Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Price of groceries

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What product in the supermarket has surprised you recently when you've seen the price?

Mine is coffee £6.00 for a jar of instant coffee

Can't believe in general how much everything's gone up but this really shocked me

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *reamyclottedcreamWoman
over a year ago

Helston... or St Awful?...

Yes, i was moaning about this just last week. Plus a cheap asda 500g pasta was 50p not long ago, now it's 90p.... I cried a little.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Lurpak is the correct answer to this question.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Bagged salad, the price of that has risen a lot

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

"What product in the supermarket has surprised you recently when you've seen the price?

Can't believe in general how much everything's gone up but this really shocked me"

Big jar. £1.84 at Aldi. Lasts me a week and I drink a LOT of coffee.

A

over a year ago

Cheese! You used to be able to buy it for just over a pound. Now if you want the good stuff like me, applewood slices, it's £2.95! Absolutely shocking x

over a year ago

"Bagged salad, the price of that has risen a lot"

I’m really tempted to search for bagged salad on urban dictionary.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I don't know.

I can't think of anything I knew the price of before everything went up.

That's bad, because I should know.

Lately my son has been doing the shopping though and bought different bread because it was cheaper.

over a year ago

"What product in the supermarket has surprised you recently when you've seen the price?

Can't believe in general how much everything's gone up but this really shocked me

Big jar. £1.84 at Aldi. Lasts me a week and I drink a LOT of coffee.

A"

I normally get aldi but had run out and sainsburys is downstairs from me, needs must!

over a year ago

"Cheese! You used to be able to buy it for just over a pound. Now if you want the good stuff like me, applewood slices, it's £2.95! Absolutely shocking x"

Yep cheese is so expensive, but I love cheese

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Bagged salad, the price of that has risen a lot"

I'm really wary of buying that as I read somewhere that most of it has listeria or salmonella bugs in. I can't think what the name for them is, so I used bugs.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Bagged salad, the price of that has risen a lot

I’m really tempted to search for bagged salad on urban dictionary."

I'm sure there'd be something. If not maybe we should get it going

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm really wary of buying that as I read somewhere that most of it has listeria or salmonella bugs in. I can't think what the name for them is, so I used bugs."

It's not for us to eat, it's for my tortoise who seems to prefer M and S or Sainsbury's

over a year ago

Can't believe in general how much everything's gone up but this really shocked me"

Kennco decaf is almost €10 for a 200g jar. Almost double the price of the normal blend.

over a year ago

£1.70 for a tin of vegetable soup

By *weetkitten65Woman
over a year ago

Halifax

Atora suet £3...

But at B&M £1.89..

By *weetkitten65Woman
over a year ago

Halifax

"£1.70 for a tin of vegetable soup "

Heniz?

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

I'm sure there'd be something. If not maybe we should get it going "

You're welcome!

"The act of jacking off into a girl's purse(unbeknownst to her) and then shaking it up to mingle with its contents."

A

over a year ago

I won't pay over 2.50 for chicken breasts i switch for a whole chicken and break it down to get five/six meals out of.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You're welcome!

"The act of jacking off into a girl's purse(unbeknownst to her) and then shaking it up to mingle with its contents."

A"

Dear god and all the saints in heaven...what next

By *onnie 90Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Last week I Can't Believe It's Not Butter was £1 at ASDA. This week it's £1.50. Same item at Morrisons £1.75! Scandalous.

over a year ago

You're welcome!

A

Dear god and all the saints in heaven...what next "

What was the price of this before the cost of living crisis?

over a year ago

"£1.70 for a tin of vegetable soup

Heniz?"

Yep.. didn't buy it.. buying the own brand stuff from now on.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

You're welcome!

A

Dear god and all the saints in heaven...what next

What was the price of this before the cost of living crisis?"

A new handbag and contents prior two new handbags, contents and feeling the sharp edge of my tongue post.

over a year ago

Eggs here.

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

Sainsburys own ready salted crisps they were 80p for a six pack ...now 1.30

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Fuck knows, its the helps job to buy the groceries!

over a year ago

1 tin of Garden peas 65p

over a year ago

We get milk and eggs delivered to our door every Tuesday. So we’re never short.

Buying from shop their own brand rice or pasta. And stock them up at least one spare packet. With meat I plan what do I will cook for week. And if there’s spare portion I save it up for work. Seen salad prices went up,well shocked.. cat food,litter is extra pound..well fuming. Instead of betting box I went for small cans 6 for 3.15

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

Tinned meat balls in gravy. We're between 60p to 80p depending on rollback. Now £1.20 a tin. My teenage boy eats 2 tins a week everyweek. He eats other stuff, but this is his goto on shopping day. And can manage them with his braces.

