FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

New Year Awards, if you were offered one, would you accept it?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Danny Boyle turned his gong down.

Lennon sent his MBE back.

In the unlikely event of ever being offered one, I would refuse it as well. I dont really get how you can be a OBE, MBE, CBE, KBE of an Empire that doesnt exist. Its all a bit imperialistic for my liking

Would you accept or reject?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

in those pants

By *ustyBrunette35Couple
over a year ago

birmingham

Accept.. without a doubt x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I would accept in the spirit in which it was offered.

By *taffs_hotwifeCouple
over a year ago

wombourne

I would accept. Look good on the old CV.

over a year ago

"in those pants "

patriotism and imperialism are very different things!

Darth Vadar wore Death Star pants... imperialistic dick!

over a year ago

how did john lennon manage to refuse?...flummoxed here

over a year ago

"I would accept. Look good on the old CV."

I guess you would get better rooms in hotels and better tables at restaurants... maybe I should rethink

over a year ago

"how did john lennon manage to refuse?...flummoxed here "

The Fab Four were invested as Members of the British Empire in the Queen's Birthday Honours in 1965, after topping record charts around the world.

But later Lennon decided that he had sold out to the Establishment and returned his MBE to Her Majesty 25th November 1969 as part of ongoing peace protests masterminded with Yoko Ono.

In an accompanying letter Lennon said: "Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE as a protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against 'Cold Turkey' slipping down the charts. With Love, John Lennon."

Years later he was quoted as saying: "Lots of people who complained about us getting the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war.

"They got them for killing people. We deserved ours for not killing people. In a way it was hypocritical of me to accept it.

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

"in those pants

patriotism and imperialism are very different things!

Darth Vadar wore Death Star pants... imperialistic dick! "

i know the meanings thanku, and vadar wore death star pants interesting. it ws a joke mate,and wearing those pants id of thought u wld have a sense of humour oops how wrong

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 29/12/12 13:38:11]

over a year ago

i would only accept it if it was for a valid reason.

everyone has different reasons of course but for me it would have to be saving a life,rescuing someone from danger etc.

something which isnt everyday not a sport which you are good at.

only thing is when i disarmed a guy holding up a shop i did get a letter of thanks and in the paper but i was arrested for using excessive force at the time.

and then had to go through the whole court thing with his mates making further threats.

it did make me think is it all worth it but again if someone was in danger and i could do something about it i would.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

I think it's very ungrateful and a but pretensions to turn it down.

You dint have to use MBE or OBE after your name once you have it but to turn down an appreciation of your work is ungrateful

over a year ago

"i would only accept it if it was for a valid reason.

everyone has different reasons of course but for me it would have to be saving a life,rescuing someone from danger etc.

something which isnt everyday not a sport which you are good at.

only thing is when i disarmed a guy holding up a shop i did get a letter of thanks and in the paper but i was arrested for using excessive force at the time.

and then had to go through the whole court thing with his mates making further threats.

it did make me think is it all worth it but again if someone was in danger and i could do something about it i would.

"

Well done, a lot of people would not have intervened. Shame what happened afterwards

By *londeCazWoman
over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

I would accept gracefully, I know a couple of gong-holders (services to industry) who were absolutely stunned and honoured to get theirs

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

bearing in mind they tend to be given for charity and social work I would accept it.... I don't see a problem as long as some political capital isn't made out of it...

I don't think this is the last time he will be offered, it is well known he is not a fan of the coalition.. and the homage to the NHS he did in the opening ceremony, brilliantly done.. was kinda two fingers stuck up to the conservatives...

if and when labour get back in.. and they re-offer.. at that point I think he takes it

over a year ago

It would be an honour to be offered one, and I would accept it gracefully.

over a year ago

hahhaah...dunno why I thought the lennon mentioned was the current celtic manager lol-shows u I know feck all about the past lol

I doubt of course he'd accept a knighthood right enough lol

over a year ago

I’d accpet….

Hey it would look really good on my sideboard next to the Nobel Peace Prize and my Cycling Proficiency Certificate….!.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

My stepdads godfather was a sir, he was sir henry tate from tate and lyle suger

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

I think I deserve a full on knighthood. Not one of these give us 250k and will get you one... A proper hereditary knighthood with a 50k acre estate and castle taken from somebody who had pissed off the queen. Like in the good old days when we had an empire....

over a year ago

"I’d accpet….

