FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

London LTN's (Low Traffic Neighbourhoods)

Jump to newest

By *aribbean King 1985 OP   Man
over a year ago

South West London

Sorry but I don't see how LTN's cut traffic and reduce air pollution, I would vote for any Mayor next year who promises to get rid of them or some of them as Sadiq Khan has to go

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

You will stay in your zones, and eat the bugs

over a year ago

I don't understand congestion zone charges. If an area is suffering dangerous air pollution levels through traffic volume, then only allow in essential traffic. Charging anyone who drives through doesn't reduce the level of air pollution. It's not like you see anyone out cleaning the air, paid for with the zone fees?

over a year ago

South West London

Exactly, Congestion Charge, ULEZ and LTN's are just schemes to extract more money from people instead of schemes to "cut pollution"

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

Win win for Khant, with trains so unreliable & expensive we still opt for the car if coming into Town . He himself swans around in a Range Rover where an electric small car or tuk tuk would do in London.

Given the huge Khan loving immigration into London I can't see him losing a vote sadly.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Win win for Khant, with trains so unreliable & expensive we still opt for the car if coming into Town . He himself swans around in a Range Rover where an electric small car or tuk tuk would do in London.

Given the huge Khan loving immigration into London I can't see him losing a vote sadly. "

You know immigrants don't get to vote, right?

From the .gov website

"To vote in the London Mayor and London Assembly elections you must:

.be registered to vote

.be 18 or over on the day of the election (‘polling day’)

.be a British, Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or EU citizen

.be resident at an address in Greater London

.not be legally excluded from voting

But hey. Its all the immigrants fault isn't it.......

A

over a year ago

South West London

Well me and a few friends started a campaign to not vote for Sadiq Khan for next year's Mayoral Election so I will do my best on here to convince people not to vote for him

over a year ago

southampton

"Win win for Khant, with trains so unreliable & expensive we still opt for the car if coming into Town . He himself swans around in a Range Rover where an electric small car or tuk tuk would do in London.

Given the huge Khan loving immigration into London I can't see him losing a vote sadly.

From the .gov website

.be registered to vote

A"

You idiot, of course immigrants get to vote and many are 2nd or 3rd generation so British.

My point was many will vote based on cultural & religious background rather than actually suitability.

Much like football fans or family they do not always think past that aligenence.

Stop looking for things that don't exist, you don't have to be offended all the time.

over a year ago

southampton

"Well me and a few friends started a campaign to not vote for Sadiq Khan for next year's Mayoral Election so I will do my best on here to convince people not to vote for him "

Good luck, North bound Park Lane is a monumental cock up.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

From the .gov website

.be registered to vote

A

You idiot, of course immigrants get to vote and many are 2nd or 3rd generation so British.

My point was many will vote based on cultural & religious background rather than actually suitability.

Much like football fans or family they do not always think past that aligenence.

Stop looking for things that don't exist, you don't have to be offended all the time."

Strange how people always resort to insults when their argument is flawed.

I suggest you look up the laws on voting in the UK.

Here's a link in case it's difficult for you.

https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-uk/local-government

A

over a year ago

southampton

From the .gov website

.be registered to vote

A

Stop looking for things that don't exist, you don't have to be offended all the time.

Strange how people always resort to insults when their argument is flawed.

I suggest you look up the laws on voting in the UK.

Here's a link in case it's difficult for you.

https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-uk/local-government

A"

I wouldn't give you the satisfaction.

By *wickenham GentMan
over a year ago

Twickenham

I have never voted for Khan and never will also I do not know anyone who has voted for him makes you wonder.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

From the .gov website

.be registered to vote

A

You idiot, of course immigrants get to vote and many are 2nd or 3rd generation so British. "

So not immigrants at all then?

By *andycandy88Woman
over a year ago

Northolt

I just don't waste my time voting full stop. I strongly believe its a set up and they sway the results to suit them.

The immigrants and British citizens that are here to live civilly amongst others in the UK are never to be blamed, the immigrants don't have so many options benefit system and employment options to choose from back home hence why they are.

