Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How do you say it?

Jump to newest

By *aitonel OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

Was chatting with my brother earlier and I noticed something that we say/word/phrase differently when talking to each other.

When talking about our mum, he will often say "my mum" but I simply say "mum". So for context!

I was taking her shopping, and he asked "are you taking my mum shopping" were as I would say "are you taking mum shopping".

How do you phrase it!?

Also are there any things your siblings say that is different to how you say it?

Sorry to all the only childs out there!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

This was a massive problem with my half brothers and sisters when we were younger. They hated the fact I said “my dad” but that’s just how I talk.

over a year ago

Is he the eldest? My sister does this, I always take a pause, correct her and say 'our mum' or 'our dad'. It used to annoy me, now I just think she's extremely insecure

over a year ago

..in contrast, i say "me mum"...which now looking at it written down looks silly.

over a year ago

I'd say "mum" if talking to siblings.

I'd say "my mum" is talking to anyone else.

I don't pronounce my 'H's properly (area we are in) and all my siblings do, so sometimes that can get a little confusing. 'usband 'ates it but I got it from 'is family.

over a year ago

One of my children calls me mum when we're together, but refers to me as mam when she talks to friends.

By *aitonel OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"This was a massive problem with my half brothers and sisters when we were younger. They hated the fact I said “my dad” but that’s just how I talk."

I don't hate it, as I know he doesn't mean anything negative or "possessive" just a bit funny

By *aitonel OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Is he the eldest? My sister does this, I always take a pause, correct her and say 'our mum' or 'our dad'. It used to annoy me, now I just think she's extremely insecure"

Nope, younger. As I say I know he is not saying it in a possessive way.

By *aitonel OP   Man
over a year ago

Liverpool

"..in contrast, i say "me mum"...which now looking at it written down looks silly."

Yeah "me mum" but as you say in text looks weird

over a year ago

I called my Mum 'Mum' or 'Mama' my brothers always called her 'Mother'

She left us when I was little, so I guess it hit them harder than me...and that was why. The only time it really upset me was when she died and my Brothers insisted on her being referred to as 'Mother' in her obituary, it just seemed so cold to me and I was upset because that was the last thing they could of done for her and for me

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I just used to say "mum" and I do say "dad".

Post new Message to Thread