Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Whataboutery

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Love a bit of whataboutery, normally it’s used as a form of disingenuous argument to change the subject. Rarely is it actually used for good.

Not saying that this is a good use, jut I was just reading the most recent Nicola Bully thread for some reason (I wish I hadn’t). There have been many of them, some get closed down by moderators, everyones got an opinion, plenty of other missing or dead people have been added in via whataboutery to show how the Police or media are biased, or incompetent, etc and how we’re all being hoodwinked by the truth in some aspect or other.

1 person missing. Possibly 1 person dead.

Now, the Earthquake in Turkey and Syria, currently stands at 42,000 dead. No indication on the number missing, because they are simply not providing that figure, but it’s basically every city in an area the size of Portugal, some of which still haven't been accessed. But basically, that figure will be 42,001 when they next pull a body out in a few minutes and if this doesn’t rise to 6 figures, I will be both amazed and grateful.

Now, both stories are a similar age, but excluding this thread I haver seen 2 threads totalling 18 posts on the subject. Possibly the single greatest loss of life event in the world that any of us have ever lived through. And no-one gives much of a shit to talk about it.

Not sure why I felt compelled to post this, I guess it’s because of how much shit gets posted for cause célèbre incidents where we all pretend to be caring people.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Because it's not our country and we can't relate to a disaster like that, as it would never happen here?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think it’s the way the media portrays large scale deaths.

One person - every detail of their lives is published, work, kids, family, dog, friends coming forward with kinds words about them etc. It makes it easier to sympathise.

More than 10 and not much is published beyond the statistics.

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I don't comment on any threads of that nature.

I have enough crap going on in my life and lost 2 family members in the space of 5 weeks since Christmas so when I'm on here I'm looking for distraction and amusement rather than more of the same.

Posting on threads like that isn't a true reflection of a caring community because as we all know a lot of what is said on the forums is lip service and done for attention or to garner reaction.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"I can't speak for anyone else but personally I don't comment on any threads of that nature.

I have enough crap going on in my life and lost 2 family members in the space of 5 weeks since Christmas so when I'm on here I'm looking for distraction and amusement rather than more of the same.

Posting on threads like that isn't a true reflection of a caring community because as we all know a lot of what is said on the forums is lip service and done for attention or to garner reaction.

"

Noooo, you’ve shattered my world, you mean people post comments that aren’t totally genuine and deeply sincere on the forums.

I’m going to have to totally rethink my presence here.

over a year ago

"Because it's not our country and we can't relate to a disaster like that, as it would never happen here? "

I would hope we can all relate or at least have the capacity to relate to something like this. We did when it was Grenfell, or with other larger scale loss of like in the UK. And there are so many stories about unlikely reunions and stuff that isn;t mere specul;ation on speculation that I would have assumed people might be moved by that, in a ‘there but for the grace of god go I’ way.

I just find it interesting how we can get hyper focussed on such a small story in the grand scheme of things and miss the wider picture. I guees it’s a form of societal ADHD...

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"Because it's not our country and we can't relate to a disaster like that, as it would never happen here?

I would hope we can all relate or at least have the capacity to relate to something like this. We did when it was Grenfell, or with other larger scale loss of like in the UK. And there are so many stories about unlikely reunions and stuff that isn;t mere specul;ation on speculation that I would have assumed people might be moved by that, in a ‘there but for the grace of god go I’ way.

I just find it interesting how we can get hyper focussed on such a small story in the grand scheme of things and miss the wider picture. I guees it’s a form of societal ADHD..."

But we're never going to be victims of earthquakes, nor are that many people going to die in one go in the UK.

Obviously we can relate to deaths from house fires and people going missing, because it could happen to us.

over a year ago

"

But we're never going to be victims of earthquakes, nor are that many people going to die in one go in the UK.

Obviously we can relate to deaths from house fires and people going missing, because it could happen to us. "

True, that specific thing won't happen to us, nor will those numbers without something ridiculous happen. I just find the apathy astounding, 1 more post and we’re already hit 50% of the total previous posts on the subject.

And yet, some foreign things that will also never happen to us do gain plenty of traction, mass shootings in the US for example

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"

Obviously we can relate to deaths from house fires and people going missing, because it could happen to us.

