Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Ban wood burners

Jump to newest

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS
over a year ago

Central

With the tens of thousands of UK deaths every year, due to airborne pollution, plus many serious illnesses, disabilities arising, including dementia, would you support a ban on wood burning heating, where people have other energy sources at home?

The majority of Londoners polled support abolition.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Given the cost of the other energy sources, I would not support abolition when people are already struggling.

By *enrietteandSamCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

Jewsons premier league division one midlands

Ban wood burners three, Evesham wanderers nil

By *ormorantMan
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"With the tens of thousands of UK deaths every year, due to airborne pollution, plus many serious illnesses, disabilities arising, including dementia, would you support a ban on wood burning heating, where people have other energy sources at home?

The majority of Londoners polled support abolition. "

When Londoners give up their 4x4’s and multi car households with the best transport network in the Uk I might give up my one wood burner..

By *ee04Man
over a year ago

Thurrock

Can’t beat a real fire and as the countries biggest power station is mainly wood burning (look up dead power station) probably puts out in a day the equivalent of what all the wood burners in private homes in the uk in a year.

So everytime you boil you electric kettle or turn your tv think about the pollution from Drax

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

with talk of power cuts earlier this winter I am not giving up my open fire yet

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Nope.

I have had my heating on a handful of times this winter. I burn the correct fuel and nobody is around me to worry about the particles.

Not while energy prices are so temperamental.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"With the tens of thousands of UK deaths every year, due to airborne pollution, plus many serious illnesses, disabilities arising, including dementia, would you support a ban on wood burning heating, where people have other energy sources at home?

When Londoners give up their 4x4’s and multi car households with the best transport network in the Uk I might give up my one wood burner.."

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Londoners can do what they want with wood burners in London but they can fuck off telling me what to do in rural West Dorset.

By *ee04Man
over a year ago

Thurrock

"Can’t beat a real fire and as the countries biggest power station is mainly wood burning (look up dead power station) probably puts out in a day the equivalent of what all the wood burners in private homes in the uk in a year.

So everytime you boil you electric kettle or turn your tv think about the pollution from Drax"

Sorry auto correct kicked in Drax is the power station 72 train loads of wood pellets a week. They have to come from USA and Canada 2300 tonnes unloaded every hour at Immingham.

By *imbo59seMan
over a year ago

North Norfolk

"Londoners can do what they want with wood burners in London but they can fuck off telling me what to do in rural West Dorset. "

You can add Norfolk as well!

Can't get mains gas supply, have an oil fired boiler and a wood burner (the ashes are good for the garden too)

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

Absolutely not! The civilian is not in the slightest responsible for the amount of pollution, that would be the giant companies who refuse to be held accountable

Punishing the public repeatedly isn’t ok anymore, we’ve learned the past few years how little it takes to reduce the pollution, lockdown did that by removing what is unnecessary, odd how it all came back when the economy opened up again

Place the blame where it belongs, not on civilians who are just trying to survive

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"Jewsons premier league division one midlands

Ban wood burners three, Evesham wanderers nil "

over a year ago

Wood has been burnt to keep us alive and warm since cavemen. good luck with stopping it.

over a year ago

North West

"Wood has been burnt to keep us alive and warm since cavemen. good luck with stopping it. "

What was the average life expectancy in the Bronze age?

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

Nope.

Humans have been burning wood for centuries to keep warm and cook.

Get rid of fossil fuels and huge companies pouring millions of tonnes of crap out into the environment.

Trees can be replaced as long as they are used in a sustainable way.

Once the fossil fuels are all gone we have to turn to nuclear…

That’s the scary truth unless we harness more solar and wind and various other natural methods.

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

"Wood has been burnt to keep us alive and warm since cavemen. good luck with stopping it.

What was the average life expectancy in the Bronze age?"

Really??

You’re going to compare life expectancy from back then till now and make out it’s due to burning wood??

Nothing to do with modern healthcare, vaccinations, medicines and the such….

