Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Dog breeds

Jump to newest

By *denvents2 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Oh so whats happend to all the classic dog breeds I grew up with.

Had been thinking about getting a puppy for the last year, and looked into the breeds we had when I was young. English mastiff and bloodhound.

They seem to have vanished off the face of the earth, and I dont even remeber walking past any in years.

Whats happening people. Whats happening!!!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Little dogs seem to be more common now. I work next to a dog groomers/day care and its mostly pugs, terriers and dashaunds going in.

By *an4funMan
over a year ago

london

It's all about the doodle these days. It's the current trend

over a year ago

It was cynnn-nahhh.

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

"It's all about the doodle these days. It's the current trend"

Dogs that a few years ago would have classed as a mongrel. Now so called designer dogs.

XX

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

I'd only have a chow chow... but so expensive now

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

just somewhere around here

Look for specific breed rescue groups on social media

We rehome St Bernards

By *ocothumpaMan
over a year ago

quite close to you

I don’t see as many Staffs as I used to (kinda good thing) but also a bit odd, as only a few years ago every other dog was a staff but they’ve all disappeared I haven’t seen one in ages and I live in a ‘chavy’ area of the world.

When I was growing up everyone I knew had one of two breeds of dog: Alsatian or no dog.

By *denvents2 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

So many seem to have vanished. Love a good old fashion dog. Had a staffi for 13 years and was lovely nanny dog. Soft as anything.

Rehoming isnt a bad idea. I just know a few dogs set such a bond with there owners its a tough road

By *denvents2 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Aww sounds amazing work. Do they setrle into a new home well or do they have a strong bonding insrincet

over a year ago

Humans thats what's happened

By *denvents2 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Dang humans they screw everyrhing up

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

"Aww sounds amazing work. Do they setrle into a new home well or do they have a strong bonding insrincet"

They vary we are on our 5th rescue

We've had 8 saints in total, we normally have two at the same time but we are down to one as we lost our big boy in the summer.

Him and our previous girl we had were brilliant together we will never replicate that bond they had

Minnie our current girl is a bit reactive so we are unsure how she will be, the first few months are always difficult but they do settle

By *rincipessaWoman
over a year ago

your wildest dreams,

Yeah was talking with my daughter the other day. Don’t see Dalmatian’s, afghans or red setters much.

over a year ago

"It's all about the doodle these days. It's the current trend

Dogs that a few years ago would have classed as a mongrel. Now so called designer dogs.

XX"

This and people are making thousands breeding them!!

By *denvents2 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

Aww sorry to hear of the loss. Ythe are stunning dogs. But never had contact with one.

I always tend to keep the onea ive had experiance with x

By *denvents2 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Northampton

So many have vanished. Its a conspiracy

By *ilversunMan
over a year ago

Cumbernauld

I have 2 rescue Galgos (Spanish greyhounds)

By *itvclaireTV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

"I have 2 rescue Galgos (Spanish greyhounds)"

Not heard of the breed before. I've had rescue greyhounds in the past,lovely dogs. Used to call them my 40 mph couch potatoes.

XX

By *rtyIanMan
over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

I have a Bassett hound well I got him part time lol

Where I live there are quite a few traditional breeds but also all the pug cross mongrel money makers

It beggars belief people pay the amounts of money they do for essentially a mongrel

By *iman2100Man
over a year ago

Glasgow

I think on reason is the cost of having a big dog. We have two small ones and their health insurance, grooming and food costs a lot.

One sad thing is, on our daily dog walks, quite a few of the big dogs are nervous and as a consequence aggressive. Their owners often say they are re-homed. Dogs are a big commitment not to be taken lightly.

over a year ago

"Oh so whats happend to all the classic dog breeds I grew up with.

Had been thinking about getting a puppy for the last year, and looked into the breeds we had when I was young. English mastiff and bloodhound.

They seem to have vanished off the face of the earth, and I dont even remeber walking past any in years.

Whats happening people. Whats happening!!! "

You are right. I was chatting about this last year with another dog walker.

I hadn't had a dog since the late 80's, and adopted a Romanian rescue in 2020.

When walking her over the park, i didn't recognise a majority of the dogs.

As someone above said, its about the 'Doodles' now. Definitely the most common.

But i suppose with the Internet, people can browse more for suggestions and adopt from further afield.

There are still Labs, Collies, Westies, Jacks and other old reliables.

But now so many more crosses.

By *unthum62Man
over a year ago

Benidorm

Big dogs, big bills is not true either.

