Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Kids paying rent

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

How much rent (if any) should an 18 year old (with a job) be paying his/her parents for

Full board

Washing

Ironing

Food

Own room

Internet

TV

Etc etc

How much (if anything) a week?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

How much are they earning and what are their outgoings?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

20% of what their take home wage is

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Third of what they earn.

Pay a third, save a third, spend a third.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

I'd say it's very circumstantial.

over a year ago

"How much are they earning and what are their outgoings?

"

£25 -£30 I would say is fair, if they are earning £100+ a week.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Third of what they earn.

Pay a third, save a third, spend a third."

Amazing you say that, it's exactly what we suggest (my ex and i)

By *ellishornyMan
over a year ago

surrey

Charge them £50 and put £20 of it in a separate fund and when they come to move out surprise them with the money they saved with out knowing

over a year ago

It depends on the circumstances. How much they are earning, how much the parents are earning. One thing I would say though is they should be pulling their weight in regards to washing and ironing etc

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"Third of what they earn.

Pay a third, save a third, spend a third.

Amazing you say that, it's exactly what we suggest (my ex and i) "

Great minds!

over a year ago

Depends on the circumstances and how good the 18 year old is with money. If they’re natural savers and you know what they’re spending it on, nothing because they already are probably saving for a goal. If they’re awful, I’d take some rent but I wouldn’t use it. I’d keep it aside and it can go towards a rental deposit in the future or a house deposit. If the family is struggling financially, maybe use a bit of it and keep the rest aside for those deposits. Depends.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I always told mine at 18 they leave home to become an adult - study or work.

If they study I’ll pay their living costs or they can live for free with me - to degree or masters only not phd.

If they work instead and wanna stay home for a while they pay their full share of the bills, so about £750 a month. I wanted to encourage them to study but if not then understand things like housing costs money

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

Depends on the wage and if they are studying too?

Is it a full time job or a part time job?

I’d probably say £30 a week but depends on the above really.

By *.T.Man
over a year ago

Belfast

Ask for a third of their take home pay and save half of it for them. It offsets some of the costs of them living with you and builds up a wee deposit for their own place

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"20% of what their take home wage is"

This is what we take

By *vilgasamWoman
over a year ago

The dot in the i

I’d take a % from their wages but I’d put it in savings and let it build for whenever they’re ready to move

It was my choice to have a kid, them turning 18 didn’t change that dynamic, my parents did that to me and I felt horrible because of it

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

I was on an apprenticeship scheme throufh the joke shop, sorry job centre. I had to give my parents half my wages, I got most of it back from my mum when I was skint though.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My son left home at 16 but came back for a bit when he was about 20. Can't remember how much I charged him probably about a third of his wages

I know it covered everything from deodorant to take away once a week

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

When I was approaching the end of secondary school, my dad said “You need to be learning or earning, I don’t mind which, but you have to be doing something.”

Now my lad is a similar age I feel the same way.

I’d say that, broadly, 1/3 rent, 1/3 savings, 1/3 spending is fine, provided they actually save. I don’t think my lad has the willpower for that at the moment.

Personally, I plan to let him know a clear cost of the share of the monthly outgoings and say that his rent will be 50% of his take home until he’s earning more, then he can just pay his share.

And, because I’m not a complete monster, I plan to put the money he pays to one side and give it back to him towards whatever deposit he needs when the time comes to move out.

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

I was charged £100 a month.

I doubt il charge my daughter anything to be honest and if I do it would be something like the amount I paid above.

I would never charge more unless I was saving it to give it back to them when they did move out.

By *icassolifelikeMan
over a year ago

Luton

Take 20% and promise them it’ll be all they have to pay and in really, REALLY, minuscule writing write “subject to review and all rises will be in line with inflation”.

Then go on strike a few days a week so their washing doesn’t get done, no dinners etc and say “there’s not enough in the pot to carry on this service”.

Then move their bed into the landing and keep the light on and every 5 minutes play an ambulance siren. Maybe get another lodger and move them into the room.

