Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Is this ok? *job interview*

Jump to newest

By *inx.x3 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Bath

It’s nothing sexual, sorry everyone.

Iv been in my job a long time but Iv decided recently to see what’s around as I’m bored. The only reason Iv stayed in my job is because they are extremely flexible hours wise which has been perfect as I have 2 kids.

However Iv applied for a few jobs on indeed and I have now been invited to a interview next week.

The job role states Full time and Hybrid working model will apply.

So for those of you with more job/interview experience then me….. Can I ask them before the interview via email what the hours expectation are? Or is this seen as a bad thing? Should I wait until the actual interview to ask? I don’t want to waste my time if it’s unsuitable hours.

Im aware I interview badly so I don’t want to put myself through a interview if I don’t have too. I went for a job about 4 years ago and I completely messed it up. Im confident but my mind goes completely blank when I get asked some question like ‘Describe a time you resolved an issue for an unsatisfied client. What happened, and what did you do?’ Or ‘Are you comfortable with multitasking? Please give an example of a time you handled multiple tasks successfully’.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If there’s a number available scheduled a call and slip it in. If the first interview is screening with HR type person I would ask.

There are career websites and the job centre can do mock interviews with you or you could ask someone on fab

By *urora1912Woman
over a year ago

Norfolk East anglia

I recently interviewed as I'm Feb up with where I've been for the last 23years

That was scary to do it but I got the job.

Think about some of your answers that you would give to those questions and you'll be more prepared.

Maybe reach out to the HR department if you have their information

If not its something to ask at the interview and see what would work for you and if it fits around life too

over a year ago

I don't see how it could be viewed as a bad thing by asking that. If you get an answer it may be something you could discuss at the end if the interview when they ask if you have any questions. And write those questions down so that you don't forget them as your mind will probably be mush by then!

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

OP, I can’t see any negative reason for asking ahead of time. I’m assuming someone from HR has been in touch to arrange the interview? If so, they can discuss with the hiring manager. It’s not unfair to know whether the job will suit you as well as you suiting their job.

One thought, though. Given your comment about interviewing badly, why not go through with it regardless? It sounds as though if you don’t want/get this job, you’ll go for another. Why not use this as a mock interview and polish your skills?

By *unfunfun xMan
over a year ago

LONDON

Im not expert on these things but i think since covid the working hours and days in the offices has totally changed and more mix office/home in a week, it's so noticeable in London especially, and all firms companies now a days have to adapt to work conditions especially to parents, I wouldn't mention it before hand, but good luck hope it goes well

By *WDomMan
over a year ago

Taunton

Its likely worth going to the interview even if the hours don’t work, if you’re out of practice with interviews can only help even if it doesn’t lead to a suitable job this time if it helps you get the job you do want.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Good advice here. I can see why going to the interview irrespective would be great practice. Though as a recruiter, I would actually be pleased if someone asked about the hours/T&C's and chose to rule themselves out, if they know it's a total no-no. It's frustrating to have a good interview candidate who you offer the job but then they decline due to the hours etc. It's frustrating for me especially because we have a tiny pool of suitable candidates, so often only 1 appointable person at interview.

By *inx.x3 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Bath

"Good advice here. I can see why going to the interview irrespective would be great practice. Though as a recruiter, I would actually be pleased if someone asked about the hours/T&C's and chose to rule themselves out, if they know it's a total no-no. It's frustrating to have a good interview candidate who you offer the job but then they decline due to the hours etc. It's frustrating for me especially because we have a tiny pool of suitable candidates, so often only 1 appointable person at interview."

Thanks. I can see the pros to going to the interview but then like you say above it would be a total waste of time for you.

I think it’s me and 1 other they are interviewing as the email they sent me wasn’t personalised and it has both our email addresses in the box ‘To’ box so I’m not entirely happy that they have done a bulk email as I think they should of done it separately.

By *inx.x3 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Bath

"Im not expert on these things but i think since covid the working hours and days in the offices has totally changed and more mix office/home in a week, it's so noticeable in London especially, and all firms companies now a days have to adapt to work conditions especially to parents, I wouldn't mention it before hand, but good luck hope it goes well "

I used to be 100% office based.