However the ones who are doing opposite sitting on benefits and abusing what they can get from the country but not working and paying their way in life like we all have to, they can F off out the country and even the ones who were born here and probably have family abroad they can go F off there too take their shitty ignorant selves out of the UK.

Coming from a British citizen myself

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Well me and a few friends started a campaign to not vote for Sadiq Khan for next year's Mayoral Election so I will do my best on here to convince people not to vote for him "

Which of his policies are you objecting too?

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"I have never voted for Khan and never will also I do not know anyone who has voted for him makes you wonder."

Makes you wonder what?

over a year ago

From the .gov website

.be registered to vote

A

Stop looking for things that don't exist, you don't have to be offended all the time."

And don't call people idiots.

Idiot

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Why is voting on the basis of culture bad?

Whose culture is good or bad?

over a year ago

South West London

"Well me and a few friends started a campaign to not vote for Sadiq Khan for next year's Mayoral Election so I will do my best on here to convince people not to vote for him

Which of his policies are you objecting too?"

Where do I start really:

Plans to expand ULEZ to all of London despite a consultation with over 60% voting against the expansion.

Imposes LTNs without much consultation which not only causes inconvenients but also causes more traffic on the roads instead of reducing it.

Hikes Council Tax for a 6th year running since being Mayor.

Hikes travel fares on all London public transport despite wanting people to use more public transport.

Crime been worse under him since his been London Mayor

Dont think I can take another year under him let alone another 4 years and some of you need to be honest with yourselfs whoever voted for him if his made your life any better living in London since he became Mayor 7 years ago??

By *.T.Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

Someone votes because they feel someone represents them or their views or the other candidates don't.

Remember, Sadiq Khan was voted in the same way Boris was, twice.

Kahn's race has no part to play in this.

By *hetalkingstoveMan
over a year ago

London

"Exactly, Congestion Charge, ULEZ and LTN's are just schemes to extract more money from people instead of schemes to "cut pollution""

Actually, a peer reviewed study has found that ULEZ does reduce pollution.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/10/ulez-cut-toxic-nox-pollution-across-london-by-23-report-finds

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Exactly, Congestion Charge, ULEZ and LTN's are just schemes to extract more money from people instead of schemes to "cut pollution"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/10/ulez-cut-toxic-nox-pollution-across-london-by-23-report-finds

"

Shhhhh. Facts don't count in elections.

A

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Exactly, Congestion Charge, ULEZ and LTN's are just schemes to extract more money from people instead of schemes to "cut pollution"

A"

Facts and evidence are a tool of the global elite and the deep state. They must be banned. Vibes only.

over a year ago

South West London

Yeah if you're driving a ULEZ compliant car but who's got money to buy a new car during tough economic times

By *abasaurus RexMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"Yeah if you're driving a ULEZ compliant car but who's got money to buy a new car during tough economic times"

The results mean there’s less pollution in the subject areas since the creation of a ULEZ. That could mean a wide variety of things, which are probably discussed and postulated in the paper itself but the broad point is that from a scientific perspective designating an area as a ULEZ does as a point of fact result in lower local emissions.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

A

Facts and evidence are a tool of the global elite and the deep state. They must be banned. Vibes only."

Preach!

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Yeah if you're driving a ULEZ compliant car but who's got money to buy a new car during tough economic times"

The the TFL website

"Most petrol vehicles under 16 years old or diesel vehicles under 6 years old already meet the emissions standards. Check your vehicle. Find out more about the ULEZ emission standards, daily charges and how to avoid needing to pay the charge for: Cars (petrol and diesel)"

Yeah. Who can afford a 16 year old car. Outrageous......

A

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yeah if you're driving a ULEZ compliant car but who's got money to buy a new car during tough economic times

The the TFL website

"Most petrol vehicles under 16 years old or diesel vehicles under 6 years old already meet the emissions standards. Check your vehicle. Find out more about the ULEZ emission standards, daily charges and how to avoid needing to pay the charge for: Cars (petrol and diesel)"

A"

Facts. Unclean, unclean.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

To be fair, I do agree that the ULEZ expansion (though the right thing to do imho) could be seen to affect the poorest most harshly, if you make the assumption that they have the oldest cars (tho I'm not sure that's necessarily true).

