Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Expectations. Am I wrong?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

When food is given to me which I’m expected to pay for (or have already paid for when it’s fast food) is it too much to ask that the food is seasoned? With that I expect some salt/vinager/pepper to be thrown at these gorgeous ingredients enhancing those flavours you should be taking care of before it reaches myself.

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think there’s some regs which means they either have to not add salt or give you a no salt option

over a year ago

In a high quality restaurant I would expect a good cook/chef to know how to season the food. But in an average place or cafe I'd rather do it to my own taste than risk them doing it badly.

By *lderflowerappleWoman
over a year ago

Basingstoke

Nope... sorry, but seasoning is a personal preference. Chef should cook the food to their taste, and any seasoning should be down to the consumer to add once they've tasted the delight set before them.

over a year ago

"I think there’s some regs which means they either have to not add salt or give you a no salt option "

It’s political correctness gone mad!!!!

over a year ago

Bear in mind some people like plain and other have allergies. If we’re talking about take outs.

You have mouth so speak up and say what you want and don’t expect people to read your mind. High street restaurants they ask,if they don’t,we’ll tell them what you want and how you want it.

Mrs

over a year ago

"Nope... sorry, but seasoning is a personal preference. Chef should cook the food to their taste, and any seasoning should be down to the consumer to add once they've tasted the delight set before them."

But if I cooked it, it would be perfectly seasoned to the taste it should be.

Who the hell would cook a steak and not season it Perfectly? A savage!! That’s who.

over a year ago

Most food in restaurants is not as good as what we make at home, admitted it takes time, practice and some money to perfect recipes, but we got there. There are very few places we go that we are truly impressed x

over a year ago

"In a high quality restaurant I would expect a good cook/chef to know how to season the food. But in an average place or cafe I'd rather do it to my own taste than risk them doing it badly."

Hahaha. “Just pass me the salt sachet Mary!!!”

over a year ago

I'm the opposite, I get annoyed if they have done it as I'd rather add myself. The worst is when they add balsamic vinegar which wasn't mentioned on menu, that's my dinner ruined as I can't stand the stuff!

over a year ago

Why should the rest of us have to accept your choice of seasoning?

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Nah, lemme season it myself. Or at least ask if I want X or Y on it.

LvM

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

I like an absolute shitload of salt so even if they did it would need more, exception being the lasses in the local chippy they got it down to a tee now they get it perfect every time

over a year ago

"I think there’s some regs which means they either have to not add salt or give you a no salt option

It’s political correctness gone mad!!!! "

Like calling the salt pepper cos it identifies as pepper?

You must be a nightmare in restaurants

over a year ago

"I like an absolute shitload of salt so even if they did it would need more, exception being the lasses in the local chippy they got it down to a tee now they get it perfect every time "

Vinegar. Loads of it. That’s what I like in a chippy. Americans don’t understand vinegar what’s that about?

over a year ago

"I think there’s some regs which means they either have to not add salt or give you a no salt option

It’s political correctness gone mad!!!!

Like calling the salt pepper cos it identifies as pepper?

You must be a nightmare in restaurants "

Haha. None Grindery …. *sorry, I couldn’t help this!

over a year ago

"I'm the opposite, I get annoyed if they have done it as I'd rather add myself. The worst is when they add balsamic vinegar which wasn't mentioned on menu, that's my dinner ruined as I can't stand the stuff!"

Ooh. Balsamic is strong. That should be listed!!!

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"When food is given to me which I’m expected to pay for (or have already paid for when it’s fast food) is it too much to ask that the food is seasoned? With that I expect some salt/vinager/pepper to be thrown at these gorgeous ingredients enhancing those flavours you should be taking care of before it reaches myself.

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning? "

No I'd like the choice to add pepper, i definitely wouldn't add salt to anything and boiling potatoes in salt water you just don't need to

over a year ago

"I like an absolute shitload of salt so even if they did it would need more, exception being the lasses in the local chippy they got it down to a tee now they get it perfect every time

Vinegar. Loads of it. That’s what I like in a chippy. Americans don’t understand vinegar what’s that about? "

I sat with a dude from the US, as we sat in a Harry Ramsden in Orlando. He’d literally gone out of his way to get chips from there gif the vinegar on them. He said his family just didn’t get it! great guy.

over a year ago

"When food is given to me which I’m expected to pay for (or have already paid for when it’s fast food) is it too much to ask that the food is seasoned? With that I expect some salt/vinager/pepper to be thrown at these gorgeous ingredients enhancing those flavours you should be taking care of before it reaches myself.

