Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

another DIY electrical job

Jump to newest

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

Going to fit an extra 16 Amp MCB to the consumer unit, then run a cable into my bedroom, fit a double socket, then a fused spur to power up a security light for my driveway.

i think DIY electrics are fine as long as your confident in your ability to do the job safely, and you have done your research and know your doing things correctly.

Agree or disagree ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

As long as you can correctly test and certify the work go for it

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Going to fit an extra 16 Amp MCB to the consumer unit, then run a cable into my bedroom, fit a double socket, then a fused spur to power up a security light for my driveway.

i think DIY electrics are fine as long as your confident in your ability to do the job safely, and you have done your research and know your doing things correctly.

Agree or disagree ?"

Depends on what your house insurance says- and then theres the ever present fun phrase in the regs about being a 'competent person'

By *astandFeistyCouple
over a year ago

Bournemouth

Im not an expert but all that agg for a 100w bulb?

over a year ago

"Going to fit an extra 16 Amp MCB to the consumer unit, then run a cable into my bedroom, fit a double socket, then a fused spur to power up a security light for my driveway.

Agree or disagree ?"

Why not just connect the security light to an existing lighting circuit...

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Or find an electrician ,

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

Move house to one that has what you need already?

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

The way I see it is your electrics are either fitted safely and correct in accordance to the latest addition or the aren't. Simple as that. On your property if you have the skill and the knowledge to do that, then do that if you wish. If you can't or have any doubts you can get a qualified professional in.

over a year ago

Coventry

"Im not an expert but all that agg for a 100w bulb?"

Agreed. I think it depends on OPs max load calculations for the current nearest circuit for the light and/or their predictions on future expansion. But likewise I does seem OTT unless they're already hammering the existing circuit or got lofty future plans.

over a year ago

Coventry

Agree or disagree ?

Why not just connect the security light to an existing lighting circuit..."

I'm not a fan of security lights on lighting circuits. They tent to draw more than simple bulbs as not just more powerful bulbs but also power the PIR (granted it depend what you fit and if you may up power or run more off the same feed). And they can be more prone to fault and tripping leaving you literally in the dark if they trip a lighting circuit in darkness which is most likely as they only operate off your darkness setting. Personally I would run off the mains circuit.

By *ate_BMan
over a year ago

London

Agree or disagree ?"

Sounds good I did the same for a friend. Installed security lights and couple outdoor sockets. The right IP-rated gear, terminations and fused spur will keep the circuit sound.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Or put a plug on the end of wire for the security light.

No worries or testing required.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"Or put a plug on the end of wire for the security light.

No worries or testing required. "

Very true and the best option.

OK so as of BS7671 2021 if you add to an existing Distribution Board that DB must conform to BS7671 2021. I bet yours will not? Also the mcb installed must be of the same manufacturer as not to prevent distress to the busbar in the DB.

Outside light would also fall in to Part P of the building regulations so will need to be signed of with them. And must be covered by an RCD no grater then 30ma as will the new socket outlet.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

Doing it the way you describe is running a spur off a spur. Definitely not the way to do it. Not that it’s unsafe per-se, but it’s not best practice and it would make future overloading more likely if someone else started messing.

Better to fit a 32 amp breaker and run in a new ring to and from the double socket in 2.5mm t&e. Doing it this way uses more cable, but allows you to add as many extra sockets as you want in the future.

Either that, or break into an existing ring and extend it to the new socket.

You could spur off with a switched, fused outlet to power your security light, but again it’s not the way a professional would do it; lighting and power circuits should be separate. You should wire the external light in to a 6 amp breaker in the c/u in 1.5mm t&e with a switch somewhere convenient.

People doing electrical work DIY badly is exactly why we all have to put up with the half-baked nonsense that is Part-P. I’ve seen a few DIY jobs that put professionals to shame, and a few professional jobs that I wouldn’t ever sign off, but by and large, if you’re not sure, don’t do it.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Not sure why people are discussing ring mains for a lighting circuit?

Although I’m a spark, I’ve never done domestic stuff (apart from my own) and im fairly sure one of the floor board tuggers of the forum will be along with the correct current details soon- but a dedicated security lighting circuit on a 6 amp breaker makes more sense to me than introducing random extra socketry and spurs for a simple security light?

Have the spur if you want the extra level of protection and a switch, but a ring main?

Also, make sure you have a proper tester for your continuity, insulation resistance and your RCD functional test- a £15 multi meter from Argos isn’t going to cut it

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"Not sure why people are discussing ring mains for a lighting circuit?

