Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

how do i choose a good tattoo artist

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I've been thinking about getting a small tattoo on my groin. I want it somewhere where only people intimate to me will see it. I also want it to have some significance between my husband and I. The big question is how do I choose a good tattoo artist? I live in blackpool and there are loads of them, but how do I make sure they are any good and how do I know im not getting ripped off on the price? There is no one I know who has a tattoo and i really dont want anyone i work with to know im getting one so dont want to ask around. Can anyone give me some advice or knows a good one in blackpool they can recommend?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Have they been to art school.

Do they freehand

See their portfolio

Do they just trace and colour

Is there a long waiting list

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/12/12 22:38:03]

over a year ago

i chose mine because whenever i saw a really good quality tattoo on local people and i asked where they had it everyone of them said the same guy, seeing his work on other people was good enough for me to go visit him, it took me 7 months to get my first sitting as he was so busy, thats the sign of a good tattoist, if they can do you there and then walk away, theres a reason they're not busy, sadly my tattooist died this year thro cancer and i havnt had anymore done since as i havnt found anyone as good

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Also do they say a design you may like could be impoved upon or just take it and do it.

over a year ago

Check out the photos of their work, ask to meet the artist too, you have to be comfortable with them at all costs. I have been fortunate that the guy i go to also has two good apprentices. . Who all have their unique styles.

If in doubt simply walk away. . Most good tattooists along their work to speak for them, they should also bw able to help you with ideas, not force you into one. . Does Blackpool ever hold tattoo conventions, this might be a great avenue of seeing a load working all in one place xxx

over a year ago

Quality costs. Go into the shop, watch them work, get to know them. Different tattooists are good at different styles.. My guy is amazing at old school work but for stuff like tribal he's just good and you do want amazing so get to know the tattooist, find out what their favourite styles are. Look at their portfolios, and look at their facebook pages. Artists put their best and favourites into portfolios, pretty much all of their work will be on facebook. Look for someone with lots of experience. Dont go to anyone who offers to tattoo you then and there, if they're good, they'll have a lot of bookings and they'll want to have enough time to draw up your tattoo properly, make sure its perfect.

When you pick someone and they put the stencil on, if its not EXACTLY what you want, tell them. A good artist would much rather you let them know.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

".......The big question is how do I choose a good tattoo artist? ............"

Stop people in the street or in the pub whose tattoos you like the look of and ask them.

over a year ago

"Also do they say a design you may like could be impoved upon or just take it and do it.

"

mine was fab, i remember having my first arm done, i drew little bits and bobs of what i wanted and took it in on about 20 small pieces of paper, then sort of told him how i wanted it but then changed my mind and didnt like certain bits, he sat down with me for about 20 mins and drew a rough scetch of what i had taken in with what i said id like changing told me to leave it with him and he'd call me in a couple of day, which he did, i went to look at it and its was exactly what i imagined in my head only better, i have the ideas but im crap at putting it on paper, everyone i had after that i just sat and told him what i wanted and he just drew it just as i had it pictured in my head, he was faultless, besides the fact he was a little pervy but i could put up with that for his good work lol

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

And do they use good quality inks

over a year ago

"And do they use good quality inks"

come on your going OTT now

as someone whos never had a tattoo how would you know which is a good ink or not

over a year ago

I was camping near a seaside town in Dec 09, and decided to have a tattoo after walking past a couple of tattoo parlours.

Being low season, only one shop was opened, and I plucked up the courage to walk in, and asked to see some of his work, enquired about the cost, and duration etc...

I had a specific design in mind, and he was able to roughly translate it onto paper.

He has a lady friend that turned the draft into artwork that he could work with the next day. He openly admitted his lady friend was better at freehand drawing than him.

After showing me the final design, of which I was very happy with, we decided on the location of the tattoo (my right bum cheek). He made a transfer, agreed on the colour scheme with my input, and began to transfer the outline to my bum cheek before inking the outline and then filled in the colours.

It was quite a big tattoo, took a couple of hours to do, and hurt like hell.

However, I am very happy with the result, as it is of my own design, and means something to me.

It is a snake (I was born in the year of the snake) with long eyelashes, wearing a pearl necklace, wrapped around a deep pink rose.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks I was wondering that myself lol

over a year ago

Good luck OP, I hope it does not hurt too much!

By *ovely CummingsWoman
over a year ago

Peaky Nipples

Check out hawk eyes tattoo carnival in Blackpool, has a couple of really excellent and well respected artists working there

Post new Message to Thread