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

Oh, and Rabbit food, was £2.60, now £4.80 a bag.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Croissants. Almost double in price now but then most baked stuff have including bread.

over a year ago

A box of 2 M&S chocolate eclairs £6.00

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Nescafe Gold blend? Home bargains are floggin it for £5.50 at the moment. The cheap coffee war is well and truly over.

By *weetkitten65Woman
over a year ago

Halifax

Heniz?

Yep.. didn't buy it.. buying the own brand stuff from now on."

Asdas own brand soups are lovely especially the Lamd & Mint Hotpot Chunky one.

By *weetkitten65Woman
over a year ago

Halifax

Heniz?

Yep.. didn't buy it.. buying the own brand stuff from now on.

Asdas own brand soups are lovely especially the Lamd & Mint Hotpot Chunky one.

"

Lamb.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Although the state pension will increase by 10.1% in April, the true rate of food inflation is very much higher than that.

However, by going back to basics and avoiding ultra processed foods it is possible to cut costs.

Milk and cheese has risen in price, but I suspect some supermarkets are definitely price gouging.

Lidl, Aldi are going to benefit from the current inflationary climate as more citizens tighten their belts. The Lidl store that I visit is invariably packed, whereas the nearby Tesco is empty.

I eschew some brands that used to enjoy my loyalty.

I also bought a second and much larger Slow Cooker to cook and store soups and stews, that I make myself.

over a year ago

Nescafe Gold blend? Home bargains are floggin it for £5.50 at the moment. The cheap coffee war is well and truly over."

Yep, back to own brand stuff next time

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

"A box of 2 M&S chocolate eclairs £6.00"

Morrisons £3.98 for two Large Eclairs or Chouz buns, and very good they are too.

over a year ago

"A box of 2 M&S chocolate eclairs £6.00

Morrisons £3.98 for two Large Eclairs or Chouz buns, and very good they are too."

I don't mind the high prices as long as it's a quality product, so M&S is fine in that area.

By *eard and BoobsCouple
over a year ago

Portstewart

Breakfast cereals our kids only like particular types of cereal and even the own brand ones have increased by at least 50%. Mind you there are some things that have to be brand name as own brand just doesn't cut it in our opinion

By *og-ManMan
over a year ago

somewhere

"Breakfast cereals our kids only like particular types of cereal and even the own brand ones have increased by at least 50%. Mind you there are some things that have to be brand name as own brand just doesn't cut it in our opinion "

Kellogs Corn Flakes don't cut it as an own brand

By *oomarangMan
over a year ago

Chester

Nothing yet as I’ve only just started shopping in supermarkets as I’m now into my third week of living on my own still getting to grips with shopping as my now separated wife used to do it online

By *illloganMan
over a year ago

Essex

But we all got pay rises over the rate of inflation, why are you all moaning....

By *tylebender03Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Porridge £4 in Tesco. It’s 85p in Aldi

By *imited 3EditionCouple
over a year ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

£1.49 for non-branded peanut butter... I could swear it used to be around 90p

So big question is... How many think things have just got more expensive to produce and how many think it's cos our pound is worth-less (not a typo )

My previous estimate was that the pound had lost about a third of its value so everything was costing us around 30% more. Now we're paying almost double or more in some cases, I feel its time to re-evaluate

By *ttentiveRabbitMan
over a year ago

Lymington

Balloons

£5 and to blow them up is an additional £1

Supposedly it's the rate of inflation

over a year ago

Absolutely everything. It's a fortune to live and everything is going up except my wages.

I think retailers and wholesalers are jumping on the bandwagon and just increasing prices because they can and its expected now.

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

"A box of 2 M&S chocolate eclairs £6.00

Morrisons £3.98 for two Large Eclairs or Chouz buns, and very good they are too.

I don't mind the high prices as long as it's a quality product, so M&S is fine in that area."

The £6 ones are huge deluxe ones . Best ever or something like that.

The normal twin pack is about £2.50.

By *ohn8210tCouple
over a year ago

Warwick

Production costs for growers / farmers ,bakers , dairies etc have gone up so much - five fold in some cases.

We have a friend who milks cows and their electricity has gone up over 400%. Their food for the cows has at least trebled.

What no one can understand is why this government is bleeding us all dry on a stupid railway that no- one will ever use. It hasn’t even got any stations on it !

