Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Knee injuries

Jump to newest

By *ackformore100 OP   Man
over a year ago

Tin town

There's lots of folks here who do plenty of exercise. Anyone got any recommendations to settle down and ultimalty prevent knee pain.?

History is... As a young man had a grade 3 acl, arthroscopy but it continies to flare up. Anyone got anything they have tried and worked?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ixie BeanMan
over a year ago

Wallasey

Can't say wether it works or not because IV never tried it but many people swear by CBD for joint pain ... I prefer to use THC for my joints

By *ixie BeanMan
over a year ago

Wallasey

Cod liver oil gets touted alot too ...

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

"Can't say wether it works or not because IV never tried it but many people swear by CBD for joint pain ... I prefer to use THC for my joints "

me too

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

Happened to watch this a few days ago - might help might not. Goes into causes but onto exercises post op at around 12 mins in. Gives sensible advice on not overdoing things, realising small adjustments are needed to increase strength

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6loNMqxj7A

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

For me (picked up ACL skiing) was low impact exercise, typically cycling with no load. Took me 6 months before I could get full articulation on my knee.

over a year ago

Tin town

"For me (picked up ACL skiing) was low impact exercise, typically cycling with no load. Took me 6 months before I could get full articulation on my knee."

Did you power on through the pain.? Or stop until it had gone and then start exercise again?

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

"For me (picked up ACL skiing) was low impact exercise, typically cycling with no load. Took me 6 months before I could get full articulation on my knee.

Did you power on through the pain.? Or stop until it had gone and then start exercise again? "

No pains there for a reason, if it hurt I backed off until it didn't so much.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

There's a YouTube guy called Kneesovertoesguy. Recommend you check him out.

over a year ago

I recently had keyhole surgery for a meniscus tear, currently doing physio everyday.

Physiotherapist has said to take things gently but to continue with exercises even though they hurt. She said it's all about building the strength back up in the leg.

Not sure if an ACL injury is the same?

By *uxuriantCouple
over a year ago

Sometimes Here, Sometimes There

As a former sports therapist I would say the biggest single thing you could do to help yourself is to work on strengthening leg muscles. Specifically, Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, calf muscles (Gastroc and Soleus). Add in some balance work and see how you go. Avoid impact work when in pain.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I had knee weakness when I was younger. No specific injury

I'd talk to a physio if possible. What he told me was squats and lots of them. Work through low level pain but not more

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

From my experience, go no exercise for a week or so and just rest. A bit of light stretching and ice where needed. Then if we're talking weights, go much lighter than usual or down to bodyweight and see how your injury responds. Cardio wise, swimming can be excellent to take pressure of limbs.

LvM

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"Can't say wether it works or not because IV never tried it but many people swear by CBD for joint pain ... I prefer to use THC for my joints "

Worth a try.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"Cod liver oil gets touted alot too ..."

If I don't take all of my vitamins and minerals, I feel shit.

I have to take extra iron and vitamin b complex ( thalassemia carrier) and extra Vitamin C to help the iron absorb. I take extra vitamin D because I have black skin and live in a sunless country. Lol! I take extra magnesium because I'm a clinical psychological insomniac.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"Happened to watch this a few days ago - might help might not. Goes into causes but onto exercises post op at around 12 mins in. Gives sensible advice on not overdoing things, realising small adjustments are needed to increase strength

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6loNMqxj7A "

The lady in this said over 35 is "older patients" Lol! That's us doomed.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"For me (picked up ACL skiing) was low impact exercise, typically cycling with no load. Took me 6 months before I could get full articulation on my knee."

I second regular low impact exercise. cycling or swimming... I cycle but my hip is playing up so I have to switch to swimming more.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"For me (picked up ACL skiing) was low impact exercise, typically cycling with no load. Took me 6 months before I could get full articulation on my knee.