But the majority of cars are already compliant (most cars I see are newer than 16years old); that said, if you're in London, there's not much reason to drive for routine journeys when the public transport is so good and relatively cheap, so anything to encourage fewer unnecessary car journeys is surely a good thing.

over a year ago

South West London

Im with ULEZ in principle but the expansion has it comes at a bad time, I think it should at be prosponed until next year. I already drive a compliant car but my problem is more LTNs that I feel does the opposite effect but also destroys local trade.

Travel fare in London is the third highest in the world so not sure how cheap you guys really think it is and also its not as reliable too. Not when you're packed on tube and trains like sardine cans and also there's been more strikes on TFL under Khan then Johnson and Livignston.

over a year ago

South West London

Do you think its right that the Mayor of London is withdrawing £1 million of funding from a London council who's planning to get rid of LTNs??

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Yeah if you're driving a ULEZ compliant car but who's got money to buy a new car during tough economic times

To be fair, I do agree that the ULEZ expansion (though the right thing to do imho) could be seen to affect the poorest most harshly, if you make the assumption that they have the oldest cars (tho I'm not sure that's necessarily true).

But the majority of cars are already compliant (most cars I see are newer than 16years old); that said, if you're in London, there's not much reason to drive for routine journeys when the public transport is so good and relatively cheap, so anything to encourage fewer unnecessary car journeys is surely a good thing."

I drive a diesel. It's more than 6yrs old. It's also adapted for my needs. It's not so easy getting around on public transport by wheelchair, not even in London. Much of the Tube network is off limits, especially in the central area. Trains require you to pre book, preferably a minimum of 48hrs beforehand, which is highly impractical if you need to move around for work etc. in a responsive way. Buses have one space for wheelchairs and/or prams. Although wheelchairs are supposed to have legal priority, lots of people refuse to move. Buses require the driver to get out of the cab to deploy a ramp and if they can't be arsed, or park 10ft from the kerb, the wheelchair user is going nowhere.

I fully wish to reduce carbon emissions and tackle climate change, but I also want to be able to get from A to B, just like anyone else. A private car is currently the only practical option in many places, especially up here. Disabled drivers don't get any concessions on ULEZ thingys in many cities, e.g. Birmingham. And based on the London concessions, I also wouldn't qualify because my car is not wheelchair accessible. The hoist can be removed, although it's plumbed into the car electrics (unsure if they'd class that as permanent) and I don't get disability benefits.

By *4bimMan
over a year ago

Farnborough Hampshire

all this ulez and other things is just about taxation not the environment.

same with these 15 minute city plans that people will have to make longer journeys polluting everyone more who lives outside the town or city. how does that make sense?

i cannot ride my 4 year old motorbike in london as it does not pass the ulez test.

its only 650 cc yet the 1800cc harley davidson with loud pipes i recently took to london did.

you couldnt make it up

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

The problem with ULEZ is that essentially it's a "Pay to Pollute" scheme whereby you *are* allowed to pollute the environment, provided you cough up (pun intended) the cash to do it.

Thus, it disproportionately affects those who can afford it and those who cannot.

Those who can afford it, carry on polluting. Which defeats the purpose of a scheme to bring pollution under control, because it's not equitable.

Those who can afford it, haven't saved the environment one iota, so the scheme is not effective.

If you really wanted to save the environment and treat all with equity, you wouldn't have a two tiered system. You'd have a complete ban, with no loopholes to pay your way around. However, it seems there is no appetite for that. So nothing changes.

over a year ago

The the TFL website

A"

Blimey, people are punchy in here tonight.

A very naive comment.

Lots of people i work with who still live in London dont have a car because of the cost.

The price of the car itself.

The cost of fuel in the capital.

The cost to drive it in the London..ULEZ etcetc.

Insurance...parking on the street in certain areas, if you are under 25. (Yeah, good luck with that)

And the parking issues. A lot of homes dont have garages or driveways. A lot of parking is on the street. Even with residents parking permits, its a pain finding a space.

Try looking at the bigger picture.

over a year ago

"Sorry but I don't see how LTN's cut traffic and reduce air pollution, I would vote for any Mayor next year who promises to get rid of them or some of them as Sadiq Khan has to go"

They do cut traffic and reduce pollution...in the areas they are introduced to.

