Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

A woman in chains...

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

The tears for fears song...what a great song.. Seemingly years ahead of its time. I'm amazed it hasn't been re released.

This is what they said about it..

"The song is about a woman who is trapped in a relationship with a bullying, possessive man (similar to "Wildflower" by Skylark). The duo performed this song with Oleta Adams, who later went on to a successful solo career, scoring a huge hit in 1991 with "Get Here."

Tears for Fears lead singer Roland Orzabal told Melody Maker about this song: "I was reading some feminist literature at the time and I discovered that there are societies in the world still in existence today that are non-patriarchal. They don't have the man at the top and the women at the bottom. They're matricentric - they have the woman at the center and these societies are a lot less violent, a lot less greedy and there's generally less animosity... but the song is also about how men traditionally play down the feminine side of their characters and how both men and women suffer for it.... I think men in a patriarchal society are sold down the river a bit - okay, maybe we're told that we're in control but there are also a hell of a lot of things that we miss out on, which women are allowed to be."

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

Bumping this because it's an oft-played song in my Tears For Fears playlist, which has a permanent residency in my streaming library.

But then choosing my favourite TFF song is like favouring one offspring over another.

"Swords and Knives" is another lesser-appreciated track that deserves a BIG mention.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

It's on my playlist.

I think Tears for Fears are an underrated band.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Is this a question?

By *inballs99Man
over a year ago

Blackheath

I'm not even sure why I am having a say in this,but I personally would go for Fleetwood Mac! Almost every song

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"Is this a question?"

No, but it's the answer to your audiophilic desires.

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Is this a question?

No, but it's the answer to your audiophilic desires."

You know sometimes... Especially if you love your music.. You hear a song from years ago and you go... "oh. My. God. That was awesome I haven't heard it in so long"? Songs from the big chair was a quality album. Treat your ears...

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

This is one of my favourite songs of all time. Appreciating the issues it broaches, I love his voice, her voice, the music, the lyrics. It’s awesome!

By *lue morphoCouple
over a year ago

manchester

Top, top tune

By *ensualMan
over a year ago

Sutton

A great song but I still prefer "Shout".

Post new Message to Thread