Did you power on through the pain.? Or stop until it had gone and then start exercise again? "

My Mom a retired nurse said once you damage it, there will always be flare-ups. I deal with my flares by going back to the rehabilitation stage.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

Did you power on through the pain.? Or stop until it had gone and then start exercise again?

No pains there for a reason, if it hurt I backed off until it didn't so much. "

Yeah don't go wild like I did cycling for 30 minutes and then my physio was not impressed. Lol! I did a front crawl/freestyle doggy paddle last week and my quad was in more pain than I every felt before. Lol! Back to the breaststroke for me.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"I recently had keyhole surgery for a meniscus tear, currently doing physio everyday.

Physiotherapist has said to take things gently but to continue with exercises even though they hurt. She said it's all about building the strength back up in the leg.

Not sure if an ACL injury is the same?"

Agree with your physio little and often.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"As a former sports therapist I would say the biggest single thing you could do to help yourself is to work on strengthening leg muscles. Specifically, Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, calf muscles (Gastroc and Soleus). Add in some balance work and see how you go. Avoid impact work when in pain. "

Agree, trainer at gym mentioned this to me especially on the machines with the most pain movement. I can do a Leg press very easily with no pain. leg extension and leg curl with little to no weight kills my left leg and knee!

I'm going to have to do some work at home, body weight and stretching for about 10-15 minutes daily.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"I had knee weakness when I was younger. No specific injury

I'd talk to a physio if possible. What he told me was squats and lots of them. Work through low level pain but not more"

See I can do squats just ok. Now if you asked me to pick up the good leg and squat only on the bad leg....not chance.

So I need to do single exercises on the dodgy knee alone.

I think I need to isolate specifically my quadriceps and the front ligaments around the knee joint. My hamstrings are ok as well as my glutes.

By *oly Fuck Sticks BatmanCouple
over a year ago

here & there

Mr here…

I dislocated my knee, ruptured my ACL/PCL & ripped the meniscus in half. It was a little bit ouchie.

Resistance bands & wobble plates are your friends - do the exercises like brushing your teeth & it should get stronger, make sure you do both legs as you don’t want a muscular imbalance.

Glucosamine helps & if you can afford them look into Hyaluronic acid injections - these are a game changer.

over a year ago

Tin town

"I recently had keyhole surgery for a meniscus tear, currently doing physio everyday.

Not sure if an ACL injury is the same?"

My unserstanding is its an unstable joint.. And therefore its desirable not just for better functionality but for pain reduction to stabilise the joint by strengthening those muscles that provide the stability... Lowes hamstring... And vastus medialis... But... It hurts!

So I just wo dered if folks had similar experiences what if anything worked for them. Swimming seems to aggravate it. Running is a no no. Stair climber seems to be OK for a while.

Love squats but as soon as i load up a little it all breaks down again.

Thanks for the YouTube links though I'll check those out.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"There's lots of folks here who do plenty of exercise. Anyone got any recommendations to settle down and ultimalty prevent knee pain.?

History is... As a young man had a grade 3 acl, arthroscopy but it continies to flare up. Anyone got anything they have tried and worked? "

As you can see from my previous messages, Here's my approach:

1. swimming for an hour and walking for an hour daily made my pain disappear completely but I was on vacation and seriously who has the time in their regular life for that!

2. Get checked by GP, a physiotherapist or sports rehab therapist ( I'm booked for tomorrow for this particular flare up)

3. isolate which particular muscle exercises will help the most. For me it's pelvic tilt and the single leg extension and single leg curl.

4. Pilates and yoga and stretches to work on the tendons and ligaments holding the knee.

5. Check your posture, gait and foot positioning ( overpronate, underpronate, flat feet, too high arch) My work podiatrist showed me that without proper footwear and my arch insoles, my knee rolls inward! Yeah, it's not supposed to roll inwards.

Good luck and Godspeed in your recovery journey

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

My unserstanding is its an unstable joint.. And therefore its desirable not just for better functionality but for pain reduction to stabilise the joint by strengthening those muscles that provide the stability... Lowes hamstring... And vastus medialis... But... It hurts!

