Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The problem with New cars.....

Jump to newest

By *iss.dd OP   Woman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

None of them come with indicators any more!

I know BMWs aren't sold with indicators but they must REALLY have hiked up the cost of these optional extras on all brands now 'cos no one has them.

Seems like they are giving fog lights away for free though....

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ornycougaWoman
over a year ago

Wherever I lay my hat

Say what now? Are you supposed to stick your arm out the window when making a manoeuvre?

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

See, the problem is all the other things a new car does for you. It turns its own headlights on and off. Switches on its own wipers. All that nonsense. Drivers forget they have to do a few things themselves …

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Front fog lights are one of my bugbears!

By *iss.dd OP   Woman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

"See, the problem is all the other things a new car does for you. It turns its own headlights on and off. Switches on its own wipers. All that nonsense. Drivers forget they have to do a few things themselves …"

This is my exact rant I have.

I also don't like being told to change gears either

By *iman2100Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

This is quite undestandable because a recent study found BMW drivers are amongst those with the lowest IQs. Perhaps they struggle with the mechanisation? Top of the heap are Skoda drivers.

re. https://www.scrapcarcomparison.co.uk/blog/smartest-drivers/

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I also don't like being told to change gears either "

After all, what is wrong with staying in 1st gear when you are doing 50mph?

By *iman2100Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Say what now? Are you supposed to stick your arm out the window when making a manoeuvre? "

Do Gen Z drivers even know how to do that?

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Judging by the amount of cars in the middle lane of the motorways most days, seems they don’t have fucking steering wheels either

By *irtyKittenCouple
over a year ago

Southampton

"See, the problem is all the other things a new car does for you. It turns its own headlights on and off. Switches on its own wipers. All that nonsense. Drivers forget they have to do a few things themselves …

This is my exact rant I have.

I also don't like being told to change gears either "

I know right, when you not in the mood to play with a knob, they keep asking

over a year ago

"None of them come with indicators any more!

I know BMWs aren't sold with indicators but they must REALLY have hiked up the cost of these optional extras on all brands now 'cos no one has them.

"

Daytine running lights thats the new indicator apparently

over a year ago

Firstly, nice tongue in cheek sarcasm, took me two reads to get it!

Secondly, you know what REALLY grinds my gears about new cars nowadays?

The POINTLESS gizmofication and digitalisation of the entire car.

I hate the entirely digital dials and single solid display panel block on the front console/dashboard. I hate most in-car infotainment systems which are usually horribly designed to take as many steps as possible for one to navigate to whatever they wish to navigate to. I hate how steering wheels are so stuffed with lots of buttons on them now for some weirdly specific setting or function that I'd barely use till they start looking more like F1 steering wheels. I hate how more and more cars are using flappy pedal gearshifts as opposed to even semi or fully automatic stick shifts.

Driving a car nowadays leaves me feeling more like a fighter jet pilot than a driver. Gone are the days when you could get into a car, sit in the driver's seat for less than a minute, and you have the entire car figured out with all its functions and settings and ready to go.

By *ugardilfMan
over a year ago

Chester

Pulling away from traffic lights is now 10x longer, whilst every car is checking their all important social media and messages, before realising the traffic in front has pulled away.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Lost character even the sporty ones are souless. Give me a classic and understated Aston Martin from around 10 years ago.

By *ormalfornorfolkMan
over a year ago

Norwich

Daytine running lights thats the new indicator apparently"

Yeah, love those. Means pedestrians can’t see the front indicators anyway, even if by some miracle they were being used.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"See, the problem is all the other things a new car does for you. It turns its own headlights on and off. Switches on its own wipers. All that nonsense. Drivers forget they have to do a few things themselves …"

I don’t like it. Mine doesn’t have a key for the ignition, drives me mad. I’m always losing the keys somewhere in the car.

By *ugardilfMan
over a year ago

Chester

"Firstly, nice tongue in cheek sarcasm, took me two reads to get it!

