Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Aggressively altruistic

Jump to newest

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

Last night, post drinking and dancing, I watched a friend running around, tidying up trolleys that had been left haphazardly. It occurred to me that this was one of the most aggressive acts of social conscience and altruism that I’ve seen.

Have you ever seen such acts or perpetrated ones yourself?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Ha! I do this sometimes but I'm not sure it's quite altruism. In part it's because I've worked in hospitality and know how difficult it can be. In part it's because I dislike chaos around me.

The Manchester social in the summer, the glasses were everywhere over the bar, the bar staff were clearly short staffed and I thought I'd help out by collecting them all and putting them in the right place. Also meant it was easier for people to order their drinks without worrying about knocking over the dregs from another glass. Someone bought me a tequila shot after watching me do it which was sweet but not needed. I was fuelled by enough tequila to do it and not care.

By *ea monkey OP   Man
over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

"Ha! I do this sometimes but I'm not sure it's quite altruism. In part it's because I've worked in hospitality and know how difficult it can be. In part it's because I dislike chaos around me.

The Manchester social in the summer, the glasses were everywhere over the bar, the bar staff were clearly short staffed and I thought I'd help out by collecting them all and putting them in the right place. Also meant it was easier for people to order their drinks without worrying about knocking over the dregs from another glass. Someone bought me a tequila shot after watching me do it which was sweet but not needed. I was fuelled by enough tequila to do it and not care. "

Maybe not altruism but the alliteration was too much to pass up

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

One of you is the most readable poster on here

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

I grew up in pubs, so clearing glasses is just an inbuilt response.

I'm usually someone that if something needs doing and no one else is sorting it, then I'll end up getting stuck in.

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

I would always help out where needed OP. It’s just something that’s inbuilt

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

"One of you is the most readable poster on here "

Definitely Tea. I waffle on far too much to resemble readable qualities.

over a year ago

"One of you is the most readable poster on here

Definitely Tea. I waffle on far too much to resemble readable qualities. "

Not a bad guess in a 50/50

Have another try

over a year ago

"Last night, post drinking and dancing, I watched a friend running around, tidying up trolleys that had been left haphazardly. It occurred to me that this was one of the most aggressive acts of social conscience and altruism that I’ve seen.

Have you ever seen such acts or perpetrated ones yourself? "

Aggressive tidying, yes. Some people are just so unaware of the shit they leave behind. Or they don't care.

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I'm more a sloth like tidy upper than a whirling dervish

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

Last night following a social, during the horologium of ØØ.ØØhours, I gave two erstwhile Fabbers of the Nøcturnal Fellowship a tour around Mayfair, Park Lane and Piccadilly.

They ooh'd and aah'd at the bright lights and big city before I swiftly and unceremoniously dumped them at Bond Street Station.

My altruism and benevolence only went so far. (And I was yearning to get home for a sit-down wee!)

Would that meet with your approval,

oh •Chai Minkey•...?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

When I return my trolley after putting the shopping in the vehicle, I always collect up any stray trolleys along the way and put them back.

The supermarket have obviously got fed up of having to retrieve them as I now see they have the pound coin chain locks on them now, so you have to take it back to the trolley park to get your pound out.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"One of you is the most readable poster on here "

Is it the one with the pretty face and the big tits ?

over a year ago

I often stack all the glasses and cutlery when in a cafe or restaurant.

I pick stuff of supermarket floors and put it back on the shelf too.

It never occurred to me that this is weird?..

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I'm more a sloth like tidy upper than a whirling dervish "

Here's a tip ..... I sloth clean at times too ..

I have a pack of lemon wipes behind the t.v.... When im listening to the news or sommat I don't need to look at. I wipe the t.v over , the t.v. table and the fireplace surround n hearth.

FAB Tip of the day. No charge

over a year ago

Is it the one with the pretty face and the big tits ?"

I'd only noticed the words but now you mention it

over a year ago

But it's all about leagues granny so I'll just keep reading the posts.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Tidying up to help others out? Not anything other than being a human is it?

over a year ago

"Tidying up to help others out? Not anything other than being a human is it? "

If that's your definition of being human then there's not many about.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Tidying up to help others out? Not anything other than being a human is it?

