Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

concrete, block paving, tarmac or a resin drive

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I need a new drive and I would like to get opinions on what is best. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Something sympathetic to your property abs residential area? No one can answer this as posed.

By *allguynowMan
over a year ago

durham

Block paving because if anything goes wrong such as a pipe then you can lift the blocks. Not so easy with tarmac or resin.

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

Matted concrete do not not put down paving bricks/blocks trust me

over a year ago

"Something sympathetic to your property abs residential area? No one can answer this as posed."

It's going around the back so won't really be seen. I'm not that fussy, I'm just fed up of getting stuck in the mud.

over a year ago

"Block paving because if anything goes wrong such as a pipe then you can lift the blocks. Not so easy with tarmac or resin. "

Good thinking

over a year ago

"Matted concrete do not not put down paving bricks/blocks trust me "

Why not ?

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

Depends on your budget.

Block paving can sink but at least that's relatively easy to put right.

Concrete may start off hard-wearing but can crack and doesn't let water drain away.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Got tarmac, it's been down over 10-15 yrs and not moved. Just use algon to clear any moss that starts to collect. If it's timed so it's sunny with rain a few days after it burns it off then washes it clear.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

they all need a good beds under them otherwise they fail

concrete can be lethal in winter as bad as resin drives they are lethel

tarmac needs a good sub surface same as blocks and also concrete and block paving.

there is one other concrete flags as a drive way with grass or pebbles in the middle pref large compacted ones as they dont collect s that well

blocks are the most easiest to lay for anyone but you need a wacking machine

same with tarmac and concrete and resin

over a year ago

I was quoted 90+vat a square meter for tarmac

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

Does it have to be a hard stand OP?

Gravel grids, if that's what you call them, and decorative chips would be more ecofriendly as and rain water would drain away.

By *aptain Caveman41Man
over a year ago

Home

"Matted concrete do not not put down paving bricks/blocks trust me

Why not ?"

washing them. Replacing the sand between them after every wash the s that come up through them need I go on. I have paving bricks in my driveway if I could afford to replace them I would.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"Something sympathetic to your property abs residential area? No one can answer this as posed.

It's going around the back so won't really be seen. I'm not that fussy, I'm just fed up of getting stuck in the mud."

Concrete is harder for the police to dig up.

Apparently.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

concrete

cons: usually quite ugly, can crack, looks shit if you need to dig up a section

Pro's: hardwearing and easy to jetwash clean

Block paving

Cons: can sink if not prepped right, fucker for s!

Pros: can look great, hard wearing, can be relaid if you need to

tarmac

Cons: bit shit, looks like a motorway, melts in summer, bit stinky sometimes.

Pros: Can get it cheap off a passing 'traveller' (dubious quality)

resin

Cons: fucked if you have to dig any of it up for works

Pros: looks good, lots of options, fantastic as a skating rink in winter

Gravel

Cons: giant cat litter, bit y- use decent control fabric (easy to pull em up then).

Pros: fairly cheap to do and change, deters burglars as its quite 'crunchy', dig up your whole drive and bury the annoying neighbours kid- nobody will ever notice

over a year ago

"Does it have to be a hard stand OP?

Gravel grids, if that's what you call them, and decorative chips would be more ecofriendly as and rain water would drain away. "

I would prefer hard standing. I already have chippings down, but no grids. The ground is very soggy this time of year.

over a year ago

"Matted concrete do not not put down paving bricks/blocks trust me

Why not ?washing them. Replacing the sand between them after every wash the s that come up through them need I go on. I have paving bricks in my driveway if I could afford to replace them I would. "

I see

over a year ago

"Something sympathetic to your property abs residential area? No one can answer this as posed.

It's going around the back so won't really be seen. I'm not that fussy, I'm just fed up of getting stuck in the mud.

Concrete is harder for the police to dig up.

Apparently."