True, that specific thing won't happen to us, nor will those numbers without something ridiculous happen. I just find the apathy astounding, 1 more post and we’re already hit 50% of the total previous posts on the subject.

And yet, some foreign things that will also never happen to us do gain plenty of traction, mass shootings in the US for example"

But it could... And did, in Dunblane. Plus the shootings in Liverpool recently. And acts of terror that have happened on our streets.

I think alot of people just don't want to think about others suffering when we have so much going on in our own lives the way things are at the moment. It's an extra burden.

over a year ago

"

And yet, some foreign things that will also never happen to us do gain plenty of traction, mass shootings in the US for example

But it could... And did, in Dunblane. Plus the shootings in Liverpool recently. And acts of terror that have happened on our streets.

I think alot of people just don't want to think about others suffering when we have so much going on in our own lives the way things are at the moment. It's an extra burden.

"

Gun crime is getting worse around here. There’s a notorious estate in my town where police will split you up and disperse you in groups of more than two, and if you’re stood outside the shop too long you’ll be moved on as so many people have been shot outside it.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think humans with notable exceptions such as the search and rescue teams, medics, fire fighters etc from all over the world who are currently in Turkey, tend to concentrate and feel more connected to events close to home.

If a person went missing from my street I'd be far more involved and interested than if someone went missing in Glasgow. Yet perversely I feel way more sorry for all those Turkish people, especially the children whose whole families are gone than I do for Nicola Bulleys children.

It's a funny old world

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Because it's not our country and we can't relate to a disaster like that, as it would never happen here?

I just find it interesting how we can get hyper focussed on such a small story in the grand scheme of things and miss the wider picture. I guees it’s a form of societal ADHD...

Obviously we can relate to deaths from house fires and people going missing, because it could happen to us. "

Another is one is a natural disaster, pretty much unavoidable and can't be prevented. I can't provide much to the thread other than "thoughts and prayers".

The other is a mystery that potentially could be prevented. It has speculation about it, things that can be discussed.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"

Gun crime is getting worse around here. There’s a notorious estate in my town where police will split you up and disperse you in groups of more than two, and if you’re stood outside the shop too long you’ll be moved on as so many people have been shot outside it. "

Do you favour difficult long-distance shots or close up but risky? I’m the chest or the face?

Or is it just because you’ve been refused your favourite Lambrini?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

International disasters often resonate with us more than most Brits we know. Possibly because we work in international education and so most disasters will have a direct impact on our students. When the invasion of Ukraine happened, we had students with families being bombed out and in serious distress. The impact of that hit us directly, immediately, through work. This earthquake is no different. But our jobs bring us into contact with people from such a wide variety of countries that few people will encounter in one go, so it's a bit unusual I suppose. Work is trying to assist affected students as best we can, including financially if necessary.

over a year ago

Similar to the covid numbers. It's just a number.

It only becomes 'real' when you know someone affected.

I think it's just a survival thing though. If we paid attention to everything we'd likely be very very sad indeed.

over a year ago

"

Gun crime is getting worse around here. There’s a notorious estate in my town where police will split you up and disperse you in groups of more than two, and if you’re stood outside the shop too long you’ll be moved on as so many people have been shot outside it.

Do you favour difficult long-distance shots or close up but risky? I’m the chest or the face?

Or is it just because you’ve been refused your favourite Lambrini?"

I don’t hang around there, I’ve only been there once to pick a friend up. And I only slowed the car down, I didn’t stop

over a year ago

North West

"

I don’t hang around there, I’ve only been there once to pick a friend up. And I only slowed the car down, I didn’t stop "

Noctorum?

over a year ago

"

I don’t hang around there, I’ve only been there once to pick a friend up. And I only slowed the car down, I didn’t stop

Noctorum? "

The woody

over a year ago

North West

"

Noctorum?

The woody "

Ah yes. I briefly ventured to the shops when my Dad was in Arrowe

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

One death (missing person) is a tragedy.

42k deaths is a statistic.

And this missing person is "our tribe". "Those" people are not.

As humans we have hunter gatherer brains and it comes out in ugly ways.

Post new Message to Thread