Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Workmen in hospitals......

Jump to newest

By *inky_couple2020 OP   Couple
over a year ago

North West

..... appear to have no concept of dignity. For context, this is on a gynaecology and early pregnancy ward. Sat here with a catheter strapped to my leg, in a short, backless hospital gown. I've not long since tortured myself by having a shower and as I'd just managed to get myself back onto the bed (with help from staff), a man just pops up with a ladder at the entrance to the room, and starts fiddling with the lights. He didn't check if it was okay and didn't pull the curtains. I physically cannot pull the curtains myself so I'm sat here in full view, trying to keep the gown down. It's not nice

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

No not nice but I would have thought it was up to the nurses to ensure their patients dignity and respect before allowing a workman to commence his job.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Buzz for someone to pull the curtain for you if they aren’t on strike..

over a year ago

North West

"No not nice but I would have thought it was up to the nurses to ensure their patients dignity and respect before allowing a workman to commence his job."

When he commenced, staff were on ward rounds or helping other patients. I did buzz the buzzer.

Also - ouch

By *uliette500Woman
over a year ago

Hull

Buzz for the nurses that's what they are there for.

over a year ago

Patient dignity and privacy should be at forefront at all health care. Sounds like that hospital has a very poor culture on both counts.

over a year ago

This is a tradesman forum with a difference

over a year ago

"No not nice but I would have thought it was up to the nurses to ensure their patients dignity and respect before allowing a workman to commence his job.

When he commenced, staff were on ward rounds or helping other patients. I did buzz the buzzer.

Also - ouch "

No one with proper training or common sense would have started work in that situation.

By *uliette500Woman
over a year ago

Hull

"Buzz for someone to pull the curtain for you if they aren’t on strike.."

The strike comment was totally uncalled for.

When nurses are striking they are not leaving wards understaffed or patients unsafe.

Wards are understaffed and unsafe anyway, thanks to the government, which is part of what nurses are striking about. It's not all about pay.

over a year ago

"Buzz for someone to pull the curtain for you if they aren’t on strike..

The strike comment was totally uncalled for.

When nurses are striking they are not leaving wards understaffed or patients unsafe.

Wards are understaffed and unsafe anyway, thanks to the government, which is part of what nurses are striking about. It's not all about pay. "

well said

over a year ago

North West

Well. The light is fixed and the chap has gone. Unfortunately the buzzer wasn't answered until after he'd finished.

The nurses, healthcare assistance, student nurses etc have all been very lovely here but I get the feeling they are short staffed. There's lots of talk of bank staff and people doing extra shifts.

Ouch

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Similar thing happened to me just after I gave birth.

They had just taken the baby to clean up and dress and a workman walked in with a member of staff. He looked over at me, looked embarrassed then walked out.

I was still a little out of it and couldn't tell you if I was covered properly or not.

By *ucks Couple UKCouple
over a year ago

Bucks

I appreciate it’s a horrid situation but I’m sure if you asked the tradesperson to pull the curtain across for you they would have. He needs to get the lights working and I imagine and isn’t paying attention to the goings on in the ward.

I hope you’re in the mend soon.

over a year ago

North West

"I appreciate it’s a horrid situation but I’m sure if you asked the tradesperson to pull the curtain across for you they would have. He needs to get the lights working and I imagine and isn’t paying attention to the goings on in the ward.

I hope you’re in the mend soon. "

It's hard to explain or understand but I am in so much pain when moving about that I was unable to say anything to him. I was trying to rearrange my catheter bag and gown, which is absolute agony for me to do right now. I'm sat typing this off the back of a large syringe full of Oramorph. Struggling even to just sit still though.

He's gone. It would be nice if people thought before they did things.

Bad Nanna - also had issues back in the day on maternity ward. When I had my son, the bathrooms were being renovated and there were tradespeople (mainly men) there every day from 07:30, making a racket and gawping through the little windows that couldn't be covered up

over a year ago

I was in Blackburn with my leg packed in ice and elevated unable to get out of bed for a week before my op

Those gowns are useless and the curtains, even when they are closed gape like mad

For the cost of some decent curtain hooks things could have been a lot easier

The nurses and HCA on the ward were brilliant and did all they could but a little effort by the hospital maintenance would have gone a long way

By *ershingMan
over a year ago

liverpool

As a tradesman I'd rather lose pay than inconvienience people who are obviously unable to move.

He was out of order, he only had to say to staff he'd come back later

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"..... appear to have no concept of dignity. For context, this is on a gynaecology and early pregnancy ward. Sat here with a catheter strapped to my leg, in a short, backless hospital gown. I've not long since tortured myself by having a shower and as I'd just managed to get myself back onto the bed (with help from staff), a man just pops up with a ladder at the entrance to the room, and starts fiddling with the lights. He didn't check if it was okay and didn't pull the curtains. I physically cannot pull the curtains myself so I'm sat here in full view, trying to keep the gown down. It's not nice "
guys that work in hospitals are used to patients i imagine he's seen it all before but he should have checked with sister first

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"I appreciate it’s a horrid situation but I’m sure if you asked the tradesperson to pull the curtain across for you they would have. He needs to get the lights working and I imagine and isn’t paying attention to the goings on in the ward.

