Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

20mph cycling madness

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

A local urban area has introduced a 20mph speed limit which Tom does not object to. What he objects to is the increasing number of cyclists snooking a cock at the law and overtaking all of the cars. It makes Toms blood boil...

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I think you mean cocking a snook, Tom. Snooking a cock is what happens when Ronnie O'Sullivan leans too far over the table.

Reply privately

By *ickeyblueeyes7Man
over a year ago

newport

To right it should boil your piss speed limits are there for all road users not just for cars etc, why do cyclists think it’s ok to ignore the Highway Code not sticking to speed limits going through red lights etc etc

Reply privately

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Absolutely agree that if they're on the road, they should be obeying those rules. However, (devil's advocate) how many bicycles have a speedometer?

LvM

Reply privately

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

What about motorbikes who pose a far greater threat due to the weight and speed of the machine also car's,vans , lorries electric scooters who are far more dangerous??

It's been some time since you started your vendetta against cyclists new year I guess.

Reply privately

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Absolutely agree that if they're on the road, they should be obeying those rules. However, (devil's advocate) how many bicycles have a speedometer?

LvM"

exactly this

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I see many many hundreds more motorised vehicles breaking the law daily than the odd cyclist.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Absolutely agree that if they're on the road, they should be obeying those rules. However, (devil's advocate) how many bicycles have a speedometer?

LvM"

Most serious cyclist do.

Reply privately

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

LvM"

Most using strava etc, fitness watches, smart phones

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Most serious cyclist do."

What about the superficial/flippant ones?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not all that North of North London

As a former racing cyclist I can tell you that very few cyclists will ride at a consist speed of more than 20mph with the exception of descents.

So I'm not convinced this is a huge issue?

But yes cyclists should follow the speed limits (even though by law they dint have to as bikes don't come equipped with a speedometer).

There is a growing issue of illegal ebikes that have been adapted (often used by deliveroo and the like) that needs tackling, but as they are effectively an electric moped or scooter, the issues are way more complex than ignoring speed limits and the police need to work out how to clamp down on these

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Chippenham Malmesbury area

It's not law to have a speedo fitted to a bicycle, therefore they aren't required by law to keep to speed limits because they aren't able to correctly mo it or their speed. However, every road user should drive/ride at a speed appropriate to the road conditions and to the speed limit if by law their 'vehicle' is required to have a device by which the driver/rider can monitor their speed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Most serious cyclist do.

What about the superficial/flippant ones?"

How many cars have speedometer?

How many superficial/flippant drivers ignore them every second of the day?

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"As a former racing cyclist I can tell you that very few cyclists will ride at a consist speed of more than 20mph with the exception of descents.

But yes cyclists should follow the speed limits (even though by law they dint have to as bikes don't come equipped with a speedometer).

There is a growing issue of illegal ebikes that have been adapted (often used by deliveroo and the like) that needs tackling, but as they are effectively an electric moped or scooter, the issues are way more complex than ignoring speed limits and the police need to work out how to clamp down on these"

Exactly it takes a fair amount of effort to ride at 20mph for any length of time.

The issue is bikes with electric motors attached.

Reply privately

over a year ago

LvM"

Most people on bikes will track their speed on their phone. Granted it’ll be done by gps most likely so guess it won’t accurate.

They should be obeying the rules, I wouldn’t fancy getting hit by a bike at 25mph

Reply privately

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple
over a year ago

Leeds

Highway Code doesn’t apply to cyclists they can do what they want. Don’t even have to stop at red lights. But don’t hit one because that’s your fault not his.

The mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

LvM

Most people on bikes will track their speed on their phone. Granted it’ll be done by gps most likely so guess it won’t accurate.

They should be obeying the rules, I wouldn’t fancy getting hit by a bike at 25mph "

Yeah but given the option of a speeding car or a speeding cyclist your gonna choose cyclist every time.

I've given up cycling as it's too dangerous even a considerate and safe cyclist who follows all the rules takes their lives in their hands just leaving the house.

I've done many thousands of miles on my bikes over the years and have been spat at,had things thrown at me been forced off the road and been the victim of road rage.

For no other reason other than being on the road at the same time.

I have lost a few friends who have died as a result of no fault collisions my son was almost killed by a woman on her phone.

And like most serious cyclist's

They could all probably tell you similar stories.

How many people do you know personally that have been killed by a cyclist??

It's a very rare occurrence and sad.

I'm not defending all cyclist's as there's some proper assholes particularly in today's"me first" society but just remember you have a couple of tons of steel to protect you in a car a cyclist has a few mm of fabric.

Cycling on today's roads takes a lot of concentration and unfortunately and this is unfortunately you have to adopt a fairly aggressive riding style I don't mean road rage what I mean it's about getting noticed by driver's particularly at lights,the amount of times people take a left turn Infront of you when cycling is ridiculous,so at a red light sometimes you have to get in front of the car and ahead of before the amber goes green.

I don't condone people jumping red lights or inappropriate speeding on bikes.

But it's the same reason why motorbikes get off first at the lights to prevent numpty drivers turning into them,it's about surviving.

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

Fact; even when I'm using a device to monitor my speed and I'm sticking to the 20 or 30mph speed limits, many car drivers (in their cars) will over take me; often when it's unsafe to do. Making it law for cyclist to obey speed limits will not changes this. I would argue that, me going through a 20mph zone at 22mph on my bicycle is safer for other road users and pedestrians than the car that's overtaking me.

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"how many bicycles have a speedometer?"

This. Only one of mine does.

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"Most people on bikes will track their speed on their phone. "

If you’re on a bike you should be looking where you’re going, not at your phone.

Reply privately

By *onnie 90Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

LvM"

A law should be introduced that makes it illegal for a bicycle to be used without a speedometer.

Cyclists banged on about having more rights on the roads. Now they have them they should obey the laws that govern them.

Reply privately

By *hischarmingdevilMan
over a year ago

Ringwood

Just as a few other people have said on here. Unless they are really pushing on, I doubt a bicycle would be going over 20mph. As a very keen cyclist, doing over 6000miles a year, I used to cycle at a constant 18.5mph when I was super fit.

Filtering past cars is both legal for Bikes and motorcycles.

I think that Bikes should obey all road laws, I think they should be on the road not sharing pavements/cycle lanes with pedestrians.

Reply privately

By *irexMan
over a year ago

Hertford

Oh here we go again, the cyclist haters banging on about red lights and now speeding! FYI I’d love to be fit enough to cycle at 20+ MPH for any distance - anyway it’s much more fun to pass motorists when they’re stuck in traffic queues caused by motorists. WRT red lights I see 10 or more motorists every time going through red lights on my way walking to the shops, not seen a cyclist do it for a long while.

P.S. will you central/outside lane hogging motorists please respect my wish to travel at 90mph+ in my car by kindly moving into the near side lane after you’ve overtaken. There’s a good chap

Reply privately

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I agree and also, they shouldnt block the roads for the traffic. I see many times where you have 2 cyclists blocking the road, where the car behind cant pass them, because of traffic from the other lane.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I'm sure I don't go over 20 on my bicycle! What boils my piss is the vehicle drivers that pass me so close! Think most of them have no idea what 1.5 is! X

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I agree and also, they shouldnt block the roads for the traffic. I see many times where you have 2 cyclists blocking the road, where the car behind cant pass them, because of traffic from the other lane."

