Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Working mens club

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

totally pissed off.. our local club closed its doors for the very last time tonight! Nothing to do with swinging we know but we just feel sorry for all the older folk who now will have nowhere to go and will be sat at home now looking at 4 walls! Just wondered is it happening in anyone else's area?

Plus we gotta find another local now!

any comments would be grateful might just cheer us up! lol..

Moan over now!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple
over a year ago

Bolton

its a real shame that places like this are shutting - can't see a viable alternative either - real pity

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

What was the reason for closing

There really arent many of these places left - which is a damn shame.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

The british legion club at the top of my street closed last year. I never used it but i know a lot of older folk did. I have fond memories of the working mens club when i was a kid. They used to put on summer day trips for the kids and everything

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Up North :-)

Pubs and clubs closing all over the place A lot to do with drinking at home as the smoking ban has made it hard for a bloke to pop in for a pint and a fag after long days work. Somehow things have gone far too far over the top. Working mens clubs and bingo halls should have had some sort of amnesty

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

It is sad for the old codgers, cos their little clubs are sometimes the only bit of social life they get - where they get cheap drinks and Bingo tickets.

Up me dads way the social club there is really struggling since the smoking ban - the oldies dont want to go out in the cold and rain for a fag when they can sit at home.

I agree that these types of places should have had a different set of rules. Its sad to see that the Great British Pubs are practically gone - and our old peoples clubs are close behind

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Well been out inb France ,Germany, Italy and Spain this year and they feking ignore the ban. Onlu us Brits go along with arsy euro dictates! Sad to see some old geezer shivering on the outside step trying to light up

By *ebzStarWoman
over a year ago

Notting

Cunts R us eh???

But these old dears wouldnt flaunt the ban even if the rest of us did - they was brought up proper to have respect and all that

By *ig badMan
over a year ago

Never been to bingo my self (honest i haven't!!) But them old grannies on the steps look so cold and fed up. Not right you know.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"totally pissed off.. our local club closed its doors for the very last time tonight! Nothing to do with swinging we know but we just feel sorry for all the older folk who now will have nowhere to go and will be sat at home now looking at 4 walls! Just wondered is it happening in anyone else's area?

Plus we gotta find another local now!

any comments would be grateful might just cheer us up! lol..

Moan over now!!!"

We had one close near us and we knew the owners.

They told us that since the smoking ban there trade has dropped drastically because most of there customers where older people and they can't keep getting up and going out for a smoke all the time thus them stopping at home.

Tony

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

theres lots shutting but there must still be a few in blackpool try layton instute

over a year ago

"theres lots shutting but there must still be a few in blackpool try layton instute "

Yeah we're also members of there!

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

small world live round the corner

over a year ago

"What was the reason for closing

"

Lack of support from so called members and a very poor holiday season also mounting debts!

By *irtydanMan
over a year ago

Blackpool

Lack of support from so called members and a very poor holiday season also mounting debts! "

plenty more will shut in afraid

over a year ago

Lack of support from so called members and a very poor holiday season also mounting debts! plenty more will shut in afraid "

Yeah we totally agree with you but like we said its just so so sad to see it happen! like someone else said on here in a post you have all the older folk who's only social life it was and now they're gonna be alone and lost for that bit of company!

over a year ago

the old working mens clubs etc have really took a battering with unemployment, smoking ban, drink prices etc its a real shame cause for some of the older ones its the only social contact they had and then there were the trips, dinners etc . even ordinary pubs are feeling it! we had 4 working mens type clubs now we down to one and its on its last legs. another british institution gone xx

over a year ago

strange bit is when u go to benidorm the wheeltappers and shunters club etc based on the old style of the working mens clubs its always mobbed!

over a year ago

I don't think you can blame it all on the smoking ban. Most of the pubs round here actually had an upturn in trade after the ban.

over a year ago

"the old working mens clubs etc have really took a battering with unemployment, smoking ban, drink prices etc its a real shame cause for some of the older ones its the only social contact they had and then there were the trips, dinners etc . even ordinary pubs are feeling it! we had 4 working mens type clubs now we down to one and its on its last legs. another british institution gone xx "

even the bingo halls have felt the no smoking ban hit them hard, mind Scotland had the ban imposed a year before England so it's showing in the pubs and clubs that have closed now.

over a year ago

yeah our bingo hall closed over 2 yrs ago and it used to be mega busy! the times they are a changin i suppose

Post new Message to Thread