So I just wo dered if folks had similar experiences what if anything worked for them. Swimming seems to aggravate it. Running is a no no. Stair climber seems to be OK for a while.

"

Just a note on swimming. Which stroke/style are you doing? I can do all the strokes ok except lying on my front and scissoring. Instant pain. Breaststroke kicking style is a breeze.

over a year ago

Tin town

"There's lots of folks here who do plenty of exercise. Anyone got any recommendations to settle down and ultimalty prevent knee pain.?

History is... As a young man had a grade 3 acl, arthroscopy but it continies to flare up. Anyone got anything they have tried and worked?

As you can see from my previous messages, Here's my approach:

1. swimming for an hour and walking for an hour daily made my pain disappear completely but I was on vacation and seriously who has the time in their regular life for that!

2. Get checked by GP, a physiotherapist or sports rehab therapist ( I'm booked for tomorrow for this particular flare up)

3. isolate which particular muscle exercises will help the most. For me it's pelvic tilt and the single leg extension and single leg curl.

4. Pilates and yoga and stretches to work on the tendons and ligaments holding the knee.

5. Check your posture, gait and foot positioning ( overpronate, underpronate, flat feet, too high arch) My work podiatrist showed me that without proper footwear and my arch insoles, my knee rolls inward! Yeah, it's not supposed to roll inwards.

Good luck and Godspeed in your recovery journey"

Thanks... Someone mentioned getting gait checked the other day. Think I'll start there.

over a year ago

here & there

"

Swimming is the best thing, but absolutely no front crawl.

You want the resistance of a leg kick. Remember pain is not always a bad response. But as your physio will be tell you no one can say where it sits on the 1-10 apart from you.

If it’s too much then stop, but that full ache is a sign of improvement.

Have you tried just walking in the pool?

over a year ago

"Mr here…

I dislocated my knee, ruptured my ACL/PCL & ripped the meniscus in half. It was a little bit ouchie.

Resistance bands & wobble plates are your friends - do the exercises like brushing your teeth & it should get stronger, make sure you do both legs as you don’t want a muscular imbalance.

Glucosamine helps & if you can afford them look into Hyaluronic acid injections - these are a game changer.

"

I had one of these a few months before my surgery. Paim relief was instance, but unfortunately only lasted around 4/5 weeks

over a year ago

Tin town

You want the resistance of a leg kick. Remember pain is not always a bad response. But as your physio will be tell you no one can say where it sits on the 1-10 apart from you.

Have you tried just walking in the pool? "

Swimming (breastroke) always aggravates it... Walking always aggravates it (quicker than running weirdly). I havent tried walking in the pool but it's a good suggestion and I'll give it a go along with finding somewhere to check my gait and shoes. Draw test is pretty clunky. Thanks.

over a year ago

is it your knees or feet?

a lot of knee hip back problems come from being flat footed or poor leg muscles / not even leg muscleswith a dominant muscle making your body squint applying force on the joints.

over a year ago

History is... As a young man had a grade 3 acl, arthroscopy but it continies to flare up. Anyone got anything they have tried and worked? "

For me diet worked after 30 years of bad knees.

I found removing foods that causes inflammation . This is caused by sugars and carbs. Remove that , and supplement (happy to provide a list if you wanted) I had life changing results.

Additionally there is a movement called knees over toes that seems to be a fad that might just have longevity, worth checking YouTube .

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

"As a former sports therapist I would say the biggest single thing you could do to help yourself is to work on strengthening leg muscles. Specifically, Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, calf muscles (Gastroc and Soleus). Add in some balance work and see how you go. Avoid impact work when in pain. "

My son went through lots of physio and rehab for knee dislocations and this is spot on. Maybe a session with a private physio would be an idea.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

Find a decent sports physio, get them to have a look at what the problem is and they'll set you sone appropriate strengthening and stretching exercises.