I hate the entirely digital dials and single solid display panel block on the front console/dashboard. I hate most in-car infotainment systems which are usually horribly designed to take as many steps as possible for one to navigate to whatever they wish to navigate to. I hate how steering wheels are so stuffed with lots of buttons on them now for some weirdly specific setting or function that I'd barely use till they start looking more like F1 steering wheels. I hate how more and more cars are using flappy pedal gearshifts as opposed to even semi or fully automatic stick shifts.

Driving a car nowadays leaves me feeling more like a fighter jet pilot than a driver. Gone are the days when you could get into a car, sit in the driver's seat for less than a minute, and you have the entire car figured out with all its functions and settings and ready to go. "

I agree in some respects, my car is bristling with tech you never knew you needed, I mean really seemingly pointless stuff.

However…

A few weeks ago 3 kids about aged 12 ran in front of me from behind a bus, the car hit the brakes and stood on its nose, to avoid flattening them, before my foot got to the pedal.

There are 3 lots of parents out there who have no idea how much gratitude the should have towards Land Rover!

By *ormalfornorfolkMan
over a year ago

Norwich

Driving a car nowadays leaves me feeling more like a fighter jet pilot than a driver. Gone are the days when you could get into a car, sit in the driver's seat for less than a minute, and you have the entire car figured out with all its functions and settings and ready to go.

I agree in some respects, my car is bristling with tech you never knew you needed, I mean really seemingly pointless stuff.

However…

A few weeks ago 3 kids about aged 12 ran in front of me from behind a bus, the car hit the brakes and stood on its nose, to avoid flattening them, before my foot got to the pedal.

There are 3 lots of parents out there who have no idea how much gratitude the should have towards Land Rover!"

Some good stuff too then amongst the frippery.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Say what now? Are you supposed to stick your arm out the window when making a manoeuvre? "
no a little orange indication piece of plastic pops out from side of car

By *iman2100Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Say what now? Are you supposed to stick your arm out the window when making a manoeuvre? no a little orange indication piece of plastic pops out from side of car "

Ah, I regret the passing of the semaphore indicator.

By *wcdfor2TV/TS
over a year ago

SKELMERSDALE

I know by which indicator is flashing the intended direction that the driver wants to go.

These modern ones that act as a strobing pointer only looked good on K.I.T.T.

Why do they now have lights right across the bonnet and boot.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

However…

There are 3 lots of parents out there who have no idea how much gratitude the should have towards Land Rover!"

A Land Rover ?

It's a miracle it didn't break down long before you hit them........

A

By *inks_apeyCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

"

I have a bmw, and I'll be honest it's more annoying NOT to use indicator nowadays than not. Plus I use the Pro Pilot a lot and it's the only way it will change lanes or take exits so use them all the time.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Many just cheaply made and characterless. Hollow cheap plastic everywhere, cutting down on everything from a spare wheel to cup holder covers, under seat compartments, 2 way electric boot open/close and so on and so on. Not to mention MMI technology that is great when working but a nightmare if there is an issue and many wanting subscription to services after the first couple of years or so. All in the name apparently of being environmentally friendly whilst prices get higher and higher. And then you have an equivalent electric car that you need to remortgage your house to go near one instead of making them more affordable for people, not to mention easier to charge etc. Anyone has got a donkey?

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Say what now? Are you supposed to stick your arm out the window when making a manoeuvre? no a little orange indication piece of plastic pops out from side of car

Ah, I regret the passing of the semaphore indicator. "

lol yes neatly hidden in the body work so couldn't be snapped off

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

I have a bmw, and I'll be honest it's more annoying NOT to use indicator nowadays than not. Plus I use the Pro Pilot a lot and it's the only way it will change lanes or take exits so use them all the time.

"

You can turn it off through the menu and still use a lot of the other options

over a year ago

Glasgow

"You can turn it off through the menu and still use a lot of the other options "

Same goes for fuck buddies but I still haven’t found the settings menu for you. I’m used to Apple Macs …

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

"You can turn it off through the menu and still use a lot of the other options

Same goes for fuck buddies but I still haven’t found the settings menu for you. I’m used to Apple Macs … "

Just need to delve deeper into the settings and I'm sure you'll find the correct one soon

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

Probably, without realising it, you have just explained the reason.

