Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Investments

Jump to newest

By *ensual m OP   Man
over a year ago

conwy

Has anyone got any tips on where to invest money to make money. Its not easy nowadays to know what to do or what to invest in.

Even gold is selling for a lot more than the market value recently.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

I would avoid Crypto like the plague. A lot of problems in it right now.

If you want to invest, speak to a Financial planner, make sure you invest only what you can afford to loose and remember, it’s not a get rich quick scheme, it’ll take years and years.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There is a prince from Nigeria who will help you with investment. I got an email from him about my £80 millions lottery win.All I had to do was send him £25k to validate my account. Very honest and professional, I didn't even have to enter the lottery!

over a year ago

Buy a stocks and shares ISA on with a trading company like Landsdowne Hargreaves and follow their tips on Funds to buy. You arent going to make millions but if you pick a few good ones, you will get growth.

Failing that; read investors magazines. I've had some good ones over the years

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"Has anyone got any tips on where to invest money to make money. Its not easy nowadays to know what to do or what to invest in.

Even gold is selling for a lot more than the market value recently."

Take an investor course at a local college or uni or the open university online. Join an investors forum and read books and magazines on investing as a previous commentor said.

over a year ago

Probably shouldn’t ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Incidentally I’ve recently joined a scheme where for a small initial investment you can get great returns. All you have to do is have your friends and family sign up to your team, and then they do the same etc etc…

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Has anyone got any tips on where to invest money to make money. Its not easy nowadays to know what to do or what to invest in.

There are no tips, everything is specific and tailored to what you’re trying to achieve

For me right now gold is good, I’ve been buying regularly since Oct when it was 150 AED per gram for 18Kt and even now I think today is down to 170 from of 182 last few weeks but it will keep rising I like it and use it if I don’t sell it so I’ll continue to buy.

Other than that 4-5% in IA and rising , 6-10% in P2P, I’m not doing much in stocks right now other than maxing out my tax relief in pensions. Certain retail bonds look interesting

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

Great rates at the bank these days

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Even gold is selling for a lot more than the market value recently.

Take an investor course at a local college or uni or the open university online. Join an investors forum and read books and magazines on investing as a previous commentor said."

Also only invest in things you understand

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Buy a stocks and shares ISA on with a trading company like Landsdowne Hargreaves and follow their tips on Funds to buy. You arent going to make millions but if you pick a few good ones, you will get growth.

Failing that; read investors magazines. I've had some good ones over the years"

As well as LH, for newbies I think the Vanguard platform is quite good , they have some packages with 40,50,60 percent in bonds etc that are quite easy to understand it think they are called life strategy 40,50, 60 etc. when I first got it I trading I used this platform it’s good

By *ull English with teaMan
over a year ago

London

The 3:20pm at Kempton. TruffleShuffle 7-1 each way.

over a year ago

Read the motley fool... He will give you previous 10 years of stats

By *skyouneverknowMan
over a year ago

Calne

I like to invest in experiences

By *osaint1971Couple
over a year ago

Near Taunton

Remember that Bitcoin is not crypto. Crypto is largely a bunch of centralised scams trying to piggyback on the genius of Satoshi. Not financial advice but you don't want to be kicking yourself when CBDC comes and you have no way to transfer value anonymously.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I like to invest in experiences "

Aren't they a bit short lived and little if any long term return ?

I like experiences but see them more as a cost than an investment.

Prefer to invest in relationships, skills and education.

By *skyouneverknowMan
over a year ago

Calne

"I like to invest in experiences

Prefer to invest in relationships, skills and education."

They're not binary choices - experiences give me all those things

By *REEPALESTINEMan
over a year ago

derby

"Probably shouldn’t ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Incidentally I’ve recently joined a scheme where for a small initial investment you can get great returns. All you have to do is have your friends and family sign up to your team, and then they do the same etc etc… "

Lol

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

They're not binary choices - experiences give me all those things"

I think there’s no better investments than people & skills. If the world goes to shit and your penniless , they will still provide for you

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

They're not binary choices - experiences give me all those things

I think there’s no better investments than people & skills. If the world goes to shit and your penniless , they will still provide for you "

Agreed but having a bunch of money also helps.

With regard to OPs original question: my personal investment approach is time - just regularly invest money in low cost index trackers that will reinvest dividends and wait for time to help with compounding up the returns. I don’t try to get fancy or do anything short term.

By time I mean a decade or more.

By *amhorniestMan
over a year ago

Surrey

Depends on how much you've got to invest, I've always found to be good...

Hedge funds, property, classic cars and fine wine.

All only go one way

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Depends on how much you've got to invest, I've always found to be good...

Hedge funds, property, classic cars and fine wine.

All only go one way "

The wine only does one way in this house , down

I totally get the cars, also art ad jewellery but what’s the point investing in wine if you cant enjoy it ? That’s just cruel

over a year ago

Put it under the mattress old skool.

By *obandruthCouple
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Ask the government. As there making a huge amount of money out of screwing us .

By *ensual m OP   Man
over a year ago

conwy

Theres a lot to look through here and i appreciate all who have posted. I think im going to have to do a lot of research before i take the plunge. Ill look into what everyone has said and ill be back in the future to update you. Either from my monaco yacht or a cardboard box in a high street doorway somewhere.

By *ixieAndHerKingCouple
over a year ago

Debauchery

Tesla $TSLA on pull backs.. not above $175 though buy and hold for 5 years. Other high-beta buy-and-hold investments like ARKK will do well over a 5year time horizon. Neither of those will pay dividends though.

On a macro level bank shares do well in rising interest rate environments. Sadly I don’t think we’ve seen the worst of the inflation yet. Conversely when real (not bank) rates fall gold will do well.

When the US bond curve ‘inverts’ (YouTube that) it’s a sign a recession is coming. It has inverted already but I think it will invert again and the recession will deepen in the U.K. sadly.

Hades

x

By *exanthemMan
over a year ago

North

Buy companies producing and refining high grade lithium

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

I bought the dip in oil companies during Covid I also bought chain link low and sold it on the pump.

In my opinion world events and timing.

It doesn’t always work. I am sat with some smelly shares at the moment. But never invest what you are not prepared to lose.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I signed up to interactive investor recently , very good so far , far better than H&L and vanguard if you know what you are doing of course , if not those two are safe and well reviewed, I used vanguard for years to learn about markets

over a year ago

"I bought the dip in oil companies during Covid I also bought chain link low and sold it on the pump.

In my opinion world events and timing.

It doesn’t always work. I am sat with some smelly shares at the moment. But never invest what you are not prepared to lose. "

This also do not touch anything mildly crypto related as the traditional banking system is using its power to try and bring all that new stuff crashing down because eventually it will bring about decentralisation, in the short term and without my conspiracy hat on Vanguard look best bet but it is exactly that, you are gambling, savings, bonds or ISA will always give steady returns over the long term, there’s a guy on YouTube called DamienTalksMoney, watch a few of his, there’s some excellent advice in there

Post new Message to Thread