But not in the areas where the traffic is being displaced to.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

The results mean there’s less pollution in the subject areas since the creation of a ULEZ. That could mean a wide variety of things, which are probably discussed and postulated in the paper itself but the broad point is that from a scientific perspective designating an area as a ULEZ does as a point of fact result in lower local emissions. "

It dose but all trades coming in to London just stick the cost on the job and don't really think about it. If traffic moved more quickly you would create less pollution. So traffic needs to reduce not just fill it up with lots of EV cars. When the Buss is standing still belching out god knows what. Reduce the cost of tubes. And more might use them. Or make them free. Not that I can be bothered with the hassle of working in London any more.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"The problem with ULEZ is that essentially it's a "Pay to Pollute" scheme whereby you *are* allowed to pollute the environment, provided you cough up (pun intended) the cash to do it.

Thus, it disproportionately affects those who can afford it and those who cannot.

Those who can afford it, carry on polluting. Which defeats the purpose of a scheme to bring pollution under control, because it's not equitable.

Those who can afford it, haven't saved the environment one iota, so the scheme is not effective.

If you really wanted to save the environment and treat all with equity, you wouldn't have a two tiered system. You'd have a complete ban, with no loopholes to pay your way around. However, it seems there is no appetite for that. So nothing changes.

"

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

The the TFL website

A

A very naive comment.

Lots of people i work with who still live in London dont have a car because of the cost.

Insurance...parking on the street in certain areas, if you are under 25. (Yeah, good luck with that)

And the parking issues. A lot of homes dont have garages or driveways. A lot of parking is on the street. Even with residents parking permits, its a pain finding a space.

"

For starter I didn't make that comment last night and it was in no way 'punchy'.

Nor was it naive.

I lived in London for nearly a decade in the 90's and guess what - I never owned a car back then either for all the reasons you stated, bar the ULEZ because it didn't exist.

I was responding to the comment that 'not everyone can afford to buy a NEW car'. People don't need to. They can buy a considerably cheaper old car.

All bar one of the issues you mentioned apply to any car owner anywhere in the country. Many people don't have driveways. Fuel costs pretty much the same everywhere. Cars are generally the same price everywhere. Insurance is expensive wherever you live. Clean air zones aren't unique to London either - there's one in Bristol and I can't drive my 12 year old car there anymore without penalty.

I could trade it in for a 16 year old petrol one and drive in the the city though.....

A

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

The the TFL website

A

A very naive comment.

"

I'd argue the bigger picture is the death of Ella Kissi-Debrah emwjo became the first death where the Coroner accepted air pollution as a cause if death.

Or the other 9000+ deaths a year its believed to contribute to. And the millions it costs the NHS.

But the car is king and that's all the matters

over a year ago

South West London

The 4000 deaths from pollution in London a year that Sadiq Khan keeps mentioning is highly misleading. What is to say that those people didn't have a underlying health condition where maybe air was a contributing factor to their deaths and not the main cause.

Also there's only ever been one person who's death was caused by air pollution so these policies seem very drastic too as well to raise revenue as he needs the money

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"The 4000 deaths from pollution in London a year that Sadiq Khan keeps mentioning is highly misleading. What is to say that those people didn't have a underlying health condition where maybe air was a contributing factor to their deaths and not the main cause.

Also there's only ever been one person who's death was caused by air pollution so these policies seem very drastic too as well to raise revenue as he needs the money"

That sounds suspiciously like the argument people used during covid.

"Oh, they were already ill, so it's not the fault of covid they died."

Just as callous too.

A

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The 4000 deaths from pollution in London a year that Sadiq Khan keeps mentioning is highly misleading. What is to say that those people didn't have a underlying health condition where maybe air was a contributing factor to their deaths and not the main cause.

Also there's only ever been one person who's death was caused by air pollution so these policies seem very drastic too as well to raise revenue as he needs the money

That sounds suspiciously like the argument people used during covid.

"Oh, they were already ill, so it's not the fault of covid they died."

Just as callous too.

A"

Agreed. Such arguments are utterly grotesque - and short sighted.

