Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The voice in your head

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Intrapersonal communication is the process by which an individual communicates within themselves, acting as both sender and receiver of messages, and encompasses the use of unspoken words to consciously engage in self-talk and inner speech.

Do you have a voice in your head? Surprisingly,not everyone does, but if you do, what does it say and is it kind?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

No, I don't have one. My waking thoughts, at least, are all conscious and willed.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

" Intrapersonal communication is the process by which an individual communicates within themselves, acting as both sender and receiver of messages, and encompasses the use of unspoken words to consciously engage in self-talk and inner speech.

Do you have a voice in your head? Surprisingly,not everyone does, but if you do, what does it say and is it kind?"

All the time. We usually argue a lot.

Sometimes the voice is a coach, sometimes a little naughty prankster, sometimes it whispers: aww you daft girl, of course you'll be OK.

Comes useful

What about you OP?

By *adMerWoman
over a year ago

Sandwich

There used to be many voices, but since working on my emotional trauma they’ve integrated into one ish lol.

over a year ago

all the time my best friend knows me better than anyone

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

I have a voice which explains things, or I have an internal conversation with... with a second voice I guess but that sounds weird now that I say it I also think in images and 3D shapes sometimes

LvM

over a year ago

I hear voices in my

They council me

They understand

They talk to me

You got your rules and your religion

All designed to keep you safe

But when rules start getting broken

You start questioning your faith

I have a voice that is my savior

Hates to love and loves to hate

I have a voice that has the knowledge

And the power to rule your fate

I hear voices crying

I see heroes dying

I taste blood that's drying

I feel tension rising

I hear voices in my head

They council me

They understand

They talk to me They tell me things that I will do

They show me things I'll do to you

They talk to me

By *mp411Man
over a year ago

chester

Mostly my voice says yeah go on do it and then laughs when it all goes spectacularly wrong

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"I have a voice which explains things, or I have an internal conversation with... with a second voice I guess but that sounds weird now that I say it I also think in images and 3D shapes sometimes

LvM"

From what I read, some people have several. Though there's some intriguing reading regarding methods to calm the voices.

Definitely not weird find it fascinating how we operate as humans.

By *itonthesideWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

The idea that people don’t “hear” their inner voice always blows my mind , even when reading stuff i hear it in my head … do they just have a silent emptiness? Is it unsettling?

over a year ago

"No, I don't have one. My waking thoughts, at least, are all conscious and willed."

This I find interesting.

Do you think then, that voices in your head are unwilled? Therefore meaning unwelcome?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

The voice isn’t in my head, I speak it out loud.

Get some pretty funny looks sometimes

Having a discussion/argument with yourself in the supermarket and trying to convince a bemused fellow shopper that you are not a complete friutloop.

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

"No, I don't have one. My waking thoughts, at least, are all conscious and willed.

This I find interesting.

Do you think then, that voices in your head are unwilled? Therefore meaning unwelcome?

"

No, not at all. I just couldn't say, because I don't have one. It might be lovely, but I wouldn't know.

over a year ago

" Intrapersonal communication is the process by which an individual communicates within themselves, acting as both sender and receiver of messages, and encompasses the use of unspoken words to consciously engage in self-talk and inner speech.

Do you have a voice in your head? Surprisingly,not everyone does, but if you do, what does it say and is it kind?"

If I was going to expose on here, my inner intrusive critical automated negative thoughts, you'd think I was a mad, generally the intrapersonal communication is not kind in its nature,

over a year ago

"The idea that people don’t “hear” their inner voice always blows my mind , even when reading stuff i hear it in my head … do they just have a silent emptiness? Is it unsettling? "

I think that people who don't 'hear' their own internal monologue maybe don't spend that much time by themselves or with their own thoughts as it's too scary? Like they just turn on the TV as soon as they wake, or pick up their phone and allow their mind to focus on anything but their own thoughts

By *iromancergirl1Woman
over a year ago

bolton

I hear my own voice in my head all the time more so when I have a lot on my mind and things I need to work through it helps me work through conflict but can also be my own worst enemy.

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

"The idea that people don’t “hear” their inner voice always blows my mind , even when reading stuff i hear it in my head … do they just have a silent emptiness? Is it unsettling? "

I love the silence. It's calm. But also, I work in a busy environment, with lots of voices. I listen to lots of music, audiobooks, radio. I talk with friends and family. There isn't nearly as much silence as you'd think, and it is always welcome.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Helps me re evaluate rather than jumping in the voice gives me great advice

over a year ago

"No, I don't have one. My waking thoughts, at least, are all conscious and willed.

This I find interesting.