It is advised to ride 2 a breast! On suitable roads then u pass them as u would a car instead of as I just commented squeezing past to close! X

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Oh here we go again, the cyclist haters banging on about red lights and now speeding! FYI I’d love to be fit enough to cycle at 20+ MPH for any distance - anyway it’s much more fun to pass motorists when they’re stuck in traffic queues caused by motorists. WRT red lights I see 10 or more motorists every time going through red lights on my way walking to the shops, not seen a cyclist do it for a long while.

P.S. will you central/outside lane hogging motorists please respect my wish to travel at 90mph+ in my car by kindly moving into the near side lane after you’ve overtaken. There’s a good chap "

Sadly these threads turn to cyclist bashing!x

Reply privately

By *irexMan
over a year ago

Hertford

LvM

They should be obeying the rules, I wouldn’t fancy getting hit by a bike at 25mph

Yeah but given the option of a speeding car or a speeding cyclist your gonna choose cyclist every time.

I've given up cycling as it's too dangerous even a considerate and safe cyclist who follows all the rules takes their lives in their hands just leaving the house.

I've done many thousands of miles on my bikes over the years and have been spat at,had things thrown at me been forced off the road and been the victim of road rage.

For no other reason other than being on the road at the same time.

I have lost a few friends who have died as a result of no fault collisions my son was almost killed by a woman on her phone.

And like most serious cyclist's

They could all probably tell you similar stories.

How many people do you know personally that have been killed by a cyclist??

It's a very rare occurrence and sad.

I'm not defending all cyclist's as there's some proper assholes particularly in today's"me first" society but just remember you have a couple of tons of steel to protect you in a car a cyclist has a few mm of fabric.

Cycling on today's roads takes a lot of concentration and unfortunately and this is unfortunately you have to adopt a fairly aggressive riding style I don't mean road rage what I mean it's about getting noticed by driver's particularly at lights,the amount of times people take a left turn Infront of you when cycling is ridiculous,so at a red light sometimes you have to get in front of the car and ahead of before the amber goes green.

I don't condone people jumping red lights or inappropriate speeding on bikes.

But it's the same reason why motorbikes get off first at the lights to prevent numpty drivers turning into them,it's about surviving. "

Yes, all of those examples and it’s getting worse. After the driver of the articulated Tesco lorry overtook me near the brow of a hill recently he explained to me (when I caught him up less than a minute later) that I was going ‘too slow’

Reply privately

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 09/01/23 10:51:07]

Reply privately

By *hagTonightMan
over a year ago

"I agree and also, they shouldnt block the roads for the traffic. I see many times where you have 2 cyclists blocking the road, where the car behind cant pass them, because of traffic from the other lane.

It is advised to ride 2 a breast! On suitable roads then u pass them as u would a car instead of as I just commented squeezing past to close! X"

Yes, but I still think that they should ride behind each other, as it could be dangerous for the car behind them to find a gap to pass them x

Reply privately

By *irexMan
over a year ago

Hertford

"[Removed by poster at 09/01/23 10:51:07]"

I often hear this but when challenged few examples can be given, often it’s an example from a friend or Facebook!!

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Had a few of the twusucks just now on my way home squeezing past me! I won't cycle in middle of lane as advised to! Tried that I think it's more dangerous! So stick to side of road and they still squeeze past instead of waiting till there is room! I have to cycle to and from work as don't drive! Most drivers are totally inconsiderate towards cyclists! There are a few gooduns!sadly far and few between! X

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I agree and also, they shouldnt block the roads for the traffic. I see many times where you have 2 cyclists blocking the road, where the car behind cant pass them, because of traffic from the other lane.

It is advised to ride 2 a breast! On suitable roads then u pass them as u would a car instead of as I just commented squeezing past to close! XYes, but I still think that they should ride behind each other, as it could be dangerous for the car behind them to find a gap to pass them x"

Then they must practice their patience! I personally ride alone but as I say it is advised to ride 2 a breast x

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"I agree and also, they shouldnt block the roads for the traffic. I see many times where you have 2 cyclists blocking the road, where the car behind cant pass them, because of traffic from the other lane."

You are supposed to give a cyclist 1.5 metres when overtaking.

However if there's oncoming traffic motorists will squeeze past rather than wait to pass like they would any other road user. Riding 2 abreast means motorists have to wit till its safe but of they are following the rules them it won't delay them

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

The considerate drivers tend to ride bikes themselves, I think. It certainly helps perspective.

You really can’t win. You’re either too fast or too slow.

It’s the same “get out of my way!” mentality as when folk encounter learners or elderly drivers, except the folk on bikes seem to be having more fun and making better progress across town, which just infuriates the impatient people.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

It is advised to ride 2 a breast! On suitable roads then u pass them as u would a car instead of as I just commented squeezing past to close! XYes, but I still think that they should ride behind each other, as it could be dangerous for the car behind them to find a gap to pass them x"

If it is dangerous for a motorist to overtake then the motorist should wait.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"What about motorbikes who pose a far greater threat due to the weight and speed of the machine also car's,vans , lorries electric scooters who are far more dangerous??

It's been some time since you started your vendetta against cyclists new year I guess."

What about others? Means they can just ignore it then. OK.

Reply privately

By *r TriomanMan
over a year ago

That maybe why, in accordance with the High Way code, they're dominating the road because, if they didn't, you'd try to squeeze past between them and the oncoming traffic.

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Yep

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Highway Code doesn’t apply to cyclists they can do what they want. Don’t even have to stop at red lights. But don’t hit one because that’s your fault not his.

The mr "

We do have to stop at red lights! But u will get ass cyclists same as ass drivers that go through red lights! I see it daily cars speed up when the lights change and go through the red! X

Reply privately

By *inaTitzTV/TS
over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Ah, it's been a few days since we last had a thread bashing cyclists.

Reply privately

By *lark_KentMan
over a year ago

Northampton

Speed limits only apply to motor vehicle, not bicycles. Shows how well you know the highway code.

Why do people generalise about cyclists ...we are not all the same, like not all car drivers are arseholes

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

I assume what made the OP's blood boil was that cyclists are faster than cars, on average, in urban areas. Not the breaking of the highway code.

I didn't know that the 20mph speed limit didn't apply to cyclists. But it's right that it shouldn't - as said, we rarely go that fast for long, and were we to cause an accident, with the reduced weight/force we'd cause far less damage.

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

That maybe why, in accordance with the High Way code, they're dominating the road because, if they didn't, you'd try to squeeze past between them and the oncoming traffic."

I used to go right into the middle of the road before a certain tight turn on a narrow downhill stretch of road on my regular commute, precisely so that drivers wouldn't be stupid enough to overtake me at that point. One time a driver still insisted on overtaking. Almost collided with an oncoming car.

I caught up with him at the lights and tried to discuss how dangerous he'd been. All he did was shout that he's also a cyclist and knows we shouldn't cycle in the middle of the road. I caught up with him at the next set of light too, but the discussion didn't go much further.

Reply privately

By *ornLordMan
over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"Highway Code doesn’t apply to cyclists they can do what they want. Don’t even have to stop at red lights. But don’t hit one because that’s your fault not his.

