Feeling looooooow

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

True story !!!!!!

Feeling low....

Last night

Well every night really.

So i did as everyone says, reach out talk to someone. Hard !

Samaritans.. 116123

So i called

Ring. Ring. Ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring. at this point i thought shall i just jump.

Ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.. 6m 21sec.. an answer

Hello we're the Samaritans we here to listen !

Hi.hey.hello.you. coz i boring

Hey, we're the Samaritans here to listen !

Are you an insomniac ?

Hi. We're the Samaritans hear to listen

So are you an insomnia ?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say

Are you a insomnia ?

Samaritans where to listen

So are u a insomniac ?

Im not sure what yr saying ?

I'm asking if you're an insomniac Id like to have a conversation. ?

Yes we're the Samaritans hear to listen

Well obviously yr not

Yes we the Samaritans hear to listen

Well obviously you're not.. I have asked if you were an insomniac and id like a conversation.. 2 ways ???.. so obviously you're not listening to me.

Yes we're the Samaritans here to listen

Well obviously you're not I'd like a conversation...

I think I'm going to have to put the phone down on sir

What.

All i asked wss for a conversation

Yes well sir

So hang on !, if i was standing on this bridge, your response to me would be.. i think im going to have to but the phone dwn.

Hello

Hi

Anybody thrre

Now i live under the bridge..

True ! Story !!!!!... she hanged up on ME

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

They are there to listen and I know most of the workers (unpaid volunteers) do shift work; just because it's the middle of the night doesn't mean they're insomniacs. Perhaps they didn't want to disclose if they were or weren't as if they weren't you may not have been able to relate? I know they shouldn't give out personal information for their safety.

Not trying to say one side or another was right/wrong just to give an alternate perspective.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The way you started the call sounded like a prank call, which unfortunately I'm sure they get a lot of.

By *weetkitten65Woman
over a year ago

Halifax

"The way you started the call sounded like a prank call, which unfortunately I'm sure they get a lot of. "

Totally agree

Plus they are not there to talk about their life..

over a year ago

She hung up, as you were taking the piss. Tieing up a phone line that someone in genuine need could have required..

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

I feel you might of received more help if you talked about yourself and why you felt the need to ring them rather than you asking personal questions about the person who volunteers their own time at the Samaritans and answered your call.

Please seek professional help if you're feeling so low. Take care

over a year ago

I've called them in the last year or two, the people on the other end always did a great job. And I'm certain if I kept asking the same question, the call handler wouldn't keep repeating their greeting like a robot but would ask why I was calling the samaritans.

Sorry if you got someone who wasnt on their a game. But can't tell if this posts serious or not.

By *BootyfulDayWoman
over a year ago

"The way you started the call sounded like a prank call, which unfortunately I'm sure they get a lot of. "

Yes I think I went a long way round trying to say this

I know someone who volunteers there and hats off to them, they have to put up lots of pranks and frankly weird/gross stuff. I know it's worth it if they get to also help those really struggling and needing help but it's a shame there's so many bad calls too.

over a year ago

Hmm. I think that is the point tho.. They are thre to LISTEN to you talk about YOUR issues. They are not there for a general chit chat in the middle of the night which is how it is coming across to me? And as others have said they are not there to share personal details about their lives.

They get so many crank calls - mostly men wanking off which they cannot just hang up from in case it is actually someone who can't speak.

They also deal with some pretty horrific scenarios and often need counselling /decompressing themselves at the end of a shift

I'm sorry you were feeling low and hope you are a little more resilient today.

over a year ago

Ah that's not good. I understand they must deal with prank calls etc but from how you've described it they sound so unhelpful. I think they could have made more of an effort to make sure you were OK rather than repeating a phrase constantly and not even trying to engage in conversation with you.

I'm only hearing your side, so it could be completely different if I was to listen from their side but I get why you're disappointed.

I've always found telephone and email therapy useless tbh. I always find it feels scripted and robotic.

If you struggle with feeling low often make sure you seek some real life support lovely. I hope today is brighter.