Shush

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I like the look of resin drives, there's a few around here but I've been told they are very expensive. We are thing of using gravel grids as described above and diying it

over a year ago

"concrete

cons: usually quite ugly, can crack, looks shit if you need to dig up a section

Pro's: hardwearing and easy to jetwash clean

Block paving

Cons: can sink if not prepped right, fucker for s!

Pros: can look great, hard wearing, can be relaid if you need to

tarmac

Cons: bit shit, looks like a motorway, melts in summer, bit stinky sometimes.

Pros: Can get it cheap off a passing 'traveller' (dubious quality)

resin

Cons: fucked if you have to dig any of it up for works

Pros: looks good, lots of options, fantastic as a skating rink in winter

Gravel

Cons: giant cat litter, bit y- use decent control fabric (easy to pull em up then).

Pros: fairly cheap to do and change, deters burglars as its quite 'crunchy', dig up your whole drive and bury the annoying neighbours kid- nobody will ever notice "

Gotcha.

I have chippings down now and almost everyday I'm shoveling away dog mess. I must of thrown a ton of stones away since I've been here lol.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Gravel grids, if that's what you call them, and decorative chips would be more ecofriendly as and rain water would drain away.

I would prefer hard standing. I already have chippings down, but no grids. The ground is very soggy this time of year. "

Oh where to start.

If you change the serface you are not allowed to discharge rain water now of your land.

Resin is normally laid as a top coating to tarmac. Tarmac can sink if you park in the same spot look at car parks my local aldi I can let the car role in to the dips.

Block paving as someone said is easy to lift and relay if service need work.

I went with concrete and the company doing made a right mess but in time it will get topped with risen.

Don't think I have helped but what is your budget. My drive 144m2 cost £16k well should of but thay did not get payed in full.

over a year ago

"I like the look of resin drives, there's a few around here but I've been told they are very expensive. We are thing of using gravel grids as described above and diying it "

Yes the resin looks great but expensive!

I think if I had gravel grids they would sink through the mud here.

I guess it depends on the land. Its bog land here.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"I like the look of resin drives, there's a few around here but I've been told they are very expensive. We are thing of using gravel grids as described above and diying it

I guess it depends on the land. Its bog land here."

Could you take some of the soggy stuff off then start with some type 1 hardcore and run over it with Wacker plate then lay the grids down?

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"I like the look of resin drives, there's a few around here but I've been told they are very expensive. We are thing of using gravel grids as described above and diying it "

A good bace is key TERRAM first then crushed concrete or MOT rolled or waked with a wakerplate I'd go for 6" on a drive then your grids and gravel crushed lime looks nice and dose nor move as much as pea beach.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"I like the look of resin drives, there's a few around here but I've been told they are very expensive. We are thing of using gravel grids as described above and diying it

When you say bog

Drainage membranes TERRAM and a deep sub bace

over a year ago

I would prefer hard standing. I already have chippings down, but no grids. The ground is very soggy this time of year.

Oh where to start.

If you change the serface you are not allowed to discharge rain water now of your land.

Resin is normally laid as a top coating to tarmac. Tarmac can sink if you park in the same spot look at car parks my local aldi I can let the car role in to the dips.

Block paving as someone said is easy to lift and relay if service need work.

I went with concrete and the company doing made a right mess but in time it will get topped with risen.

Don't think I have helped but what is your budget. My drive 144m2 cost £16k well should of but thay did not get payed in full."

Yes I heard resin is cheaper if you already have a base for it. Concrete was my first thought, but I can't find anyone laying concrete around here. The companies I contacted only deliver it.

I'm not sure of the size because it shoots off in different directions. It is a big area.

16k sounds expensive for that.. but then again I was quoted 90+vat for tarmac.

over a year ago

Could you take some of the soggy stuff off then start with some type 1 hardcore and run over it with Wacker plate then lay the grids down?"

Yes I considered that option. Need a machine in whatever option I choose.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

"

Gravel

Pros: fairly cheap to do and change, deters burglars as its quite 'crunchy', dig up your whole drive and bury the annoying neighbours kid- nobody will ever notice "

also cannot shovel it too well in snow as its more of a scrape.

too deep car sinks dont over excellerate as it will spin the pebbles out fast behind the car.

over a year ago

When you say bog

Drainage membranes TERRAM and a deep sub bace "

I haven't heard of TERRAM until now. I shall inquire .

