Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Early Dubstep

Jump to newest

By *oxes OP   Man
over a year ago

Southend, Essex

Ok me and some of the guys and girls at the gym are in big discussion atm about an artist called burial who was a dubstep artist from 2005-2007. Who the Gaurdian described his album Untrue as

the most revaloutionary album that defined and influenced pop music in the 21st century.

And All4

"one of the most acclaimed, influential, and enigmatic electronic musicians of the early 21st century."

1) How and why to my untrained rests it does not sound revaluationary although different. Or is this just arty types blowing flames up their own ass?

2) Burials music lacks a lot of tropes of dubstep such as the wobble baseline. So why is he considered as a dubstep producer and not another genre

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ycallMan
over a year ago

Dorking

Burial’s album came out before dubstep became a well defined genre.

It’s a shame because at the beginning dubstep showed a lot of potential, nowadays most of it is generic shite with that standardised trick of modulating the LFO sync ratio on a distorted jump up bass noise over halftime 140 BPM beats.

I actually really enjoyed burials stuff, obviously it wouldn’t be great at a rave but it was amazing come down music and always somehow reminded me of walking through deserted city streets in the early hours of the morning.

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

" always somehow reminded me of walking through deserted city streets in the early hours of the morning."

with a big boombox on your shoulder ?

By *oxes OP   Man
over a year ago

Southend, Essex

" always somehow reminded me of walking through deserted city streets in the early hours of the morning.

with a big boombox on your shoulder ?"

Burial is the kind of artist where you put your headphones on and reflect on your surroundings.

By *oxes OP   Man
over a year ago

Southend, Essex

"Burial’s album came out before dubstep became a well defined genre.

It’s a shame because at the beginning dubstep showed a lot of potential, nowadays most of it is generic shite with that standardised trick of modulating the LFO sync ratio on a distorted jump up bass noise over halftime 140 BPM beats.

I actually really enjoyed burials stuff, obviously it wouldn’t be great at a rave but it was amazing come down music and always somehow reminded me of walking through deserted city streets in the early hours of the morning."

I should imagine dubstep evolved from it's parent genre like how house evolved from disco music.

Originally before house music early djs were experimenting with outdated synths and creating bootlegs of their fav disco records combining gospal to it until eventually set genres were defined.

I should imagine dubstep evolved a similar way.

By *ycallMan
over a year ago

Dorking

" always somehow reminded me of walking through deserted city streets in the early hours of the morning.

with a big boombox on your shoulder ?"

No with the music from earlier in the night looping in your head because you did to many pills.

Burial isn’t really boom box music it’s really atmospheric. You need a nice clean sound with a good amount of bass.

By *ycallMan
over a year ago

Dorking

with a big boombox on your shoulder ?

Burial is the kind of artist where you put your headphones on and reflect on your surroundings."

Totally agreed, it’s highly atmospheric rather than just jump up noises over a halftime 140bpm beat.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

People don’t talk at the gym! Jesus you can’t even look at anyone else these days without showing up on tiktok as a sex pest!

By *hePerkyPumpkinTV/TS
over a year ago

Bristol

I liked Mala and digital Mystikz... Never really listened to Burial much

I think what most people think of as DubStep now would be better described as BroStep (that's the Skrillex sound)

By *ycallMan
over a year ago

Dorking

"Burial’s album came out before dubstep became a well defined genre.

I actually really enjoyed burials stuff, obviously it wouldn’t be great at a rave but it was amazing come down music and always somehow reminded me of walking through deserted city streets in the early hours of the morning.

I should imagine dubstep evolved from it's parent genre like how house evolved from disco music.

Originally before house music early djs were experimenting with outdated synths and creating bootlegs of their fav disco records combining gospal to it until eventually set genres were defined.

I should imagine dubstep evolved a similar way. "

When dubstep first came out it was very diverse. Basically anything that was bass heavy, the right tempo and didn’t fit into a pre-existing genre could be labelled dubstep. Nowadays it’s a very defined sound and no where near as interesting.

By *oxes OP   Man
over a year ago

Southend, Essex

"I liked Mala and digital Mystikz... Never really listened to Burial much

I think what most people think of as DubStep now would be better described as BroStep (that's the Skrillex sound)"

He has a new Album out. It's very minimilist and unlike 2010 stuff.

Post new Message to Thread