By *ee04Man
over a year ago

Thurrock

Ps Drax is in Yorkshire. So what you’re saying OP is again a north south decide.

Ban wood burners in London but it ok for Yorkshire to be polluted to keep the leccy on?

By *ee04Man
over a year ago

Thurrock

Also Drax is classed as renewable energy because the carbon has only been locked in the trees for average 30 years.

So what’s renewable for government figures is renewable for my living room.

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

No I wouldn't.

By *avexxMan
over a year ago

cheshire

no defo wouldnt ban them,,

By *.T.Man
over a year ago

Belfast

Yet again the Govt chasing the Green agenda apply a policy which isn't thought through and hits the poorest the hardest.

Ground source heat pumps are great if you have the ground to put them in and the increased electricity to run them isn't also charging your teeny tiny eco car.

A wood burner is a lot less polluting than my oil fired boiler, and there's no way the imfrastructure in in place for me to go all electric.

Log burners may be seen as trendy, but for some they are a vital source of heat when the cost of everything has spiralled.

Obviously the Governments answer will be to tax the fuck out of everything polluting that the average household needs to survive, then when we're all in electric cars and using ground source heat pumps, tax the fuck out of electricity to recover that lost revenue stream.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

Not while energy prices are so temperamental. "

I didn't realise that temperamental meant 'Taking the piss'

over a year ago

Mark this down as something that is not going to happen. A wood burner or open fire is part of the energy mix. And I absolutely love sitting in the lounge watching the fire burn.

over a year ago

North West

"Wood has been burnt to keep us alive and warm since cavemen. good luck with stopping it.

Really??

You’re going to compare life expectancy from back then till now and make out it’s due to burning wood??

"

Yeah I think you missed the point! Suggesting burning wood is fine because it was used by cavemen isn't really much of an argument, is it?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Deflection perhaps by whomever carried out the survey, asking the population of the most polluted city in the country by vehicle emissions with one of the smallest number (allegedly) of log burner use about banning the latter?

And the high number of deaths due to particulates in the capital has been the case long before the rise in log burners yet it's only used as a tax raising scam by all the mayor's so far..

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Londoners can do what they want with wood burners in London but they can fuck off telling me what to do in rural West Dorset. "

This! those of us outside of the M25 don't have self righteous over importance and an extra layer of ego to keep us worm

over a year ago

Really??

Yeah I think you missed the point! Suggesting burning wood is fine because it was used by cavemen isn't really much of an argument, is it? "

I said. Good luck with stopping people trying burning wood. I think you missed my point.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"

When Londoners give up their 4x4’s and multi car households with the best transport network in the Uk I might give up my one wood burner.."

Totally agree

over a year ago

Nobody likes a self sufficient population. I imagine it might get a bit grim if we all had to start burning coal again to keep warm, but there must be a backlog of masks in a bunker somewhere we can get through.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

I think most people outside London will give this the same response that Londoners would if the proposal was to ban second home use in rural and coastal areas by those in the capital..

By *eenawMan
over a year ago

anywhere and everywhere

Absolutely not!

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

No, I like my burner.

over a year ago

"I think most people outside London will give this the same response that Londoners would if the proposal was to ban second home use in rural and coastal areas by those in the capital.."

I would back that ban!

over a year ago

Bit free and easy with the old “facts” there buddy.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Well it’s London today, it will be coming to a city near you.

A bit like low emission or clean air zones.

Want people to freeze to death to save the planet? They certainly can’t Afford to be put their gas central heating on.

By *londebiguyMan
over a year ago

Southport

I'd say that there are far more worrying pollution problems than the relatively small number of households with woodburners.

Industrial pollution that largely goes unnoticed by huge profit making companies.

Countries such as China that seem to think very little if pollution.

Even at a local level, people driving cars that are far too big for the towns and cities they are in and they simply do not need.

Woodburners are a drop in the ocean.