Im now 100% WFH which has been great as we are allowed to pick our own hours and I do 7am-3.30pm. It means I finish as the kids come through the door. My current place of work regret giving out so many WFH contracts and now want more people in the office but no one wants to return

However, Hybrid could work if I started a new job.

over a year ago

"Good advice here. I can see why going to the interview irrespective would be great practice. Though as a recruiter, I would actually be pleased if someone asked about the hours/T&C's and chose to rule themselves out, if they know it's a total no-no. It's frustrating to have a good interview candidate who you offer the job but then they decline due to the hours etc. It's frustrating for me especially because we have a tiny pool of suitable candidates, so often only 1 appointable person at interview.

Thanks. I can see the pros to going to the interview but then like you say above it would be a total waste of time for you.

I think it’s me and 1 other they are interviewing as the email they sent me wasn’t personalised and it has both our email addresses in the box ‘To’ box so I’m not entirely happy that they have done a bulk email as I think they should of done it separately. "

Really surprised they sent the email like that. Sounds like a breach of confidentiality to me. Good luck whatever you decide to do and give it your best shot.

over a year ago

Be open upfront. If it harms your chances, then it's great to find out they are a shot company early doors.

I'd welcome the honesty. "Can you let me know what flexibility you have around hours? I'm a parent, and so I'm looking for an arrangement where we can both offer flexibility to make the most of what I can bring"

And those competency interview. Trick is stay calm... And if you are having a mind blank just say. It's the job of the interviewers to help understand what makes you tick.

Good luck.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

They will be greatful you asked beforehand, as if you both decide it's not worth your while going ahead with it, they can at least invite another candidate from the list that didn't quite make it.

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

Don't be too worried about the interview itself either. Remember they invited you, so they must think your already suitable on paper. Just think back to previous interviews and how you think you might have floundered. Just work on those things a bit. Don't be afraid of silence after a short answer. It's a trick many interviewers use to get you to keep talking and trip yourself up. It's a bit of a power trip for them. Nothing wrong with being succinct.

over a year ago

North West

"Good advice here. I can see why going to the interview irrespective would be great practice. Though as a recruiter, I would actually be pleased if someone asked about the hours/T&C's and chose to rule themselves out, if they know it's a total no-no. It's frustrating to have a good interview candidate who you offer the job but then they decline due to the hours etc. It's frustrating for me especially because we have a tiny pool of suitable candidates, so often only 1 appointable person at interview.

I think it’s me and 1 other they are interviewing as the email they sent me wasn’t personalised and it has both our email addresses in the box ‘To’ box so I’m not entirely happy that they have done a bulk email as I think they should of done it separately. "

They definitely should NOT be including other candidates emails or names in an email to you. That is potentially a GDPR issue. If sending an email to more than one person, they should use bcc......

By *hatsWhatCoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

Hey OP,

Jot down some prompts on paper / iPad for those competency based questions. It’s an interview, not a memory test!

Use a grid to document prompts to your answers.

I’d rather see someone look at a note than struggle to answer the question. My follow up questions will test whether you just read me a load of scripted BS

By *ilffadMan
over a year ago

swansea

Ask the question, however hybrid working is separate from flexible working, they may have a policy on that to be family friendly also.

Ask, the worse they can say is no and if that is the case, is that company for you?

By *alking HeadMan
over a year ago

Bolton

"Ask the question, however hybrid working is separate from flexible working, they may have a policy on that to be family friendly also.

Ask, the worse they can say is no and if that is the case, is that company for you?"

Remember, your interviewing them as well.

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I used to run my own business and interviewed many people and I don’t actually remember one person asking me questions about something so specific before the interview so I’d say that indicates it’s considered a bit of a no-no. If someone had asked me that then I think I’d have found it a bit off putting as it kind of shows a lack of willingness to be flexible and gives the impression you aren’t prepared to put yourself out if it isn’t convenient (I’m not saying that’s true but it’s the impression I’d get). As an employer there’s nothing more frustrating than when we’re under pressure to get something finished quickly and people leave at the exact second they’re meant to rather than putting in a bit of overtime to help out.

