Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A serious request to all you invincible fabbers

Jump to newest

By *assy69 OP   Man
over a year ago

West Sussex and Wales

Old age has been creeping up on me, and I recently had to go through a barrage of tests after realising all of my aching joints were not going to miraculously get better.

My blood tests have revealed that, despite a relatively healthy diet and lifestyle, I have an incredibly unhealthy cholesterol level and, at this moment in time, am at high risk of a heart attack or stroke. Am now in a rush to get levels down a bit.

If the old joints were not achy, then I’d not have contacted the doc, and I would never have known about the cholesterol until it was too late.

So, my plea is that, no matter how healthy you may feel, make sure you have regular general health check ups

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

Thanks Bassy, good advice here. I’m probably guilty of not getting checked up regularly enough.

How are you doing after the results? I hope they didn’t get you down - high cholesterol is pretty easy to reverse.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

It's not always straightforward to deal with high cholesterol. If a person has familial hypercholesterolemia, which is inherited, only taking medication is likely to reduce it significantly.

Good advice though. I've just recently had a full MOT when joining a new GP surgery, as has Mr KC (who was reminded he's underweight )

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

The usual advice is cut out alcohol and dairy while increasing exercise.

Despite never tasting alcohol ever and not taking dairy in 10 years with an active exercise regime and weighing less than 12 stone I've also been diagnosed with hypertension and high cholesterol in recent weeks.

It has to be hereditary so don't rely on your own idea of how healthy you think you may be.

It's not just a matter of taking a statin either because I've had a reaction to those as well which made me really ill so you need a tailored approach.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My cholesterol slight high so also been told cut out red meat. Chicken curry not lamb

By *assy69 OP   Man
over a year ago

West Sussex and Wales

My problem is an inherited, already have a good diet and minimal alcohol intake so, after a long and heated discussion with the doc (I don’t like taking medication unless I really have to) medication is the only course of action I have. Will review in 4 weeks and, if I am still here and improving, then will review 8 weeks after that and see how things are going …….

The call was a bit of an unexpected shock, but knowing already that both my parents had cholesterol issues, it was not a crushing blow and I am ok about it

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"My problem is an inherited, already have a good diet and minimal alcohol intake so, after a long and heated discussion with the doc (I don’t like taking medication unless I really have to) medication is the only course of action I have. Will review in 4 weeks and, if I am still here and improving, then will review 8 weeks after that and see how things are going …….

The call was a bit of an unexpected shock, but knowing already that both my parents had cholesterol issues, it was not a crushing blow and I am ok about it "

Good luck to you

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"It's not always straightforward to deal with high cholesterol. If a person has familial hypercholesterolemia, which is inherited, only taking medication is likely to reduce it significantly.

Good advice though. I've just recently had a full MOT when joining a new GP surgery, as has Mr KC (who was reminded he's underweight )"

I see! In that case I shall graciously stand corrected. I honestly believed it was down to diet but I have learned something today.

OP - good luck and I hope you are able to manage it well enough to mitigate the risks.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Best of luck with it, OP

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

If you have hypothyroidism you're prone to high cholesterol too. Diet won't help there either although getting thyroid medication level correct helps.

Post new Message to Thread