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

Like others said you sound like a prank caller

over a year ago

Read all your wonderful posts. Ta

Try to understand them because I suffer from dyslexia and many other things..

Was not a prank call

Yes unpaid volunteers ( appreciated )

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

When they said they would listen

Doesn't really work in my head

... yes i have other help

But at that point in my life

I'd like to have a conversation with someone else

I didn't swear. I Didn't Raise My Voice

I was polite as aways

But there's no humanity left in this world

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I know someone that volunteers for the Samaritans. Unfortunately they have to deal with a lot of prank calls....and sadly even more calls where someone just wants to have a wank

They do not give any personal information out. What you did is ask outright for her to reveal personal information. And then just repeat that same request for said personal information. I'm sorry that you're feeling low, but I'm sure that if you'd worded your end of the conversation differently then you would have received an entirely different response - perhaps something like 'I'm an insomniac and I'm feeling really low tonight, I'd like to chat about how other insomniacs cope in this situation'. It's an open statement that gives her more ways to respond without revealing anything personal about herself.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"Read all your wonderful posts. Ta

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

"

What I'm picking up in my gut instinct is that you OP are neurodivergent. I could be wrong so let me know.

Listening is primarily to give one's attention to a sound. The sound being someone talking.

Listening is not the same thing as a conversation.

Listening is not the same thing as answering a question.

A conversation is 2 people talking back and forth and listening back and forth.

Mental health professionals do not answer personal questions about themselves because that takes the focus away from you, the person that they are trying to help.

these are social cues that Neurotypicals understand but Neurodivergents do not understand unless someone spells it out directly to us and breaks it down in detail.

So you asking about the call handler, personally was out of social context. Ask your therapist about social context.

Hope that helps.

over a year ago

"I know someone that volunteers for the Samaritans. Unfortunately they have to deal with a lot of prank calls....and sadly even more calls where someone just wants to have a wank

They do not give any personal information out. What you did is ask outright for her to reveal personal information. And then just repeat that same request for said personal information. I'm sorry that you're feeling low, but I'm sure that if you'd worded your end of the conversation differently then you would have received an entirely different response - perhaps something like 'I'm an insomniac and I'm feeling really low tonight, I'd like to chat about how other insomniacs cope in this situation'. It's an open statement that gives her more ways to respond without revealing anything personal about herself. "

yes i said im an insomniac and would like a conversation.. and asked if she was... dyslexic ... totally misunderstood

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

"

You think that someone who volunteers with the Samaritans is evidence that there's no humanity in the world?

It read like a prank call to me, too. And I'm not neurotypical.

over a year ago

"I know someone that volunteers for the Samaritans. Unfortunately they have to deal with a lot of prank calls....and sadly even more calls where someone just wants to have a wank

They do not give any personal information out. What you did is ask outright for her to reveal personal information. And then just repeat that same request for said personal information. I'm sorry that you're feeling low, but I'm sure that if you'd worded your end of the conversation differently then you would have received an entirely different response - perhaps something like 'I'm an insomniac and I'm feeling really low tonight, I'd like to chat about how other insomniacs cope in this situation'. It's an open statement that gives her more ways to respond without revealing anything personal about herself. yes i said im an insomniac and would like a conversation.. and asked if she was... dyslexic ... totally misunderstood"

They're not allowed to emphasize I think. Just listen & give blithe advice

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

The samaritans are there to listen to you.

From their website:

"e listen to you and help you talk through your concerns, worries and troubles.

We'll focus on your thoughts and feelings, and may ask questions to help you explore how you feel.

We won't make decisions for you, our advice or opinions are not important for the call."

They are there to listen not judge, they're aren't there for a conversation or to talk about themselves.

By *issC_UseMeWoman
over a year ago

London & South Coast

[Removed by poster at 15/02/23 15:24:59]

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

You think that someone who volunteers with the Samaritans is evidence that there's no humanity in the world?

It read like a prank call to me, too. And I'm not neurotypical."

There is a very wide spectrum though!

It reads to me like the op was asking for help in his own way and I am neurotypical

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"

Ring. Ring. Ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring. at this point i thought shall I just jump

So hang on !, if i was standing on this bridge, your response to me would be.. i think im going to have to but the phone dwn.

