Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Carry on films

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

For many, Barbara Windsor was the epitome of the Carry on 'buxom babe'.

Who was your favourite Carry on girl?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *es_ivebeen_hereb4Man
over a year ago

I'm always around here

Difficult as most were when I was a young lad and knew nothing but now I watch and wish TV was like that now...

Babs, or the other young girls were great and the innuendo was just brilliant...

Everyone had to love sid James though...

"For many, Barbara Windsor was the epitome of the Carry on 'buxom babe'.

Who was your favourite Carry on girl?"

By *espicablyMeMan
over a year ago

Wrexham

Valerie Leon, not in many but epically beautiful woman.

Joan Sims was very sexy in the earlier ones, hell she was sexy throughout the series.

over a year ago

The most obvious choice would be Valerie Leon or Margaret Nolan. Top of my list of course, but I have a soft spot for Carol Hawkins.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Joan Sims

Gail Grainger

Sally Geeson

By *ittlebirdWoman
over a year ago

The Big Smoke

Hattie Jacques by miles. I loved her humour

By *P994Man
over a year ago

Travelling

Oooh matron, I always thought Jacki Piper was very attractive.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Margaret Nolan...specially in Carry on Girls. Cat fight scene with Babs!

over a year ago

Fenella fielding stands out for some reason

By *onnatvsussexTV/TS
over a year ago

littlehampton

Angela Douglas,

By *entlemanFoxMan
over a year ago

North East / London

Shirley Eaton - the nurse that inspired 'Ding Dong'

She was also the golden girl in Goldfinger.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Amanda Barrie was a very attractive lady, as was Margaret Nolan; in passing you may be interested to know that everyone of the actors was paid extremely badly; the producers were extraordinarily tight fisted even though the box office figures were good.

By *elvet RopeMan
over a year ago

by the big field

"Angela Douglas,"

utterly delicious

By *ibi_curiousCouple
over a year ago

Shepperton

Liz Frazer in carry on regardless

over a year ago

The fucking woke mob will be out in force soon castigating you all as pervs, mysoganistic wankers and all sorts,wait for the replies lol.

over a year ago

Syd James made me piss yah yah yah lol.

over a year ago

"Amanda Barrie was a very attractive lady, as was Margaret Nolan; in passing you may be interested to know that everyone of the actors was paid extremely badly; the producers were extraordinarily tight fisted even though the box office figures were good. "
I wasn’t aware, cheers.

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

I’m an absolute devotee of the Carry Ons … and devoured them all on ITV4 over Christmas.

I think the top ladies are all listed above, Valerie Leon Mmmm, and Angela Douglas, and the stunning Shirley Eaton … but the ultimate has to be Liz Fraser and Dilys Lahye in Carry On Cruising. Getting dressed in their cabin in their lingerie and stockings … mmmmm, the epitome of feminine elegance - and just my style!

That said .. plenty of scenes in Carry On Doctor, showing nurses in Fully Fashioned Stockings.

R xx

over a year ago

"Joan Sims

Gail Grainger

Sally Geeson

"

Gail Grainger not many of the films, the main one being Carry On Abroad. Such a shame.

over a year ago

"Margaret Nolan...specially in Carry on Girls. Cat fight scene with Babs!"
A Man after my own heart

over a year ago

"I’m an absolute devotee of the Carry Ons … and devoured them all on ITV4 over Christmas.

I think the top ladies are all listed above, Valerie Leon Mmmm, and Angela Douglas, and the stunning Shirley Eaton … but the ultimate has to be Liz Fraser and Dilys Lahye in Carry On Cruising. Getting dressed in their cabin in their lingerie and stockings … mmmmm, the epitome of feminine elegance - and just my style!

That said .. plenty of scenes in Carry On Doctor, showing nurses in Fully Fashioned Stockings.

R xx"

You're forgetting Esma Cannon

over a year ago

Overlooked, is Adrienne Posta, who played Scrubber in Up Pompeii

over a year ago

"Syd James made me piss yah yah yah lol."
"This is the wife...don't laugh "

over a year ago

"Fenella fielding stands out for some reason "
For a couple of reasons, but I can't quite put my finger on them

By *ames250122Man
over a year ago

Worcester

Barbara was absolutely my favourite but there was many other actresses that appeared in a couple of the films that also caused some embarrassing reactions while watching the carry on films. Especially Amanda Barrie

over a year ago

Barbara was absolutely my favourite but there was many other actresses that appeared in a couple of the films that also caused some embarrassing reactions while watching the carry on films. Especially Amanda Barrie "

It was the eyes, wasn't it?