If that's your definition of being human then there's not many about. "

Fewer and fewer perhaps. But don't lose the faith! We can do it. It's our world. And better to be in if its a bit less rubbishy

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Tidying up to help others out? Not anything other than being a human is it? "

Bloody Hell BFM .... have you taken a naivety pill ?

The rubbish strewn around streets here ( shopping areas and bin days ) is bloody astronomical ....

Messing things up seems to be more about being a human being

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I must admit that I can't get over how people can spill things and not see how important it is to clear it up quickly.

I was at a wake before Xmas when a drink was spilled in a bump.... everyone was lovely about it .... everyone apologised.... everyone walked off with the drink to sit at a table.

I knew that someone would go slipping and sliding at any moment in a packed hall so I went to the very busy bar staff and got a paper roll......

Not my mess but definitely my problem, my conscience...... I cleaned it up but im sure it was as selfish as it was altruistic. I had ME in mind mostly.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Tidying up to help others out? Not anything other than being a human is it?

Bloody Hell BFM .... have you taken a naivety pill ?

The rubbish strewn around streets here ( shopping areas and bin days ) is bloody astronomical ....

Messing things up seems to be more about being a human being"

I don't get out much... But my living room is free from litter... Mostly... Apart from after the pubs close. Then it's all tinnies and kebab wrappers.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"Last night, post drinking and dancing, I watched a friend running around, tidying up trolleys that had been left haphazardly. It occurred to me that this was one of the most aggressive acts of social conscience and altruism that I’ve seen.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have one particular friend who (in MY house where I am hosting) starts clearing up plates when people literally just had their last piece of dessert.

I have asked her not to on a number of occasions, I have even been blunt and told her she sort of ruins the party atmosphere when bringing in the reality of tidying up but she does not seem capable of taking this on board.

She is a decent person and a good friend but this habit irritates me enormously. I am thinking it is borne out of a false, hypervigilant sense of duty and altruism.

To me it feels like passive aggression though.

Thoughts?

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

For women...... Yes

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have one particular friend who (in MY house where I am hosting) starts clearing up plates when people literally just had their last piece of dessert.

I have asked her not to on a number of occasions, I have even been blunt and told her she sort of ruins the party atmosphere when bringing in the reality of tidying up but she does not seem capable of taking this on board.

She is a decent person and a good friend but this habit irritates me enormously. I am thinking it is borne out of a false, hypervigilant sense of duty and altruism.

Thoughts? "

Could be a bit ocd?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

That's fish for dyslexics

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thoughts?

Could be a bit ocd? "

I think you cold be right but her home is not meticulously tidy or clean - so it kind of feels more like this hyper sense of duty towards everybody?

For clarity as Granny mentioned on this thread, a spillage is different and needs cleaning up immediately for obvious reasons but I am talking about a tidying that I am more than happy to do on my own after everybody has left and had a good time.

The manic need to clear up really does ruin what is usually a comfy, cosy and fun atmosphere.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"That's fish for dyslexics"

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"That's fish for dyslexics"
overly confident dyslexic

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Thoughts?

Could be a bit ocd?

I think you cold be right but her home is not meticulously tidy or clean - so it kind of feels more like this hyper sense of duty towards everybody?

For clarity as Granny mentioned on this thread, a spillage is different and needs cleaning up immediately for obvious reasons but I am talking about a tidying that I am more than happy to do on my own after everybody has left and had a good time.

The manic need to clear up really does ruin what is usually a comfy, cosy and fun atmosphere. "

I know what you mean... A friend I do odd jobs for is the same... I put down a spanner after use and when I turn round to pick it up again its gone missing... Not only has it gone but its already been out back in the cupboard under the stairs... To say it's frustrating is an under statement.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Thoughts? "

Okay. I've read it twice and admittedly I don't know either of you, the depth of your friendship or your history, so based only on the information above ( and fully holding the belief that you know what you think about the situation anyway ) here's my two penneth.

I'm assuming you are both pretty stable. ( that might be my first mistake )

I don't see it as passive aggressive. Yes she has a desire to clear the plates and I could make many possible reasons and maybe never arrive at the true conclusion so all I have at the moment is .....

She has a desire to clear the plates ASAP

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

You've asked her not to before.

