Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

chauvinistic behaviour

Jump to newest

By *ttentiveRabbit OP   Man
over a year ago

Lymington

Evening all,

I’ve a lady friend who has a couple of kids.

She does all the errands of dropping and collecting as well as working too.

Yet her partner and father of both children expects her to do all the housework also, and have dinner and kids in bed for when he arrives home and belittles the difficulty in raising two kids

She has a real sparkle about her, but you can see she is losing her identity.

I see it as level of domestic abuse and want to support her rebalancing the responsibilities so she can find herself before anxiety will take over and ultimately save their relationship.

Has any of you suffered?

Know how you came to an agreement on housework without being accused of ‘just moaning’

Thank you x

DM open if wanted to private chat

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

It's their relationship. Let them get on with it.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Welcome to life as a female!

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Have you heard the story from both sides? I don't want to look like I'm questioning you or her problems in any way as he could be a cunt but it's tough to judge their situation or take steps to improve it if they're not talking to each other about it.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

Do not white knight that shit.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

"Welcome to life as a female! "

To be fair, it's one of the effects of no longer having defined gender roles. Women and men are expected to help with the housework, cooking, the kids, having a stable and well paid job. We're expected to be superheroes.

over a year ago

Lymington

I don’t think he is a cunt but I think a little blind sided and not seeing the damage .

She has tried to speak about it, but gets dismissed as just moaning.

I know I shouldn’t get involved, but it does hurt when you see your friend being pulled into the fog

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Why would you want her to save the relationship with a man like that? Surely she'd be happier either on her own or with someone who has a healthier outlook?

Relate, couples counselling. Needs a neutral setting and someone to mediate. If he's willing.

over a year ago

Lymington

"Welcome to life as a female!

To be fair, it's one of the effects of no longer having defined gender roles. Women and men are expected to help with the housework, cooking, the kids, having a stable and well paid job. We're expected to be superheroes."

I think it was easier when one income could support the house.

But if the income input is shared then surely the running of the house and the duties also?

over a year ago

I’ve had many conversations with female friends about this stuff.

It happened with my Dad, when I was a kid, to the point where I took over from my Mum looking after my younger siblings when she went out to work because he was so woeful at looking after any of us.

And my ex husband’s favourite excuse for doing absolutely Jack shit was - I don’t see when it gets dirty. So we sat down and agreed what time scale it takes for things to need cleaning, wrote them on a massive white board. Did things change….?

No. They didn’t.

over a year ago

I wouldn't get involved. Are you doing so hoping for something in return?

I've known plenty of women like this, and all I do is tell them straight that they are not their partners mother and that they should never settle for that type of shit in a relationship because that isn't what it is supposed to be like. I've known very few who have seen it as a dealbreaker unfortunately.

You getting involved will not solve anything.

over a year ago

Lymington

"Why would you want her to save the relationship with a man like that? Surely she'd be happier either on her own or with someone who has a healthier outlook?

Relate, couples counselling. Needs a neutral setting and someone to mediate. If he's willing."

You maybe right.

Just not the first time I’ve seen a friend in similar circumstances.

I don’t think they are a bad mix, but definitely an imbalance because of weak boundaries

over a year ago

Don’t get involved. You’ll more than likely lose a friend.

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

Welcome to the world that many of us live daily.

Only chores I don't do is put the rubbish out once a week.

Everything else is me:

Run a house

3 kids

Dog

Shopping

Cooking

Cleaning

Laundry

Driving about/errands

Work

DIY

Gardening

Decorating

The list goes on and on and on.

You learn to get on with it and I still find time for myself and going out sometimes too.

Everyone's different

over a year ago

Lymington

"I wouldn't get involved. Are you doing so hoping for something in return?

I've known plenty of women like this, and all I do is tell them straight that they are not their partners mother and that they should never settle for that type of shit in a relationship because that isn't what it is supposed to be like. I've known very few who have seen it as a dealbreaker unfortunately.

You getting involved will not solve anything."

Nothing in return in the slightest.

It’s just heartbreaking to see people lose their souls or spirit for the benefits of another.

Suppose I saw it happen with my own mother, and still do to a point.

Just wished partners listened a little more to each other

By *exfordMan
over a year ago

discombobulated land

My uncle Sam used to drive rich people around in their posh cars from business meetings to the next business meeting and then to the night clubs and bars after work. He gave it to as someone called him a chauffernistic bas##rd!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It’s just heartbreaking to see people lose their souls or spirit for the benefits of another.

Just wished partners listened a little more to each other "

Is she asking you for solutions or a listening ear? There's a big difference.

over a year ago

Lymington

"I’ve had many conversations with female friends about this stuff.

It happened with my Dad, when I was a kid, to the point where I took over from my Mum looking after my younger siblings when she went out to work because he was so woeful at looking after any of us.

And my ex husband’s favourite excuse for doing absolutely Jack shit was - I don’t see when it gets dirty. So we sat down and agreed what time scale it takes for things to need cleaning, wrote them on a massive white board. Did things change….?