"

Because he wants to put an extra double socket in his bedroom.

“Floorboard tugger”. I like that.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Not sure why people are discussing ring mains for a lighting circuit?

Because he wants to put an extra double socket in his bedroom.

“Floorboard tugger”. I like that. "

For an extra socket I’d break the existing ring the wire back to where to cut it off- if you’re sneaky, you can use some older cable so nobody can identify who did what when

over a year ago

Agree or disagree ?"

I would have to say no.

Should things go wrong and a fire start, which burns your house down, they may not pay out.

The same goes for trying to fix anyhthing involving your gas supply.

If you're a proper electrical or gas engineer then that might be different.

But check with your house insurer though.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"For an extra socket I’d break the existing ring the wire back to where to cut it off- if you’re sneaky, you can use some older cable so nobody can identify who did what when "

Yes, that’s exactly what I would do.

over a year ago

"As long as you can correctly test and certify the work go for it "

I Mr Furvert loves this been an electrical and mechanical engineer and holding in IEE qualification I can work and have done on all sorts of supplies and equipment AC and DC and in my past and current job in excess of 1000v

Not allowed to put in new stuff in my own home or domestic environment until I pay for the privilege of a "part P" bit of paper

Honestly I have seen stuff put in by "qualified" house bashers that would make your toes curl

By *orthcoupleCouple
over a year ago

Newcastle

Wish someone would sort my lights out

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"Doing it the way you describe is running a spur off a spur. Definitely not the way to do it. Not that it’s unsafe per-se, but it’s not best practice and it would make future overloading more likely if someone else started messing.

Better to fit a 32 amp breaker and run in a new ring to and from the double socket in 2.5mm t&e. Doing it this way uses more cable, but allows you to add as many extra sockets as you want in the future.

Either that, or break into an existing ring and extend it to the new socket.

You could spur off with a switched, fused outlet to power your security light, but again it’s not the way a professional would do it; lighting and power circuits should be separate. You should wire the external light in to a 6 amp breaker in the c/u in 1.5mm t&e with a switch somewhere convenient.

People doing electrical work DIY badly is exactly why we all have to put up with the half-baked nonsense that is Part-P. I’ve seen a few DIY jobs that put professionals to shame, and a few professional jobs that I wouldn’t ever sign off, but by and large, if you’re not sure, don’t do it. "

No he would be installing a radial on a 16amp mcb so that is not a problem.

By *ttentiveRabbitMan
over a year ago

Lymington

Oh just buy battery powered sex toys? :P

over a year ago

Op just wire it up to a car battery neatly boxed in, in the corner job done. Come back next week for more DIY tips, presented, by Fuck it, Bodge it and leg it, all work quarenteed till, we leave the front door....

By *ottom charlieMan
over a year ago

washington

Agree or disagree ?"

why not buy a solar powered light,,??

By *ttentiveRabbitMan
over a year ago

Lymington

" presented, by Fuck it, Bodge it and leg it, all work quarenteed till, we leave the front door...."

It’s not a bodge it’s an adapt to fit in the most economical way

over a year ago

" presented, by Fuck it, Bodge it and leg it, all work quarenteed till, we leave the front door....

It’s not a bodge it’s an adapt to fit in the most economical way "

Tell me that when I've fixed your roof with sky hooks

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"The way I see it is your electrics are either fitted safely and correct in accordance to the latest addition or the aren't. Simple as that. On your property if you have the skill and the knowledge to do that, then do that if you wish. If you can't or have any doubts you can get a qualified professional in."

Still has to be commissioned by a qualified electrician.

By *ttentiveRabbitMan
over a year ago

Lymington

" presented, by Fuck it, Bodge it and leg it, all work quarenteed till, we leave the front door....

Tell me that when I've fixed your roof with sky hooks "

Blue tack obviously but thinking about those command hooks…

over a year ago

Tell me that when I've fixed your roof with sky hooks

Blue tack obviously but thinking about those command hooks…"

Blue tact pfft, spit n cum my friend

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"The way I see it is your electrics are either fitted safely and correct in accordance to the latest addition or the aren't. Simple as that. On your property if you have the skill and the knowledge to do that, then do that if you wish. If you can't or have any doubts you can get a qualified professional in.

Still has to be commissioned by a qualified electrician."

Why if not In a part p area?