She still does.

Working on that - It's not passive aggression.

It's very active. She gets up after being asked not to and takes the lead in your home.

It may not be aggressive at all as you may not have made yourself clear and made a wishy washy statement about clearing plates.

So ... make yourself more clear is one possibility. After that ...

over a year ago

When the shopping baskets are all in a pile at the tills because people cant flip a handle back, I have to re arrange them so they all stack neatly and can be kicked under the end of the conveyor out the way.

By *amantMan
over a year ago

Alnmouth

Lost my wallet at a gig in London, it had all the cash in it I had for the weekend. £200 about 10 years ago. My girlfriend at the time was remarkably understanding and got me to submit a lost possession thing at the venue website a couple of days later. A week passes and I get an email back saying they had it. As I was in Newcastle, I couldn't just hop down at short notice, they understood completely and posted it to me and blankly refused to accept postage for it. Everything was there, down to the last pound. My remarkable naivety had gone completely unpunished and I'd learned someone will always give you a reason to have faith in humanity, even in the least expected circumstances.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Generally when out, no it's not something I do.

In a friend's place it's something I try really hard not to do it. It would piss me off, if someone did it in my place

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Lost my wallet at a gig in London, it had all the cash in it I had for the weekend. £200 about 10 years ago. My girlfriend at the time was remarkably understanding and got me to submit a lost possession thing at the venue website a couple of days later. A week passes and I get an email back saying they had it. As I was in Newcastle, I couldn't just hop down at short notice, they understood completely and posted it to me and blankly refused to accept postage for it. Everything was there, down to the last pound. My remarkable naivety had gone completely unpunished and I'd learned someone will always give you a reason to have faith in humanity, even in the least expected circumstances. "
yes agreed

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thoughts?

Okay. I've read it twice and admittedly I don't know either of you, the depth of your friendship or your history, so based only on the information above ( and fully holding the belief that you know what you think about the situation anyway ) here's my two penneth.

I don't see it as passive aggressive. Yes she has a desire to clear the plates and I could make many possible reasons and maybe never arrive at the true conclusion so all I have at the moment is .....

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

It's very active. She gets up after being asked not to and takes the lead in your home.

It may not be aggressive at all as you may not have made yourself clear and made a wishy washy statement about clearing plates.

So ... make yourself more clear is one possibility. After that ... "

Granted, perhaps stating that it causes an atmosphere of almost unrest is not clear enough, perhaps her desire to clear up is just stronger than hearing that message and respecting my wish (I am not being sarcastic here btw.)

We have been good friends for over 25 years ...

Maybe she just cannot help herself out of an overwhelming sense of duty (actually, this would fit the general personality)

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Oh, I thought he meant Meli.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Oh, I thought he meant Meli."

Oh Bad Nanna ...... tsk

May Meli bite you on the buttocks.

By *oan of DArcCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

......................... ...

Haha..very savvy observation! I think there's a difference between genuinely wanting to help and hating helping but wanting to appear helpful..if that makes sense

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

Granted, perhaps stating that it causes an atmosphere of almost unrest is not clear enough, perhaps her desire to clear up is just stronger than hearing that message and respecting my wish (I am not being sarcastic here btw.)

Maybe she just cannot help herself out of an overwhelming sense of duty (actually, this would fit the general personality)"

It didn't sound sarky. It makes perfect sense.

I'd let her clear the plates but tell her not to clear them until you tip the wink .......

I've been in a position where i'd rather clear plates than listen to the clap trap around the table.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

For those of you thinking someone tidying up or putting things in their right place, have you considered the person doing can't help themselves as they need to see the area clear, or random things put into the correct places?

Sometimes we feel compelled to straighten up the items placed around the checkout, or om shelves as we wait our turn.

Or, see trolleys lying around that need to be put together, because they are lonely

I wish someone would come and passive aggressively clean my kitchen today. Someone had a little soirée in there last night and has left me to clear up

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

"For those of you thinking someone tidying up or putting things in their right place, have you considered the person doing can't help themselves as they need to see the area clear, or random things put into the correct places?

Sometimes we feel compelled to straighten up the items placed around the checkout, or om shelves as we wait our turn.