No. They didn’t."

I was hoping for a silver lining with the white board idea.

Why don’t people listen to each other

over a year ago

Just wished partners listened a little more to each other "

Yes it's shite. I'm always saddened to see what women will settle for. I'm on loads of mum groups and some of the posts and how frequent they pop up are heartbreaking. I'm so fortunate that I found a good one.

All you can do is express your thoughts and hope she listens. But it's unlikely to happen.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

No. They didn’t.

Why don’t people listen to each other "

The govt is currently not listening to various sections of society. As a result they've withdrawn their labour. If your friend just does what she's able to comfortably do without inconveniencing or endangering the children it might become clear to him *and her* where the unfair division of labour is

over a year ago

Unless she's willing to address it with her husband herself? Then all the suggestions in the world won't make a blind bit of difference

over a year ago

Lymington

"Unless she's willing to address it with her husband herself? Then all the suggestions in the world won't make a blind bit of difference "

I believe she will, but she needs a hand to hold at the same time for strength

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I have not read all the posts so apologies if this has been said already:

Is her partner even aware how she feels?

And if so, do they both genuinely want a change?

In my experience, if one wants a change (whatever change) and the other does not, there has to be a lot of listening on both sides as well as an agreed outcome which can be revisited if it does not work.

Overall, my suggestion would be not to get involved but remain a sounding board to your friend. People often subconsciously "use" (in the lose sense of the word) sounding boards to arrive at their own long-term conclusions and actions.

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"Welcome to life as a female! "

Try life as a man. By the way try reading a Book by Nora Vincent called.

Self Made Man

Might learn something.

And by the way I have never relied on a woman to do.my cooking,cleaning. Because I sont want woman plying the martyr.

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

"Evening all,

Yet her partner and father of both children expects her to do all the housework also, and have dinner and kids in bed for when he arrives home and belittles the difficulty in raising two kids

I see it as level of domestic abuse and want to support her rebalancing the responsibilities so she can find herself before anxiety will take over and ultimately save their relationship.

Has any of you suffered?

Know how you came to an agreement on housework without being accused of ‘just moaning’

Thank you x

DM open if wanted to private chat "

Face it OP your just looking to act like the big white knight so you can get in her knickers

over a year ago

Lymington

"

A listening ear and a hand to hold I believe.

There’s a flame inside of her still, just needs to know she can trust it to speak out

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Unless she's willing to address it with her husband herself? Then all the suggestions in the world won't make a blind bit of difference

I believe she will, but she needs a hand to hold at the same time for strength "

I'll be frank, if my husband was relying emotionally on a woman to deal with a perceived problem within our relationship I would not be happy.

over a year ago

"And by the way I have never relied on a woman to do.my cooking,cleaning. Because I sont want woman plying the martyr.

"

over a year ago

Lymington

"I have not read all the posts so apologies if this has been said already:

In my experience, if one wants a change (whatever change) and the other does not, there has to be a lot of listening on both sides as well as an agreed outcome which can be revisited if it does not work.

Overall, my suggestion would be not to get involved but remain a sounding board to your friend. People often subconsciously "use" (in the lose sense of the word) sounding boards to arrive at their own long-term conclusions and actions."

I know she wants a change, I don’t believe he understands how upset she is.

I think a sounding board and hand holder is my key role at the moment

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

A listening ear and a hand to hold I believe.

There’s a flame inside of her still, just needs to know she can trust it to speak out "

See my post above. I would advise you against getting involved

By *reamyclottedcreamWoman
over a year ago

Helston... or St Awful?...

"Unless she's willing to address it with her husband herself? Then all the suggestions in the world won't make a blind bit of difference

I believe she will, but she needs a hand to hold at the same time for strength "

Its not easy. Is it your hand she needs, and how long can you hold it for?

If she starts to rely on you then how long can you be there for?

Are you ready for this responsibility or will you become someone else that may hurt her?

Also, both sides have a different story.

And, there's a connection between them two, its for then to change/notice/work out the dynamics...

Be careful.

Tho it's lovely that you're worried and wanting to help.

By *host63Man
over a year ago

Bedfont Feltham

No. They didn’t."

I went out with a single mother who was useless at everything. I have cooked cleaned and done stuff better than any woman I have been with. Mainly because I dislike relying on anyone for anything.

over a year ago

I often call my wife Doris, its not her name but she answers to it.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

No. They didn’t.

Why don’t people listen to each other

The govt is currently not listening to various sections of society. As a result they've withdrawn their labour. If your friend just does what she's able to comfortably do without inconveniencing or endangering the children it might become clear to him *and her* where the unfair division of labour is "

Exactly.. stop doing all his washing/dinners/errands

over a year ago

I am sure she can work out her own issues within her partnership/marriage. She may not appreciate your interference in asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet for advice. I know I would not appreciate it

That said I was the one working when my boys were small and their Daddy stayed at home with them, he did the cooking, cleaning, shopping. At weekends it was my turn and he had

time to himself. Worked well for us tbf.

over a year ago

Overall, my suggestion would be not to get involved but remain a sounding board to your friend. People often subconsciously "use" (in the lose sense of the word) sounding boards to arrive at their own long-term conclusions and actions.