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

I personally am not a professional or qualified in house electrics but I am competent and confident doing them. Never had any issues as long as you use quality stuff and work safe

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The way I see it is your electrics are either fitted safely and correct in accordance to the latest addition or the aren't. Simple as that. On your property if you have the skill and the knowledge to do that, then do that if you wish. If you can't or have any doubts you can get a qualified professional in.

Why if not In a part p area?"

An outside light would be notifiable if it's on a NEW circuit. If he has to just take a spur from an existing circuit, then there would be no issue.

For me personally, I would add the aforementioned double socket to the existing socket circuit and run the spur for the outside light from there.

Cal

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

An outside light would be notifiable if it's on a NEW circuit. If he has to just take a spur from an existing circuit, then there would be no issue.

For me personally, I would add the aforementioned double socket to the existing socket circuit and run the spur for the outside light from there.

Cal"

But if he installed the twin socket and then put the light on a plug top.

As its in a bedroom it wood fall out side of part P.

But if as stated buy OP adding a new MCB this should be added to an A type RCD to protect that circuit. And you could say an installation certificate issued and Notification given to Building control.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

OP do you get the point (no pun intended) The regulations are a mine field.

Anything you do should be tested but the problem can be when you come to sell the property.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

But if he installed the twin socket and then put the light on a plug top.

As its in a bedroom it wood fall out side of part P.

But if as stated buy OP adding a new MCB this should be added to an A type RCD to protect that circuit. And you could say an installation certificate issued and Notification given to Building control.

"

Yes, plugging the light in would negate the part-p bit.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"As long as you can correctly test and certify the work go for it

I Mr Furvert loves this been an electrical and mechanical engineer and holding in IEE qualification I can work and have done on all sorts of supplies and equipment AC and DC and in my past and current job in excess of 1000v

Not allowed to put in new stuff in my own home or domestic environment until I pay for the privilege of a "part P" bit of paper

Honestly I have seen stuff put in by "qualified" house bashers that would make your toes curl "

I'm similar- have wired and tested numerous 3 phase systems up to 600amps per phase on millions of pounds worth of kit with the potential to cause injury or death to 1000's of people...but can't stick half a meter of T&E in my house as i don't have the correct ticket but the guy who installed my parents bathroom is ok to wire the down lights in to choc block wrapped in sparky tape

So has part P been buggered about with again- i thought it was there so kitchen and bathroom fitters could bodge some lights and a the odd hob unit in? #thegreatregsbookscam!

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

"As long as you can correctly test and certify the work go for it

Honestly I have seen stuff put in by "qualified" house bashers that would make your toes curl

I'm similar- have wired and tested numerous 3 phase systems up to 600amps per phase on millions of pounds worth of kit with the potential to cause injury or death to 1000's of people...but can't stick half a meter of T&E in my house as i don't have the correct ticket but the guy who installed my parents bathroom is ok to wire the down lights in to choc block wrapped in sparky tape

So has part P been buggered about with again- i thought it was there so kitchen and bathroom fitters could bodge some lights and a the odd hob unit in? #thegreatregsbookscam! "

No but as you know the 18th amendment 2 has made it hard to alter with out upgrading DB

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"Or put a plug on the end of wire for the security light.

No worries or testing required.

Very true and the best option.

OK so as of BS7671 2021 if you add to an existing Distribution Board that DB must conform to BS7671 2021. I bet yours will not? Also the mcb installed must be of the same manufacturer as not to prevent distress to the busbar in the DB.

Outside light would also fall in to Part P of the building regulations so will need to be signed of with them. And must be covered by an RCD no grater then 30ma as will the new socket outlet."

Job went ok, and i did use the same wylex MCB as is already in the consumer unit, it is the correct ratting 16 Amp for a radial circuit, and the fused spur will be fitted with a 3 Amp fuse for the security light. it is also RCD protected, main reason for doing this is i wanted the power supply coming through the wall at the point i am fitting the light, i did not want a cable running half way across the front of the house looking a mess.

By *riskygaz OP   Man
over a year ago

birmingham

"OP do you get the point (no pun intended) The regulations are a mine field.

Anything you do should be tested but the problem can be when you come to sell the property."

i know we have lots of regulations for electrics, but we also know lots of people do DIY stuff, i feel i do my research and do things correctly and safely. And at the end of the day who is going to know what you did and what was already done. As for when you sell the house an EICR would be done and any problems would have to be fixed, i am happy with what i have done.

Post new Message to Thread