Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Noisy neighbours.

Jump to newest

By *hatBeardedChap OP   Man
over a year ago

Birmingham

So this has been going on a while now but after a confrontation on new years day...well half one in the morning where after asking them to turn it down I was racially abused and threatened..called the police but they never did show up it died down for the most part they still blasted music but it always cut off around 11

Well tonight it's started up again and still going...phoned police before confronting them only to be told they won't do shit and advised I don't go round there..said only recourse is to get hold of the housing association

So yeah just here peeved off n ranting

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yep, unfortunately that's normal.

Its not a police matter. Its civil.

I had the same problem a few years ago.

But i went on the local council website...logged everything. Even recorded music being played loud at 5am on a Tuesday morning.

The council had them moved out within 3months.

But the tenants were renting, so made it easier.

over a year ago

Actually, sorry....if you were racially abused, then that is potentially a police matter.

over a year ago

Birmingham

"Actually, sorry....if you were racially abused, then that is potentially a police matter."
it was logged but I never followed up with it..I've still got the letter from police I might have to revisit it

I've tried recording it on phone but that's not working & put my first complaint with housing association tonight see how that goes

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

It comes under anti social behaviour and police have a duty and responsibility to be involved as it's a criminal offence

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

you should be able to video it with your phone as most do

over a year ago

"Actually, sorry....if you were racially abused, then that is potentially a police matter. it was logged but I never followed up with it..I've still got the letter from police I might have to revisit it

I've tried recording it on phone but that's not working & put my first complaint with housing association tonight see how that goes "

On the Luton Borough Council site, there is an app which actually allows you to record direct to your report. And it picks up noise volume better than your phone.

I think its only a few years old. It wasnt there when i made my complaints.

But friends have used it.

It depends what your local authority site is like.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Police then also notify council as there responsible for noise in the environment to be minimal

over a year ago

"It comes under anti social behaviour and police have a duty and responsibility to be involved as it's a criminal offence "

Incorrect. If its in their private residence, its noise pollution and a civil matter. Not criminal. The police wont attend.

The racial abuse though is a criminal offence.

over a year ago

"you should be able to video it with your phone as most do "

Absolutely this. Log and record everything...type of noise and the times.

Maybe speak to neighbours, see if its affecting them too.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

its not a police matter its a council matter and to be honest its a waste of time.

you should contact the Environmental Health department of your local authority open at most 24hrs a day

all they want to do is record the event with a diary or video

mediation between you and them

and another to be honest its all a load of B.S

I know what some of us would like to do as it is wrong to do so.

but to be hoenst best to move as if they are forced to move you can still be left with violence and also other things its really not worth it

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

[Removed by poster at 21/02/23 01:20:10]

over a year ago

Birmingham

I'll do my best, but phones not picking it up well not that I can tell but then the music is still playing

Tried taking a recording from living room buuut the grandfather clock pendulum is next to wall I'm trying to record

As for the racial matter its going to be my word against hers and she had 4 friends & I doubt they still have the security cam footage of that confrontation

over a year ago

Birmingham

"you should be able to video it with your phone as most do

Absolutely this. Log and record everything...type of noise and the times.

Maybe speak to neighbours, see if its affecting them too."

unlikely to be affecting them unfortunately its a semi detached property so most the noise is coming directly through wall for me

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"I'll do my best, but phones not picking it up well not that I can tell but then the music is still playing

Tried taking a recording from living room buuut the grandfather clock pendulum is next to wall I'm trying to record "

A warning here if you have one of those clocks and its running

They are annoying if you have them chiming every 15 mins or ringing at every hour.

I dont like them and can hear them rather well at night.

you might like them but there is plenty of us that dont.

I hated the church clock and can assure you theres many a time id loved to get my hands on the workings of that clock.

it wouldnt have chimed after that

over a year ago

Birmingham

"I'll do my best, but phones not picking it up well not that I can tell but then the music is still playing

Tried taking a recording from living room buuut the grandfather clock pendulum is next to wall I'm trying to record

A warning here if you have one of those clocks and its running

They are annoying if you have them chiming every 15 mins or ringing at every hour.