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning? No I'd like the choice to add pepper, i definitely wouldn't add salt to anything and boiling potatoes in salt water you just don't need to "

Yes you do.

By *oom Bang a BangMan
over a year ago

Watford

I like to be able to tell the chippy how much salt n vinegar to add on, wouldn't be happy with their idea on the level of seasoning.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

I don't like salt or pepper on anything.

Other than salt on chips

over a year ago

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning? No I'd like the choice to add pepper, i definitely wouldn't add salt to anything and boiling potatoes in salt water you just don't need to "

Ok so why do we boil potatoes (well I would if I actually cooked but ya know best with ) but.. not chips? They all potatoes. Just different shapes. Different strokes.

over a year ago

"I don't like salt or pepper on anything.

Other than salt on chips "

Wierdo.

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning? "

No because I don't like too much salt

over a year ago

Potatoes and other veg and pasta will absorb the salt from boiling water and improve the taste (if you like salted food). The mistake people make is not adding enough salt.

over a year ago

Many chefs use lemon, not salt (apparently).

I don't tend to use seasoning other than spices ... So I suspect chefs feeding us would disappoint one

over a year ago

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning? No I'd like the choice to add pepper, i definitely wouldn't add salt to anything and boiling potatoes in salt water you just don't need to

Potatoes and other veg and pasta will absorb the salt from boiling water and improve the taste (if you like salted food). The mistake people make is not adding enough salt."

That’s true. I had food without salt once. It turned me gay. I now think of low salt sauce options as bisexual condiments.

By *lik and PaulCouple
over a year ago

Flagrante

"I'm the opposite, I get annoyed if they have done it as I'd rather add myself. The worst is when they add balsamic vinegar which wasn't mentioned on menu, that's my dinner ruined as I can't stand the stuff!"

Can't stand balsamic either and I wouldn't be able to eat the meal. The thing that gets me is when someone puts salt and pepper on without tasting the food first...downright disrespectful to the chef.

over a year ago

Anyone else feel let down when you have to add your own seasoning? No I'd like the choice to add pepper, i definitely wouldn't add salt to anything and boiling potatoes in salt water you just don't need to

Potatoes and other veg and pasta will absorb the salt from boiling water and improve the taste (if you like salted food). The mistake people make is not adding enough salt.

That’s true. I had food without salt once. It turned me gay. I now think of low salt sauce options as bisexual condiments. "

over a year ago

"Many chefs use lemon, not salt (apparently).

"

This is now becoming a thing. I’m going to suggest the teqnique Down at the Big Butts cafe near me.

over a year ago

This is now becoming a thing. I’m going to suggest the teqnique Down at the Big Butts cafe near me. "

forget the salt. Tommy k and daddy's sauce is the important additions there.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

Seasoning is a personal choice & I'd prefer to season my own. My local Chinese puts so much salt on chips that for me they're almost inedible

over a year ago

This is now becoming a thing. I’m going to suggest the teqnique Down at the Big Butts cafe near me. forget the salt. Tommy k and daddy's sauce is the important additions there. "

Daddy’s sauce in the Big Butts might be a health code violation.

over a year ago

This is now becoming a thing. I’m going to suggest the teqnique Down at the Big Butts cafe near me. forget the salt. Tommy k and daddy's sauce is the important additions there.

Daddy’s sauce in the Big Butts might be a health code violation. "

over a year ago

This is now becoming a thing. I’m going to suggest the teqnique Down at the Big Butts cafe near me. forget the salt. Tommy k and daddy's sauce is the important additions there.

Daddy’s sauce in the Big Butts might be a health code violation. "

And a continued investigation

over a year ago

If I spat on someone’s food are we technically snogging if they eat it? Asking for errrm a friend.

over a year ago

And a continued investigation "

What like a probe?

over a year ago

"If I spat on someone’s food are we technically snogging if they eat it? Asking for errrm a friend. "

Oh I’m

Not sure. But now you’ve mentioned this, I should stop asking the girl at the KFC till for a snog.

over a year ago

What like a probe? "

They should look into it deeply.

over a year ago

What like a probe?

They should look into it deeply. "

I’ve no doubt they would be exonerated. Anul probe.

over a year ago

If it's fast food it's uniform by design.

Doctor it yourself

over a year ago

What like a probe?

They should look into it deeply.

I’ve no doubt they would be exonerated. Anul probe. "

Bravo

Post new Message to Thread