By *ames250122Man
over a year ago

Worcester

Barbara was absolutely my favourite but there was many other actresses that appeared in a couple of the films that also caused some embarrassing reactions while watching the carry on films. Especially Amanda Barrie It was the eyes, wasn't it?"

Lol they where certainly part of it, indeed

By *melia DominaTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

Carry on films.. love them..

But so out dated and alot should not be shown anymore just because of the nature of the comedy.

over a year ago

Love the Carry On films, my favourite actresses in these were Valerie Leon, Margaret Nolan and especially Madelaine Smith. All busty and coincidentally all Bond girls too.

By *melia DominaTV/TS
over a year ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

"Carry on films.. love them..

But so out dated and alot should not be shown anymore just because of the nature of the comedy. . Here we go the fuckin wokesters."

It is called progress...

There is a mountain of comedy from all decades that is inappropriate in modern society.

Blacking up a British white male in "up the kybar" as an example is highly offensive.

The film is funny, but is inappropriate.

No different to tropic thunder another funny film but completely inappropriate.

If you don't see that........

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

"Shirley Eaton - the nurse that inspired 'Ding Dong'

She was also the golden girl in Goldfinger. "

Dale Wintons mum...I believe

By *ts the taking part thatMan
over a year ago

southampton

Dily's Laye, nice looking lady & Angela Douglas.

over a year ago

Liz Fraser

Joan Simms

loved the vintage underwear, spent many happy time wanking over these films in my youth

By *dward_TeagueMan
over a year ago

wolverhampton

Two ladies who were only in single films (I think)!

Elke Sommer and Fenella Fielding were lovely and I must be in the minority when I say that I never saw the appeal of Barbara Windsor totally not my type.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

But so out dated and alot should not be shown anymore just because of the nature of the comedy. . Here we go the fuckin wokesters.

It is called progress...

There is a mountain of comedy from all decades that is inappropriate in modern society.

Blacking up a British white male in "up the kybar" as an example is highly offensive.

The film is funny, but is inappropriate.

No different to tropic thunder another funny film but completely inappropriate.

If you don't see that........

"

I'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude..

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

But so out dated and alot should not be shown anymore just because of the nature of the comedy. . Here we go the fuckin wokesters."

Aren't you the charmer.

I'm sure the Carry on films are hilarious if you enjoy racist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic humour.

They definitely had their time and

But tastes and styles of humour have changed.

Name-calling people as "wokesters" as you call it isn't going to help.

If you enjoy the film's that's up to you but to quote sid James ( Blow's a raspberry with tongue and stick's up the V sign )

By *espicablyMeMan
over a year ago

Wrexham

But so out dated and alot should not be shown anymore just because of the nature of the comedy. "

Personally I think you're wrong. You can't suppress the culture of the past just because it offends or doesn't agree with the current cultural trends or beliefs.

I'm not saying that it's agreeable but it's historical record of the society of the day. You can't be selective in that you have to accept it warts and all.

Remember it's a choice if you want to watch it, if you watch it you're allowed to be offended and to criticise it but don't censor it to the point it prevents others experiencing it.

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

But so out dated and alot should not be shown anymore just because of the nature of the comedy.

Personally I think you're wrong. You can't suppress the culture of the past just because it offends or doesn't agree with the current cultural trends or beliefs.

I'm not saying that it's agreeable but it's historical record of the society of the day. You can't be selective in that you have to accept it warts and all.

Remember it's a choice if you want to watch it, if you watch it you're allowed to be offended and to criticise it but don't censor it to the point it prevents others experiencing it.

"

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

Absolutely love that whole era and genre of films.

Norman wisdom, carry on, on the buses etc are my absolutely perfect way to spend a miserable cold, dark, wet, Sunday afternoon in a blanket fort watching them.

Anyone is of course welcome to complain about the sexist style of carry on films but we’d never get on, and modern rap music videos are more sexist to the women dancing imo

The actresses when interviewed later in life talk about the films in nothing but positive ways saying they were wonderful times.

In later life it would have been easy for them to do an interview saying they felt degraded etc but to my knowledge none of them did.