The mr "

I'd rather read 'don't hit one because your solid, heavy vehicle is likely to injure, maim or kill them'.

Reply privately

By *annibal_LickedherMan
over a year ago

The Side of the Mersey

I ride a lot with a lot of other cyclists and I don’t know many cyclists who can sustain 20mph or more for any reasonable length of time. Maybe in a sprint but again most of the cyclists I know wouldn’t be attempting to sprint in any kind of area with a 20mph limit either. So this is largely a steaming pile of horse turds as far as I’m concerned.

Reply privately

By *annibal_LickedherMan
over a year ago

The Side of the Mersey

The mr

I'd rather read 'don't hit one because your solid, heavy vehicle is likely to injure, maim or kill them'."

Amen.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I ride a lot with a lot of other cyclists and I don’t know many cyclists who can sustain 20mph or more for any reasonable length of time. Maybe in a sprint but again most of the cyclists I know wouldn’t be attempting to sprint in any kind of area with a 20mph limit either. So this is largely a steaming pile of horse turds as far as I’m concerned. "

We actually have hills on Essex. It makes Tom wonder if these pushbikes actually have any brakes when they are speeding down hill like the Toad of Toad hall ...

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"I ride a lot with a lot of other cyclists and I don’t know many cyclists who can sustain 20mph or more for any reasonable length of time. Maybe in a sprint but again most of the cyclists I know wouldn’t be attempting to sprint in any kind of area with a 20mph limit either. So this is largely a steaming pile of horse turds as far as I’m concerned.

We actually have hills on Essex. It makes Tom wonder if these pushbikes actually have any brakes when they are speeding down hill like the Toad of Toad hall ... "

I've done 50+ on a descent. It wasn't in a 20 zone and was within the speed limit for cars. I don't consider that reckless or overly dangerous (perception of danger depends on the descent obviously)

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

I regularly, I think (no speedometer), exceed 20mph down Highgate West Hill. I'm not sure whether it's 20 or 30 there, though I do know cars go just as fast.

It is only going downhill that we'd regular reach such speeds. Admittedly, it's the most dangerous.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"As a former racing cyclist I can tell you that very few cyclists will ride at a consist speed of more than 20mph with the exception of descents.

There is a growing issue of illegal ebikes that have been adapted (often used by deliveroo and the like) that needs tackling, but as they are effectively an electric moped or scooter, the issues are way more complex than ignoring speed limits and the police need to work out how to clamp down on these

Exactly it takes a fair amount of effort to ride at 20mph for any length of time.

The issue is bikes with electric motors attached."

If there are no laws to regulate them they should not be permitted to use the roads. Simple.

When products get passed through design phases they should only get to market if they are within the existing laws/regulations/etc

You'd never get foods sold if not within regs or drugs prescribed.

It's unbelievable what gets by unchallenged.

Reply privately

over a year ago

If you can't assess your speed then you cannot be said to be in full control of it. That would mean to me that they should not be on a public road that is speed controlled. Same as regs for functioning lights, horn, wipers, etc

Go to a sport track designed for the sport of cycling.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

If there are no laws to regulate them they should not be permitted to use the roads. Simple.

When products get passed through design phases they should only get to market if they are within the existing laws/regulations/etc

It's unbelievable what gets by unchallenged. "

They're illegal.

Legal ebikes offer assistance and only up to something like 15mph and meet all the criteria you mention.

The ones you see going a lot faster and with the rider not even peddling are illegal but arebin a real grey area. While they can be seized for nit being road legal there doesn't seem to be any cases of people being prosecuted because i don't think they can be classed as a moped (even though they effectively are)

Reply privately

By *penbicoupleCouple
over a year ago

Northampton

"A local urban area has introduced a 20mph speed limit which Tom does not object to. What he objects to is the increasing number of cyclists snooking a cock at the law and overtaking all of the cars. It makes Toms blood boil..."

Tom really should get a handle on his emotions.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The mr

I'd rather read 'don't hit one because your solid, heavy vehicle is likely to injure, maim or kill them'."

I'd say it's only the unhinged few who would actually intentionally collide with anyone, bike or no bike.

I have no time for people who try to offload all responsibility for bad outcomes. Know the risk, take precautions, act with due care and if an accident happens chances are both parties have some responsibility to take ownership of.

Big bad drivers versus poor cyclist is a tired old trope that needs retired.

If a squishable human decides to travel at high speed on a bicycle or motorcycle they must do so owning the risk of injury.

You can't use a bike in 2023 with the same liberties as someone did in 1923. Anyone who says 'oh but you should be able to' needs to accept reality of the changing times.

Reply privately

over a year ago

They're illegal.

Legal ebikes offer assistance and only up to something like 15mph and meet all the criteria you mention.

The ones you see going a lot faster and with the rider not even peddling are illegal but arebin a real grey area. While they can be seized for nit being road legal there doesn't seem to be any cases of people being prosecuted because i don't think they can be classed as a moped (even though they effectively are)"

My point is that they shouldn't exist at all. Factories should be shut down if producing illegal goods. Illegal imports or ones found on roads should be seized. Anyone tootling about with a fist full of illegal substances would get lifted.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

They're illegal.

The ones you see going a lot faster and with the rider not even peddling are illegal but arebin a real grey area. While they can be seized for nit being road legal there doesn't seem to be any cases of people being prosecuted because i don't think they can be classed as a moped (even though they effectively are)

My point is that they shouldn't exist at all. Factories should be shut down if producing illegal goods. Illegal imports or ones found on roads should be seized. Anyone tootling about with a fist full of illegal substances would get lifted."

I think you'll find that they are legal bikes that have been illegally adapted. They are not manufactured illegally

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

The mr

I'd rather read 'don't hit one because your solid, heavy vehicle is likely to injure, maim or kill them'.

I'd say it's only the unhinged few who would actually intentionally collide with anyone, bike or no bike.

I have no time for people who try to offload all responsibility for bad outcomes. Know the risk, take precautions, act with due care and if an accident happens chances are both parties have some responsibility to take ownership of.

If a squishable human decides to travel at high speed on a bicycle or motorcycle they must do so owning the risk of injury.

You can't use a bike in 2023 with the same liberties as someone did in 1923. Anyone who says 'oh but you should be able to' needs to accept reality of the changing times."

So in short, if riding to the gym tonight in horizontal, lights and a helmet I get hit by a car it's partially my fault, how so?

And does the same logic apply to pedestrians hot by cars?

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Another thread full of hate and spite for fellow human beings. I despair.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The mr

You can't use a bike in 2023 with the same liberties as someone did in 1923. Anyone who says 'oh but you should be able to' needs to accept reality of the changing times.

So in short, if riding to the gym tonight in horizontal, lights and a helmet I get hit by a car it's partially my fault, how so?

And does the same logic apply to pedestrians hot by cars?"

Sometimes, yes. We all have to take care, make choices, manage risk. There are routes I would avoid. There are times of day I would avoid. I manage the risk that I choose to expose myself to.

Getting on the bike is a choice. You are doing so knowing the risk and have decided to accept it.

Accidents will happen. FACT.

Most are no-fault and devastating all the same.

Upset, anger, grief makes us need to asign blame but there is not always a place for blame.

