Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

15 min cities

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

If anyone is interested in the reality not the conspiracy, have a look at The Line.

170km long, 200 meters wide , no cars, carbon neutral solar powered city in the desert that will support 9 million people.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

On Apple TV + right ?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Interesting.

I looked at what my council are doing and guess what? They are answering clear messages and FOI requests on the subject matter with questions back without answering any of the very easy to understand questions.

Why am I getting a bit more concerned each day?

So far not one person I have spoken to had heard of 15 min cities.... Is that not a bit worrying in itself as it is happening already?

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Interesting.

I looked at what my council are doing and guess what? They are answering clear messages and FOI requests on the subject matter with questions back without answering any of the very easy to understand questions.

So far not one person I have spoken to had heard of 15 min cities.... Is that not a bit worrying in itself as it is happening already? "

Are you referring to Oxford? If so I'm not sure why there's any issue for concern? A quick Google led me to tons of information and several press articles summarisingvthe plans as this.

"What is Oxford City 15 minute neighbourhoods?

In its Local Plan 2040, Oxford City Council proposed installing 15-minute neighbourhoods throughout the city over the next 20 years. These plans don't include restricting people to their local areas, but instead focus on improving infrastructure and increasing mobility within neighbourhoods."

So no restrictions and improved infrastructure. What's bad about that?

A

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Interesting.

So far not one person I have spoken to had heard of 15 min cities.... Is that not a bit worrying in itself as it is happening already?

Are you referring to Oxford? If so I'm not sure why there's any issue for concern? A quick Google led me to tons of information and several press articles summarisingvthe plans as this.

In its Local Plan 2040, Oxford City Council proposed installing 15-minute neighbourhoods throughout the city over the next 20 years. These plans don't include restricting people to their local areas, but instead focus on improving infrastructure and increasing mobility within neighbourhoods."

A"

Not Oxford but my own area - I am not saying whether the whole idea is a good or bad or inbetween idea - I am just really puzzled by the lack of publicity when there will be decisions made that affect us all. Does that make sense?

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Interesting.

A

Not Oxford but my own area - I am not saying whether the whole idea is a good or bad or inbetween idea - I am just really puzzled by the lack of publicity when there will be decisions made that affect us all. Does that make sense? "

It does, but without knowing which area its hard to say about levels of 'consultation'.

I know Bristol has been mentioned too in the press, but given the Oxford concept has masses of info dating back to 2021 and states there was public consultation with a wide variety of groups and that it's a plan designed to be facilitated over the next 20 years with an aspiration of much of it being implemented by 2040 (17 whole years away!) - and that seems to be the most advanced concept in the UK......I doubt anywhere is going to implement any drastic changes anytime soon.

As always the media seem to have started panic mode with plenty of talk of travel restrictions when in fact it's planned road changes (more bus routes etc and keeping cars out of City centres) making out people won't be allowed to move around their own city. Add in the usual nut job conspiracy theorists and people are claiming all kinds of things that aren't in any concept proposals.

A

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 24/02/23 19:28:13]

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Interesting.

A

Not Oxford but my own area - I am not saying whether the whole idea is a good or bad or inbetween idea - I am just really puzzled by the lack of publicity when there will be decisions made that affect us all. Does that make sense?

It does, but without knowing which area its hard to say about levels of 'consultation'.

I know Bristol has been mentioned too in the press, but given the Oxford concept has masses of info dating back to 2021 and states there was public consultation with a wide variety of groups and that it's a plan designed to be facilitated over the next 20 years with an aspiration of much of it being implemented by 2040 (17 whole years away!) - and that seems to be the most advanced concept in the UK......I doubt anywhere is going to implement any drastic changes anytime soon.

As always the media seem to have started panic mode with plenty of talk of travel restrictions when in fact it's planned road changes (more bus routes etc and keeping cars out of City centres) making out people won't be allowed to move around their own city. Add in the usual nut job conspiracy theorists and people are claiming all kinds of things that aren't in any concept proposals.

A"

Not sure if you saw the other thread where people from the Oxford area confirmed that there would be future restrictions including penalties for driving from one zone to another.

At the moment I withhold judgment on where it is something I would support - I am more concerned about being given the opportunity of supporting it. So far indications are that this is not exactly promoted/ explained to the public and apparently in Oxford (see other thread) people have not been consulted at all.

I do not believe everybody who raises this and wonders about when we will be informed, myself included, is a 'usual nut job conspiracy theorist' - I think that term in the context is not really helpful as it alienates sensible people who happen to challenge it. Just my thoughts.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Interesting.

A

A

Not sure if you saw the other thread where people from the Oxford area confirmed that there would be future restrictions including penalties for driving from one zone to another.

At the moment I withhold judgment on where it is something I would support - I am more concerned about being given the opportunity of supporting it. So far indications are that this is not exactly promoted/ explained to the public and apparently in Oxford (see other thread) people have not been consulted at all.

