If he has an interest in flying, look into the Army Air Corp Does the UK offer a warrant officer MOS? Where he can go in as enlisted and go to aviation school?"

No they don't. For direct entry into any of the flying branches you have to be on an officer based training programme. It is possible to rise from within the ranks, but not easy.

By *tanx63Man
over a year ago

rhondda

18 years in the Infantry

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

you eat sleep and breathe the thought?

over a year ago

Was told I'd get to kick down doors.

They didn't lie, but they lied about what was on the other side of the doors.

By *ookingforfun9970Man
over a year ago

nearby

The adverts at the time looked like it was a good choice, and it is

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

12 years on armoured vehicles from CVR to MBT in certain places, would I do it again most probably but I would tell my younger self to get a decent trade the was transferable, there aint much call for a tank commander in civvy street

By *migger123Man
over a year ago

f

I love military chicks so hot

By *ohn heaneyMan
over a year ago

kildare

I joined when I was 18.my work colleague was joining and said why don't I join so I said ahh feck it why not. I only stayed in for 4 years.I done 6 months in Lebanon and 4 months in East Timor.

By *J5551959Man
over a year ago

Alford

All soldiers are trained to fight whether they are Infantry or any trade like REME, RE etc.

If someone is thinking of doing it I'd say do it. I had a short career but loved it. I have mates who I made then that I'm still mates with 40 years later.

By *elpful and caringMan
over a year ago

Scarborough

Lack of academic qualifications led me to join an infantry regiment.

By *ebootCouple
over a year ago

Telford

I was in the middle of studying to be a journalist when I split up with my long term girlfriend - I marched into Army careers and asked for the sharpest toughest nastiest unit I could get into - they pushed me towards the RMP’s, wasn’t keen - Navy careers was next door - I popped into there where there was a Royal Marine sergeant - he won.

By *migger123Man
over a year ago

f

"I was in the middle of studying to be a journalist when I split up with my long term girlfriend - I marched into Army careers and asked for the sharpest toughest nastiest unit I could get into - they pushed me towards the RMP’s, wasn’t keen - Navy careers was next door - I popped into there where there was a Royal Marine sergeant - he won. "

Heard paras are the best??

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

I think i recognise you from 'the balcony '"

You know you do bare a spooky resemblance to the 'umpire'

By *ebootCouple
over a year ago

Telford

"I was in the middle of studying to be a journalist when I split up with my long term girlfriend - I marched into Army careers and asked for the sharpest toughest nastiest unit I could get into - they pushed me towards the RMP’s, wasn’t keen - Navy careers was next door - I popped into there where there was a Royal Marine sergeant - he won.

Heard paras are the best??"

You heard wrong

over a year ago

Was never in the army but joined the Marines at 18 to see the world.

Got my fix of adventure over the next 20 odd years.

Good Times!

over a year ago

"I was in the middle of studying to be a journalist when I split up with my long term girlfriend - I marched into Army careers and asked for the sharpest toughest nastiest unit I could get into - they pushed me towards the RMP’s, wasn’t keen - Navy careers was next door - I popped into there where there was a Royal Marine sergeant - he won.

You heard wrong "

Rangers all the way

over a year ago

I applied to join the QAs but realised I didn't have the self discipline for the soldering side.

Applied because I wanted to travel and escape from home.

over a year ago

I think i recognise you from 'the balcony '

You know you do bare a spooky resemblance to the 'umpire' "

Maybe i shouldn't walk round with a pixilated face??

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

I blame Frank!

…. but I had already got my first Yellow Handbag by then!

- those that know will get this

R xx

over a year ago

Had many of them ??

over a year ago

"I blame Frank!

R xx"

"Ich bin ein box head you monkey bastard"

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

"I blame Frank!

R xx"

Herfie shit bier lol

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

You know you do bare a spooky resemblance to the 'umpire'

Maybe i shouldn't walk round with a pixilated face??"

More the beard / cut off pic

over a year ago

You heard wrong Rangers all the way "

Park Rangers is that?........(runs and hides.. )

Post new Message to Thread