I hope you’re in the mend soon.

It's hard to explain or understand but I am in so much pain when moving about that I was unable to say anything to him. I was trying to rearrange my catheter bag and gown, which is absolute agony for me to do right now. I'm sat typing this off the back of a large syringe full of Oramorph. Struggling even to just sit still though.

He's gone. It would be nice if people thought before they did things.

Bad Nanna - also had issues back in the day on maternity ward. When I had my son, the bathrooms were being renovated and there were tradespeople (mainly men) there every day from 07:30, making a racket and gawping through the little windows that couldn't be covered up "

The staff seem to be oblivious to the fact patients don't want strangers looking at them. I had to ask my GP to close her blinds once when she was doing an intimate exam, because the houses over the back looked directly into the window.

She really didn't want to close them for my privacy.

Work has to be done in hospitals but they need to consider the patients too.

over a year ago

"Similar thing happened to me just after I gave birth.

They had just taken the baby to clean up and dress and a workman walked in with a member of staff. He looked over at me, looked embarrassed then walked out.

I was still a little out of it and couldn't tell you if I was covered properly or not.

"

My sister said the same happened to her, after she had her baby and was absolutely incensed. She’s a nurse, and worked in that hospital…!

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"..... appear to have no concept of dignity. For context, this is on a gynaecology and early pregnancy ward. Sat here with a catheter strapped to my leg, in a short, backless hospital gown. I've not long since tortured myself by having a shower and as I'd just managed to get myself back onto the bed (with help from staff), a man just pops up with a ladder at the entrance to the room, and starts fiddling with the lights. He didn't check if it was okay and didn't pull the curtains. I physically cannot pull the curtains myself so I'm sat here in full view, trying to keep the gown down. It's not nice guys that work in hospitals are used to patients i imagine he's seen it all before but he should have checked with sister first "

He shouldn't have seen anything before; that's the point.

If a workmen enters a room he should knock or call through to see if anyone is getting dressed or in a state of undress.

I also had a nurse and electrician almost walk in on me in the bathroom after giving birth because the emergency cord went off, and I assume was faulty.She opened the door and went to walk in with him just behind her, then stopped and said oh, did you pull the cord? He didn't see me because I was right next to the wall where the door was, but it put me off bathing while I was there.

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

Tell him to pull curtains round if he is any decent workman he will

over a year ago

"No not nice but I would have thought it was up to the nurses to ensure their patients dignity and respect before allowing a workman to commence his job."

One would have thought so

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

What you have to understand is that nurses, doctors, orderlies, workmen in hospitals become complacent, used to the environment they work in, its an everyday occurrence, so unfortunately they don't tend to think about it,less time wasted asking if its ok, ok they should always ask but

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"Similar thing happened to me just after I gave birth.

My sister said the same happened to her, after she had her baby and was absolutely incensed. She’s a nurse, and worked in that hospital…!"

The thing is they just walked in. The staff member should have peeked through the window and seen me then told him to come back, not just barge in.

I remember thinking oh God I hope he didn't see anything.

The midwives didn't even say anything to him. I think they're so used to electricians wandering around they don't think anything of it.

over a year ago

North West

A dude walked in earlier when I was trying to have a shower, with the aid of a HCA. She hadn't yet locked the door. Fortunately, I'd not quite disrobed..... He was someone else's partner, I think!

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"A dude walked in earlier when I was trying to have a shower, with the aid of a HCA. She hadn't yet locked the door. Fortunately, I'd not quite disrobed..... He was someone else's partner, I think!"

Was he lost?

over a year ago

North West

"A dude walked in earlier when I was trying to have a shower, with the aid of a HCA. She hadn't yet locked the door. Fortunately, I'd not quite disrobed..... He was someone else's partner, I think!

Was he lost?"

I imagine he thought he might use the loo, despite it being clearly labelled "patients only". Lots of visitors use the patient loos

By *1bttmMan
over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

"..... appear to have no concept of dignity. For context, this is on a gynaecology and early pregnancy ward. Sat here with a catheter strapped to my leg, in a short, backless hospital gown. I've not long since tortured myself by having a shower and as I'd just managed to get myself back onto the bed (with help from staff), a man just pops up with a ladder at the entrance to the room, and starts fiddling with the lights. He didn't check if it was okay and didn't pull the curtains. I physically cannot pull the curtains myself so I'm sat here in full view, trying to keep the gown down. It's not nice "

Better still tell him to go away then he will have to explain to someone he can't do the work. They will then ave to speak to the ward manager who should then sort the problem out.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"A dude walked in earlier when I was trying to have a shower, with the aid of a HCA. She hadn't yet locked the door. Fortunately, I'd not quite disrobed..... He was someone else's partner, I think!