I do not believe everybody who raises this and wonders about when we will be informed, myself included, is a 'usual nut job conspiracy theorist' - I think that term in the context is not really helpful as it alienates sensible people who happen to challenge it. Just my thoughts."

There's lots of info on the travel restrictions here.

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/roads-and-transport/connecting-oxfordshire/traffic-filters

Residents can apply for permits that allow travel 100 times a year - I'd suspect probably more times than most actually use those routes in the main already.

It also states it'll be operated on a 6 month trial basis and that the consulations prior to implementation took place with local businesses, groups and individuals and that the public were invited to be involved. It's not due to start until 2024 when upgrades to public transport routes and networks have happened.

Now I don't live in Oxford but it took me mere minutes to find out all that info. So if other areas are planning similar I can't see how it would be difficult to find information or get involved in consultations.

I used the phrase 'conspiracy theorists' because I also found many links to YouTube videos and blogs claiming things are happening that aren't mentioned anywhere in official documents and that state residents will be banned from travel and restricted to their own neighbourhoods - which quite frankly if anyone believes that then they deserve the label.

A

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

I'll stick to the open countryside thank you. I couldn't think of anything worse.

By *ucks Couple UKCouple
over a year ago

Bucks

"Interesting.

A"

I was at a meeting about this the other day. They are trialling driverless buses at the moment. The plan is that the locals have an app and can book the bus when they need it. That way the bus won’t go to areas when it’s not needed but will go more often when it is.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"Interesting.

A

A

I do not believe everybody who raises this and wonders about when we will be informed, myself included, is a 'usual nut job conspiracy theorist' - I think that term in the context is not really helpful as it alienates sensible people who happen to challenge it. Just my thoughts.

There's lots of info on the travel restrictions here.

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/roads-and-transport/connecting-oxfordshire/traffic-filters

Residents can apply for permits that allow travel 100 times a year - I'd suspect probably more times than most actually use those routes in the main already.

It also states it'll be operated on a 6 month trial basis and that the consulations prior to implementation took place with local businesses, groups and individuals and that the public were invited to be involved. It's not due to start until 2024 when upgrades to public transport routes and networks have happened.

Now I don't live in Oxford but it took me mere minutes to find out all that info. So if other areas are planning similar I can't see how it would be difficult to find information or get involved in consultations.

I used the phrase 'conspiracy theorists' because I also found many links to YouTube videos and blogs claiming things are happening that aren't mentioned anywhere in official documents and that state residents will be banned from travel and restricted to their own neighbourhoods - which quite frankly if anyone believes that then they deserve the label.

A

"

Yes, granted - Oxford is easy to get information on - as they are the first to my knowledge who are doing it with the aim to have it running by 2040.

For my area (and a couple of others where I know it is being discussed from people who live there) I had to dig and search.

Asking sensible, intelligent questions, challenging actions does not make somebody a conspiracist. I have always, irrespective of this specific issue found that binary thinking, believing there are only two positions of either right or wrong, depending on where you stand is still unhelpful. Brexit, the vaccine debates, the issue around Shamima Begum have shown this.

They just cause further division, waste precious resources and lead to animosity in neighbourhoods and families. Again just my thought.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

Yes, granted - Oxford is easy to get information on - as they are the first to my knowledge who are doing it with the aim to have it running by 2040.

For my area (and a couple of others where I know it is being discussed from people who live there) I had to dig and search.

Asking sensible, intelligent questions, challenging actions does not make somebody a conspiracist. I have always, irrespective of this specific issue found that binary thinking, believing there are only two positions of either right or wrong, depending on where you stand is still unhelpful. Brexit, the vaccine debates, the issue around Shamima Begum have shown this.

They just cause further division, waste precious resources and lead to animosity in neighbourhoods and families. Again just my thought. "

Again. I'm not accusing those seeking info or dialogue of being conspiracy nuts.

But if someone believes that in 2024 residents of Oxford, or anywhere else in the UK will have travel bans imposed on them restricting them to within 15 minutes of their home address, which is what is being claimed by some circulating YouTube videos on social media, then yes - I'm more than happy to apply that label to them.

It's OK to ask questions and seek info.

It's not to share wild scare stories that aren't true and that can have negative impacts on the vulnerable, the less informed and those with MH issues.

That is both reckless and dangerous.

A

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"

A

They just cause further division, waste precious resources and lead to animosity in neighbourhoods and families. Again just my thought.

Again. I'm not accusing those seeking info or dialogue of being conspiracy nuts.

But if someone believes that in 2024 residents of Oxford, or anywhere else in the UK will have travel bans imposed on them restricting them to within 15 minutes of their home address, which is what is being claimed by some circulating YouTube videos on social media, then yes - I'm more than happy to apply that label to them.

It's OK to ask questions and seek info.

It's not to share wild scare stories that aren't true and that can have negative impacts on the vulnerable, the less informed and those with MH issues.

That is both reckless and dangerous.

A "

By *antra MassageMan
over a year ago

Wicklow

I live in rural bliss.. (isolation).. It wont apply to me.

Post new Message to Thread