It's literally the only answer because without a clear diagnosis you likeky could do more harm than good listening to random suggestions

over a year ago

here & there

Swimming (breastroke) always aggravates it... Walking always aggravates it (quicker than running weirdly). I havent tried walking in the pool but it's a good suggestion and I'll give it a go along with finding somewhere to check my gait and shoes. Draw test is pretty clunky. Thanks. "

Sorry meant breast stroke - that’s what you get for trying to multi task

over a year ago

Tin town

I found removing foods that causes inflammation . This is caused by sugars and carbs. Remove that , and supplement (happy to provide a list if you wanted) I had life changing results.

Additionally there is a movement called knees over toes that seems to be a fad that might just have longevity, worth checking YouTube . "

Yes please re diet. Especially inflammation. I take anti inflammatories for arthritis so worth giving that a go...

Thanks all... I'll be a new man someday!

over a year ago

here & there

Additionally there is a movement called knees over toes that seems to be a fad that might just have longevity, worth checking YouTube .

Yes please re diet. Especially inflammation. I take anti inflammatories for arthritis so worth giving that a go...

Thanks all... I'll be a new man someday! "

Or a bionic one with a knee replacement lol!

over a year ago

Tin town

"is it your knees or feet?

a lot of knee hip back problems come from being flat footed or poor leg muscles / not even leg muscleswith a dominant muscle making your body squint applying force on the joints.

"

Would they spot that from a gait analysis? Or is that kind of body balance / alignment a separate analysis?

over a year ago

Tin town

Thanks all... I'll be a new man someday!

Or a bionic one with a knee replacement lol! "

That's where it ends up isn't it?

over a year ago

Tin town

"Find a decent sports physio, get them to have a look at what the problem is and they'll set you sone appropriate strengthening and stretching exercises.

It's literally the only answer because without a clear diagnosis you likeky could do more harm than good listening to random suggestions "

That's a fair point. But some of the comments here and links are helpful. Thing is finding a good physio you get along with is hard. I've seen plenty over the years. I'm thinking gait analysis would be a worthwhile thing too.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

Have you tried just walking in the pool? "

Love aquafit but one of my instructors I think is trying to make us drown in the kiddie pool. Lol!

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"Mr here…

I had one of these a few months before my surgery. Paim relief was instance, but unfortunately only lasted around 4/5 weeks "

I'm avoiding pain injections for as long as possible.

I get stuck enough at the GP and the Sex clinic.

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

"Find a decent sports physio, get them to have a look at what the problem is and they'll set you sone appropriate strengthening and stretching exercises.

It's literally the only answer because without a clear diagnosis you likeky could do more harm than good listening to random suggestions

That's a fair point. But some of the comments here and links are helpful. Thing is finding a good physio you get along with is hard. I've seen plenty over the years. I'm thinking gait analysis would be a worthwhile thing too. "

Gait analysises are wonderful, they save me from a lot of injuries!

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

Swimming (breastroke) always aggravates it... Walking always aggravates it (quicker than running weirdly). I havent tried walking in the pool but it's a good suggestion and I'll give it a go along with finding somewhere to check my gait and shoes. Draw test is pretty clunky. Thanks. "

Do another stroke instead of breaststroke...unless you only know how to do breast stroke. Good time to get a swim coach who will ease you in gently. My leisure centre aquafit instruct is too full on for those of us who are injured. Lol!

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"is it your knees or feet?

"

Mate, my flat feet causes problems from instep to neck on my left side. Even my glute hurts. WTAF. Lol! I am so lopsided. Lol! I've just planned two massages in the next 7 days. Dunno what's I'm going to do about work.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

Additionally there is a movement called knees over toes that seems to be a fad that might just have longevity, worth checking YouTube . "

Oh yeah inflammation and that lovely stress hormone cortisol while keep you in pain for longer.