Bad things happen to good people. Drivers are good people too. Having an accident beyond their control can devastate a driver equally as those physically hurt by it.

Some drivers are assholes.

Some cyclists are assholes.

Fact.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

The mr

And does the same logic apply to pedestrians hot by cars?"

Not sure why 'hi viz' autocorrected to horizontal

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

"

Not sure why 'hi viz' autocorrected to horizontal"

That was confusing

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

The mr

You can't use a bike in 2023 with the same liberties as someone did in 1923. Anyone who says 'oh but you should be able to' needs to accept reality of the changing times."

What utter nonsense.

So my son who nearly got killed by a women who was on her phone take some responsibility for her reckless driving?

Also you used the word accident this implies that no one is to blame the correct term is collision.

Going by your logic non of use should have insurance of any kind because we should all take responsibility in a "collision"

Regardless of fault??

And using the term squishable is frankly offensive to anyone who has lost a loved one or friend in an collision involving bike Vs car/van/lorry etc..

So when a car runs over a child your response is .

"Well they are squishable they knew the risks"

Callous.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Another thread full of hate and spite for fellow human beings. I despair."

Reply privately

over a year ago

The mr

What utter nonsense.

So my son who nearly got killed by a women who was on her phone take some responsibility for her reckless driving?

Also you used the word accident this implies that no one is to blame the correct term is collision.

Going by your logic non of use should have insurance of any kind because we should all take responsibility in a "collision"

Regardless of fault??

And using the term squishable is frankly offensive to anyone who has lost a loved one or friend in an collision involving bike Vs car/van/lorry etc..

Callous.

"

That's not what I said so don't twist the meaning of my words.

I'm not going to debate it with you since you are so riled up. It wouldn't matter what I say you've decided I'm the devil.

Flesh and bone versus tonnes of steel is squishable. If you don't like the word that's a matter for yourself. Doesn't make it untrue. Doesn't make me callous.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Another thread full of hate and spite for fellow human beings. I despair.

"

The only hate and spite on this thread just got thrown at myself by you.

Pot kettle

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

[Removed by poster at 09/01/23 15:27:48]

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"If you can't assess your speed then you cannot be said to be in full control of it. That would mean to me that they should not be on a public road that is speed controlled. Same as regs for functioning lights, horn, wipers, etc

Go to a sport track designed for the sport of cycling."

Wow! x

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

LvM"

Actually every smart phone has one, every Garmin/Wahoo/GPS (not the same as sat navs) and watches like SUUMO and Forerunner do to

Even the average phone grasping chav could see how fast they are going, as they seen to be gawping at it whilst pedalling on the pavements.

Scooter riders fall into this too.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"If you can't assess your speed then you cannot be said to be in full control of it. That would mean to me that they should not be on a public road that is speed controlled. Same as regs for functioning lights, horn, wipers, etc

Wow! x"

I know right

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Most people on bikes will track their speed on their phone.

If you’re on a bike you should be looking where you’re going, not at your phone. "

Partially correct.

That's like saying

If you’re on a MOTOR bike you should be looking where you’re going, not at your SPEEDO.

You can set your phone to full screen speedo mode.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Wow! x

I know right "

Guess I shd walk to work at 3 30 in morning as there no public transport that time ! X

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Bicycle bells should be mandatory on bicycles.

The little dring dring ones.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Bicycle bells should be mandatory on bicycles.

The little dring dring ones."

She likes a little ding a ling ^

Reply privately

By *eadinthecloudsMan
over a year ago

Manchester

Cars- routinely kill people, literally smash down buildings and give debilitating injuries... Nobody bats an eye

Cyclists- goes more than 20mph without a speedometer...everyone loses their shit.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Wow! x

I know right "

Go to Newmarket and say this "Go to a sport track designed for the sport of horse racing" and see where that gets you.

Horse don't have lights, horns, indicators nor speedos, do they?

They can go as fast as a cyclist and cause a lot of damage to the rider, themselves and even cars.

The Highway code applies to ALL road users. Horses, pedestrians, cars, HGVS, bikes, powered vehicles and unpowered vehicles (Think barrows and the like) and even the robots that run around Bedford and Milton Keynes.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Can you hear them when using airbuds? Other earphones are availible.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

The mr

What utter nonsense.

Regardless of fault??

Callous.

That's not what I said so don't twist the meaning of my words.

I'm not going to debate it with you since you are so riled up. It wouldn't matter what I say you've decided I'm the devil.

Flesh and bone versus tonnes of steel is squishable. If you don't like the word that's a matter for yourself. Doesn't make it untrue. Doesn't make me callous.

"

As pedestrians are "squishable" do they have to take some responsibility if they get hot by a car?

I think every cyclist, motorcyclist, runner, horse rider, runner pedestrians thatvever finds themselves mixing with traffic on open roads acknowledges theor inherent vulnerability. I'm notvsure why we should own it though, it makes no sense.

The reality is most accidents, are preventable. Too many motorists are easily distracted or not paying attention and think "sorry mate I didn't see you" is an acceptable excuse when it really isn't.

Roads exist for all traffic including bikes and motorbikes, vulnerable riad users accept the hazards of sharing roads space with vehicles that can kill us, not all motorists recognise that though

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Can you hear them when using airbuds? Other earphones are availible."

When I lived and cycled in London I'd regularly shout a warning at pedestrians, nothing aggressive just 'excuse me please' so they'd know i was passing and mainly out of politeness rather than becausebof any danger and mist would be oblivious, lost in their screens or with headphones on. A belll would be just the same

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hmmm...The amount of abuse I've gotten over the years, from dog walkers, runners, hikers and horse riders, for having the audacity to use my lil ding dinger....and I'm also a dog walker, runner, walker.....I think some people are just naturally triggered by cyclists !!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hmmm...The amount of abuse I've gotten over the years, from dog walkers, runners, hikers and horse riders, for having the audacity to use my lil ding dinger....and I'm also a dog walker, runner, walker.....I think some people are just naturally triggered by cyclists !! "

It is a weird British phenomenon. Despite the success of our professional cyclists the general awareness and respect for cycling in everyday situations is pitiful. This has huge consequences for health outcomes if nothing else.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

They are! X

Reply privately

over a year ago

They are! X"

I've got a large horn

Reply privately

By *heDeliveryManMan
over a year ago

Leicester

What tom could do whilst sitting in traffic, is to open his door while said cyclist is screaming past too close to the vehicle.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Hmmm...The amount of abuse I've gotten over the years, from dog walkers, runners, hikers and horse riders, for having the audacity to use my lil ding dinger....and I'm also a dog walker, runner, walker.....I think some people are just naturally triggered by cyclists !! "

I've seen them used in different ways and it can impact the perception. I've seen the cyclist only ring the bell when immediately behind someone and that comes across as 'I'm here get out of my way'. I've seen it work better when the person rings the bell a bit further back. I prefer that as it gives me time to look, see the bike and move without having the leap out of the way

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Hmmm...The amount of abuse I've gotten over the years, from dog walkers, runners, hikers and horse riders, for having the audacity to use my lil ding dinger....and I'm also a dog walker, runner, walker.....I think some people are just naturally triggered by cyclists !!

