Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Music

Jump to newest

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Not wanting to descend into a nostalgic music thread.

But listening to a few various stations over the past few weeks on my travels what is becoming very clear that the music of this current decade is absolutely shit.

We have 60's,70's 80's,90's and 00's stations all of which have a plethora of musical diversity to choose from.

Even ten years ago music was far more diverse.

But honestly today it's utter crap.

I can't see kid's in 30years looking at this current decade as one of musical excellence.

My 15 year old grandson was listening to Foo fighters I asked him who he likes.

He said it's all older stuff as most of the stuff his mate's listen to is just noise.

Anyone care to educate me to current bands that I may be missing out on?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Of course it sounds like shit to you, it’s aimed at kids

There’s always been good music and there’s always been shit music. I love it when people bang on about how music was better back in the day, forgetting that We All Live In A Yellow Submarine exists

over a year ago

I agree, was listening to Radio one and decided that modern music is more about creating a repetitive earworm reliant on getting stuck in your head over actual talent.

I appreciate and love all music and genres, but not this detritus that is being pumped out nowadays....

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

What type(s) of music do you typically enjoy?

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I agree, was listening to Radio one and decided that modern music is more about creating a repetitive earworm reliant on getting stuck in your head over actual talent.

I appreciate and love all music and genres, but not this detritus that is being pumped out nowadays....

"

I think the thing is radio 1 for example love it or hate it for as long as I can remember used to play a mixed variety of music genre's, rock, pop,hip hop,dance, EDM and so on..

Their decision to aim it solely for kid's has meant that there's no diversity.

But trying to find a station that plays current music is really difficult other than crapitol.

Global corporation taken over.

Station after station playing the same half dozen song's over and over.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Anything past the mid 90’s is shite, but then I can tend to be a bit of a music snob.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"What type(s) of music do you typically enjoy? "

I was and still am a huge fan of electronic music.

In the early 80's electo.

But like most people we have a diverse choice.

I enjoy anything from soulwax to Rammstein, drum and bass, EDM, Foo fighters and the Specials.

But mainly chemical Brothers.

My point is that I don't think that the variety that used to be available available is there anymore.

By *ulieAndBeefCouple
over a year ago

Manchester-ish

I agree there's not as much variety but there is still some amazing music around. It tends to get played on stations like 6 Music as opposed to Radio 1 and 2. Some recent stuff I've loved...

The Beths

The Lovely Eggs - You Can Go Now

Dry Cleaning - my favourite is called Gary Ashby - it's about a pet tortoise who goes missing.

St Vincent - My Baby Wants A Baby is just sublime. It's based on Morning Train by Sheena Easton

J

over a year ago

"What type(s) of music do you typically enjoy?

I was and still am a huge fan of electronic music.

In the early 80's electo.

But like most people we have a diverse choice.

I enjoy anything from soulwax to Rammstein, drum and bass, EDM, Foo fighters and the Specials.

But mainly chemical Brothers.

My point is that I don't think that the variety that used to be available available is there anymore."

Due to your view which I agree with, I have joined Apple Music app and choose my own play lists.

these days I find it hard to get music as downloading is naughty now so I just joined a music app.

over a year ago

Alot of modern music is actually 80s rhythms and arrangements, but it's speed up.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I think you need to look to different genres of music rather than the chart stuff that is played on radio.

I quite like Folk music and there are plenty of new singers and bands coming through that are good to listen to. They won’t be number 1 as they’re not in trend, but still make good listening.

Also like distinct voices like Lady Blackbird. There are gems out there, just hidden.

over a year ago

Not in my day...

over a year ago

Music these days is the following

Ed Sheeran

Taylor swift

Copycats of Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift

Slow beat with some guy going 'UH, and she likes to be naughty, but we can't get caughty'

There ya go

over a year ago

First Aid Kit

They have been going a while but I would still say they are current

Better live than recorded

The sign of great musicians?

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"First Aid Kit

They have been going a while but I would still say they are current

Better live than recorded

The sign of great musicians?"

I like them

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

For pop/indie I like the cheesy 90's & 00's

Country is what I listen to the most and love all of it from old classics to the newer stuff.

Can't stand the new pop/charts though.

Mrs

By *ose-tinted GlassesMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Music is more fragmented than it used to be. The Internet means kids can choose between the latest local act and the biggest hits of the past on an equal footing. The charts mean very little nowadays. And clubs play a wider mix of eras than they used to - curating a vibe instead of sticking to a genre.

There is still great new stuff around. It just takes effort to find. You rarely hear it on the radio like you used to.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Music is more fragmented than it used to be. The Internet means kids can choose between the latest local act and the biggest hits of the past on an equal footing. The charts mean very little nowadays. And clubs play a wider mix of eras than they used to - curating a vibe instead of sticking to a genre.

There is still great new stuff around. It just takes effort to find. You rarely hear it on the radio like you used to."

I think that's the thing the way people listen to music has changed massively.

Gone are the day's when people got excited for a new album release.

Lucky if people listen to an entire song let alone an album.

To quote a crazy old stoner

"Times they are a changing"

Post new Message to Thread