I can't go full keto...does weird things to my blood sugar but I reduce a lot of carbs to early morning porridge oats and that seems enough to keep me going. I gave up most sugar since I was 30. I'm on stevia now.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

"

Sorry meant breast stroke - that’s what you get for trying to multi task"

Front crawl kills mine so that might have been what your brain picked up on. Lol!

I'm like if it hurts don't do it. I'm into survival swimming so I learned 3 kicking styles and 5 arm stroke styles plus how to swim with head out completely of the water and head Bobbing in and out of the water.

over a year ago

Oh yeah inflammation and that lovely stress hormone cortisol while keep you in pain for longer.

I can't go full keto...does weird things to my blood sugar but I reduce a lot of carbs to early morning porridge oats and that seems enough to keep me going. I gave up most sugar since I was 30. I'm on stevia now."

Consider fasting . I do this daily and it’s a great way to stabilise insulin . I have a cardio workout and lift moderate weights, and it’s not affected by fasted state for me.

All the best.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

That's a fair point. But some of the comments here and links are helpful. Thing is finding a good physio you get along with is hard. I've seen plenty over the years. I'm thinking gait analysis would be a worthwhile thing too. "

Sorry about that. All my private and work physios have been great. The NHS doesn't work for me unfortunately in physiotherapy. However in Orthotics, they are brilliant so I have 2 pairs of custom insoles every 6 months.

I'm not sure how much strain you put on your body but maybe a sport rehabilitation therapist might be the way to go. I'm on my feet for 7.5 hours a day twice a week and it kills my body for sure.

By *elaninMaverickWoman
over a year ago

near Putney Heath

I can't go full keto...does weird things to my blood sugar but I reduce a lot of carbs to early morning porridge oats and that seems enough to keep me going. I gave up most sugar since I was 30. I'm on stevia now.

Consider fasting . I do this daily and it’s a great way to stabilise insulin . I have a cardio workout and lift moderate weights, and it’s not affected by fasted state for me.

All the best. "

Fasting is a no for me. My blood sugar drops to low and then I pass out. I just do low-carb and regular meals.

over a year ago

Hi,

Would you mind if I asked about the diet please. I have JHS and would love some tips to help ease the inflammation

By *929Man
over a year ago

newcastle

Everyone different and I not an expert in injury but had fair share of knee pain due to 20 years kneeling often on stone and in damp sand ect

Main one is squatting deep (hams to calf) rather than to parallel as transfers weight to the hips rather than shearing force on knees and Avoid any excercise that irriatates the knees

Light leg extensions holding the top for ten seconds each rep to strengthen knee tendon

Follow squat university on Instagram he has some great advice for rehabbing knee pain

By *irkby coupleCouple
over a year ago

Kirkby

I’ve got a torn something in my left knee, can’t remember what it’s called or how to spell it but it begins with M and have a hole in something.

I’ve tried all kinds of stuff that I’ve read on google and seen on YouTube.

Don’t bother with cod liver oil, there is no that it does anything (not that I’ve seen on google anyway), tried vitamin C, suppose to help rebuild stuff around joints, also didn’t help. I got a tens machine last October, not made any difference.

over a year ago

Have you considered ACL reconstruction surgery? If you have a grade 3 acl injury it might be wise to see if you're eligible for a full reconstruction.

over a year ago

"I’ve got a torn something in my left knee, can’t remember what it’s called or how to spell it but it begins with M and have a hole in something.

Don’t bother with cod liver oil, there is no that it does anything (not that I’ve seen on google anyway), tried vitamin C, suppose to help rebuild stuff around joints, also didn’t help. I got a tens machine last October, not made any difference. "

It will be a meniscus tear that you have.

I've just had keyhole surgery on mine.

over a year ago

Strong thighs take the pressure off knees , BUT . you have to work on that BEFORE any permanent damage is done to your knees , it's a bit of Pre- hab rather than re - hab..strong thighs will help your knees , allow you to manoeuvre without pain BUT whatever activity is done the condition of the knees has always to be considered , so do take your knees into consideration if you kneel, workout etc once the condition of your knees is f**ked then unfortunately there is no going back , look after your knees , you'll need them for the rest of your life .