It is a weird British phenomenon. Despite the success of our professional cyclists the general awareness and respect for cycling in everyday situations is pitiful. This has huge consequences for health outcomes if nothing else. "

Goes both ways though doesn't it.?i don't see cyclists jumping lights or on footpaths in Germany or netherlands? I also know you see what you want to see.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

It is a weird British phenomenon. Despite the success of our professional cyclists the general awareness and respect for cycling in everyday situations is pitiful. This has huge consequences for health outcomes if nothing else. "

I genuinely think many people see the Olympic riders as sonething completely separate to every day cyclists

Reply privately

over a year ago

It is a weird British phenomenon. Despite the success of our professional cyclists the general awareness and respect for cycling in everyday situations is pitiful. This has huge consequences for health outcomes if nothing else.

I genuinely think many people see the Olympic riders as sonething completely separate to every day cyclists"

They do unfortunately.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Goes both ways though doesn't it.?i don't see cyclists jumping lights or on footpaths in Germany or netherlands? I also know you see what you want to see."

2 countries with pretty excellent cycling infrastructure, which may make a difference

Reply privately

over a year ago

Goes both ways though doesn't it.?i don't see cyclists jumping lights or on footpaths in Germany or netherlands? I also know you see what you want to see."

In both those countries a large percentage of pavements are dual use and fit for that purpose, often with their own lights. Cycle lane provision in the UK is simply awful in most places.

Reply privately

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

LvM

A law should be introduced that makes it illegal for a bicycle to be used without a speedometer.

Cyclists banged on about having more rights on the roads. Now they have them they should obey the laws that govern them."

I'd be more keen for them to have insurance if on the road and a number plate! MOT possibly?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Goes both ways though doesn't it.?i don't see cyclists jumping lights or on footpaths in Germany or netherlands? I also know you see what you want to see.

2 countries with pretty excellent cycling infrastructure, which may make a difference "

I'm sure it helps. Not least keeping car and bike interactions to a minimum.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Can you hear them when using airbuds? Other earphones are availible.

When I lived and cycled in London I'd regularly shout a warning at pedestrians, nothing aggressive just 'excuse me please' so they'd know i was passing and mainly out of politeness rather than becausebof any danger and mist would be oblivious, lost in their screens or with headphones on. A belll would be just the same"

Network Rail have done a "beware of the bubble" safety campaign as smart phone, do sedate their users into oblivion and potential deadly risks, when near the railway.

Reply privately

over a year ago

2 countries with pretty excellent cycling infrastructure, which may make a difference

I'm sure it helps. Not least keeping car and bike interactions to a minimum. "

To me that is the key, wherever possible. Cars and cyclists will naturally conflict for many reasons so the more separation the better.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I'm a cyclist and have a speedo, I never get over 20mph unless going downhill or there's a big wind pushing me along, although I do love overtaking cars it gives me a boner

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Chris Boardman knows this only too well. RIP Carol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6652543/Driver-killed-Chris-Boardmans-mother-jailed.html

Chris Boardman says killer drivers must never be let back on the roads as man who killed Olympic cyclist's mother, 75, while distracted by phone call to his wife is jailed for 30 week

Liam Rosney admitted causing death of Carol Boardman, 75, by careless driving

Rosney was driving pick-up truck and took three calls on his mobile before crash

He drove over Mrs Boardman after she fell from her bicycle on mini-roundabout

The 33-year-old jailed for 30 weeks following the 2016 incident in North Wales

Does anyone want to defend Liam Rosney's actions?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"A local urban area has introduced a 20mph speed limit which Tom does not object to. What he objects to is the increasing number of cyclists snooking a cock at the law and overtaking all of the cars. It makes Toms blood boil..."

I for one need to move to Essex, where clearly all motorists obey the letter of the law with regards to signalling,m speed, and safety awareness.

Also, maybe the air is thinner there, but cyclists seem to go faster there too, so it would be a welcome ego boost - literally!

Reply privately

over a year ago

They are! X"

Indeed, it's the law to set them with them on...not the law to keep them there though once you bought it...

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Definitely. But also its infrastructure thst suits all parties,someone riding to the shops on a cargo bike, commuters, more serious cyclists training for sport. British infrastructure rarely manages to tick one of those boxes, never mind all 3.

Though in Britain, in the rare instance there is decent infrastructure, somewhere like stevenage, pedestrians wLk on the cycle paths rather than yhe adjacent footpath which completely negates any benefit

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a cyclist and have a speedo, I never get over 20mph unless going downhill or there's a big wind pushing me along, although I do love overtaking cars it gives me a boner "

I've gone 51mph on a pushiron, admittedly very downhill on a very steep road. But it was a National Speed limit road though, so I hope Tom will commend me for going 9mph under the limit

Reply privately

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

I love the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrUAxye4zkE

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6652543/Driver-killed-Chris-Boardmans-mother-jailed.html

Chris Boardman says killer drivers must never be let back on the roads as man who killed Olympic cyclist's mother, 75, while distracted by phone call to his wife is jailed for 30 week

Rosney was driving pick-up truck and took three calls on his mobile before crash

Does anyone want to defend Liam Rosney's actions?"

Or his partner thatvwas charged with perverting the course of justice...

He killed someone who made the mistake of being "squishable" while he ignored the law and used his phone.

And even though using a phone while driving is illegal the conviction was only for careless not dangerous driving. Just let that sink in. You can kill someone while braking the law and thst is not considered legally careless not dangerous.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I'm a cyclist and have a speedo, I never get over 20mph unless going downhill or there's a big wind pushing me along, although I do love overtaking cars it gives me a boner

I've gone 51mph on a pushiron, admittedly very downhill on a very steep road. But it was a National Speed limit road though, so I hope Tom will commend me for going 9mph under the limit "

Did you have a bell?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I'm a cyclist and have a speedo, I never get over 20mph unless going downhill or there's a big wind pushing me along, although I do love overtaking cars it gives me a boner

I've gone 51mph on a pushiron, admittedly very downhill on a very steep road. But it was a National Speed limit road though, so I hope Tom will commend me for going 9mph under the limit "

Brave man. My balls shrink when I get over 30mph downhill at Richmond Park

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Does anyone want to defend Liam Rosney's actions?"

30 weeks fot killing someone... For some reason road killers are always treated more leniently.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Definitely. But also its infrastructure thst suits all parties,someone riding to the shops on a cargo bike, commuters, more serious cyclists training for sport. British infrastructure rarely manages to tick one of those boxes, never mind all 3.

Though in Britain, in the rare instance there is decent infrastructure, somewhere like stevenage, pedestrians wLk on the cycle paths rather than yhe adjacent footpath which completely negates any benefit"

Yep. We are not a very well disciplined country. Which is why when we compare to other countries, more pleasant ones... Usually its because they are a bit more (or a lot in some cases) more mindful and respectful.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Pot kettle"

I’ve thrown nothing at you?

Maybe re read the thread?

Reply privately

over a year ago

I imagine Tom on a Penny Farthing in Colchester High St, dispensing local updates to the citizens of Essex from his lofty perch.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"I imagine Tom on a Penny Farthing in Colchester High St, dispensing local updates to the citizens of Essex from his lofty perch. "

The town Cryer? Oyez Oyez

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Another thread full of hate and spite for fellow human beings. I despair."

