Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Any piercers on here

Jump to newest

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I wanna change my body piercings to 18 k. Or preferably 14k for strength. It doesn’t seem very common in the uk and here 14 k is hard to locate.

What do you think ? Is there a medical reason surgical steel or titanium is preferred ? I can make 14k so can choose what alloys to use then take to the casting house etc

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I'm not a piercer, and I may be completely wrong, but I thought that gold isn't used in fresh piercings because it is a softer, more porous metal, and if the surface becomes damaged during the healing process it's more likely to cause irritation and/or infection. I've known people that have swapped to gold after they're fully healed.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Healed piercings you should be ok but the reason gold isn’t usually used is that it’s an impure alloy and can cause irritation or promote infection.

By *ehindHerEyesCouple
over a year ago

SomewhereOnlyWeKnow

I know my piercer and most APP approved piercers only recommends internally threaded implant grade titanium as it's hypoallergenic, gold tends to be softer and more porus,so risk of damage to the piece is higher,if its gold you're wanting then 14k is the only one recommended as it tends to be nikel free. But most piercers when asked would always go titanium.

Tinder

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"I know my piercer and most APP approved piercers only recommends internally threaded implant grade titanium as it's hypoallergenic, gold tends to be softer and more porus,so risk of damage to the piece is higher,if its gold you're wanting then 14k is the only one recommended as it tends to be nikel free. But most piercers when asked would always go titanium.

Tinder "

Thanks. Yeas 14K (585 stamp) is 14/24 so 58.5% gold, nice and hard and not porous.

You can actually add what you want in the 41.5% depending on the colour and strength you want but it will typically be nickel, copper & silver - not nickel free unless you specifically cast it nickel free.

By *rHotNotts OP   Man
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Oh why so expensive !!!! £80 - £150 for 0.g of 14 carat what a rip off , that gold is worth £20

Post new Message to Thread