By *abonWoman
over a year ago

L’boro/Ashby & Cheltenham

I’d getit all checked out by an osteopath or cranial osteopath. You might still be compensating somewhere so not using your body properly and constantly triggering it. Then you can do the exercises, once you know it’s all aligned.

By *irkby coupleCouple
over a year ago

Kirkby

"I’ve got a torn something in my left knee, can’t remember what it’s called or how to spell it but it begins with M and have a hole in something.

Don’t bother with cod liver oil, there is no that it does anything (not that I’ve seen on google anyway), tried vitamin C, suppose to help rebuild stuff around joints, also didn’t help. I got a tens machine last October, not made any difference.

"

YES! That’s it.

My GP sent me to a physio, I had a few sessions, he gave me various exercises to do. I went in Sep 22, he asked what I had done since last appointment and I said I done a tough mudder and he discharged me. I felt like punching him in the face. Some day are worse then others, it depends a lot on where I’m working and how much I do in the gym.

So how long ago did you have your surgery, did it hurt, how is recovery, how long is recovery and is it an on-going issue that will need doing again in years to come?

over a year ago

Tin town

"Strong thighs take the pressure off knees , BUT . you have to work on that BEFORE any permanent damage is done to your knees , it's a bit of Pre- hab rather than re - hab..strong thighs will help your knees , allow you to manoeuvre without pain BUT whatever activity is done the condition of the knees has always to be considered , so do take your knees into consideration if you kneel, workout etc once the condition of your knees is f**ked then unfortunately there is no going back , look after your knees , you'll need them for the rest of your life . "

Stupid joint design aren't they?

over a year ago

YES! That’s it.

My GP sent me to a physio, I had a few sessions, he gave me various exercises to do. I went in Sep 22, he asked what I had done since last appointment and I said I done a tough mudder and he discharged me. I felt like punching him in the face. Some day are worse then others, it depends a lot on where I’m working and how much I do in the gym.

So how long ago did you have your surgery, did it hurt, how is recovery, how long is recovery and is it an on-going issue that will need doing again in years to come?"

I've had problems for years, probably 5/6 years. Been to doctors loads of times, seen quite a few NHS physiotherapists, who have all said I need to lose weight, given me exercises, and never heard from them again.

It wasn't until I ended up in A&E twice last year and put on oral morphine that my doctors listened to me and referred me for an MRI scan, which showed I had a tear.

Initial consultant said he was referring me for a replacement.

Seen surgeon in September last year, who said he wanted to try keyhole surgery to repair the tear.

Had surgery early December.

Still in recovery and doing lots of physio, but need replacement sooner rather than later.

Hope you get some relief soon as know how much the pain can affect your day to day life x

By *amyam5627Man
over a year ago

Swadlincote

I’ve suffered with my knees since the age of 20 due to work, I recently joined a gym about 6 months ago and explained about the issues. My trainer (a lovely lady who is an ex-bodybuilder) got me on the leg press (25kg on own) to see how I did. After struggling to complete 10 reps, we then tried leg extensions and I managed 2 with the lightest weight possible.

This gave us a bench mark, and I have slowly been building up the weights and muscles around my knee until I can now do 220kg on leg press and 4 plates on extensions without any issues. My knees no longer gave way or hurt thanks to the muscles I built up around them.

Unfortunately I got attacked in the pub recently, and the attacker knocked me to the floor stamping on my knee, luckily no broken bits that can be seen on the X-rays, however it’s stopped me training and my knee has started to play up again. Until I start putting pressure on it with weight training again, we won’t know if there’s now permanent damage.

As others have said, try the muscle building around there, it worked for me!!

over a year ago

This… CBD or THC… CBD if you want the more legal route, my mum uses it for fibromyalgia and osteoporosis and there are days where it works better for numbing the pain than standard painkillers

Post new Message to Thread