Can I suggest everyone get naked and lick something?

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I love the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrUAxye4zkE"

Yes of course there are idiot cyclists! Just as there are idiot drivers!

Reply privately

over a year ago

Pot kettle

I’ve thrown nothing at you?

Maybe re read the thread?"

Wasn't you, the poster who bumped your post with the thumbs up did.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I know right!

Not sure about the rest of the world but I've cycled in Austria, Spain, Lanzarote and fuerteventura and France.

They are pretty accomodating and in fact they are very proactive regarding cyclist's.

In Lanzarote for example as they are approaching they toot their horn's not in protest or anger but as a friendly notification " car behind/back"

They usually wave when passing.

I mean imagine if we all started treating each other with respect what on earth would happen?

As a nation we are so uptight everyone seems to have the attitude of "DO ONE" and fuck you all.

Sad times,sad times indeed

You bunch of cunts (joke)

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

"I love the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrUAxye4zkE

Yes of course there are idiot cyclists! Just as there are idiot drivers!"

But they're far less dangerous!

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

I know right!

Not sure about the rest of the world but I've cycled in Austria, Spain, Lanzarote and fuerteventura and France.

They are pretty accomodating and in fact they are very proactive regarding cyclist's.

In Lanzarote for example as they are approaching they toot their horn's not in protest or anger but as a friendly notification " car behind/back"

They usually wave when passing.

I mean imagine if we all started treating each other with respect what on earth would happen?

As a nation we are so uptight everyone seems to have the attitude of "DO ONE" and fuck you all.

Sad times,sad times indeed

You bunch of cunts (joke) "

Bought a smile to my face.

I filled up (OK I lie... I put 100 quid in) of diesel today. Some bloke as he drove past put his window down and shouted "nice bit of parking you cunt" and drove off... I think he was using a metaphor.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

But they're far less dangerous!"

Yes for sure! Was referring to the clip of the idiot cyclist! X

Reply privately

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

But they're far less dangerous!"

I hate driving in London now so many weaving in and out, and sum gaps just ant big enough but they still try and just look at you as if to say let me go first. Why ..

Then you even get cyclical rage where at the lights they are shouting at each other for cutting one and other up.

and so many jumping red lights. with pedestrians.

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

I hate driving in London now so many weaving in and out, and sum gaps just ant big enough but they still try and just look at you as if to say let me go first. Why ..

Then you even get cyclical rage where at the lights they are shouting at each other for cutting one and other up.

and so many jumping red lights. with pedestrians. "

Do you mean, they shout at each other, and then stop and start again? I've never noticed.

Or any other type of shouting between cyclists really. I was a bit pissed off at a guy who cycled into me when I stopped at a zebra crossing. But he apologised and all was fine.

I see a bit of tut-tutting - when someone cycles through a red light, especially if it's actually dangerous. They normally distinguish themselves from that type of cyclist: the ones without helmets, without panniers, female.

So of course, lots of idiot cyclist. A little too much weaving perhaps - but see it from their perspective; the cars are probably higgledypiggledy blocking a straight line down the road, so through no fault of their own they're delayed.

Reply privately

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

and so many jumping red lights. with pedestrians.

Do you mean, they shout at each other, and then stop and start again? I've never noticed.

Or any other type of shouting between cyclists really. I was a bit pissed off at a guy who cycled into me when I stopped at a zebra crossing. But he apologised and all was fine.

I see a bit of tut-tutting - when someone cycles through a red light, especially if it's actually dangerous. They normally distinguish themselves from that type of cyclist: the ones without helmets, without panniers, female.

So of course, lots of idiot cyclist. A little too much weaving perhaps - but see it from their perspective; the cars are probably higgledypiggledy blocking a straight line down the road, so through no fault of their own they're delayed. "

Yer one guy would guess working on the bike shouting at a female for cutting him up it was funny to watch. It was when they stopped at a red light.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

and so many jumping red lights. with pedestrians. "

As like vehicles jumping red lights??

Reply privately

By *usie pTV/TS
over a year ago

taunton

Tom have you ever tried riding a bike, you will keep falling off if you go slower than 20.

Reply privately

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Tom hates cyclist's.

Reply privately

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

I knew whose post this was before I even got in to the forum

"I think you mean cocking a snook, Tom. "

Shhhh! Don’t feed the troll!

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I imagine Tom on a Penny Farthing in Colchester High St, dispensing local updates to the citizens of Essex from his lofty perch. "

Leo...you think about Tom far too much ...

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Tom have you ever tried riding a bike, you will keep falling off if you go slower than 20."

Tom has a 1953 Butchers bike complete with three speeds and a basket once used for carrying meat to customers.. Tom glides past thrse Lycra clad Go pro morons and once got into a race with a cyclist who was faster than the test. Tom stopped at the red lights and the bugger caught him up. It was Mark Cavendish and he put out his hand to shake. A gentleman of the road who did not run a red light despite being out cycled

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Tom hates cyclist's.

"

Tom hates nobody but he has dislikes.

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"I imagine Tom on a Penny Farthing in Colchester High St, dispensing local updates to the citizens of Essex from his lofty perch.

Leo...you think about Tom far too much ..."

Would he make it up the hill before getting to the elephant opposite The Centurion pub?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Does anyone want to defend Liam Rosney's actions?

30 weeks fot killing someone... For some reason road killers are always treated more leniently. "

I honestly don't know why it is but you are right. It's so wrong

I've just read a news story, drink driver, hit and run killing a motorcyclist.

And apparently that is also only careless and not dangerous driving. And just 4 years inside.

Bit again, he was "squishable" so hopefully recognised he was partly to blame

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I imagine Tom on a Penny Farthing in Colchester High St, dispensing local updates to the citizens of Essex from his lofty perch.

Would he make it up the hill before getting to the elephant opposite The Centurion pub?"

Yes, that's a tough one for cyclists!

Reply privately

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Would he make it up the hill before getting to the elephant opposite The Centurion pub?

Yes, that's a tough one for cyclists! "

I do like a polka dot jersey.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

"

Taking my words out of context and twisting their intent doesn't make you look good or clever.

Carry on though, show the world who you are

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

"

Taking my words out of context and twisting their intent doesn't make you look good or clever.

Carry on though, show the world who you are "

Critique is all about taking words out of context to show their "true" meaning - or just make a point.

Reply privately

By *orfy_n_pollyCouple
over a year ago

near to Downham Market

But riding single file means the overtake will take longer as the cyclists occupy a greater distance on the road - you may find it inconvenient to wait a few seconds behind those riding two abreast but it’s actually safer and you’ll soon catch up to the slower drivers a bit further up the road …. now they are REALLY bloody hard to pass aren’t they? I really would like motorists who moan about cyclists to try cycling themselves to see how badly many motorists behave. I suffered a road rage incident a couple of years ago - a 4x4 driver overtook me approaching a blind bend, a car came round the bend towards us and he had to cut back in almost catching my front wheel, I shook my fist at him and suddenly he wasn’t in such a hurry, stopping dead in the road in front of me, I swerved round him then he drew alongside me on the other side of the road to yell obscenities as we then approached a blind crest - unbelievable.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

My experience of cycling is that the majority of motorists are courteous and make allowances but the ones who drive badly, drive really badly.