"

I've snipped these 2 comments from yoyr original post.

OP of you are truly feeling like this, call the samaritans ajd tell them. Present to A&E and tell them you felt suicidal. Call 99. Call CALM. Call your local NHS mental health team's crisis team.

There are a lot of people who will help you if you feel like you have no hope, but you need to be honest with how you feel when you call them. If yiu feel like or are on danger of jumping off a bridge don't start a conversation about the call handler, be brave however scary it might be ahd tell them

over a year ago

Op please seek professional help.

We all need help at times.

T

over a year ago

Are you being serious?

All the person on the other end of the phone needed to do was engage, even just for a moment to make that person feel like they matter in that moment.

I would imagine many people who ring in who are suicidal and at breaking point don't make much sense, or maybe they are completely intoxicated or their head is so fucking blank words can't come. If all the person helping can do is repeat WE ARE HERE TO HELP then we really are fucked. I'd hope that's not standard procedure.

What a horrible read to see how you're all jumping on the OP as if he was in the wrong.

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

It reads to me like the op was asking for help in his own way and I am neurotypical"

this person gets it...

In my own way.

In my head how i see things

She jumped to a conclusion

Thought it was a prank call

No I wasn't tossing myself off

She assumed as I was a man ( is she sexist)

That i wasnt beening serious

I didn't swear at her

I Didn't Raise My Voice

I said I'm an insomniac I'd like to have a chat.. are you an insomniac..

From that.... well.. i wont be calling anyone from now on

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

It reads to me like the op was asking for help in his own way and I am neurotypical this person gets it...

In my own way.

I didn't swear at her

I Didn't Raise My Voice

From that.... well.. i wont be calling anyone from now on"

Sending hugs OP. Can you reach out to someone in real life for a chat?

over a year ago

"Are you being serious?

All the person on the other end of the phone needed to do was engage, even just for a moment to make that person feel like they matter in that moment.

I would imagine many people who ring in who are suicidal and at breaking point don't make much sense, or maybe they are completely intoxicated or their head is so fucking blank words can't come. If all the person helping can do is repeat WE ARE HERE TO HELP then we really are fucked. I'd hope that's not standard procedure.

What a horrible read to see how you're all jumping on the OP as if he was in the wrong."

.. i know right !.. all those people.. all I did was ask a question.. one question.. to a volunteer.. someone that is supposed to help.. chosen to help.. unpaid... what chance do we take.. from the people we do have to pay.... humanity in this world is lost now... I only wish the nothinginess would come sooner

over a year ago

"Are you being serious?

What a horrible read to see how you're all jumping on the OP as if he was in the wrong... i know right !.. all those people.. all I did was ask a question.. one question.. to a volunteer.. someone that is supposed to help.. chosen to help.. unpaid... what chance do we take.. from the people we do have to pay.... humanity in this world is lost now... I only wish the nothinginess would come sooner"

Nah trust me that can not be right. I don't know if my brother made any calls in his last moments but if he did and that's the response he got I'd be fucking devastated.

It's an amazing thing that these people volunteer but there has to be more than something so cold and robotic.

I can promise you there's lots of good in this world and people that will help you when you're low. It's so fucking hard some days but life is worth living, you'll find so much beauty if you look for it. Please take care of yourself lovely. X

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

It reads to me like the op was asking for help in his own way and I am neurotypical this person gets it...

In my own way.

I didn't swear at her

I Didn't Raise My Voice

over a year ago

"Are you being serious?

What a horrible read to see how you're all jumping on the OP as if he was in the wrong... i know right !.. all those people.. all I did was ask a question.. one question.. to a volunteer.. someone that is supposed to help.. chosen to help.. unpaid... what chance do we take.. from the people we do have to pay.... humanity in this world is lost now... I only wish the nothinginess would come sooner

Nah trust me that can not be right. I don't know if my brother made any calls in his last moments but if he did and that's the response he got I'd be fucking devastated.

It's an amazing thing that these people volunteer but there has to be more than something so cold and robotic.