Or, see trolleys lying around that need to be put together, because they are lonely

I wish someone would come and passive aggressively clean my kitchen today. Someone had a little soirée in there last night and has left me to clear up "

Priceless

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

Maybe she just cannot help herself out of an overwhelming sense of duty (actually, this would fit the general personality)

I'd let her clear the plates but tell her not to clear them until you tip the wink .......

I've been in a position where i'd rather clear plates than listen to the clap trap around the table. "

If someone has been kind enough to cook me dinner, the least I can do is clear the plates so we can chat shit comfortably while we finish our drinks.

I like it when staff clear the plates in a restaurant so we can have our drinks on a nice, clean table.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"For those of you thinking someone tidying up or putting things in their right place, have you considered the person doing can't help themselves as they need to see the area clear, or random things put into the correct places?

I wish someone would come and passive aggressively clean my kitchen today. Someone had a little soirée in there last night and has left me to clear up "

Same here but it was me that soiree'd

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I've been in a position where i'd rather clear plates than listen to the clap trap around the table. "

Never thought of that

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I've been in a position where i'd rather clear plates than listen to the clap trap around the table.

If someone has been kind enough to cook me dinner, the least I can do is clear the plates so we can chat shit comfortably while we finish our drinks.

I like it when staff clear the plates in a restaurant so we can have our drinks on a nice, clean table. "

Nanna .... ???? Shit comfortably ..... tsk

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Oh, I thought he meant Meli.

Oh Bad Nanna ...... tsk

May Meli bite you on the buttocks. "

Good luck with that...my arse is huge.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I like it when staff clear the plates in a restaurant so we can have our drinks on a nice, clean table. "

I totally agree with the offer and the act of helping. I just find her unstoppable immediacy mostly ruins the end of a good night.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I like it when staff clear the plates in a restaurant so we can have our drinks on a nice, clean table.

Nanna .... ???? Shit comfortably ..... tsk "

Yea, no one wants to shit with plates all over the place

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I totally agree with the offer and the act of helping. I just find her unstoppable immediacy mostly ruins the end of a good night. "

What about grabbing the plates from her, putting your face against hers and growling "*Insert name*... leave...the...fucking...plates...alone"?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

If it helps at all .....

I feed a good friend every Sunday evening. I cook and then he offers to clear ....

I don't want to clear as I want to sit, converse..... and what evers.

It isn't what ensues after ...... Me going No leave it ! No! No! and him going Oh yes..... yes ... you cooked and I don't want you moaning about the dishes that gets me so much as the ritual of it .... one of us is going to have to back off.

over a year ago

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I totally agree with the offer and the act of helping. I just find her unstoppable immediacy mostly ruins the end of a good night.

What about grabbing the plates from her, putting your face against hers and growling "*Insert name*... leave...the...fucking...plates...alone"? "

This

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

I totally agree with the offer and the act of helping. I just find her unstoppable immediacy mostly ruins the end of a good night. "

I think we all have a friend or two who have an almost pathological trait like this. They literally cannot help themselves.

By *amantMan
over a year ago

Alnmouth

"If it helps at all .....

I feed a good friend every Sunday evening. I cook and then he offers to clear ....

It isn't what ensues after ...... Me going No leave it ! No! No! and him going Oh yes..... yes ... you cooked and I don't want you moaning about the dishes that gets me so much as the ritual of it .... one of us is going to have to back off. "

I am that person except I only do it if I feel an awkward pause. Usually conversation flows so freely, there's no hurry. As soon as that pause happens though, I have to help. I'm not the cook so I feel I have to do something. I can't not do it.

over a year ago

People pleasers - does anyone actually like people pleasers?!

By *onMashMan
over a year ago

Uttoxeter

"Last night following a social, during the horologium of ØØ.ØØhours, I gave two erstwhile Fabbers of the Nøcturnal Fellowship a tour around Mayfair, Park Lane and Piccadilly.

They ooh'd and aah'd at the bright lights and big city before I swiftly and unceremoniously dumped them at Bond Street Station.

My altruism and benevolence only went so far. (And I was yearning to get home for a sit-down wee!)

Would that meet with your approval,

oh •Chai Minkey•...?"

