Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Action camera geeks

Jump to newest

By *rtyIan OP   Man
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

Day one in Portugal and my trusty old GoPro has died

Tried three different batteries two different cables ain’t having none of it. I think the wave that exfoliated my ass killed it. Any suggestions or do I bite the bullet and get an alternative??

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inks_apeyCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

Salt water + electronics = dead

By *rtyIan OP   Man
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

It’s been in the sea on hundreds of occasions from coasteering, paddle boarding, kyaking, open water swimming never had a problem

They are designed for it

By *inks_apeyCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

Yup, and each one of those times the water attacked the rubber on the seals and caused it to leak. Happens all the time, why you can get enclosures for even already water proof camera systems, the basic water proofing is designed for fresh water use only. Same on watches etc.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

Have a look at 7dayshop. they do a full HD gopro copy for £15 and its fairly decent all round- occasionally they do a deal on a 4k version with extensive mount kit for about £40.

You don't get the protune features but the picture quality stood up well when i did a back to back test with a hero 4 black. mines now about 5 years old and going strong bought two spares batteries and a dual charger from ebay for £15. If they last two years before you trash it, its still pretty good value

By *ichaelsmyMan
over a year ago

douglas

which model is it?

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Yup, and each one of those times the water attacked the rubber on the seals and caused it to leak. Happens all the time, why you can get enclosures for even already water proof camera systems, the basic water proofing is designed for fresh water use only. Same on watches etc. "

Just vaseline the seals lightly

By *inks_apeyCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

"Yup, and each one of those times the water attacked the rubber on the seals and caused it to leak. Happens all the time, why you can get enclosures for even already water proof camera systems, the basic water proofing is designed for fresh water use only. Same on watches etc.

Just vaseline the seals lightly "

This is true, however salt water is evil at the best of times, so worth investing in a case even for already water tight camera

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Yup, and each one of those times the water attacked the rubber on the seals and caused it to leak. Happens all the time, why you can get enclosures for even already water proof camera systems, the basic water proofing is designed for fresh water use only. Same on watches etc.

This is true, however salt water is evil at the best of times, so worth investing in a case even for already water tight camera"

probably. although rated for a certain depth, thats in still or slow moving water. the pressure of crashing waves can significantly reduce this rating, which is possibly the case here

By *inks_apeyCouple
over a year ago

Staffordshire

This is true, however salt water is evil at the best of times, so worth investing in a case even for already water tight camera

probably. although rated for a certain depth, thats in still or slow moving water. the pressure of crashing waves can significantly reduce this rating, which is possibly the case here"

IP ratings are another one of those things people see, but don't understand.

For example, most phones have IP67 (Ingress Protection dust/water) the water part (7 here) means 1 meter for 60 minutes (69 is 1.5 meters)

However even though they say that, that's in distilled water, and they don't guarantee ingress protection in pools (chlorine) or sea (salt). Usually they are both good for splash protection only in reality, and accidental dunking, and neither will guarantee for protection from moving water.

Get a case with IP69X protection for a better protection.

By *ichaelsmyMan
over a year ago

douglas

salt water is the worst because it evaporates to leave the salt behind.

sometimes you have soak it again to get rid of the salt.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"salt water is the worst because it evaporates to leave the salt behind.

sometimes you have soak it again to get rid of the salt."

Whenever I dive, I take a bottle of fresh water along to rinse off my cameras & mask as soon as I come out- then they get a second soaking when I get back to dry land….surely everyone does this with their own personal kit?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

think you need a new one..

dont want to risk it not working for that amazing action moment...

see that ! wow hope i got it on camera... oh shit..

Post new Message to Thread