Was he lost?

I imagine he thought he might use the loo, despite it being clearly labelled "patients only". Lots of visitors use the patient loos "

Too lazy to walk down the corridor to the public ones.

They don't realise there's a risk of infection and think it's ok.

over a year ago

North West

"..... appear to have no concept of dignity. For context, this is on a gynaecology and early pregnancy ward. Sat here with a catheter strapped to my leg, in a short, backless hospital gown. I've not long since tortured myself by having a shower and as I'd just managed to get myself back onto the bed (with help from staff), a man just pops up with a ladder at the entrance to the room, and starts fiddling with the lights. He didn't check if it was okay and didn't pull the curtains. I physically cannot pull the curtains myself so I'm sat here in full view, trying to keep the gown down. It's not nice

Better still tell him to go away then he will have to explain to someone he can't do the work. They will then ave to speak to the ward manager who should then sort the problem out."

It's a wee bit late now, he's fixed the light and gone on his merry way. I did press my buzzer but unfortunately no one was free until too late. Rearranging my bits n pieces at the moment takes all my effort and energy and I was trying to do that after my shower/torture.

over a year ago

Not all workmen in hospitals are like that,some workmen always put the patient first and foremost , regardless of situation... simply because it's what to do ...to some workmen the person that is a patient may well be their mother , sister or wife or girlfriend..and they ALWAYS give the patient full respect.

over a year ago

North West

"..... appear to have no concept of dignity. For context, this is on a gynaecology and early pregnancy ward. Sat here with a catheter strapped to my leg, in a short, backless hospital gown. I've not long since tortured myself by having a shower and as I'd just managed to get myself back onto the bed (with help from staff), a man just pops up with a ladder at the entrance to the room, and starts fiddling with the lights. He didn't check if it was okay and didn't pull the curtains. I physically cannot pull the curtains myself so I'm sat here in full view, trying to keep the gown down. It's not nice

Not all workmen in hospitals are like that,some workmen always put the patient first and foremost , regardless of situation... simply because it's what to do ...to some workmen the person that is a patient may well be their mother , sister or wife or girlfriend..and they ALWAYS give the patient full respect."

Thank you.

over a year ago

"No not nice but I would have thought it was up to the nurses to ensure their patients dignity and respect before allowing a workman to commence his job.

One would have thought so "

Any hospital where this happens has a terrible internal culture which encompasses all staff. Someone behaving like this is obviously used to doing so without consequence or reprimand.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm sorry this happened. I hope it doesn't happen to you again. My opinion is that at your most vulnerable as you are now you need your dignity and modesty protected by other people you shouldn't need of have to ask.

When in hospital before our daughter was born a woman doctor got quite huffy with me because I asked her to draw the blind on a ground floor window, next to a footpath right by my bed before she commenced an internal exam.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I will add though that many paramedics who attended my mum were scrupulous about covering her up or ensuring her privacy.

By *1bttmMan
over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

Better still tell him to go away then he will have to explain to someone he can't do the work. They will then ave to speak to the ward manager who should then sort the problem out.

It's a wee bit late now, he's fixed the light and gone on his merry way. I did press my buzzer but unfortunately no one was free until too late. Rearranging my bits n pieces at the moment takes all my effort and energy and I was trying to do that after my shower/torture. "

Still complain to the ward manager, not the nurse. That's really not acceptable and and explain despite yr best efforts to get someone's attention no one came. Find out what the hospital/trust's values are - a quick Google search should bring them up and I'm sure there will be something about respect/dignity/confidentiality/respect/care. Use them to explain how this has made u feel. If u have no success ask how u can make an official complaint of they don't take u seriously.

over a year ago

North West

^^^Thank you above. I've just been on a splendid adventure through the hospital in my bed. This time, my dignity (what remains of it ) remained intact. The bed driving was a bit suspect though

over a year ago

He was probably looking for sex toys and used knickers down the sides of the bed rails. He won't have realised there was a human woman in close proximity.

Hope they can fix you. Bionic lady.

over a year ago

North West

He was probably looking for sex toys and used knickers down the sides of the bed rails. He won't have realised there was a human woman in close proximity.

Hope they can fix you. Bionic lady. "

I've requested euthanasia, it's been that bad. We really do need to get to the bottom of it

over a year ago

I've requested euthanasia, it's been that bad. We really do need to get to the bottom of it "

Hope they have you pumped full of stuff that works. At least they have you in there and not just fobbed off with a paracetamol at home. X

over a year ago

North West

I've requested euthanasia, it's been that bad. We really do need to get to the bottom of it

Hope they have you pumped full of stuff that works. At least they have you in there and not just fobbed off with a paracetamol at home. X"

Oramorph

Codeine

Paracetamol

Pregabalin

Still in pain.

Post new Message to Thread