Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A weird one.

Jump to newest

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

Happy Sunday everyone,

This is not sex related but I wonder if anyone experiences this one like I do.

Ever since I was about 17/18 (30 now) I experience panic attack type things the night after a boozy session the night before.

This has had a major affect on how I deal with alcohol and I now rarely drink because these are so severe. Or if I do have a drink, it has to be on a Friday night so I can get the sleepless Saturday night out of the way due to these "attacks" and get a good rest Sunday ready for work on Monday.

Just a curious question as I've mentioned it to friends and nobody seems to experience this.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

I'd suggest a GP, therapist, or just not drinking.

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"I'd suggest a GP, therapist, or just not drinking."

I very rarely drink because of the repercussions.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

"I'd suggest a GP, therapist, or just not drinking.

I very rarely drink because of the repercussions."

But if abstaining completely isn't something you choose have you attempted one of the other two?

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

If you have just one or two drinks do you still get the attacks ?

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"I'd suggest a GP, therapist, or just not drinking.

I very rarely drink because of the repercussions.

But if abstaining completely isn't something you choose have you attempted one of the other two?"

I did mention what was happening to a doctor while seeing them regarding another matter years ago. The doctor sniggered and said just don't drink. Never had therapy either for this.

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"If you have just one or two drinks do you still get the attacks ?"

No. This only happens if I've had a typical night out. Doesn't happen if I just have a couple.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It's purely down to the drink - drink is a depressant

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
over a year ago

North West

I'm not a medical person, but I'd suggest your body is sending you a really clear signal its not happy with the booze.

Good on you for cutting down..

As a reformed heavy drinker, now sober person. I recommend not drinking.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I don't sleep well if I've had more than two drinks. The panic attack thing is probably the way alcohol affects you as it's leaving your system, like a withdrawal thing. If you're worried see a doctor as and when that becomes a possibility (probably 2025 if you book now )

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I sometimes get panic attacks after drinking, I just don’t drink, about once a year if that. I’d speak to your Gp

Mrs

By *ornypair300Couple
over a year ago

scottish borders

Mr here

Can relate to what your saying as I used to drink and party like most then started getting similar to what your describing , now I don’t drink at all and can say there are some good alco free beers ect out there . My anxiety attacks around drinking stopped completely when I stopped drinking and having an alcohol free stops people asking “why you not drinking” as they see you with a “beer”

Might be different for you but always worth a try as it’s basically your body saying it needs a timeout

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"I sometimes get panic attacks after drinking, I just don’t drink, about once a year if that. I’d speak to your Gp

Mrs"

Ahhh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. My sleep is pretty weird anyway, I get regular sleep paralysis, I don't know if there is some kind of link...

By *atfuckerbristolMan
over a year ago

Wells

There’s a fairly well-established link between alcohol consumption and anxiety. The initial calming effect of alcohol is followed by a spike in anxiety relating to changes in brain chemistry which can trigger the 'fight or flight' response - and thus feelings of unease or even panic.

Laying off the booze is likely the best policy, but this might mean there is some underlying anxiety which it's worth discussing with someone.

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"I don't sleep well if I've had more than two drinks. The panic attack thing is probably the way alcohol affects you as it's leaving your system, like a withdrawal thing. If you're worried see a doctor as and when that becomes a possibility (probably 2025 if you book now ) "

Haha and it'll be winter '25 at that!

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"If you have just one or two drinks do you still get the attacks ?

No. This only happens if I've had a typical night out. Doesn't happen if I just have a couple. "

obviously you had an experience at some point where you got d*unk then found out the next day you did or said something or you was worried about it and it's triggered a fight or flight response causing anxiety.

Also what do you drink the day after the boozing??

Are you loading up on caffeine drinks that could then be causing the issue?

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"There’s a fairly well-established link between alcohol consumption and anxiety. The initial calming effect of alcohol is followed by a spike in anxiety relating to changes in brain chemistry which can trigger the 'fight or flight' response - and thus feelings of unease or even panic.

Laying off the booze is likely the best policy, but this might mean there is some underlying anxiety which it's worth discussing with someone. "

Ahhh, this makes sense... I am on depression medication, and I'm also on propanalol for migraines. Maybe this is all linked?

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"If you have just one or two drinks do you still get the attacks ?

No. This only happens if I've had a typical night out. Doesn't happen if I just have a couple. obviously you had an experience at some point where you got d*unk then found out the next day you did or said something or you was worried about it and it's triggered a fight or flight response causing anxiety.

Also what do you drink the day after the boozing??

Are you loading up on caffeine drinks that could then be causing the issue?

"

I drink a lot of fizzy water mixed with cordial so nothing caffeine related.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

" I am on depression medication, and I'm also on propanalol for migraines. Maybe this is all linked? "

I am no doctor but I'm guessing the answer is yes !

By *atfuckerbristolMan
over a year ago

Wells

Almost certainly. Alcohol doesn’t play nicely with SSRIs like citalopram, sertraline or SNRIs like venlafaxine. No experience of others but I’m sure it’s similar.

By *owtOnTop OP   Man
over a year ago

leeds

"Almost certainly. Alcohol doesn’t play nicely with SSRIs like citalopram, sertraline or SNRIs like venlafaxine. No experience of others but I’m sure it’s similar. "

I've had these attacks after alcohol long before the medication though...

Post new Message to Thread