I dont like them and can hear them rather well at night.

you might like them but there is plenty of us that dont.

I hated the church clock and can assure you theres many a time id loved to get my hands on the workings of that clock.

it wouldnt have chimed after that "

haha it chimes every half hour and hour, it's for my Dad (he's blind) so let's him know when it's on the hour or half past the hour..he had one that made bird chirps I quickly got rid of that one was sooo annoying

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"haha it chimes every half hour and hour, it's for my Dad (he's blind) so let's him know when it's on the hour or half past the hour..he had one that made bird chirps I quickly got rid of that one was sooo annoying "

think of it this way

You are the cause of being a noisey neghbour with that clock alone you might not think so

But i strongly believe that you have started it.

a, being screwed up aginst the boundary wall that you have stated

b, the chimes of that clock set every 1/2 hr

you might not like it or agree with what ive just said.

They are really annoying when your trying to get to sleep if you are a light sleeper that clock will wake you.

I cant stand a ticking alarm clock ive smashed that many of them up.

I can hear a ticking grandfather clock rather well and as said those chimes are really annoying even on them sort of clocks.

over a year ago

Birmingham

Not a chance

A) it's not screwed to wall

B) it can just about be heard in kitchen let alone upstairs

C) it has no bass to it to reverberate through walls

So no I'm not the cause of the problem

If that clock was such a problem Frank would of mentioned it long ago..since the same clock has been in same position for 16 years so please take your hatred for clocks out of the discussion

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

"It comes under anti social behaviour and police have a duty and responsibility to be involved as it's a criminal offence

Incorrect. If its in their private residence, its noise pollution and a civil matter. Not criminal. The police wont attend.

The racial abuse though is a criminal offence."

It makes no difference if they own it, it still comes under anti social behaviour and a police matter not civil try reading the police web

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"Not a chance

A) it's not screwed to wall

B) it can just about be heard in kitchen let alone upstairs

C) it has no bass to it to reverberate through walls

So no I'm not the cause of the problem

If that clock was such a problem Frank would of mentioned it long ago..since the same clock has been in same position for 16 years so please take your hatred for clocks out of the discussion "

yours should be fine then

As mentioned in the reference that they are classed as a noise nuisance, Even english church clocks can be silenced due to there chimes and also at sunday morning call.

if you use the net search you can find enough links on the subject.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Noise disturbance is by far the most common anti-social behaviour reported to the police, local authorities and housing associations. It could be loud music and parties, lots of banging, construction or DIY in the middle of the night anything that you consider unreasonable and is affecting your life.

over a year ago

Birmingham

The music went on until after two in the morning which is when I finally managed to fall asleep

Sadly this isn't council housing its currently half owned half rented (stupid idea) but yeah I've lodged a complaint with the association and when they respond I'll be sure to update them..if it happens again n again after I've spoken to Frank well I'm afraid things are just going to escalate

over a year ago

You need hit the council and keep at them, keep calling daily for progress updates, keep building evidence such as using an app on your phone to record the noise and decibels level, avoid direct confrontation with them. Also speak with other neighbours who it is affecting and ask them to file a complaint.

It's a slow process but the council can have a warrant of control issued by the court for the sound equipment and have it removed.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"haha it chimes every half hour and hour, it's for my Dad (he's blind) so let's him know when it's on the hour or half past the hour..he had one that made bird chirps I quickly got rid of that one was sooo annoying

think of it this way

You are the cause of being a noisey neghbour with that clock alone you might not think so

But i strongly believe that you have started it.

a, being screwed up aginst the boundary wall that you have stated

b, the chimes of that clock set every 1/2 hr

you might not like it or agree with what ive just said.

They are really annoying when your trying to get to sleep if you are a light sleeper that clock will wake you.