The curves and classy lingerie were a thing of wonder for me growing up

over a year ago

"Love the Carry On films, my favourite actresses in these were Valerie Leon, Margaret Nolan and especially Madelaine Smith. All busty and coincidentally all Bond girls too."
Have you seen Madelaine in Up Pompeii? It's the only time I've seen her topless.

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

It is quite sad that what I think was intended as a light hearted look at something clearly many of us remember and enjoy, has evolved into a debate on political correctness… a regular occurrence!!

The films are of their age, yes … and often carry a warning of exactly that … so you have a choice if you don’t want to watch it! … don’t watch it!

What I do find a little perverse, is that these films in the day would NEVER have been licensed if they showed anything remotely like the gratuitous sex and violence we routinely see and accept in modern films .. and don’t even blink!

Carry on … carrying on! Peeps

R xx

over a year ago

Sid James and Barbara Windsor very funny pair

By *layfullsamMan
over a year ago

Solihull

"It is quite sad that what I think was intended as a light hearted look at something clearly many of us remember and enjoy, has evolved into a debate on political correctness… a regular occurrence!!

The films are of their age, yes … and often carry a warning of exactly that … so you have a choice if you don’t want to watch it! … don’t watch it!

What I do find a little perverse, is that these films in the day would NEVER have been licensed if they showed anything remotely like the gratuitous sex and violence we routinely see and accept in modern films .. and don’t even blink!

R xx"

Totally agree

It’s absolutely ridiculous that carry on type films are judged when a rap video shows 100x more t.ts, naked flesh and grinding than carry on ever did.

A cheeky innuendo, bottom slap and ‘ding dong’ gets people all pc ?!! The world has indeed gone mad

By *adtaffladMan
over a year ago

Rhyl

Joan Simms or Valerie leon

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"It is quite sad that what I think was intended as a light hearted look at something clearly many of us remember and enjoy, has evolved into a debate on political correctness… a regular occurrence!!

R xx

Totally agree

It’s absolutely ridiculous that carry on type films are judged when a rap video shows 100x more t.ts, naked flesh and grinding than carry on ever did.

A cheeky innuendo, bottom slap and ‘ding dong’ gets people all pc ?!! The world has indeed gone mad"

So just to clarify.

You like rap music?

By *ronmant16Man
over a year ago

Sheffield

"Liz Frazer in carry on regardless "

Liz Frazer gets my vote too, absolutely beautiful and sexy at the same time, fantastic figure too

over a year ago

Granted this is a different genre but let's compare the Carry on's with something like Love Island.

Which would you consider more scandalous and offensive?

I know which I'd choose.

By *olex99Man
over a year ago

Hull

Angela Douglas & Jacki Piper were the only ones worth a bean and they're probably not regarded as Carry On regulars.

By *oom Bang a BangMan
over a year ago

Watford

Juliet Mills in Carry On Jack

over a year ago

I don’t really care about the prudish responses, I just think they’re tedious, crap films… From a Google image search I’d say Margaret Nolan looks like she was gorgeous

over a year ago

"I don’t really care about the prudish responses, I just think they’re tedious, crap films… From a Google image search I’d say Margaret Nolan looks like she was gorgeous"

She did a bit of nudie photography back in the day

By *illybeachboyMan
over a year ago

Guernsey

[Removed by poster at 07/01/23 16:43:10]

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Liz Frazer in carry on regardless "

Liz Fraser (whose real name was Joan Winch) was a really talented actress and in her free time was an exceptional Bridge and Poker player; when her acting career petered out she was a wealthy property developer and owner.

Her best remembered films were: Two Way Stretch and Double Bunk, etc. She also had a successful TV career and appeared in The Saint.

over a year ago

Gail Grainger for me

But Barbara Windsor obviously stunning also

over a year ago

"Gail Grainger for me

But Barbara Windsor obviously stunning also "

"Ms Plunket, you're squashing my itinerary"

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

The very best Carry on, in terms of the quality of its production, in my own opinion is 'Screaming'; Fenella Fielding, who in real life was a cultured and erudite lady and was very active on the London arts scene was brilliant as the smoking seductress.

Harry H Corbett (Steptoe junior) who was also a highly accomplished actor, was the investigating cop.

I think Angela Douglas and her mannequin double were superb too, both of them!

Many people like Carry on Camping with Barbara Deeks (Windsor) and Hattie Le Mesurier (Jacques) and the ubiquitous Kenny Williams, but I thought it was a bit crude and I could never warm to Barbara Windsor.