They do dangerous things that put cyclists & other road users at risk.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Carry on though, show the world who you are

Critique is all about taking words out of context to show their "true" meaning - or just make a point. "

No it's not

Reply privately

over a year ago

"My experience of cycling is that the majority of motorists are courteous and make allowances but the ones who drive badly, drive really badly.

"

I think that is fair.

Reply privately

By *alleyDaveMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

The mr "

100% This. Cyclists are a bloody menace.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

The mr

100% This. Cyclists are a bloody menace. "

As are vehicle useres??

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

"My experience of cycling is that the majority of motorists are courteous and make allowances but the ones who drive badly, drive really badly.

I think that is fair. "

Maybe. On the other hand, driving is an inherently dangerous activity and constantly puts others at risk, whether the driver is reckless or not.

Cycling does too, but at a far, far, fat, …, far lower degree.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think that is fair.

Maybe. On the other hand, driving is an inherently dangerous activity and constantly puts others at risk, whether the driver is reckless or not.

Cycling does too, but at a far, far, fat, …, far lower degree. "

Also fair!

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

The mr

I suspect the tens of thousands of people killed or left with life changing injuries at the hands of motorists every year may feel differently about who the real menace is.

Reply privately

By *lipandSlide777Couple
over a year ago

Bideford

What annoys me is when I'm doing over 30mph in a 30 limit on my ebike, car drivers think they need to overtake me.

Reply privately

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

The mr

Is that right? I'll let my 7 year old daughter know that it's ok that car knocked her off her bike on the way home from school a few months ago, as she was a menace. It clearly wasn't his fault for not signalling at a roundabout. And he obviously had every right to get out his car and blame her while she was crying on the floor.

Just drive safely and respectfully, and keep the hatred down. It's not nice.

Reply privately

By *annibal_LickedherMan
over a year ago

The Side of the Mersey

"What annoys me is when I'm doing over 30mph in a 30 limit on my ebike, car drivers think they need to overtake me."

So you are speeding and moaning that somebody else is speeding and wants to go faster?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

"What annoys me is when I'm doing over 30mph in a 30 limit on my ebike, car drivers think they need to overtake me.

So you are speeding and moaning that somebody else is speeding and wants to go faster? "

Speeding while riding an illegally adapted bike because street legal ebikes won't do 30mph

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

"What annoys me is when I'm doing over 30mph in a 30 limit on my ebike, car drivers think they need to overtake me.

So you are speeding and moaning that somebody else is speeding and wants to go faster? "

C’mon! He’s not unique, is he? If you reach 30, ignoring whether it’s legal, if a car’s trying to overtake that’s annoying. And often unsafe. And often illustrates that drivers often simply have this feeling that they should be going faster than the cyclist. I sense that all the time. On narrow streets where the car’s frequently need to stop and pull over and I could have free reign at about 18mph, they’re forever trying to overtake. And invariably, if they. Have overtaken, they need to stop and slow me down with them.

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent. It is annoying when a driver is trying to overtake for no specific reason. My emotions aren’t always aware that I’m also breaking the speed limit (if it does apply to cyclists).

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

"Speeding while riding an illegally adapted bike because street legal ebikes won't do 30mph "

I’ve had 50+ out of mine. Just keep pedalling when the assistance stops. And make sure you’re going steeply downhill.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have a major problem with bikes,why o why do they never use the dedicated roads(lanes) that have been provided for them by the tax payer,they winge like fuck about other road users (who pay for the privilege)but do insist on using the roads.

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Bike lanes are full of glass and parked cars.

Roads are paid for by general taxation (not just VED) and are for the use of all, unless explicitly prohibited (such as motorways).

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Bike lanes are full of glass and parked cars.

Roads are paid for by general taxation (not just VED) and are for the use of all, unless explicitly prohibited (such as motorways). "

I'm sorry thats bollocks you just don't like the fact you have to stop to cross a junction and have a god given right to piss off everybody on the road including other bike riders when they are in there vehicles

Reply privately

By *otsossieMan
over a year ago

Chesterfield

Roads are paid for by general taxation (not just VED) and are for the use of all, unless explicitly prohibited (such as motorways).

I'm sorry thats bollocks you just don't like the fact you have to stop to cross a junction and have a god given right to piss off everybody on the road including other bike riders when they are in there vehicles "

No, it’s facts. Do some research.

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

I'm sorry thats bollocks you just don't like the fact you have to stop to cross a junction and have a god given right to piss off everybody on the road including other bike riders when they are in there vehicles

No, it’s facts. Do some research. "

Maybe he was addressing the emotional/motive aspect: i.e. saying that cyclists' motives for not always using the cycling lanes is that we like to annoy others, rather than taxation issue.

Hard point to make though, when there are so many reasons for sometimes joining the traffic - e.g. obstacles on the bike lane, knowledge that it soon ends and this is a good time leave it, slower cyclists ahead.

Reply privately

By *annibal_LickedherMan
over a year ago

The Side of the Mersey

"I have a major problem with bikes,why o why do they never use the dedicated roads(lanes) that have been provided for them by the tax payer,they winge like fuck about other road users (who pay for the privilege)but do insist on using the roads."

I pay road fund licence (not tax) on 3 different cars. Over £600 a year between the three of them. I’ll ride my bike on any stretch of fucking road I want to. I don’t do it to piss drivers off but if it winds people like you up then it’s just a bonus mate. That being said I ride considerately and with my own self preservation in mind.

Reply privately

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

I'm sorry thats bollocks you just don't like the fact you have to stop to cross a junction and have a god given right to piss off everybody on the road including other bike riders when they are in there vehicles "

Oh dear are you ok? You sound very stressed.

Reply privately

By *ucks Couple UKCouple
over a year ago

Bucks

I think people who talk about themselves in the third person have much bigger things to worry about

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

You only have to look at the anger and frankly idiocy in many of these posts to appreciate what the issue is.

Lack of respect of others and lack of respect (or perhaps understanding) of laws and highway code. What is bizarre is that drivers are picked up on cameras but bikes seems to get more of a free ride (see what I did there)

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I have a major problem with bikes,why o why do they never use the dedicated roads(lanes) that have been provided for them by the tax payer,they winge like fuck about other road users (who pay for the privilege)but do insist on using the roads."

I do use them! That are there! I still have to use a busy main road to and from work and will continue to use the road not pavement as is my right! Not to piss anyone of! Just to get to work and back! And I do pay for them in my taxes!! X

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Just a further thought. If I want to paddle or row or boat on a river or waterway I need an annual licence to do so. Water police enforce it.

Safe and considerate road usage of all road users is surely in all our interests?

Reply privately

By *annibal_LickedherMan
over a year ago

The Side of the Mersey

"Just a further thought. If I want to paddle or row or boat on a river or waterway I need an annual licence to do so. Water police enforce it.

Safe and considerate road usage of all road users is surely in all our interests? "

Not something I do but my mate spends a lot of time on waterways and mentioned it in a conversation like this.

But. Not a massive amount going on for the water police to deal with so it’s easier for them to enforce compared to cycling

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Just a further thought. If I want to paddle or row or boat on a river or waterway I need an annual licence to do so. Water police enforce it.

Safe and considerate road usage of all road users is surely in all our interests? "

You don't need a licence to use your boat on the road though.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Safe and considerate road usage of all road users is surely in all our interests?