No, not at all. I just couldn't say, because I don't have one. It might be lovely, but I wouldn't know."

So, for example, what goes on in your mind in the shower, or waiting for a bus, or anything that doesn't require focused thinking. I'm not being suggestive, generally curious..or do you just think "oooh this soap smells nice"

By *itonthesideWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"The idea that people don’t “hear” their inner voice always blows my mind , even when reading stuff i hear it in my head … do they just have a silent emptiness? Is it unsettling?

I think that people who don't 'hear' their own internal monologue maybe don't spend that much time by themselves or with their own thoughts as it's too scary? Like they just turn on the TV as soon as they wake, or pick up their phone and allow their mind to focus on anything but their own thoughts

"

See I don’t know if it’s just me , but my inner voice isn’t just opinions. It’s almost like narration. so as i type this i hear it being said in my head, same when i read other peoples posts.

So even if I didnt want to sit with my own thoughts I would still hear the voice

over a year ago

Not so much a voice in my head, that gets drowned out by tinitis, but I'm definitely coerced by devil whisperings to do mischief

over a year ago

"Not so much a voice in my head, that gets drowned out by tinitis, but I'm definitely coerced by devil whisperings to do mischief "

Me too

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

This I find interesting.

No, not at all. I just couldn't say, because I don't have one. It might be lovely, but I wouldn't know.

So, for example, what goes on in your mind in the shower, or waiting for a bus, or anything that doesn't require focused thinking. I'm not being suggestive, generally curious..or do you just think "oooh this soap smells nice""

There is a lovely holly bush by my bus stop, so I might look at that and think about the gorgeous deep green and vivid red, or the beautiful carol 'The Holly and the Ivy', or the Christian symbolism, or Dickens' Ghost of Christmas Present...or I might think about what I am planning to do, or any number of things. But only if I choose to. Otherwise, my brain just...powers down. It's not always 'on', I suppose, is the simplest way of putting it.

over a year ago

"Not so much a voice in my head, that gets drowned out by tinitis, but I'm definitely coerced by devil whisperings to do mischief

Me too "

That's because it's the same devil...horny little git he is

over a year ago

"The idea that people don’t “hear” their inner voice always blows my mind , even when reading stuff i hear it in my head … do they just have a silent emptiness? Is it unsettling?

See I don’t know if it’s just me , but my inner voice isn’t just opinions. It’s almost like narration. so as i type this i hear it being said in my head, same when i read other peoples posts.

So even if I didnt want to sit with my own thoughts I would still hear the voice "

It isn't just you I'm exactly like this. My thoughts are my inner voice and everything I read and write also. Sometimes I just wish I'd bloody well shut up.

over a year ago

"Mostly my voice says yeah go on do it and then laughs when it all goes spectacularly wrong "

Funny enough that’s what mine do as well

over a year ago

"Not so much a voice in my head, that gets drowned out by tinitis, but I'm definitely coerced by devil whisperings to do mischief

Me too

That's because it's the same devil...horny little git he is "

Well you can have mine as she’s doing me head in

By *unnoisseurMan
over a year ago

Stratford

Me too "

Yeah was talking to myself to decide how to respond.

Remember having dreams where people apoke different languages. Some I understood others I didn’t. Felt really weird when I woke up wondering if any of them were correct as I only speak English.

Why would I have a dream like that? I asked myself.

over a year ago

Me too

Well you can have mine as she’s doing me head in "

You are aware that it's a self effegy?

over a year ago

Me too

You are aware that it's a self effegy? "

Errrrr dur

over a year ago

Yeah, and if gets on my tits. We're currently annoyed with one another and we aren't speaking

By *eard and BoobsCouple
over a year ago

Portstewart

Beard here mine is usually being nasty and doesn't like me very much but it's only in my head and it's locked up very well 99.9% of the time

over a year ago

Me too

Errrrr dur "

Well if it's any consolation, your devil has got her boobies out...again

over a year ago

Me too

Errrrr dur

Well if it's any consolation, your devil has got her boobies out...again "

I can’t control her

over a year ago

Mine got hooked on your opening sentence and is currently singing 'Calling occupants of interplanetary, most extraordinary craft'

By *idlandiaMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

I have an inner voice, usually saying what I'm thinking in unison.

I feel it in my head rather than straight up hear it, if that sounds right.

If I'm bored I make it speak in different accents.

If its bored it might interject something like "what does infinity feel like" or "remember that embarrassing thing you did years ago"

By *lephantisMan
over a year ago

Oxford

"Mine got hooked on your opening sentence and is currently singing 'Calling occupants of interplanetary, most extraordinary craft' "

Not just that, but now that transcendent key change. Quite the earworm.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

isn't that thinking?