I think a sounding board and hand holder is my key role at the moment "

I know she is your friend but how do you think her husband will react to another man metaphorically holding her hand while she’s questions their whole relationship?

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

I think the words are: I'm going out.

She then goes out leaving whatever is needed to be done by him.

Any words about it: It's your job too.

over a year ago

No. They didn’t.

I went out with a single mother who was useless at everything. I have cooked cleaned and done stuff better than any woman I have been with. Mainly because I dislike relying on anyone for anything."

Of course you have. Thank you so much for your input.

over a year ago

If the husband finds out about the hand holding he could see you as 'the other man' and it could drive a wedge between them that shouldn't exist.

Be concerned, be a friend but stay out of it

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Interfere at your peril OP, it will not end well for all of you.

Maybe it’s just me and I’ve got it completely wrong but two things come across from your posts, firstly, you clearly have an ‘interest’ in her and secondly, your attitude towards her sounds a little patronising.

Just my take.

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

I know she is your friend but how do you think her husband will react to another man metaphorically holding her hand while she’s questions their whole relationship? "

Maybe the husband will circle round and fuck OPs wife

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Not your circus, not your monkies.

I'm genuinely not sure what you are trying to achieve here, I can't foresee a scenario where you are the hero though

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

Is it chauvinistic to think she needs another man to save her from her current situation?

over a year ago

Lymington

"Evening all,

Has any of you suffered?

Thank you x

DM open if wanted to private chat

Face it OP your just looking to act like the big white knight so you can get in her knickers "

Not at all.

Come from a broken family with an autistic brother, so very much understand the upsets.

Sorry if this hit a nerve for you

over a year ago

I know she is your friend but how do you think her husband will react to another man metaphorically holding her hand while she’s questions their whole relationship?

Maybe the husband will circle round and fuck OPs wife "

I’ll have to remember this for when the next “how to convince my wife to swing” thread comes up

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"Is it chauvinistic to think she needs another man to save her from her current situation?"

Is it condescending to say guys can't either be friends or give advice.

over a year ago

Lymington

"Is it chauvinistic to think she needs another man to save her from her current situation?"

She’s not, but reaching out to someone that may actually listen.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"Is it chauvinistic to think she needs another man to save her from her current situation?

Is it condescending to say guys can't either be friends or give advice. "

Not that I'm in deep here

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Probably

And is it chauvinistic to assume that she needs or even wants to be saved?

Unless she's explicitly said this could end their relationship there's a lot of assumption on the OPs part

By *reyToTheFairiesWoman
over a year ago

Carlisle usually

"Is it chauvinistic to think she needs another man to save her from her current situation?

She’s not, but reaching out to someone that may actually listen. "

Ah. And that means she needs a strong person to hold her hand through it all?

What a peach.

over a year ago

She’s not, but reaching out to someone that may actually listen. "

And it's always nice to be supportive of friends. However,it's not actually going to change her situation. Unless you're planning on offering on popping round to do the cooking & cleaning for her to help ease the load

over a year ago

I think it’s something they need to talk about themselves, there are always two sides to every story and maybe if you have never met her husband then you don’t know if it’s as black and white as it seems.

Would she be ok with him talking to his female friends about the relationship especially ones that didn’t know her.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Our relationship is a perfect synergy!

She does the cooking - I do the eating

I make the mess - she cleans it up

I wear the clothes - she washes them

She earns the money - I spend the money

Its all give and take at the end of the day!

over a year ago

"Our relationship is a perfect synergy!

She does the cooking - I do the eating

I make the mess - she cleans it up

I wear the clothes - she washes them

She earns the money - I spend the money

Its all give and take at the end of the day! "

Now that’s pure chivalry

over a year ago

There’s a lot of information on “mental load” which may be helpful to read in order to be supportive.

over a year ago

"There’s a lot of information on “mental load” which may be helpful to read in order to be supportive. "

Thanks I may give that a read myself

over a year ago

Your post ends with the line

DM me if you want a private chat

Why?

If I was you, I would mind my own business rather than playing the martyr

over a year ago

I think all you can do as a friend is be an ear and offer advice if wanted. Let her vent, but don't meddle.

If you do suspect domestic abuse then you can encourage her to reach out to services.

Hope it all works out OP for your friend

By *weetiepie99Woman
over a year ago

cardiff

A lot of charming answers on this thread...really?!...

By *weetiepie99Woman
over a year ago

cardiff

"I think all you can do as a friend is be an ear and offer advice if wanted. Let her vent, but don't meddle.

If you do suspect domestic abuse then you can encourage her to reach out to services.

Hope it all works out OP for your friend

"

Post new Message to Thread