Ask 'Which arm do (did) you stick out of which window to signal?' and 'Which arm would a Frenchman or a German have used to make a hand signal?'

Then ask 'Which arm do you change gear with and, if you were French or German, which arm would you use to fiddle around with the windscreen wipers when you are not too busy with other driving controls?' Then 'Which hand should be easier to flick the indicator stalk with while still holding the wheel firmly wile simultaneously using the gear lever?'

With a little bit of thought, anyone should be able to work out that virtually every car sold in Britain now, other than proper right hand drive Japanese grey imports, have steering columns built to be convenient for other markets rather than ours.

Is it any wonder that indicator use has become 'optional' for German cars in Britain?

Apart from a Montego and a Volkswagen, every car I have ever owned since I started in the 1960s until and including now had/has the indicators on the right where they should be. Sod Fords. Sod Vauxhalls. They were the traitors who paved the way for the dozy British motoring public getting fobbed off with a manufacturing shortcut.

In order to carry on indicating with the right hand, I now have to drive grey imports. The added bonus is that because Japanese young people live at home with their parents, said imports are also designed for shagging in.

I don't expect many people to to understand my view point as they will either be too young to have ever used indicators on the correct side of the column or are complacent about having been manipulated by the European/ American motor industry.

The evidence is incontrovertible. You've all been duped. Next time someone doesn't indicate or bother dipping, you will know why!

In my book, this was the only valid reason for voting 'Leave' but what difference has it made? None!

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

"This is quite undestandable because a recent study found BMW drivers are amongst those with the lowest IQs. Perhaps they struggle with the mechanisation? Top of the heap are Skoda drivers.

re. https://www.scrapcarcomparison.co.uk/blog/smartest-drivers/

"

Clearly I’m getting dumber as I went from Peugeot, merc to BMW

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

The only time I’ve ever used lights on a car is turning them off after an MOT, they always forget to put it back in auto mode

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"See, the problem is all the other things a new car does for you. It turns its own headlights on and off. Switches on its own wipers. All that nonsense. Drivers forget they have to do a few things themselves …

I don’t like it. Mine doesn’t have a key for the ignition, drives me mad. I’m always losing the keys somewhere in the car. "

See, I love my keyless entry. I stick the card thingy in my wheelchair fanny and that means as soon as I'm next to the car, I can open it, and with the wheelchair in the boot, I can drive the car without faffing finding keys. The keycard rarely comes out of my wheelchair fanny now

over a year ago

Glasgow

"Just need to delve deeper into the settings and I'm sure you'll find the correct one soon "

Not the first time you’ve said “Deeper, go deeper …”

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

As others have said about. To do some things . Lot of menu’s on new cars to choose from. My car user manual is 670 pages including index. There is a separate manual for the navigation system. This is 134 pages including index. Yesterday had notification on navigation screen to say maps need updating. So spent last night looking in both manuals how to do

over a year ago

over a year ago

Car designers need to get better at designing indicators.

Current cars seem to have them hidden in some shit position or too small to see in sunlight.

They may be indicating but we just can't see it.

over a year ago

Don't worry folks, I'm replacing my 3 year old hilux with a new one in March.

If you break down up in Scotland I will happily tow you home.

Unless of course you are driving an all electric vehicle, if that's the case then you deal with it yourself as punishment for your own stupidity.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

They're over-designed, over-engineered, needlessly complex and less exciting.

Give me a good manual gearbox, internal combustion engine that makes an authentic (not simulated Vroom!) exhaust note any day.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Its to get more people on the bus!

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

Lol the thing I have noticed over the last few years is how small indicators are on some cars, on several occasions I have thought wtf is that car stopped in the middle of the road for and it is only after I have stopped that I see a tiny little light blinking especially on sunny days.