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Yeah.. Sounds like Alan carr

over a year ago

"Mine got hooked on your opening sentence and is currently singing 'Calling occupants of interplanetary, most extraordinary craft' "

Damn you....I sooo love that song!!

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

Oh yes, very much. On the plus side, he's very rational, which helps me keep calm, especially at times of stress. But he's not especially kind. In fact, he thinks I'm a bit of a dick.

over a year ago

"isn't that thinking? "

Shhussshhh.. They'll hear you

over a year ago

"Mine got hooked on your opening sentence and is currently singing 'Calling occupants of interplanetary, most extraordinary craft'

Not just that, but now that transcendent key change. Quite the earworm."

I'll have it for days now.. I'll have to spotify it

over a year ago

"Mine got hooked on your opening sentence and is currently singing 'Calling occupants of interplanetary, most extraordinary craft'

Damn you....I sooo love that song!!"

Me too

over a year ago

"Oh yes, very much. On the plus side, he's very rational, which helps me keep calm, especially at times of stress. But he's not especially kind. In fact, he thinks I'm a bit of a dick."

What if your inner voice was a different gender??

By *ou only live onceMan
over a year ago

London

"Oh yes, very much. On the plus side, he's very rational, which helps me keep calm, especially at times of stress. But he's not especially kind. In fact, he thinks I'm a bit of a dick.

What if your inner voice was a different gender?? "

I think she/they'd be very rational, but probably think I was a bit of a dick!

over a year ago

Me too "

Uninteresting fact .... Karen Carpenter played drums on that track

over a year ago

Me too

Uninteresting fact .... Karen Carpenter played drums on that track"

Oh i didn't know she played drums my mum loved her

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I don't think I have an inner voice. If there is anything that has a semblance of that then it's a 'voice' that occasionally manifests itself in times of crisis: re-enacting possible outcomes or scenarios.

But no.

By *uietly_KinkyMan
over a year ago

High Wycombe

I do. He's a cunt.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Thought everyone has an inner monologue?

over a year ago

You really don't want to know

By *ang bang bangity bangCouple
over a year ago

Sunderland

Absolutely do. It's a little bit like a narrative although it often switches to shapes abd images if I'm mapping something out. I've often wondered if this is similar to how some people can automatically visualise 2D images in 3D format while some people can't, and if the automatic 3D people then think in 3D moving shapes.

Also do multilingual people's voice in their head vary language?

Mr

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

My inner monologue is alive and well and she talks a lot of sense…. Most of the time.

Sometimes she’s a little naughty. I love her

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

I don't have an "inner voice". The concept is alien to me.

I've heard some people say that when they wake up, they ponder what they are going to do that day. Take the dog for a walk. Take the kids out. Go for a meal. Go to the movies. What creeps me out is they say they hear these thoughts in their voice. Which to me sound bizarre.

Why would your inner voice discuss with you to do things ? Surely, you'd just, er..do them ?

over a year ago

"Mostly my voice says yeah go on do it and then laughs when it all goes spectacularly wrong "

Arrrrrgggghhhhh ha yesss that’s what my voice/voices in my head say too

over a year ago

I have an inner voice usually just sounding out in my head what I what to do and how I am going to achieve it, what I have to do that day etc. I talk to myself all the time when I am walking the dogs

over a year ago

"isn't that thinking? "

Lol love it!

over a year ago

Maybe the voices are the controllers of the simulation we are all playing.

over a year ago

All the time. Even external, when I talk to myself. I ask questions, confirm things, argue, tell jokes. all to myself.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

He says... I don't like Mondays

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Yes but I can only access him when I drive for some reason

over a year ago

Yep i can hear the voice in my own head. But strangely, when i'm reading something who i know who it's from, say a card from a family member, i read it in their voice!

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Sometimes talk out aloud when working on tech. Usually "ffs why is that not working?!".

over a year ago

If anyone has ever seen crazy ex girlfriend, the song she sings to herself about being a stupid bitch and ruining everything is pretty much my internal monologue, particularly when it comes to dating

By *rispyDuckMan
over a year ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

That voice in your head is called "Schizophrenia"

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I spend a lot of time inside my own head thinking things through and I find it useful to “talk” to myself to work out ideas etc but I don’t hear “voices”. What I hear is me.

Genuinely curious about those people who hear several voices - are they actually “people” talking to you? Is it a conscious thing to activate them or do they just pop up?

By *ellinever70Woman
over a year ago

Ayrshire

I think it's called thinking

Post new Message to Thread