You don't need a licence to use your boat on the road though."

Try jumping the lights on a paddle board

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

But do you have a license for walking on the streets?

Nothing's a direct comparison. I'm sure there are fors and againsts for requiring a license. But we don't want a situation where the default in society is to require a license for every nameable activity. I haven't studied the matter from a lawmaking perspective, but I'm pretty certain cycling licenses aren't a good idea; would discourage cycling, especially infrequent cyclists who (given climate change) should be encouraged, would discourage young cyclists who should be encouraged, cyclists are not very dangerous and don't cause much wear and tear to the roads. I'm pretty sure that the principal reason that some people want cyclists to need a license is that they're miffed. But I could be wrong.

Reply privately

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

I agree that it’s not in keeping with the spirit of the law, but speed limits do not legally apply to bicycles (or anything else that’s not powered by an infernal combustion engine).

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Nothing's a direct comparison. I'm sure there are fors and againsts for requiring a license. But we don't want a situation where the default in society is to require a license for every nameable activity. I haven't studied the matter from a lawmaking perspective, but I'm pretty certain cycling licenses aren't a good idea; would discourage cycling, especially infrequent cyclists who (given climate change) should be encouraged, would discourage young cyclists who should be encouraged, cyclists are not very dangerous and don't cause much wear and tear to the roads. I'm pretty sure that the principal reason that some people want cyclists to need a license is that they're miffed. But I could be wrong."

Yes nail on head here! X

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

OK slightly different tack...

How would you improve it then?

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Nothing's a direct comparison. I'm sure there are fors and againsts for requiring a license. But we don't want a situation where the default in society is to require a license for every nameable activity. I haven't studied the matter from a lawmaking perspective, but I'm pretty certain cycling licenses aren't a good idea; would discourage cycling, especially infrequent cyclists who (given climate change) should be encouraged, would discourage young cyclists who should be encouraged, cyclists are not very dangerous and don't cause much wear and tear to the roads. I'm pretty sure that the principal reason that some people want cyclists to need a license is that they're miffed. But I could be wrong."

Not sure. The thought of more youngens or incompetent cyclists on the roads and footpaths doesn't improve the situation. We need to encourage safe cycling... Not any cycling.

Reply privately

By *un-n-frolicsMan
over a year ago

London

Nothing's a direct comparison. I'm sure there are fors and againsts for requiring a license. But we don't want a situation where the default in society is to require a license for every nameable activity. I haven't studied the matter from a lawmaking perspective, but I'm pretty certain cycling licenses aren't a good idea; would discourage cycling, especially infrequent cyclists who (given climate change) should be encouraged, would discourage young cyclists who should be encouraged, cyclists are not very dangerous and don't cause much wear and tear to the roads. I'm pretty sure that the principal reason that some people want cyclists to need a license is that they're miffed. But I could be wrong.

Not sure. The thought of more youngens or incompetent cyclists on the roads and footpaths doesn't improve the situation. We need to encourage safe cycling... Not any cycling. "

How are they meant to get into cycling without first being encouraged to do so?

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Every country that has looked at feasibility studies for licensing cyclists or registration players have realised very early on that it is completely unworkable.

The police can and do stop cyclists that are red light jumping, or riding in pedestrianised areas and the wrong way down one way streets though these are usually targeted crackdowns. The police routinely fail to stop motorists speeding, using mobiles and countless other illegal activities. This lack of police action cuts both ways. But while cyclists might frustrate other road users they rarely kill or cripple them unlike motorists.

I'd argue there is a very strong case for registering/licensing delivery cyclists,certainly when I'm in London these are the worst for anti-social and dangerous cycling and for riding illegal ebikes. Like motorists who use their vehicles for business it seems reasonable that cyclists who do the same should face more scrutiny.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

Not sure. The thought of more youngens or incompetent cyclists on the roads and footpaths doesn't improve the situation. We need to encourage safe cycling... Not any cycling. "

The way to encourage safe cycling is to get more motorists off the road and on bikes or public transport. Which is a chicken and egg situation.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Not sure. The thought of more youngens or incompetent cyclists on the roads and footpaths doesn't improve the situation. We need to encourage safe cycling... Not any cycling.

How are they meant to get into cycling without first being encouraged to do so? "

Where did I say that? I wrote

"we need to encourage safe cycling".

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

The way to encourage safe cycling is to get more motorists off the road and on bikes or public transport. Which is a chicken and egg situation."

No it isn't. The two are separate issues. People can take responsibility to cycle safely. Of course encouraging and policing safer road use by cars is necessary too.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

The way to encourage safe cycling is to get more motorists off the road and on bikes or public transport. Which is a chicken and egg situation.

No it isn't. The two are separate issues. People can take responsibility to cycle safely. Of course encouraging and policing safer road use by cars is necessary too. "

It's nothing to do with cycling safely. It is a recognised fact backed up by multiple studies thst the single biggest reason people on Britain are reluctant to ride bikes is the volume of traffic on the roads.

Reply privately

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

No it isn't. The two are separate issues. People can take responsibility to cycle safely. Of course encouraging and policing safer road use by cars is necessary too.

It's nothing to do with cycling safely. It is a recognised fact backed up by multiple studies thst the single biggest reason people on Britain are reluctant to ride bikes is the volume of traffic on the roads."

I think you're conflating a few issues. People can cycle without being on roads. (recreational).

But 100% agree. I acquired a bike a year ago but there is no chance in hell of me riding it on the roads around me which are death traps, potholed, badly lit, badly marked, over grown, poorly drained, third world is appropriate.

Reply privately

By *ohn KanakaMan
over a year ago

It's nothing to do with cycling safely. It is a recognised fact backed up by multiple studies thst the single biggest reason people on Britain are reluctant to ride bikes is the volume of traffic on the roads.

I think you're conflating a few issues. People can cycle without being on roads. (recreational).

But 100% agree. I acquired a bike a year ago but there is no chance in hell of me riding it on the roads around me which are death traps, potholed, badly lit, badly marked, over grown, poorly drained, third world is appropriate. "

Of course people can cycle recreational away from roads but to get people using bikes to commute, to go to the shops for short journeys, people need to feel safe. And there are proven societal and health benefits for a culture where that is the norm.

Reply privately

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

Here is a playlist of videos on YouTube from Ashley Neal a driving instructor. Showing how drivers and cyclists interact with each other, with good and bad on both sides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9RJfhVVe2A&list=PLKmQyBNt99LQRIehOIQmNs2ffTmrdGbRE

Reply privately

over a year ago

No, it’s facts. Do some research.

Maybe he was addressing the emotional/motive aspect: i.e. saying that cyclists' motives for not always using the cycling lanes is that we like to annoy others, rather than taxation issue.

Hard point to make though, when there are so many reasons for sometimes joining the traffic - e.g. obstacles on the bike lane, knowledge that it soon ends and this is a good time leave it, slower cyclists ahead. "

Its not about not always using cycle paths its the fact so much money gets used to create these safe places for bicycles to operate,but no cyclist's use them,thats the problem for me,in Staffordshire there is 1000s of miles of safe cycle lanes but the cyclist's use the carriage way next to said cycle ways.

Reply privately