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Electronic parking brakes are expensive to fix if they go wrong so call me old fashioned but I'll stick with the manual cable operated one.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"Electronic parking brakes are expensive to fix if they go wrong so call me old fashioned but I'll stick with the manual cable operated one."

If the authorities had any sense of safety, they should insist that every car has a mechanical lever hand brake located that anyone in the car has a chance of reaching in an emergency.

If a driver becomes incapacitated, any passenger should have some facility to bring the car to a halt (and if they are able, grab the steering wheel as well.

One of my vehicles has the most god awful foot operated parking brake. Press down to operate, press again to release. Pedal is much higher than the others. Absolutely stupid idea as it is not possible to use it as an extra aid when doing parking manoeuvres on very steep slopes. Who thinks up these 'improvements'?

By *elsh_naturist_coupleCouple
over a year ago

Newport

What it actually shows is skoda drivers are just very boring people and have to much time on there hands thinking!

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Electronic parking brakes are expensive to fix if they go wrong so call me old fashioned but I'll stick with the manual cable operated one.

If the authorities had any sense of safety, they should insist that every car has a mechanical lever hand brake located that anyone in the car has a chance of reaching in an emergency.

If a driver becomes incapacitated, any passenger should have some facility to bring the car to a halt (and if they are able, grab the steering wheel as well.

One of my vehicles has the most god awful foot operated parking brake. Press down to operate, press again to release. Pedal is much higher than the others. Absolutely stupid idea as it is not possible to use it as an extra aid when doing parking manoeuvres on very steep slopes. Who thinks up these 'improvements'?"

Mercedes?

threw me the first time i drove one with a foot pedal on the left to apply the 'handbrake' and a pully out thing on the other side to take it off

By *elsh_naturist_coupleCouple
over a year ago

Newport

I resemble that fact!

I've had a BMW For 12months now and it's hard work learning to drive like a know!

I was actually talking with a couple of friends about what we precieve as the standard of driving massively decreasing! We all do a reasonable amount of mile I do 25k a year my other mate does about 40k so we see a lot all of us agree people just aren't thinking, looking, reading the roads and conditions. This is back up by another friend who works in a big body shop. Pre covid they would get 2 to 3 cars a day maybe even every other day. Now post covid 10 cars a day is the norm!

I'm sure this trend follows the trend in people losing commonsense and becoming a nanny state. People just don't except the own actions have consequences. Or if the car gets damaged or well I got insurance or I will get another one.

Another thing driving test are getting harder but driving standards get worse? Is it cause the lack the practicality to drive grrrrrrr frustrating times!

Rant over lol

over a year ago

The auto settings can easily be switched off.

Auto lights are a great invention, there is no downside to having it on a car at all.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

Auto lights are a great invention, there is no downside to having it on a car at all."

They must be few and far between, judging by the number of unlit very modern cars I see every dark evening.

Also why do so many modern cars still have only one brake/tail/ side/ headlamp working? I had a late 1980s Honda that had a dashboard display indicating blown bulbs. Some things must have gone backwards in priority since then. Fat lot of use programmes like 'Top Gear' have ever been for highlighting everyday motoring issues. They should have been in the forefront of asking "What the hell is going on?".

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

"I resemble that fact!

I've had a BMW For 12months now and it's hard work learning to drive like a know!

I was actually talking with a couple of friends about what we precieve as the standard of driving massively decreasing! We all do a reasonable amount of mile I do 25k a year my other mate does about 40k so we see a lot all of us agree people just aren't thinking, looking, reading the roads and conditions. This is back up by another friend who works in a big body shop. Pre covid they would get 2 to 3 cars a day maybe even every other day. Now post covid 10 cars a day is the norm!

I'm sure this trend follows the trend in people losing commonsense and becoming a nanny state. People just don't except the own actions have consequences. Or if the car gets damaged or well I got insurance or I will get another one.

Another thing driving test are getting harder but driving standards get worse? Is it cause the lack the practicality to drive grrrrrrr frustrating times!

