Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Pidgeons

Jump to newest

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

Does anyone know if your allowed to kill pidgeons, or are pest control? I have about 4 at moment but sure will mutiply again this year. They are ruining my garden, smashing vegetable pooing everywhere esp in one spot on lawn, it is disgusting and have to clwar lawn all time before people come round as full of disease. They are doing same to next doors children play area and making mine and neighbours lifes hell. Any advice would be much appreciated

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Get a cat.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Whether you are allowed or not, killing nature is just wrong.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Some people use decoy birds of prey to repel birds. A few neighbours have hawk kites. They work to a degree.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Does anyone know if your allowed to kill pidgeons, or are pest control? I have about 4 at moment but sure will mutiply again this year. They are ruining my garden, smashing vegetable pooing everywhere esp in one spot on lawn, it is disgusting and have to clwar lawn all time before people come round as full of disease. They are doing same to next doors children play area and making mine and neighbours lifes hell. Any advice would be much appreciated "
You should have seagulls much worse, they're evil

over a year ago

Make a scarecrow

over a year ago

Generally it is illegal as wild birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - certain exceptions, such as licences, and farmers to protect their crops.

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

Id rather not kill them but tried all types of other things and its becoming a real issue esp with young ones coming round in garden. Easy to say dont kill but unless you have to live with it keep ya opion to yourself!!!

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

"Generally it is illegal as wild birds are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 - certain exceptions, such as licences, and farmers to protect their crops."

Do you know if pest control can do it?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Contact a pest control firm and ask

over a year ago

"Id rather not kill them but tried all types of other things and its becoming a real issue esp with young ones coming round in garden. Easy to say dont kill but unless you have to live with it keep ya opion to yourself!!! "

Ask for advice and then tell people to be quiet

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

"Id rather not kill them but tried all types of other things and its becoming a real issue esp with young ones coming round in garden. Easy to say dont kill but unless you have to live with it keep ya opion to yourself!!! "

Move house then

By *WINGStars23Couple
over a year ago

Chorley, & East Lanc's

Get an air horn. Tell your neighbours first.

over a year ago

Hire Dick Dastardly and Mutley.

Disclaimer - Anyone under 50ish won’t have the foggiest what I am on about.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

Get a catapult they soon learn to relocate

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

[Removed by poster at 21/02/23 10:29:33]

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Hire Dick Dastardly and Mutley.

Disclaimer - Anyone under 50ish won’t have the foggiest what I am on about. "

I'd say anyone under 35, 30 at a push is closer. I'm 38 and know exactly.

With that said they were shit at it so no idea why you would want to hire them. That's like calling Will E. Coyote to catch a Roadrunner or Tom to catch Jerry.

Failure in the end every time!

over a year ago

"Hire Dick Dastardly and Mutley.

Disclaimer - Anyone under 50ish won’t have the foggiest what I am on about.

I'd say anyone under 35, 30 at a push is closer. I'm 38 and know exactly.

With that said they were shit at it so no idea why you would want to hire them. That's like calling Will E. Coyote to catch a Roadrunner or Tom to catch Jerry.

Failure in the end every time! "

Thought they might have upped their game by now

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Look up the legalities and then ignore them.

If it's illegal then do it on the sly.

They are vermin and problematic in cities.

I have decoy owls in my garden because the neighbours feed all the fucking birds which I wouldn't worry about except they shit all over the washing and all over the paths and cars....

By *xhibitionisticvoyeurMan
over a year ago

wrexham

Its a bit of a fuzzy area legally at the moment.

It used to be that you could shoot pigeons for pest control.

However recent legislation states you can't interfere with birds while they are nesting.

The problem is pigeons nest and lay all year round.

So, whilst they are legally designated as a pest and you are allowed to shoot them, you're not allowed to shoot them between Jan 1st and Dec 31st...

I'm in construction and was talking to an ecologist recently who was pointing out this issue and saying he knows of entire redevelopment projects that have had to just be left to pigeon colonies whilst this legal farce is sorted out. All the while the guano and dead pigeons (and costs) pile up in these buildings.