Why oh why? If the money was spent on getting the Uk more self sufficient on power namely electricity this would benefit everyone. Solar on factories, not fields, wind turbines, help or grants for efficient buildings and businesses. Mini wind turbines on new builds and industrial estates etc.

How can they present powers that be stand up and justify this railway to people of the Uk , families who are struggling to make ends meet, heat their homes, pay their bills.

Underpaid service sector people, nurses, teachers , fire services, police etc etc, everyday heroes and heroines keeping the country going. Why can we not reward these people with a wage that provides them and their families with an income for a chance in life to raise a family comfortably and buy a home for themselves.

It does not matter what party you vote for or your political views, we all need our health, why can this not be a priority.

A friend of ours saw a doctor for an internal problem . He went to the doctor who referred him on to a next appointment in 9 months. He went to this and they referred him to another appointment in what he thought was 11 months time. He went but had mis read the appointment date . He’d got the wrong year! It was actually 23 months- he was a year early!!

It will be two and a half years before he actually sees a consultant!

One wonders then how long he’ll have to wait for surgery after that!

It’s disgraceful.

Why can we not have people in power to use our taxes wisely and represent the everyday people that keep the world going round!

Sorry for the rant!

over a year ago

Every fu*king grocery item

By *unnyday321Man
over a year ago

everywhere

Supermarkets are fleecing us! Tesco profits increased from £1 billion to £2 billion in the last year and their Chairman has the cheek to suggest that food manufacturers are taking advantage of the cost of living crisis!

The food prices are just as scandalous as the energy crisis but haven’t received any media or political scrutiny

over a year ago

Coffee defo, plus diluting juice, cereal and even bread & milk.

over a year ago

"Supermarkets are fleecing us! Tesco profits increased from £1 billion to £2 billion in the last year and their Chairman has the cheek to suggest that food manufacturers are taking advantage of the cost of living crisis!

The food prices are just as scandalous as the energy crisis but haven’t received any media or political scrutiny "

Needs political and media scrutiny for sure

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

It feels like people and society as a whole are falling ever faster in to a Black Hole.

Some are closer to the event horizon that others, and if you imagine a stream of bodies falling in to the Black Hole, the ones closest to the event horizon (the point of no return) are the weakest and most vulnerable members of society. They are going / have gone / will go first.

Just behind them are those who are just about managing to keep their heads above water, but they are tumbling to their doom as well.

After them are those who are ok. They are not doing great in every area, but they are managing. They see the Black Hole but it's a while away yet.

Hot on their heels are those who are well off. They are not struggling, but things are more expensive for them and this is annoying them considerably.

And finally, the elites. The Black Hole is but a mere dot on their horizon, but they know it's there and it is pulling them in, eventually and inexorably.

So why is everything so expensive ?

Because ultimately the Black Hole is consuming everything.

People, Labour, Opportunity, our very existence itself.

And the people furthest away gain from the increased costs. Some may have even engineered it so in the belief it will postpone and reduce their fall velocity in to the Black Hole. Perhaps even circumvent it, somehow.

But the Black Hole does not listen to reason, nor pleas for mercy, or allow avoidance.

It is relentless, uncaring and unforgiving.

And when we arrive at the Black Hole and pass the Singularity, and experience complete and utter oblivion, we see the Black Hole for what it truly is in that brief moment of understanding before total annihilation.

The Black Hole is us.

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

"It feels like people and society as a whole are falling ever faster in to a Black Hole.

Some are closer to the event horizon that others, and if you imagine a stream of bodies falling in to the Black Hole, the ones closest to the event horizon (the point of no return) are the weakest and most vulnerable members of society. They are going / have gone / will go first.

Just behind them are those who are just about managing to keep their heads above water, but they are tumbling to their doom as well.

After them are those who are ok. They are not doing great in every area, but they are managing. They see the Black Hole but it's a while away yet.

Hot on their heels are those who are well off. They are not struggling, but things are more expensive for them and this is annoying them considerably.

And finally, the elites. The Black Hole is but a mere dot on their horizon, but they know it's there and it is pulling them in, eventually and inexorably.

And the people furthest away gain from the increased costs. Some may have even engineered it so in the belief it will postpone and reduce their fall velocity in to the Black Hole. Perhaps even circumvent it, somehow.

But the Black Hole does not listen to reason, nor pleas for mercy, or allow avoidance.

And when we arrive at the Black Hole and pass the Singularity, and experience complete and utter oblivion, we see the Black Hole for what it truly is in that brief moment of understanding before total annihilation.