Hey it would look really good on my sideboard next to the Nobel Peace Prize and my Cycling Proficiency Certificate….!. "

You have a Cycling Proficiency Certificate? Well done!

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"My stepdads godfather was a sir, he was sir henry tate from tate and lyle suger"

A very sweet man was Sir Henry

over a year ago

"I’d accpet….

Hey it would look really good on my sideboard next to the Nobel Peace Prize and my Cycling Proficiency Certificate….!.

You have a Cycling Proficiency Certificate? Well done!"

Thank-you.... but it was touch and go whether I'd passed , I think they gave me the benefit of the doubt because the pink tassels on the handle-bars of my bike got caught in the wheel-spokes during the stopping test and made me fall and scuff my knee....

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"My stepdads godfather was a sir, he was sir henry tate from tate and lyle suger

A very sweet man was Sir Henry "

ha ha ha, you nearly got me there i was just about to say did you know him

over a year ago

"I’d accpet….

Thank-you.... but it was touch and go whether I'd passed , I think they gave me the benefit of the doubt because the pink tassels on the handle-bars of my bike got caught in the wheel-spokes during the stopping test and made me fall and scuff my knee.... "

I hope they had a First Aid box with a Barbie plaster in there for your bo-bo

over a year ago

"I’d accpet….

Thank-you.... but it was touch and go whether I'd passed , I think they gave me the benefit of the doubt because the pink tassels on the handle-bars of my bike got caught in the wheel-spokes during the stopping test and made me fall and scuff my knee....

I hope they had a First Aid box with a Barbie plaster in there for your bo-bo "

No I just picked-out the embedded grit with a sharpened lollie-stick and tied a hankie around the wound….!.

I’d learned how to do that before I was expelled from the Brownies ….

By *Ryan-Man
over a year ago

In Your Bush

"My stepdads godfather was a sir, he was sir henry tate from tate and lyle suger

A very sweet man was Sir Henry

ha ha ha, you nearly got me there i was just about to say did you know him "

over a year ago

Reject

over a year ago

An OBE would be nice.

Oh yes I'd accept, then change my user name on here to 'ThisWayIn OBE', looks quite good I think. Could fabswingers devise a new badge to put on my profile?

And of course you do know that OBE stands for 'Oldest Bloke in Eastbourne', don't you?

over a year ago

My uncle has an MBE but has to pay a fee i think to keep his 'title'

over a year ago

"My uncle has an MBE but has to pay a fee i think to keep his 'title' "

Really, that's unbelievable. So the government gives you an award, and you have to pay for it. I'll send my OBE back.

PS. I not really the oldest bloke in Eastbourne

over a year ago

"My uncle has an MBE but has to pay a fee i think to keep his 'title'

Really, that's unbelievable. So the government gives you an award, and you have to pay for it. I'll send my OBE back.

PS. I not really the oldest bloke in Eastbourne"

He was awarded it back in 98 so not sure if its changed but apparently it was so that his daughter or son could if they wish get married in the Chapel of Westminster Abbey.. im trying to google info on it (i'm dammed sure thats what he said at the time) but google isn't coming up with anything. Still he is a business owner and doesn't have the MBE after his name anymore

over a year ago

If anyone else has an MBE feel free to correct me, cos i can't find shit on google regarding what ive stated in a previous post. So now doubting it is indeed correct and he was pulling my leg.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"If anyone else has an MBE feel free to correct me, cos i can't find shit on google regarding what ive stated in a previous post. So now doubting it is indeed correct and he was pulling my leg. "

My friends dad has one and i know she can get married in westminster abbey if she wants. Hes had it donkies years but dont know anything about paying to keep it

over a year ago

Right just phoned my grandmother.. she said it was a fee they pay each year not to keep the title but to maintain the chapel of Westminster Abbey should his children want to get married there.

So he keeps his title regardless if he pays it. Apparently its not a large amount and its taken from his Army pension

over a year ago

"My uncle has an MBE but has to pay a fee i think to keep his 'title'

PS. I not really the oldest bloke in Eastbourne"

no wonder Lennon told them to poke it

Post new Message to Thread