Rant over lol"

Where I live . The road is used by a lot of driving instructors. As some driving tests are done there. This due to very little traffic in working hours.

My main thing is about standards now. My house is semi detached . So between my house and the next semi , have a dropped kerb. My neighbour in semi attached to mine , leaves their car out on road. The number of times , instructors allow pupils to reverse back around neighbours car and block my drive is ridiculess. I have actually had arguments with instructors about this. As pupil will have ‘points’ deducted for doing.

The reason I know is a pupil blocked my drive while I was trying to get out a couple weeks ago. . I was going to hospital to pick up someone. Instructor said he was going to tell pupil that should not do on test. Saw same pupil doing test and yes did same thing. So must have got marked down. Saw examiner writing on clipboard. This may be minor . Yet the amount of instructors who do this seems that it is ok. ?

over a year ago

I saw a video this morning showing that to replace the steering rack on a Tesla Moldel S, the battery pack has to be removed. That's basically the whole underfloor of the car that has to be dropped just to change a steering rack.

Talk about a poor design

over a year ago

I see a lot of new cars wedged up the side of roads awaiting rac

I shall never have new car troubles, Ive just stopped having to ch@ke mine on cold mornings

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Hopefully before it comes to buying a brand new car i will have given up driving, can't think of anything worse than being able to afford to buy brand new and waste all that hard earned money

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

Love riding motorbikes especially the ones that have very few riding aides. Two stroke motorbikes from the 80’s and I’m a happy bunny.

But when it comes to cars, you make it, I’ll take it. Wipers auto, yes please, automatic that’ll do nicely, adaptive cruise control with lane assist, very nice extra £1000 go on then

I hate driving if the car will do the majority that’s alright with me.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I saw a video this morning showing that to replace the steering rack on a Tesla Moldel S, the battery pack has to be removed. That's basically the whole underfloor of the car that has to be dropped just to change a steering rack.

Talk about a poor design"

I've yet to need a steering rack replaced on any car. If Teslas need that sort of work done on them while still so young, then that's not a good advert for them.

Guess the implication is also that the whole underfloor of the car that has to be dropped just to change the battery pack.

It rather depends on how difficult or easy it is to drop 'the whole underfloor of the car'. Probably more dirty than difficult.

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Skoda drivers are sensible and make wise choices and no idea what that guy has against us.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"Skoda drivers are sensible and make wise choices and no idea what that guy has against us."

Interesting that for a long time Skodas were the mainstay of the privately owned minicab fleet but now they have been usurped almost totally by the Prius.

People who drive their own cars which they need to rely on for a living are worth having their choice noted.

over a year ago

"I saw a video this morning showing that to replace the steering rack on a Tesla Moldel S, the battery pack has to be removed. That's basically the whole underfloor of the car that has to be dropped just to change a steering rack.

Talk about a poor design

I've yet to need a steering rack replaced on any car. If Teslas need that sort of work done on them while still so young, then that's not a good advert for them.

Guess the implication is also that the whole underfloor of the car that has to be dropped just to change the battery pack.

It rather depends on how difficult or easy it is to drop 'the whole underfloor of the car'. Probably more dirty than difficult."

I compltely agree. I've never NEEDED to replace the steering rack on any of my cars, though I am replacing the one on my Yank, but only as an upgrade

By *aria_dreamgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

stockport

Skoda cars are reliable and are a progressive part of the VAG group.

By *inks_apeyCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

You can turn it off through the menu and still use a lot of the other options

"

Not most of the self drive stuff though

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

The effort is diverted to standing on the brake pedal, not using the handbrake m, instead of indicating. Dazzling and blinding others is about their limit to lights use

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

Headlights that blind you

over a year ago

Problem is trying to get freaky in the back seat and it keeps on bonging to tell you to put your seat belt on

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

first 20 mins when I picked up my new car was working out how to turn most of those stupid things off.....

I hate not putting my key in the ignition though... I'm always losing where the key is in the car.

Post new Message to Thread