Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Serious question guys about tattooing an Om sign

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

The OH is getting one tattooed on her foot in January. We have just visited a friend who is very spiritual and a practicing Buddhist. She thinks that tattooing one on the foot will bring luck as the foot is considered dirty.

Needless to say, this has thrown a spanner in the works. Does anyone know about the Om and whether it is bad luck to do it. All we can find is that Hinduism/ Buddhism seems to say that you should not be tattooed with anything below the waist.

The OH is having this tatt'ed as it has a lot of meaning to her, but she does not want to do something that will bring bad luck or cause offence.

Thanks muchly x

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Surely it depends on wether or not she subscribes to the religion related to the sign?

If the significance is not religious then it doesn't matter on the superstition

over a year ago

"Surely it depends on wether or not she subscribes to the religion related to the sign?

If the significance is not religious then it doesn't matter on the superstition "

The Om sign is used in her religion, so it has significance. It is the first time we have heard about having a tatt below the waist and especially the feet as being disrespectful or bad luck

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I believe it has something to do with making holes in your body. Below the waist your spirit when you pass would leave the body and go into the 'lower realms'

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Not bring an expert on the religion I can't say for sure but I'm not sure any religious symbol was planned to be tattooed on someone so how can anyone say it is bad luck?

Maybe the fact that the foot is considered a dirty place would signify disrespect but not bad luck. Perhaps she could consult a person of authority locally

over a year ago

Have the tattoo where she will appreciate it and be proud of it.

Why hide away on the foot when there are many places your other half can choose.

Wear your ink with pride, the design means whatever it means to you, it shouldn't matter where or what the symbol is, as long as it is has a special meaning to you.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

The sound of all sounds sounds a good idea. I'd go for shoulder so more people can see it. Although her foot might have a sole, personally, if there's any conflict (like Darth Vader had), I'd e guided by instinct. If it doesn't feel right.....

over a year ago

Pretty sure the spaghetti monster in the sky won't mind if she gets her foot tattoo'd

over a year ago

If its bad luck to have that tattooed below the waist then whoops! as I have one that is wayyyy below my waist. Quite low below my belly button actually.

Think you should get it tattooed where you feel comfortable with it, where you feel its right and more meaningful to you.

It should be your choice and your decision especially if your not religious or spiritual.

Hope it all goes well and hope this helps.

over a year ago

Thanks guys. The reason she wants it on her foot is not for public display, but as a point of focus during her meditation.

Appreciate the feedback, it is in line with our feelings on it

x

Post new Message to Thread