Personally I would first try to make the area as unattractive to the pigeons as possible in the hope they just sod off of their own accord.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Pick a spot away from your house and feed them there.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Buy a plastic hawks. Put one on your roof and dot a couple around your garden.

I don't think you're allowed to shoot them as it has to be done humanely.

Block up any nesting sites near your house if you can.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Try one of those kites that looks like a bird of prey.

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

"Its a bit of a fuzzy area legally at the moment.

However recent legislation states you can't interfere with birds while they are nesting.

So, whilst they are legally designated as a pest and you are allowed to shoot them, you're not allowed to shoot them between Jan 1st and Dec 31st...

I'm in construction and was talking to an ecologist recently who was pointing out this issue and saying he knows of entire redevelopment projects that have had to just be left to pigeon colonies whilst this legal farce is sorted out. All the while the guano and dead pigeons (and costs) pile up in these buildings.

Personally I would first try to make the area as unattractive to the pigeons as possible in the hope they just sod off of their own accord.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. "

Yer ive been looking into this and very confusing, you can you cant lots of mixed messages, the poo is driving me mad esp as try to keep garden looking good, spend most of time tidying up after them. Worry about my little nieces and nephews with all there shit about same goes for neighbours. Thanks for info though, ive contacted pest control to see where stand and what can do, everything tried so far does nothing

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yer ive been looking into this and very confusing, you can you cant lots of mixed messages, the poo is driving me mad esp as try to keep garden looking good, spend most of time tidying up after them. Worry about my little nieces and nephews with all there shit about same goes for neighbours. Thanks for info though, ive contacted pest control to see where stand and what can do, everything tried so far does nothing "

I genuinely don't think you need to worry about the poo from four pigeons. I know there's a risk from it but I think it's fairly low.

The problem you will have is unless you can find a long term effective solution the birds you get rid of will be replaced by others.

over a year ago

I used to shoot seagulls off my roof with a water blaster. They learn quite quickly…

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

Yer ive been looking into this and very confusing, you can you cant lots of mixed messages, the poo is driving me mad esp as try to keep garden looking good, spend most of time tidying up after them. Worry about my little nieces and nephews with all there shit about same goes for neighbours. Thanks for info though, ive contacted pest control to see where stand and what can do, everything tried so far does nothing

I genuinely don't think you need to worry about the poo from four pigeons. I know there's a risk from it but I think it's fairly low.

The problem you will have is unless you can find a long term effective solution the birds you get rid of will be replaced by others. "

You've not seen the amount of poo they leave esp in one spot, they poo every time they take off so alot of it. Its not a nice job to constantly be doing, they are full of disease ruin everything in garden from chairs, plants, veg patch. It my garden which i work hard at and they just ruin everything. Everybody along my road has had enougj as spoke to neighbours but worse in mine as where nests are!!!!! Thanks to those that have suggested sensible things much appreciated

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

The problem you will have is unless you can find a long term effective solution the birds you get rid of will be replaced by others.

You've not seen the amount of poo they leave esp in one spot, they poo every time they take off so alot of it. Its not a nice job to constantly be doing, they are full of disease ruin everything in garden from chairs, plants, veg patch. It my garden which i work hard at and they just ruin everything. Everybody along my road has had enougj as spoke to neighbours but worse in mine as where nests are!!!!! Thanks to those that have suggested sensible things much appreciated "

they're a pest so that constitutes culling them when i lived with my dad RIP he had a Turkish neighbour they eat pigeon pie so..........

over a year ago

"

You've not seen the amount of poo they leave esp in one spot, they poo every time they take off so alot of it. Its not a nice job to constantly be doing, they are full of disease ruin everything in garden from chairs, plants, veg patch. It my garden which i work hard at and they just ruin everything. Everybody along my road has had enougj as spoke to neighbours but worse in mine as where nests are!!!!! Thanks to those that have suggested sensible things much appreciated "

Re the poo. Are they on the ground when they do it?

Or on a perch/roost? ie, a tree branch or washing line?

Post new Message to Thread