I don't want to be discarded or deemed unworthy if I become vulnerable, either.

By *luffy FairyWoman
over a year ago

west LDN

The money these puppets waste is a crime in itself, they all need hanging publicly. Voting is a guise to make you think you have a Choice, the puppets are selected and told what to do/say etc.

The nature bridge was an eye opener for me. WILD but then we are living in a simulation I just want the aliens to come now

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"The money these puppets waste is a crime in itself, they all need hanging publicly. Voting is a guise to make you think you have a Choice, the puppets are selected and told what to do/say etc.

The nature bridge was an eye opener for me. WILD but then we are living in a simulation I just want the aliens to come now "

¿Qué?

By *avin77Man
over a year ago

camberley

Its a mare. Sticks all traffic on main road and makes side roads less safe for people to walk. Amount of phones nicked and muggings etc has risen massively

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Also there's only ever been one person who's death was caused by air pollution so these policies seem very drastic too as well to raise revenue as he needs the money"

If she'd been your daughter what would your opinion be? Would it still be just the one death?

Dies the fact that that air pollution in London is dangerously high not worry you at all as long as you can drive your car where you want and when you want?

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"Its a mare. Sticks all traffic on main road and makes side roads less safe for people to walk. Amount of phones nicked and muggings etc has risen massively"

Do you have a link that LTNs have seen crimes inverse?

I'm aware there's issues on 2 of the cycle routes with targeted bike jacking but beyond that?

over a year ago

South West London

If she'd been your daughter what would your opinion be? Would it still be just the one death?

Dies the fact that that air pollution in London is dangerously high not worry you at all as long as you can drive your car where you want and when you want?"

Cars are far less polluted then they were years ago and also there's other things that cause pollution too that need stopping

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Dies the fact that that air pollution in London is dangerously high not worry you at all as long as you can drive your car where you want and when you want? Cars are far less polluted then they were years ago and also there's other things that cause pollution too that need stopping"

But there's also far more cars now.

And arguably they are a leading cause of London's air pollution. Just look what happened to the air quality during lockdown?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Dies the fact that that air pollution in London is dangerously high not worry you at all as long as you can drive your car where you want and when you want? Cars are far less polluted then they were years ago and also there's other things that cause pollution too that need stopping"

So because other bad things happen, we shouldn't work on air pollution from cars?

Your Honour, yes I did steal from the OP, but murderers exist. I cannot be convicted. Other crimes happen. I rest my case

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Having clean air zones is akin to the old no smoking area's in pub's and restaurants.

A waste of time.

Charge's won't effect the wealthy Chelsea tractor driver's.

As a tradesman the restrictions are a total ball ache but then working and parking in London has always been an utter nightmare.

It's strange that everyone moans about congestion and charges, alternative bikes.

Then everyone moans about bikes.

Huge buses churning out tons of pollution while only having two or three passengers!!!

over a year ago

South West London

I vote for any Mayor next year (except for Khan) who promises to get rid or scale back most LTNs on the road and reduce the ULEZ zone to central London

over a year ago

South West London

I be voting for Howard Cox who promises to get rid of LTNs and reduce ULEZ to central London only

By *osey WalesMan
over a year ago

Surrey

"Exactly, Congestion Charge, ULEZ and LTN's are just schemes to extract more money from people instead of schemes to "cut pollution""

Exactly this. And they need all the scams, i mean schemes, to refill the coffers after covid. ULEZ is being moved to my door step in Surrey by the Mayor of London. I drive a non compliant van, so already pay ULez and CC if in london. I cant afford a compliant vehicle and my customers wont pay to cover it so basically he is making me unemployed. Scrappage scheme will give me £5k for my vehicle that is pricless to me. Show me where i can replace it for £5k and potentially charge it with a 140m lead as i live in a block of flats.

Absolute farce.

Rant over.

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Expect the ULEZ, congestion charge, or what ever they will be called zones, to be expanded to anywhere within the M25. There was a government paper released about 20 years ago or so, stating this is the governments idea.

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

"I be voting for Howard Cox who promises to get rid of LTNs and reduce ULEZ to central London only"

What are his other policies for London?

Post new Message to Thread