And no, I do nut use a Woodburner..

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

Really??

Yeah I think you missed the point! Suggesting burning wood is fine because it was used by cavemen isn't really much of an argument, is it? "

No. I think you’ve missed the point.

Burning wood was a mainstay of energy and warmth and cooking long before we drilled for oil and mined for coal and decided fracking was a good idea and put up nuclear power plants.

To suggest it was a direct correlation to life expectancy rates is just completely off the point.

Nothing whatsoever to do with burning wood.

By *ough75Man
over a year ago

edinburgh/bakewell/derby

Yeah ban the least controlled fuel source that all us forestry contractor’s actually pay out tax on and make folks more dependent on fossil fuels great idea

Yeah a city like London should be smokeless

But rural areas log burners in shed etc

Uk is banning it

Other country’s still in the EU are subsidising installation or even making them a legal requirement in certain locations with a baxk boiler to provide central heating as secondary source of heating

over a year ago

North West

Really??

Yeah I think you missed the point! Suggesting burning wood is fine because it was used by cavemen isn't really much of an argument, is it?

I said. Good luck with stopping people trying burning wood. I think you missed my point. "

Everyone missed the point! Hurrah

By *enrietteandSamCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

Really??

I said. Good luck with stopping people trying burning wood. I think you missed my point.

Everyone missed the point! Hurrah "

Ban wood burners got three points.

Ban wood burners

Ban wood burners

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Yeah ban the least controlled fuel source that all us forestry contractor’s actually pay out tax on and make folks more dependent on fossil fuels great idea

Yeah a city like London should be smokeless

But rural areas log burners in shed etc

Uk is banning it

Other country’s still in the EU are subsidising installation or even making them a legal requirement in certain locations with a baxk boiler to provide central heating as secondary source of heating "

I have a back boiler in mine, oooodles of piping hot water.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

"Absolutely not! The civilian is not in the slightest responsible for the amount of pollution, that would be the giant companies who refuse to be held accountable

Punishing the public repeatedly isn’t ok anymore, we’ve learned the past few years how little it takes to reduce the pollution, lockdown did that by removing what is unnecessary, odd how it all came back when the economy opened up again

Place the blame where it belongs, not on civilians who are just trying to survive "

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

Only just had a wood pellet boiler installed in our place in Dorset.....doh!

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

With afterburners fitted to modern log burners the vast majority of particulate matter (which is what damages your lungs) is consumed leading to two by-products being ejected from the chimney; water vapour and carbon dioxide.

So carbon dioxide is bad mm’kay? Well yes but consider the following:

On average burning wood produces 0.008kg of co2 p/kWh

Gas produces 0.197kg of co2 p/kWh

Electricity produces 0.517kg p/kWh

A typical car produces 4.6 metric tons of co2 per year

So if the particulate matter from wood burning is reduced (through afterburners) and is the most co2 efficient of all energy production, why should it be banned?

Ah yes, because the power companies (who lobby the government) don’t like you to heat your house relatively cheaply compared to their service.

P.s. I never get invited to parties

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

"With afterburners fitted to modern log burners the vast majority of particulate matter (which is what damages your lungs) is consumed leading to two by-products being ejected from the chimney; water vapour and carbon dioxide.

So carbon dioxide is bad mm’kay? Well yes but consider the following:

On average burning wood produces 0.008kg of co2 p/kWh

Gas produces 0.197kg of co2 p/kWh

Electricity produces 0.517kg p/kWh

A typical car produces 4.6 metric tons of co2 per year

So if the particulate matter from wood burning is reduced (through afterburners) and is the most co2 efficient of all energy production, why should it be banned?

Ah yes, because the power companies (who lobby the government) don’t like you to heat your house relatively cheaply compared to their service.

P.s. I never get invited to parties "

Bravo!!!

An articulate and well presented argument.

By *ultured Gent16Man
over a year ago

close.

And don’t worry about parties.