I can promise you there's lots of good in this world and people that will help you when you're low. It's so fucking hard some days but life is worth living, you'll find so much beauty if you look for it. Please take care of yourself lovely. X"

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

I am sorry that the volunteer you spoke to was obviously not very empathetic or engaging. Maybe she had already had quite a few “prank” calls that evening.

However, unless things have vastly changed since I volunteered, they are most definitely not allowed to hang up! Even with sex pest callers, we could only put the phone on the desk.

Please don’t assume that every volunteer will be the same

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

In my own way.

I didn't swear at her

I Didn't Raise My Voice

Please don't give up. I got great support from saneline though they are only open until 10pm.

I also had a bad experience with the Samaritans.

SANEline is open between 4pm to 10pm, 365 days a yearCall 0300 304 7000

over a year ago

"True story !!!!!!

Feeling low....

Last night

Well every night really.

So i did as everyone says, reach out talk to someone. Hard !

Samaritans.. 116123

So i called

Ring. Ring. Ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring. at this point i thought shall i just jump.

Ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.ring.. 6m 21sec.. an answer

Hello we're the Samaritans we here to listen !

Hi.hey.hello.you. coz i boring

Hey, we're the Samaritans here to listen !

Are you an insomniac ?

Hi. We're the Samaritans hear to listen

So are you an insomnia ?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say

Are you a insomnia ?

Samaritans where to listen

So are u a insomniac ?

Im not sure what yr saying ?

I'm asking if you're an insomniac Id like to have a conversation. ?

Yes we're the Samaritans hear to listen

Well obviously yr not

Yes we the Samaritans hear to listen

Well obviously you're not.. I have asked if you were an insomniac and id like a conversation.. 2 ways ???.. so obviously you're not listening to me.

Yes we're the Samaritans here to listen

Well obviously you're not I'd like a conversation...

I think I'm going to have to put the phone down on sir

What.

All i asked wss for a conversation

Yes well sir

Hello

Hi

Anybody thrre

Now i live under the bridge..

True ! Story !!!!!... she hanged up on ME

"

Eh?

over a year ago

"Are you being serious?

What a horrible read to see how you're all jumping on the OP as if he was in the wrong... i know right !.. all those people.. all I did was ask a question.. one question.. to a volunteer.. someone that is supposed to help.. chosen to help.. unpaid... what chance do we take.. from the people we do have to pay.... humanity in this world is lost now... I only wish the nothinginess would come sooner

I can promise you there's lots of good in this world and people that will help you when you're low. It's so fucking hard some days but life is worth living, you'll find so much beauty if you look for it. Please take care of yourself lovely. X"

thank you.. have a good day yrself. T.c x

over a year ago

"I am sorry that the volunteer you spoke to was obviously not very empathetic or engaging. Maybe she had already had quite a few “prank” calls that evening.

However, unless things have vastly changed since I volunteered, they are most definitely not allowed to hang up! Even with sex pest callers, we could only put the phone on the desk.

Please don’t assume that every volunteer will be the same "

What I have written on here has been 100-percent the truth so help me god.. one question and ask to have a conversation.. I didn't swear Didn't Raise My Voice wasn't rude.. she hanged up.. or ill swear to the other person.. or float around in the nothinginess when I find it

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

In my own way.

I didn't swear at her

I Didn't Raise My Voice

Please don't give up. I got great support from saneline though they are only open until 10pm.

SANEline is open between 4pm to 10pm, 365 days a yearCall 0300 304 7000"

You did also.. pm me ? Tell me what happen .ta

over a year ago

Was not a prank call

But maybe in my head

When someone say to me

We hear to listen

And u ask 1 question

Are you in insomnia ?

To start a conversation

And they don't listen

I was polite as aways

In my own way.

I didn't swear at her

I Didn't Raise My Voice

SANEline is open between 4pm to 10pm, 365 days a yearCall 0300 304 7000...

You did also.. pm me ? Tell me what happen .ta"

It was a long time ago but the person I spoke to wasn't very engaging or empathetic. I'm sure there are many good volunteers.

Post new Message to Thread