Brilliant

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

So ... make yourself more clear is one possibility. After that ... "

Put signs up. Get a QI klaxon that you press when her hand errs near a plate...

over a year ago

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

Put signs up. Get a QI klaxon that you press when her hand errs near a plate... "

Or get a butler in

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"If it helps at all .....

It isn't what ensues after ...... Me going No leave it ! No! No! and him going Oh yes..... yes ... you cooked and I don't want you moaning about the dishes that gets me so much as the ritual of it .... one of us is going to have to back off. "

Jump on his cock the minute you finish dessert.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

Put signs up. Get a QI klaxon that you press when her hand errs near a plate...

Or get a butler in"

I know what you're thinking,. You're thinking "Did she already tell me six times or only five?" Now to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement. But being this is a 30cm pampered chef cast iron pan, the most powerful frying pan in the world and will knock your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya?

over a year ago

"People pleasers - does anyone actually like people pleasers?!"

No!

Yes!

Hang on what's the right answer?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"People pleasers - does anyone actually like people pleasers?!

No!

Yes!

Hang on what's the right answer?

"

The people pleasers paradox

over a year ago

"People pleasers - does anyone actually like people pleasers?!

No!

Yes!

Hang on what's the right answer?"

Follow her heart.

over a year ago

It's a no from me! They're usually doing *favours* you've not asked for and expect *payback* at some point or another, or they're simply try-hards which also gives me the ick

By *affeine DuskMan
over a year ago

Caerphilly

Fuckin' don't get me started on this, Tea babe:

I once met this lad, he was a top lad really, kinda looked like that fella from the film Kingpin which is like a prequel to The Big Lebowski, anyway nice looking fella, really lovely wife, and they were having a rough time, y'know?

So I gave them a million dollars. Straight up. No catch.

I said to them, "here are, have a million dollars" and they were like "noooo we caaaaan't take your money mister handsomeman nooooo" and I was like "That's not my name, take the cash you bellends"

This went on for 3 months. Three fuckin' months!

By the end of it I was like "Look you dicks, you're having this money or I will put you in The Hunger Games or something" and they were like "FINE but you have to sleep with the missus no takebacksies", so begrudgingly I did, except not very begrudgingly.

Then they used the cash to make a movie about it all, made me look like a right dick but also like Robert Redford so fair's fair on that, anyway nice lad for a cuck, lovely dong on him to be fair.

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Aww you think I've got a pretty face Granny! Yep, that's all I'm taking from this.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"Fuckin' don't get me started on this, Tea babe:

I once met this lad, he was a top lad really, kinda looked like that fella from the film Kingpin which is like a prequel to The Big Lebowski, anyway nice looking fella, really lovely wife, and they were having a rough time, y'know?

So I gave them a million dollars. Straight up. No catch.

I said to them, "here are, have a million dollars" and they were like "noooo we caaaaan't take your money mister handsomeman nooooo" and I was like "That's not my name, take the cash you bellends"

This went on for 3 months. Three fuckin' months!

By the end of it I was like "Look you dicks, you're having this money or I will put you in The Hunger Games or something" and they were like "FINE but you have to sleep with the missus no takebacksies", so begrudgingly I did, except not very begrudgingly.

Then they used the cash to make a movie about it all, made me look like a right dick but also like Robert Redford so fair's fair on that, anyway nice lad for a cuck, lovely dong on him to be fair. "

Brilliant!!

There's a subtle allegorical reference to this analogy.

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Thoughts?

YOU don't want her to.

It's your house.

She still does.

What about grabbing the plates from her, putting your face against hers and growling "*Insert name*... leave...the...fucking...plates...alone"? "

I have not tried that one yet...

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

Aww you think I've got a pretty face Granny! Yep, that's all I'm taking from this. "

I like that approach!!!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Aww you think I've got a pretty face Granny! Yep, that's all I'm taking from this. "

I thought he was talking to tea Meli

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I sometimes participate in sacrificial giving / generosity , but not due to conscience, and try to keep it as private as possible. When I see public displays of altruism I always wonder about the real motives - guilt , insecurity, wanting to be liked etc

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

[Removed by poster at 06/02/23 00:55:07]

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I remove unwanted wild plants in gardens, when I'm in them .

Post new Message to Thread