I saw an article saying the average vet bills for a pug type worked out at about £6000 due to breeding issues affecting their breathing. Thats frightening.

People can have any breed or cross they like as long as they care for their animal but breeding dogs with health issues and lifelong problems is plain wrong. But money talks.

I have 4 spaniels, a labrador and a mastin x wolfdog the latter being a rescue dog who is lovely if you are in her "team".

Thankfully vets in Spain are very reasonable with their bills.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

All modern dog breeds were originally cross breeds. Not all of them were physical working breeds either, and had other jobs (some were just for show, status, or simple companion anyway). They were cross bred for genetic, appearance, and tempermental traits from both parent breeds to fit the needs of humans, be it hunting, herding, guarding, or just family companion.

Predigree / Cross Breed / Mongrel (mixed breed)

They are 3 separate things. Pedigree is generally what we all know, and considered to be "proper" mostly based upon KC.

Cross breed is the breeding of two known pedigree breeds.

Mongrel is a mix of 3 or more breeds or just unknown (at least 1 parent being a cross breed or a Mongrel).

Unless you go to a registered and reputable breeder it is highly likely your dog is not a full pedigree anyway and is most likely a Mongrel (no matter how much you paid for it).

Some modern "designer" Cross breeds actually have great roles in the world. Cockapoo for example have one of the absolute best and consistent temperments of any dog breed out there, amazing for first time owners.

All of the poodle cross breeds are generally also none shedding breeds, and hypoallergenic making them great for those allergic to most other breeds. There are pedigree breeds that fit this (the poodle itself, Yorkie, bichon etc) but in the case of poodle and Yorkie, they are hunting dogs by nature. Less of the soft temperment of potential cross breeds.

Smaller dogs are more common because they are just simply easier to mass breed and transport (puppy farms and backyard breeders) but also homespace is much smaller than it used to be for a lot of people, smaller dogs take much less space, and cheaper to have and care for.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Big dogs, big bills is not true either."

But it is true, unless it is an unhealthy dog, and depending upon the condition and treatment required. Of course a German Shepherd will generally have less vet bills than any Brachycephalic breed on average. But if a Beagle needs cruciate ligament surgery it will cost less than the same treatment for a Great Dane.

I have 2 dogs of different sizes. The cost of my beagle for medication, treatment, insurance, feeding, treats, toys, bedding, and pretty much anything is much higher than the cost for my Patterdale. In some cases it may be pennies or a pound or two, but it adds up.

Hell the cost of feeding my brothers mastiff per month is close to equal or more than feeding my own two smaller dogs.

By *i1971Man
over a year ago

Cornwall

I saw an old fashioned British Bulldog only a few weeks ago and thought then that I'd not seen them for several years & started thinking about breeds we see less of now.

Dalmatians, Red & English Setters, Pointers, Afghan Hounds and the Dulux dogs aka Old English Sheepdogs to name a few are seldom seen.

The new mixed breeds are fairly common though but aren't all the smaller varieties here

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"All modern dog breeds were originally cross breeds. Not all of them were physical working breeds either, and had other jobs (some were just for show, status, or simple companion anyway). They were cross bred for genetic, appearance, and tempermental traits from both parent breeds to fit the needs of humans, be it hunting, herding, guarding, or just family companion.

Predigree / Cross Breed / Mongrel (mixed breed)

They are 3 separate things. Pedigree is generally what we all know, and considered to be "proper" mostly based upon KC.

Cross breed is the breeding of two known pedigree breeds.

Mongrel is a mix of 3 or more breeds or just unknown (at least 1 parent being a cross breed or a Mongrel).

Unless you go to a registered and reputable breeder it is highly likely your dog is not a full pedigree anyway and is most likely a Mongrel (no matter how much you paid for it).

Some modern "designer" Cross breeds actually have great roles in the world. Cockapoo for example have one of the absolute best and consistent temperments of any dog breed out there, amazing for first time owners.

All of the poodle cross breeds are generally also none shedding breeds, and hypoallergenic making them great for those allergic to most other breeds. There are pedigree breeds that fit this (the poodle itself, Yorkie, bichon etc) but in the case of poodle and Yorkie, they are hunting dogs by nature. Less of the soft temperment of potential cross breeds.