All people do is stand around with glasses of sherbet discussing wood burners and little fire pits in peoples back yards while missing out on the bigger issues because they can’t or won’t make do without their luxury BMW’s or Range Rovers to keep up with the Jones’s.

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Why not ban diesel and petrol cars while you're at it, oh and alcohol and smoking, where do you stop, they all bad for the environment and for your health

By *heoneandonlyEJCouple
over a year ago

Tenerife baby

Give people an ethical, sustainable, affordable alternative before considering a ban. We’d be truly fucked without ours, which is our sole source of hot water and heating.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

The ban isnt needed if anything its down to the user to check what there stoves are doing.

You can still be fined for smoke coming out of your chimney when you lower your burn rate too low where your chimney starts smoking

comes under smoke nuisance

My advice when fitting wood stoves is to tell customers to check there flues during the day. As a test time to find the best position so it dosnt send smoke up a chimney.

A note here secondary air stoves can smoke if you have reduced them too low.

If you dont check your chimney its going to be no excuse if someone videos your chimney smoking and you will get a fine.

over a year ago

It's how people heated their homes in the past with the rise of health issues I doubt that wood burners are to blame I'd go more along the line of chemical's being used on food and water supplies along with radiation from tech being the main reasons, so banning wood burners will do next to nothing to reduce the issue, especially the ev vehicle manufacturing causing more pollution then it will solve

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Alcohol causes more dementia so ban the tax

By *ohn8210tCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

Ban them - ban them now!!!

We can all use electric then .

Oh wait …. we don’t have enough electric here in the Uk . Let’s rely on that great big electric cable from Sweden ( fuel from a wood powered generator). All that mined copper to make the cable and energy to smelt and make it - don’t worry about that !

Brush that equation aside for now.

Oh and the ‘ pipe ‘ from France, edf . Mostly nuclear derived. What could possibly go wrong , right on our doorstep . Nuclear waste, oh don’t worry about that either- our kids will deal with that in the future. Forgot that for now.

Let’s import more wood pellets from halfway round the world from Canada for our power stations too , after all it only apparently uses more power to harvest , process them into pellets and ship them over here than they ever release.

Don’t worry about those statistics - forgot them for now as well.

Let’s open a few more coal power stations of our own and ship in South African coal again. Let’s manufacture and cover all the countryside in solar farms. (Much easier than putting them on houses and factories).

We didn’t need them fields anyway. Dastardly farmers using them for something or other. Probably racing around them in their new range rovers! Surely we can get rid of them farmers soon !

We’ll import more food from third world countries. They can easily chop a bit more of that green forestry thing down to plant food for us. There that was easily solved.

Oh and mine more lithium for storage batteries. There- that’s sorted too !!

We’ve just immediately thrown a bucket of water on our woodburner to put it out instantly ,and that bit of wood in our wood basket that we collected last year from windblown twigs and branches from within a hundred yards of our house -wood that has been drying in our shed for the past twelve months . Well we’ve just taken it out of the house , we couldn’t bare to see it any longer and the silly irresponsible errors of our ways !!! It only heated our whole house, all our hot water and boil our kettle.

Phew thank goodness for politicians to show us the errors of our ways! Politicians traveling into London every day on a train weighing hundreds and hundreds of tonnes hurtling through the countryside! Forgot those energy requirement statistics - it’s far too complicated for now!!

Not fast enough apparently so they’re building another faster one so they can get to London to invent more planet saving ideas even quicker ! We’re saved , hallelujah !

A railway with no stations on it from start to finish- who’d of thought of that ! What a brilliant idea ! ( Oh wait it’s not going to reach London now! ) hmmm?

Crikey - we’ve rushed to turn the electric heaters on- only about 20 kw , the kettle on 3kw and the immersion-3.5 kw right now!

( Oh and we’ve broken the ‘law ‘too. Did you spot it) … no …we said ‘ yards’ !!