It may seem like a good idea to rule yourself out early if the hours don’t suit you but on the other hand, if the hours do suit you, then you may be setting a bad first impression by asking. Personally, I’d say don’t risk it, it may be the perfect job for you so why do anything to risk ruining your chances of getting it before the interview’s even started. The whole point of an interview is for the employer to see if the candidate suits the job role and for the candidate to see it the job role suits them, so leave any questions until the interview i reckon.

But more importantly, you should consider whether you really want to work for a company that sends an email to both candidates with your emails visible to each other because that is really bad etiquette, unprofessional, inconsiderate and a breach of privacy laws.

By *edeWoman
over a year ago

the abyss

Are you sure they weren't including the person doing the interview in the email rather than another candidate? I've had that before?

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"I think it’s me and 1 other they are interviewing as the email they sent me wasn’t personalised and it has both our email addresses in the box ‘To’ box so I’m not entirely happy that they have done a bulk email as I think they should of done it separately. "

I would definitely raise that with them.

Several reasons why.

1. Breach of your email address to a 3rd party, and theirs to you.

2. If I was a hiring manager and spotted this mistake, I'd want to know about it, in order to report it internally to my own GDPR Officer. Even it was me that made it. Because if the other person complains before I get a chance to report it, that's a very bad look indeed. If you report it to the hiring manager, you are doing them a favour.

3. And if I was the hiring manager and I knew, then I would wonder if you noticed, and if you would say anything about. So whilst it may be a genuine mistake, it can be used to gain a measure of a potential employee's diligence and honesty. I'd think "Crikey, she's on the ball and understands GDPR. That's a tick."

By *inx.x3 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Bath

"Are you sure they weren't including the person doing the interview in the email rather than another candidate? I've had that before? "

The recruiters email address is a company email address. Mine and the other candidates are personal email addresses as it’s along the lines of ..

Tommy6.smith@outlook.com

So although it not impossible, I doubt it’s someone else within the company. The email wasn’t personalised either so I’m pretty sure it was just an email to the 2 applicants that applied.

Not sure how accurate indeed is but it did say 1-5 people applied for the job via their website so that also makes it tie in.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"I used to run my own business and interviewed many people and I don’t actually remember one person asking me questions about something so specific before the interview so I’d say that indicates it’s considered a bit of a no-no. If someone had asked me that then I think I’d have found it a bit off putting as it kind of shows a lack of willingness to be flexible and gives the impression you aren’t prepared to put yourself out if it isn’t convenient."

I don't wish to be disrespectful, but that attitude meandered out quite a while ago, long before Covid, but certainly post-Covid it saw its final death knell.

Treating any element of a person's job as "not for discussion and if they do ask, it's bad form", perpetuates a negative environment for the employee and ultimately the employer.

It's a discussion between adults and both should enter the discussion equitably and equally. You're not doing them a favour offering a job, and they are not doing you a favour being there.

If "being flexible" is part of the job requirement, then state it as such up front so the candidate can consider if it fits their requirements. If the candidate ask first, then be honest with them. There is no need to look down on a candidate for asking, because they want to ensure you are a match for them as much as you want to ensure they are a match for you. Full disclosure and nothing off the table will allow the process to flow much more transparently and honestly for all parties involved.

By *ickD80Man
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"I used to run my own business and interviewed many people and I don’t actually remember one person asking me questions about something so specific before the interview so I’d say that indicates it’s considered a bit of a no-no. If someone had asked me that then I think I’d have found it a bit off putting as it kind of shows a lack of willingness to be flexible and gives the impression you aren’t prepared to put yourself out if it isn’t convenient.

I don't wish to be disrespectful, but that attitude meandered out quite a while ago, long before Covid, but certainly post-Covid it saw its final death knell.

Treating any element of a person's job as "not for discussion and if they do ask, it's bad form", perpetuates a negative environment for the employee and ultimately the employer.

It's a discussion between adults and both should enter the discussion equitably and equally. You're not doing them a favour offering a job, and they are not doing you a favour being there.

If "being flexible" is part of the job requirement, then state it as such up front so the candidate can consider if it fits their requirements. If the candidate ask first, then be honest with them. There is no need to look down on a candidate for asking, because they want to ensure you are a match for them as much as you want to ensure they are a match for you. Full disclosure and nothing off the table will allow the process to flow much more transparently and honestly for all parties involved.