The most phony Carry on has to be up the Kyber, that was purportedly set in India, but was actually filmed in Llanberis, Wales where a special plaque was just recently unveiled.

over a year ago

"The very best Carry on, in terms of the quality of its production, in my own opinion is 'Screaming'; Fenella Fielding, who in real life was a cultured and erudite lady and was very active on the London arts scene was brilliant as the smoking seductress.

Harry H Corbett (Steptoe junior) who was also a highly accomplished actor, was the investigating cop.

Many people like Carry on Camping with Barbara Deeks (Windsor) and Hattie Le Mesurier (Jacques) and the ubiquitous Kenny Williams, but I thought it was a bit crude and I could never warm to Barbara Windsor.

The most phony Carry on has to be up the Kyber, that was purportedly set in India, but was actually filmed in Llanberis, Wales where a special plaque was just recently unveiled. "

I agree about Screaming being the best produced Carry on. Plus it shows how good Corbett would have been in other Carry ons.

I also agree about Babs. She didn't do much for me either, but I guess she was a fun, bubbly character who sat well as the main object of interest for Sid James.

Far more attractive to me were the beautiful Valerie Leon and Margaret Nolan. But i guess they didn't have the same, bubbly, playful personality as Babs.

Going back to the movies, my top five are

Screaming

Abroad

Cruising

Cleo

Camping

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Carry on Emmanuelle was a low point; in fact by a long chalk, the lowest point; an awful film.

Carry on Teacher and some of the really early films, such as Nurse and Sergeant were creditable.

over a year ago

"The very best Carry on, in terms of the quality of its production, in my own opinion is 'Screaming'; Fenella Fielding, who in real life was a cultured and erudite lady and was very active on the London arts scene was brilliant as the smoking seductress.

The most phony Carry on has to be up the Kyber, that was purportedly set in India, but was actually filmed in Llanberis, Wales where a special plaque was just recently unveiled.

I agree about Screaming being the best produced Carry on. Plus it shows how good Corbett would have been in other Carry ons.

I also agree about Babs. She didn't do much for me either, but I guess she was a fun, bubbly character who sat well as the main object of interest for Sid James.

Far more attractive to me were the beautiful Valerie Leon and Margaret Nolan. But i guess they didn't have the same, bubbly, playful personality as Babs.

Going back to the movies, my top five are

Screaming

Abroad

Cruising

Cleo

Camping"

Convenience

Abroad

Camping

Cleo

Teacher

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

...at your convenience is quite good, with Kenneth Cope, Bernard Breslaw and the lead actor, whom I can't name, but I think only appeared in one Carry on outing.

An industrial relations farce, but enjoyable.

The Carry on (camel) with Phil Silvers from Bilko was definitely not one of my favourites.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Jim Dale is my favourite. He was and still us lovely.

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

"...at your convenience is quite good, with Kenneth Cope, Bernard Breslaw and the lead actor, whom I can't name, but I think only appeared in one Carry on outing.

An industrial relations farce, but enjoyable.

The Carry on (camel) with Phil Silvers from Bilko was definitely not one of my favourites."

At Your Convenience was deliberately written to parody the level of industrial relations we saw in Britain in the early 70s.

I think the actor you referred to was Richard O’Callaghan who played Lewis Boggs. It was his only Carry On outing.

I quite like Follow That Camel, but as you say Phil Silvers doesn’t quite cut it … that was his only Carry On outing. He was brought across from the USA (and paid significantly more than other Carry On actors) to reprise his ‘Sgt Bilko’ character which had finished 7 years earlier. The part was designed for Sid James, but he wasn’t available at the time of filming.

R xx

By *irty-pairCouple
over a year ago

South Essex

Wendy Richards was gorgeous

over a year ago

"Wendy Richards was gorgeous "

You're right, she was a good looking gal.

Not on everyones list of Carry on favourites though.

By *iss KinkWoman
over a year ago

North/Blackpool

Love them. Carry on camping/matron where my favs

By *gent CoulsonMan
over a year ago

Secret hideaway in the pennines

"Fenella fielding stands out for some reason "
she definitely was hot in carry on screaming, I would go so far as to say smoking

over a year ago

"Fenella fielding stands out for some reason she definitely was hot in carry on screaming, I would go so far as to say smoking"

She could have smoked my pipe, that's for sure!

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Fenella Fielding was a highly distinctive lady, with a slightly unusual visage, who was extremely well educated, cultured, refined and desirable as a party guest for many decades. She had many strings to her bow, to use an old expression.