Oh no- what irresponsible adults we’ve become- quick- send for the weights and measures police !!!

Aarrgggh !!!

By * o yWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Pst.. wasnt the HS2 being built for the movement of containers from DownSouth to up North!... hence no stations as such. Please Im only saying. Please do carry on

over a year ago

I think this post covers it all ,,brill

over a year ago

Until we address the elephant in the room which is population control then anything you do to “save the planet” is simply pissing into the wind.

over a year ago

North West

"Alcohol causes more dementia so ban the tax "

Frankly, I wouldn't say no to more restriction on the access to alcohol. Liver disease due to alcohol use is one of the leading causes of mortality in this country now.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"Until we address the elephant in the room which is population control then anything you do to “save the planet” is simply pissing into the wind. "

The population problem is being addressed in more subtle ways than you might think.

They are working on more and more ways of reducing the will to live.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

Don’t worry the next global war that is overdue will rebalance the population books for sure.

In reality the planet is not overpopulated its certain societies are overpopulated and consume more than they need to survive. First world living right

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

No! How many got them? Then look how many cars on the road! Bit mixed up that! X

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

The other thing is, what the hell else are we supposed to do with all the wood?

Banning wood burners won't stop it growing. I spend huge amounts of my gardening year cutting it down and then cutting it up again. At the moment it's is nearly all given away to wood burning and barbecue owning friends.

over a year ago

No chance my wood burner saves me a fortune especially as I get the timber from work , they're cosy and relaxing

over a year ago

North West

"The other thing is, what the hell else are we supposed to do with all the wood?

Banning wood burners won't stop it growing. I spend huge amounts of my gardening year cutting it down and then cutting it up again. At the moment it's is nearly all given away to wood burning and barbecue owning friends."

Let it biodegrade naturally, which is what it's supposed to do! If there's big bits in the way, get them turned into wood chips and then can be spread on the ground to biodegrade. Owners of animals like chickens would always be grateful for wood chip too.

By *ed and WolfieCouple
over a year ago

Gravesend

Ask people who haven't got something if it should be banned and of course they will agree. Having a log burner is not killing anything, other than the spiders in your chimney!

Run a poll that asks 'should we ban ferraris, or champagne, or people living in castles and you will get the same answer!

Run a separate poll asking if we should ban selfie taking, or grey joggers and you will get a different response lol

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I suggest banning, banning things.

By *queakyclean69erCouple
over a year ago

Torquay / Fleet

[Removed by poster at 21/02/23 17:14:08]

By *queakyclean69erCouple
over a year ago

Torquay / Fleet

"I suggest banning, banning things. "

Bloody marvellous idea

By *pank the MonkeyCouple
over a year ago

Down the Rabbit Hole and Round the Corner

Let's ban gas fires, electric heaters and just freeze until April!

over a year ago

Let’s ban fun while we’re at it!

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"I suggest banning, banning things. "

Ban banning anything that you can tax instead of banning!

over a year ago

"Let’s ban fun while we’re at it! "

Or the government might charge VAT on it

By *ucks Couple UKCouple
over a year ago

Bucks

The problem with the poll is that most people in London do not have Wood Burners. Mary Poppjns is make believe ….. sorry.

People with wood burners/open fires will say no to a ban. People who don’t have this form of heating will probably say yes to a ban as it doesn’t affect them.

over a year ago

"Until we address the elephant in the room which is population control then anything you do to “save the planet” is simply pissing into the wind. "

Absolutely couldn't of said it better myself

By *ed and WolfieCouple
over a year ago

Gravesend

Unfortunately, population control or adjustment is the answer. No matter how much each individual recycles or reduces their consumption of stuff, the ever increasing number of people still results on increased use of resources.

We need the level of investment to convert vast areas of the planet into productive land that simply does not exist. And all the while we are using more limited resources every day.

Sorry to sound defeatist but recycling your rubbish and buying a Tesla actually does fuck all towards saving the planet.

Post new Message to Thread