The Black Hole is us.

"

Are you wearing tinfoil

over a year ago

When inflation starts to come down this will all get better. I’m as pissed off about taxation as anyone but inflation is the killer.

Unpopular view: yes, grocery prices are high but bank accounts are about prioritising. If you don’t have enough money for food but give Sky £70 a month then you need to look at yourself.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

The apple and mango juice we drink this time last year was £1.09. Slowly creeped up over the year. Went in last week for the 4 weekly bottles £1.69. Went in yesterday for the weekly bottle £1.95 30p in a week

The mr

By *rixie_BlondeWoman
over a year ago

London (She/Her)

"It feels like people and society as a whole are falling ever faster in to a Black Hole.

The Black Hole is us.

Are you wearing tinfoil"

You can afford tinfoil for a hat? That’s just showing off

over a year ago

How about everything?!

Miss S x

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"

Are you wearing tinfoil"

Sadly not, as it won't slow the descent in to the BH by any meaningful measure.

(I do realise my explanation of a fall in to a BH wasn't strictly correct by current Astrophysical understanding, but it was more a conceptual allegory than a scientific one).

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"When inflation starts to come down this will all get better. I’m as pissed off about taxation as anyone but inflation is the killer.

Unpopular view: yes, grocery prices are high but bank accounts are about prioritising. If you don’t have enough money for food but give Sky £70 a month then you need to look at yourself. "

What if you don't have enough money for food and don't give Sky £70 a month?

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 03/02/23 16:57:22]

over a year ago

Coming out of a pandemic with a surge in demand that far exceeds production and supply followed by sanctions on the World’s largest energy exporter because it has invaded one of the World’s largest food producers and disrupted exports, this is the result.

M

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Not groceries as such but the cost of a slice of cake or similar with your coffee has rocketed.

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Brexit was a fantastic decision!

over a year ago

£1.95 for one tin of rice pudding in Asda

Mrs C

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

The fact a Friday big shop at Aldi is routinely over 40 quid is alarming.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"Yes, i was moaning about this just last week. Plus a cheap asda 500g pasta was 50p not long ago, now it's 90p.... I cried a little."

1kg of pasta is still £1 at my local Waitrose. A bag of oranges will require a new mortgage but the pasta is cheap!

over a year ago

During covid I went shopping for someone and she told me to fill the trolly to save going out for awhile, because of the advice we had been given to stay in.

So I filled a trolly with all sorts at a cheap shop and I avoided the pricy brands. I checked out it cost me over £200

over a year ago

"During covid I went shopping for someone and she told me to fill the trolly to save going out for awhile, because of the advice we had been given to stay in.

So I filled a trolly with all sorts at a cheap shop and I avoided the pricy brands. I checked out it cost me over £200 "

I bet the total now would be around 40,50 quid more

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

It doesn't seem much longer than yesterday could go to netto and get a trolley heaped up full of bait and it was around 50 quid

over a year ago

Seems like yesterday I could buy a kebab or fish and chips from anywhere for under a fiver. Now it's getting on for a tenner or more.

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Can still get a kebab for 6 quid here but fish and chips almost a tenner

I remember the local butcher doing 3 chickens quartered for a fiver that feels like not long ago as well, couple quid spent on a carb source and had tea for 6 nights if the week for 7 quid haha

By *ixiePoisonWoman
over a year ago

Darlington

I was in M&S food today, a tin of minced beef in gravy was £4!

over a year ago

I’m certain you could get 6 hot cross buns from Asda for less than a quid last year. I was there last night and they were £1.50 for 4.

over a year ago

I wish I were wearing Geordie Jeans

over a year ago

Tassimo Costa pods machine now been put away never to be seen again

over a year ago

Yet a bag of lemons 50p don't figure

over a year ago

In Waitrose Avacados have gone up over 150%

over a year ago

Beans

Over £2

over a year ago

Peppered mackerel, vacuum packed - 12.50!

over a year ago

Oat milk, up to 1.90 from 80p mid last year

By *onnie 90Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

"The apple and mango juice we drink this time last year was £1.09. Slowly creeped up over the year. Went in last week for the 4 weekly bottles £1.69. Went in yesterday for the weekly bottle £1.95 30p in a week

The mr "

I go to Lidl now. The ASDA and Morrisons near me seem to be putting their prices up for fun. Even their own budget brands which they know many people rely on to get by. As more people turn to them the price keeps on creeping up and up...

It's disgraceful and they should be ashamed.

Post new Message to Thread