Smaller dogs are more common because they are just simply easier to mass breed and transport (puppy farms and backyard breeders) but also homespace is much smaller than it used to be for a lot of people, smaller dogs take much less space, and cheaper to have and care for. "

I was just coming to make the point about shedding and allergies being not totally eradicated but massively lessened with regards to poodle or bichon crosses.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

That nice Mr Trump has a special dog. It's a cross of Great Dane, American Bulldog, Shihtzu and Setter.......called .... A Great American Bullshitter.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Mostly poodle crosses, daschunds and frenchies I see out on walks.

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I think the cost of buying a well bred pedigree puppy is prohibitive to many people, and the fact that (responsible) breeders properly vet potential owners for their puppies a lot more thoroughly these days (as they should, I've worked in rescue and seen the despicable things that some humans do to dogs...as well as ill treatment by well-meaning but inexperienced/unknowledgable owners).

I also think that more people are rehoming now, and though there are a lot of pedigree dogs that end up in rescue, most are crossbreeds or mongrels.

Plus, 'fashion' comes into it...ridiculous in my opinion, but society in general has a tendency to follow trends.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

"Mostly poodle crosses, daschunds and frenchies I see out on walks."

This is what I see most of time as well , I cant wait till later in year when I get my Giant Malamute and he grows full size.. .. have already prewarned the neighbours not to be alarmed

over a year ago

I never get why people take their dogs into town shopping. You see loads of people at Cheshire oaks with designer dogs and clearly the dogs don’t want to be there

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

"I never get why people take their dogs into town shopping. You see loads of people at Cheshire oaks with designer dogs and clearly the dogs don’t want to be there "

You answered you own question

"Designer dog"....they're an accessory not a pet

over a year ago

"I never get why people take their dogs into town shopping. You see loads of people at Cheshire oaks with designer dogs and clearly the dogs don’t want to be there

You answered you own question

"Designer dog"....they're an accessory not a pet"

Aye true

over a year ago

"Mostly poodle crosses, daschunds and frenchies I see out on walks.

This is what I see most of time as well , I cant wait till later in year when I get my Giant Malamute and he grows full size.. .. have already prewarned the neighbours not to be alarmed "

Its funny watching the different reactions from dogs and owners to large dogs.

One of my neighbours has a Caucasian Shepherd Dog (Troy).

Another has a two Burnese Mountain Dogs (Max and Paddy).

And another owner has a Pyrenees Mountain Dog/Alsatian cross (Pablo).

Some owners and dogs will go out of their way to avoid them.

But some dogs, especially smaller ones, love to have a go at them.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Humans thats what's happened "

that’s not a change. I’m pretty sure Britain was populated with humans a few years ago too.

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

I want boxers again but the prices are through the roof

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I want boxers again but the prices are through the roof"

Stick to y-fronts or briefs then.

By *eneralKenobiMan
over a year ago

North Angus

"I want boxers again but the prices are through the roof

Stick to y-fronts or briefs then. "

Ha Woof!

over a year ago

I have a British bulldog called Fred he's my baby

By *ed MartinMan
over a year ago

Shefford

"Look for specific breed rescue groups on social media

We rehome St Bernards"

You’re now both 12/10s in my eyes!

over a year ago

"Mostly poodle crosses, daschunds and frenchies I see out on walks.

This is what I see most of time as well , I cant wait till later in year when I get my Giant Malamute and he grows full size.. .. have already prewarned the neighbours not to be alarmed "

Exactly what do you consider a "Giant" Malamute, majority of breeders since around 1999 onwards have been breeding them smaller and smaller

care to pm or mention the breeder, I know the majority of UK Breeders.

You do not really get "Giant" Alaskan Malamutes in the UK.

over a year ago

It's all these shitty little designer dogs now with breathing problems that have all these cocked up health issues. Hardly see what I'd consider a normal dog on walks anymore.

By *idesWillTurnMan
over a year ago

Berkshire

I had a spaniel and a doberman growing up

We have a Maltipoo now and he's by far the best dog I've ever owned

Great temperament, healthy, non shedder

I think the sheer volume of staffies at dog rescue has evolved now to greyhounds it seems

over a year ago

We adopted a beabull he is awesome. He bays like a beagle but with a deeper tone.

By *he AmbassadorMan
over a year ago

IRLANDA. / Prague. / Cil Dara

"Oh so whats happend to all the classic dog breeds I grew up with.

Whats happening people. Whats happening!!! "

english mastiffs are still popular over here, i rescued my cane corso from a mastiff rescue centre and there were a few there waiting on new homes

By *lueFireCouple
over a year ago

"Look for specific breed rescue groups on social media

We rehome St Bernards

You’re now both 12/10s in my eyes!"

Ha ha

Thank you

Post new Message to Thread