I would love to have met her, in the flesh!

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

Valerie Leon for sure. She also looked stunning in Blood From The Mummy’s Tomb.

Fenella Fielding did weird things to me as a kid (not literally!) and I’m sure she’s why I was a goth.

over a year ago

Fennella Fielding and Angela Douglas from Carry on Screaming

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

In Carry on Camping, one lady who had a ridiculous laugh and wore a safari suit, which looked daft, was a versatile comedienne called Betty Marsden, who featured in the famous radio programmed Round the Horne, and Beyond our Ken with versatile Kenneth Williams and his sidekick Hugh Paddick:Julian and Sandy.

They were two camp men who adopted a theme each week; in comedy circles they are still talked about six decades+ after their last broadcast.

For example, they were the Bona Lawyers one week, who engaged in a criminal practice whilst conversing in Polari. If you have no notion of what I am now talking about, listen to Julian and Sandy episodes on YouTube. The zenith of British radio comedy, with Betty Marsden, who was a non-entity in... Camping.

By *mateur100Man
over a year ago

nr faversham

Don't know her name but the lady who was with roy castle in carry on up the khyber

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"In Carry on Camping, one lady who had a ridiculous laugh and wore a safari suit, which looked daft, was a versatile comedienne called Betty Marsden, who featured in the famous radio programmed Round the Horne, and Beyond our Ken with versatile Kenneth Williams and his sidekick Hugh Paddick:Julian and Sandy.

They were two camp men who adopted a theme each week; in comedy circles they are still talked about six decades+ after their last broadcast.

For example, they were the Bona Lawyers one week, who engaged in a criminal practice whilst conversing in Polari. If you have no notion of what I am now talking about, listen to Julian and Sandy episodes on YouTube. The zenith of British radio comedy, with Betty Marsden, who was a non-entity in... Camping."

Hello.....my names Julian.......and this is my friend Sandy

By * F 2018Couple
over a year ago

shropshire

All were good....

By *ig FredMan
over a year ago

Nearby

Finella Fielding was amazingly sexy but Hattie Jacques and the fact she cuckolded John le Mesurier in real life !!

over a year ago

"All were good...."

I still have a giggle when Sid James, in Carry on Abroad says, "I'm Vic, Vic Flange...this is the wife...don't laugh..yak yak yak"

over a year ago

"Finella Fielding was amazingly sexy but Hattie Jacques and the fact she cuckolded John le Mesurier in real life !!"

I think he was just such a nice person, he didn't was to make waves so just let it happen.

His portayal of Sgt Wilson in Dad's Army was basically him just being himself.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"Don't know her name but the lady who was with roy castle in carry on up the khyber"

If you're thinking of Princess Jelhi, then it's the stunning Angela Douglas, who was at her best in Carry on Screaming

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 10/01/23 22:21:09]

over a year ago

"Don't know her name but the lady who was with roy castle in carry on up the khyber

If you're thinking of Princess Jelhi, then it's the stunning Angela Douglas, who was at her best in Carry on Screaming

"

Is she the one who uttered the famous line.."What a funny way to check my port hole"

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

Joan Sims was excellent in the early Carry Ons, but regrettably she developed a lot of health problems in later life.

over a year ago

Kenneth Williams

over a year ago

Kenneth Williams "

'ere, stop messin about!

over a year ago

"Love the Carry On films, my favourite actresses in these were Valerie Leon, Margaret Nolan and especially Madelaine Smith. All busty and coincidentally all Bond girls too. Have you seen Madelaine in Up Pompeii? It's the only time I've seen her topless."

I have that DVD. She had amazingly expressive eyes too.

over a year ago

"

I think the actor you referred to was Richard O’Callaghan who played Lewis Boggs. It was his only Carry On outing.

"

He was also in Carry On Loving, I think he was Patricia Hayes's son.

over a year ago

"

He was also in Carry On Loving, I think he was Patricia Hayes's son."

Oh yes. He made model aeroplanes out of milk bottle tops.

over a year ago

"

Oh yes. He made model aeroplanes out of milk bottle tops."

I just remebered Mike Grady is in it too. Better known as Barry off Last of the Summer Wine.

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

"

Oh yes. He made model aeroplanes out of milk bottle tops."

You are right …I stand corrected! X

By *iddlesticksMan
over a year ago

My nan’s spare room.

I thought Joan Simms was marvellous.

Post new Message to Thread