"

I think you’ve misunderstood my point and I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I didn’t actually say anything was not up for discussion and what I meant was that by contacting them before the interview to ask gives the impression that your biggest concern is being able to start and finish at a certain time and you aren’t prepared to stray from those times. I didn’t say that she shouldn’t ask about working hours, I said it might be best to ask at the interview stage as that’s the time for discussing those things. As I implied, there were times when it would have been helpful for employees to be more flexible with their hours but they weren’t prepared to be but that was their choice and i didn’t hold it against them. It was annoying when I was left on my own, working late into the night but that’s what comes with owning a business and although I’d have appreciated people doing some overtime to help I never demanded it.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"I think you’ve misunderstood my point and I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. I didn’t actually say anything was not up for discussion and what I meant was that by contacting them before the interview to ask gives the impression that your biggest concern is being able to start and finish at a certain time and you aren’t prepared to stray from those times. I didn’t say that she shouldn’t ask about working hours, I said it might be best to ask at the interview stage as that’s the time for discussing those things. As I implied, there were times when it would have been helpful for employees to be more flexible with their hours but they weren’t prepared to be but that was their choice and i didn’t hold it against them. It was annoying when I was left on my own, working late into the night but that’s what comes with owning a business and although I’d have appreciated people doing some overtime to help I never demanded it. "

Ah ok, thank you for clarifying and apologies if I misunderstood.

By *eard and BoobsCouple
over a year ago

Portstewart

Have you done any research about the company that has offered you the interview, as in if its a factory style setting making products it is probably a 2 or 3 shift system of in retail it will probably be heavy on the weekend work or if in hospitality it's definitely weekend heavy

By *ampWithABrainWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Research the company, glass door is a good place to get a sense of the culture and flexibility they offer. Also check their social media.

Plan your answers to likely questions using the STARR Method :

Situation

Task

Action

Result

Reflection.

Have questions to ask them that aren’t “what’s the staff discount and how much leave do I get?”

Ask about their future plans for the company, about particular projects they have in hand that kind of thing.

If in doubt, breathe and focus. Nothing wrong with a little strategic silence.

When you go in, a firm handshake, look them in the eye, if offered a drink accept as a wee sip can offer an excuse for a strategic pause too. Don’t fidget, speak slower than you think you should.

Genuinely hope that’s helpful to you.

By *ilkstressWoman
over a year ago

Drasnia

[Removed by poster at 22/03/23 02:14:20]

By *ilkstressWoman
over a year ago

Drasnia

I think the question about hours is better asked in the interview. You can then ask more questions so they don't think you're simply focussed on the hours you may be working.

I always hated those questions that you give examples of, OP. Years ago, a very good friend helped me by going through a list of difficult questions and making me answer him. We did it in person so it was like an interview but on the other hand, it was relaxed. So I was able to think and not feel like a rabbit frozen in the headlights. That interview practice really helped me and I got the job I was going for.

By *ittlemiss1985Woman
over a year ago

Lansing

Can you Google the company and the position to see what to expect?

By *irtyKittenCouple
over a year ago

Southampton

Hybrid is normally 1 to 2 full days in the office and rest of the time at home.

over a year ago

Good luck

By *innie The MinxWoman
over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Hi OP, I'd ask what the expected hours were, but if the job is one you genuinely want to do I would still go for the interview, regardless.

If a candidate impresses at the interview sometimes the hours can be tweaked, I've had that happen before.

It does sound a bit like you are trying to talk yourself out of going? It can be daunting if you've not interviewed in a while. Do your prep on the job spec, find out about the company, and get a handful of answers ready for those " give an example of xyx" questions.If they do throw you a curve ball of a question you can always say "that's a good question, can I come back to that" to give you a bit of time to think.

Worst case scenario it will be great interview practise!

Good luck OP

over a year ago

North West

"Hybrid is normally 1 to 2 full days in the office and rest of the time at home.

"

My hybrid is 3 in the centre, 2 at home, so it's definitely best to check with the specific employer.

over a year ago

They can tell you xyz before the interview or during, it’s what’s in the contract that matters. So don’t ask before the interview wait for them to offer you the job. That is when you negotiate for what you want (and if that’s hybrid get it in the contract in clear unequivocal terms).

Good luck

Post new Message to Thread