I cant stand a ticking alarm clock ive smashed that many of them up.

I can hear a ticking grandfather clock rather well and as said those chimes are really annoying even on them sort of clocks."

utter rubbish

over a year ago

I have noisy neighbours living above me, kids jumping and banging about till 2am most nights.

I tried talking to them, notes through the door, kicking off.

Nothing worked.

Then I saw an episode of Brooklyn 99.

Amy was asked "how do you deal if you have noisy neighbours"

She responded with what I tried.

Then Gena said "no, you make noise yourself to drown theirs out."

So I blast music now when they make a racket so I can't hear them.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"The music went on until after two in the morning which is when I finally managed to fall asleep

Sadly this isn't council housing its currently half owned half rented (stupid idea) but yeah I've lodged a complaint with the association and when they respond I'll be sure to update them..if it happens again n again after I've spoken to Frank well I'm afraid things are just going to escalate "

Housing associations have very robust antisocial behaviour terms and conditions it maybe a convoluted

Process but if you follow the guidelines and record EVERYTHING

Keep a daily diary.

Try to speak to local housing officer to mediate.

You have a lot more protection with a housing association than a private owner.

Also and I would use your dad being blind as a bit of a point.

It must cause him distress and issues if he's using his hearing for stuff??

Also lay it on thick .

over a year ago

"I have noisy neighbours living above me, kids jumping and banging about till 2am most nights.

I tried talking to them, notes through the door, kicking off.

Nothing worked.

Then I saw an episode of Brooklyn 99.

Amy was asked "how do you deal if you have noisy neighbours"

She responded with what I tried.

Then Gena said "no, you make noise yourself to drown theirs out."

So I blast music now when they make a racket so I can't hear them.

"

I also blast music and bang about to wake them up when they lie in till lunch time on a weekend.

2 can play this game

over a year ago

Birmingham

I'm trying to take the high ground for now..against my better judgement, Both the local council & my housing association have been made aware of the noise complaint, I've got the App to detect noise & what not, Will also try get hold of her Dad when I see him outside next to have a word with..because she's clearly not meant to be having male guests over as they All left via the back garden gate to avoid the camera

over a year ago

"I'm trying to take the high ground for now..against my better judgement, Both the local council & my housing association have been made aware of the noise complaint, I've got the App to detect noise & what not, Will also try get hold of her Dad when I see him outside next to have a word with..because she's clearly not meant to be having male guests over as they All left via the back garden gate to avoid the camera"

Good luck, OP.

Unfortunately its a long game. No quick solution.

Its good your council have the app too

As said above, record and log everything.

And a very good suggestion to 'lay it on'..

By *ogo1189Man
over a year ago

Rossendale

"Yep, unfortunately that's normal.

But i went on the local council website...logged everything. Even recorded music being played loud at 5am on a Tuesday morning.

But the tenants were renting, so made it easier."

Not civil in the slightest. Causing a public nuisance is not only criminal, it’s a matter for the crown court

over a year ago

"It comes under anti social behaviour and police have a duty and responsibility to be involved as it's a criminal offence

The racial abuse though is a criminal offence.

It makes no difference if they own it, it still comes under anti social behaviour and a police matter not civil try reading the police web "

NOT A POLICE MATTER!!!

im speaking from both personal experience, and a professional standpoint (ie my job).

Police do not deal with noisy neighbours. Its a civil matter.

Thus the need to contact the civil authority or the EHA.

Police will sometimes attend house parties, but purely to prevent a BOP. And to request they turn down the music/noise or end the party.

They have no actual legal power.

And i didnt say them owning it makes a difference to any complaint.

It was in reference to having someone evicted.

over a year ago

"Yep, unfortunately that's normal.

But the tenants were renting, so made it easier.

Not civil in the slightest. Causing a public nuisance is not only criminal, it’s a matter for the crown court"

So, so wrong.

Post new Message to Thread