Then when they’ve had enough and move out hit them with a parenting bill that you’ve just made up and tell them they either pay it via instalments or they have to work until they’re 80 whichever comes sooner.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

£50 a week is what I paid my old dear.

The mr

By *assy69Man
over a year ago

West Sussex and Wales

"How much rent (if any) should an 18 year old (with a job) be paying his/her parents for

Full board

Washing

Ironing

Food

Own room

Internet

TV

Etc etc

How much (if anything) a week?

"

I used to pay my parents one third of whatever was in my pay packet which always evened reasonable to me

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

£20 a week

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"When I was approaching the end of secondary school, my dad said “You need to be learning or earning, I don’t mind which, but you have to be doing something.”

I’d say that, broadly, 1/3 rent, 1/3 savings, 1/3 spending is fine, provided they actually save. I don’t think my lad has the willpower for that at the moment.

Personally, I plan to let him know a clear cost of the share of the monthly outgoings and say that his rent will be 50% of his take home until he’s earning more, then he can just pay his share.

And, because I’m not a complete monster, I plan to put the money he pays to one side and give it back to him towards whatever deposit he needs when the time comes to move out.

"

I’d like all that except the last bit saving what they give for them. I wouldn’t want to treat them like children , by 18 they have been taught the basics of finance; saving, budgeting, generosity , business skills etc and it’s time for them to practice.

My youngest daughter takes the max student loans while living with me for free and works 2-3 jobs through uni , invests 3/4 of her income so has her deposit already

By *rettyflamingoCouple
over a year ago

Where the flamboyance of flamingos live

I charged my daughter £50 a week when she complained it was too expensive. I said if you can find anything cheaper for full board and lodgings let me know and I’ll move in! I was harsh!

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

I wouldn't charge them, I'd encourage that house deposit to be built up instead. When I'm old and needing help, they will be looking after me, So I want to set them up right from the start

By *uddy laneMan
over a year ago

dudley

I never asked or took board even with the move out and move back in over the years, thankfully it was saved for a good deposit.

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

"When I was approaching the end of secondary school, my dad said “You need to be learning or earning, I don’t mind which, but you have to be doing something.”

I’d like all that except the last bit saving what they give for them. I wouldn’t want to treat them like children , by 18 they have been taught the basics of finance; saving, budgeting, generosity , business skills etc and it’s time for them to practice.

My youngest daughter takes the max student loans while living with me for free and works 2-3 jobs through uni , invests 3/4 of her income so has her deposit already "

Giving money back that you have saved isn’t treating them like children. It’s just helping your children in life.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

I had to pay 20% of my wages for board and lodging from the first day of starting work way back in 1958, This was no bad thing as it prepared me for the many years I would stay in Digs whilst working on construction sites all over the Country.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We didn't charge either of our kids rent. Our view was that they were living in their home and that was the end of it

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Mine 2 still living home are 23 and 30 they pay £300 each a month they both earn more than me x

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

We have let our son off paying rent for the first year now he has a proper job.

My eldest pays £100 a month which I think is enough. Also we are saving that for him to put towards a deposit on a house when he gets to that stage.

It's called helping your children out in what is a very different world compared to how things were when I was at their stage of life

By * and R cple4Couple
over a year ago

swansea

We didn’t charge our sons when my son turned 18 he’d been with his gf a while and she moved in and instead of paying us rent they put it in savings for a mortgage.

He’s just turned 24 and they have just bought their first house.If I had charged them rent it would have made it that little harder for them to get on the property ladder.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple
over a year ago

Cumbria

£250 a month but they will get it back to buy a house and probably more.

over a year ago

I would take £100 but only if she was in a full time job. I'd put the money straight into savings and give it to her when she moves out. I am happy to cover everything but a phone bill when she turns 18 without expecting anything in return. I'd only be taking the £100 to teach her to contribute and to give her an idea of what to expect. I did bring her into this world, so I'll support her as long as possible.

By *uri00620Woman
over a year ago

Croydon

I don't know about rent but at 18 they can do their own washing and ironing that's for sure!

Post new Message to Thread