Can't wait to get it done.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

When you say bog

Can't wait to get it done. "

Copy and past it to Google

Also just be Careful of new legislation you now have to have I think 3m of hard area to stop gravel getting on to foot path or highway if you do to much this might apply.

Th 16k was to dig it all out 12' below finished level install a soakaway terram cover the ground fill with 5' of crushed concrete then another membran 2' of type 2 MOT and 5' of reinforced concrete in 6 bays the bays stop it cracking have had a 40 tone lorry on and off no problems yet shame they got some levels wrong.

By *ttmcdguyTV/TS
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

It sounds to me like you may have a bit of a land drainage issue in which case no matter what you put down without sorting out you drainage issue 1st will degrade whatever sub base you put down and eventually will distort what ever finish you decide on

I totally understand we have had a wet season but to still be boggy now isn’t really that common tbh

If was me I would look at putting some land drainage trenches in 1st

But without proper site survey it’s only a suggestion not a factual statement!

Ps as for the gravel grids they are designed specifically for your particular problem ie solid base in boggy terrain

They all clip together so they support there selves laid on taram should be fine

over a year ago

When you say bog

Can't wait to get it done.

Copy and past it to Google

Also just be Careful of new legislation you now have to have I think 3m of hard area to stop gravel getting on to foot path or highway if you do to much this might apply.

Th 16k was to dig it all out 12' below finished level install a soakaway terram cover the ground fill with 5' of crushed concrete then another membran 2' of type 2 MOT and 5' of reinforced concrete in 6 bays the bays stop it cracking have had a 40 tone lorry on and off no problems yet shame they got some levels wrong. "

Meaning to do some more research

By *I TwoCouple
over a year ago

currently travelling down W France

Based on mine and my neighbours

Paved bricks and larger pavers are a nightmare for moss and s.

Pattern concrete has no issues with s but the surface sealer does wear away and concrete is porous and will stain if not resealed, plain concrete is unsightly even when clean

Tarmac looks great for many years but s will grow and it will crack eventually

Nobody has resin but it might be the most maintenance free option

over a year ago

It sounds to me like you may have a bit of a land drainage issue in which case no matter what you put down without sorting out you drainage issue 1st will degrade whatever sub base you put down and eventually will distort what ever finish you decide on

I totally understand we have had a wet season but to still be boggy now isn’t really that common tbh

Ps as for the gravel grids they are designed specifically for your particular problem ie solid base in boggy terrain

They all clip together so they support there selves laid on taram should be fine "

Can you lay over gravel grids ?

over a year ago

"Based on mine and my neighbours

Paved bricks and larger pavers are a nightmare for moss and s.

Pattern concrete has no issues with s but the surface sealer does wear away and concrete is porous and will stain if not resealed, plain concrete is unsightly even when clean

Tarmac looks great for many years but s will grow and it will crack eventually

Nobody has resin but it might be the most maintenance free option "

From what I've read resin is a slip hazard and expensive. Looks amazing though.

over a year ago

I was advised not to get concrete because it goes to look dirty quickly.

I still think it could be my cheaper option though.

By *ttmcdguyTV/TS
over a year ago

Milton Keynes

They all clip together so they support there selves laid on taram should be fine

Can you lay over gravel grids ?"

I’ve personally not laid on top of them as in the walkway grids

But have laid block paved parking on top of soak away crates ! Just laid same traditional way of tarram 6”type1 50mm sharpsand 100mm blocks

So I’m sure there will be a product of some discript that is available for what your needs are

But I’m willing to bet it will probably be a cheaper option to dig out the bog and fill with crushed hardcore!

By *ryan...Man
over a year ago

1950's Original

"I need a new drive and I would like to get opinions on what is best. Any suggestions will be very appreciated.

"

I think Rory McIlroy has a video out

Post new Message to Thread