Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Working in Dubai

Jump to newest

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Does anybody have advice on working in Dubai ? Or is anyone over there ? Trying to see whether it's worth going through with, any help appreciated.

Happy new year

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

I personally wouldn't ever choose to work in Dubai do you have to go Op?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If you get caught dogging you’ll get more than a slap on the wrist

over a year ago

Googling "swinging in Dubai" brings up a load of articles about golf and theme parks

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

I’m very curious about this as well, OP. I hate our British winters and I don’t drink. I’ve always thought about the Middle East. I was chatting to a couple I met recently who have lived there for a few years - they said they’re a huge swinging scene there.

Interested to hear from anyone on positives and negatives of living there.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Does anybody have advice on working in Dubai ? Or is anyone over there ? Trying to see whether it's worth going through with, any help appreciated.

Happy new year "

What industry? And why are you thinking of going there?

It has become very expensive, traffic is disastrous, summer is horrific, and tax is starting to creep in.

Workwise, many industries / professions out there don’t have a good reputation for professional standards, so can be a step backwards in terms of cv / career progression of you want to come back to the Uk.

And socially, things are getting stricter out there.

By *tew008Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

I’d only go if the money was amazing. Not that interested in the lifestyle there. Although never used fab to influence career choices

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I’m very curious about this as well, OP. I hate our British winters and I don’t drink. I’ve always thought about the Middle East. I was chatting to a couple I met recently who have lived there for a few years - they said they’re a huge swinging scene there.

Interested to hear from anyone on positives and negatives of living there."

Swinging in dubai is extreme dangerous. Extremely!

People in dubai tend to ignore the laws, saying it’s fine as long as you don’t get caught. But if you get caught, you are absolutely fucked. And all it takes is one neighbour or resident taking a dislike to you and reporting you.

over a year ago

Dubai is a great place to live as long you are earning good money. Lived there for 5 years

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"Dubai is a great place to live as long you are earning good money. Lived there for 5 years "

Are there British tax implications for ex-pats earning money in UAE?

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

There is massive corruption, it’s the loads where criminals go when they have been run out of Spain. The EU has just downgraded the UAE’s status a a financial entity due to the level of corruption and harbouring of criminals. Money pondering capital of the world.

Also dreadful human rights abuses of workers.

If you can get off all that though, enjoy!

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"I’m very curious about this as well, OP. I hate our British winters and I don’t drink. I’ve always thought about the Middle East. I was chatting to a couple I met recently who have lived there for a few years - they said they’re a huge swinging scene there.

People in dubai tend to ignore the laws, saying it’s fine as long as you don’t get caught. But if you get caught, you are absolutely fucked. And all it takes is one neighbour or resident taking a dislike to you and reporting you. "

Gratefully received cautionary words! This is exactly what I thought, too, but surely it’s like in the uk - as long as you’re discreet behind closed doors, no one can possibly be any the wiser.

By *ed MartinMan
over a year ago

Shefford

I recently met a woman who has been working over there for several years as a teacher. She’s now looking to get back to the UK, but is struggling to afford to relocate. Although the wages are higher than here, the cost of living is also significantly higher. She was living in a shared house and even sharing a room with another expat woman to make it cheaper.

You will also find that the locals, the authorities and the entire system will treat you as a second class citizen due to being white and non-Muslim, and without a Dubai passport, there are some things it is very difficult to access (legal support, financial etc).

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

What I did find out from my chat is that energy bills are about £700pm!!! That surprised me enormously, given the abundance of oil, sun and wind there

By *wisted999Man
over a year ago

North Bucks

Lots of Fabbers in Dubai on the downlow.

Dubai is rife with prostitution it’s so in your face at kicking out time at certain clubs. Money talks as to the amount of fun you can have and whether people turn a blind eye. Best of staying out of it enjoying the other things the area gives such as getting out and about in the desert and more cultural areas. Saying that though it’s like a high rise Milton Keynes in the Desert.

They have just or are just about to abolish the alcohol tax.

I was in Qatar pre Covid it was more of the same and the hypocrisy you see when it comes to leisure time with the locals is something else.

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Well I'm kinda fearful of the swinging scene there, like the others have said it's probably not worth the risk

On the otherside I don't have have to go there more so thinking is it as glamorous as they say working there, ideally trying to build connections with people who know about there and potentially live out there to point me in the right direction

But yes I'm hearing it's massively corrupt !!! Seems like here we get sold a dream lads ?

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

May I ask what industry you worked in ?

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

People in dubai tend to ignore the laws, saying it’s fine as long as you don’t get caught. But if you get caught, you are absolutely fucked. And all it takes is one neighbour or resident taking a dislike to you and reporting you.

Gratefully received cautionary words! This is exactly what I thought, too, but surely it’s like in the uk - as long as you’re discreet behind closed doors, no one can possibly be any the wiser."

No. If an emirati neighbour reports you, police will act

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Well I'm kinda fearful of the swinging scene there, like the others have said it's probably not worth the risk

On the otherside I don't have have to go there more so thinking is it as glamorous as they say working there, ideally trying to build connections with people who know about there and potentially live out there to point me in the right direction

But yes I'm hearing it's massively corrupt !!! Seems like here we get sold a dream lads ? "

What is this “dream”? And who is selling it to you?

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Lots of Fabbers in Dubai on the downlow.

Dubai is rife with prostitution it’s so in your face at kicking out time at certain clubs. Money talks as to the amount of fun you can have and whether people turn a blind eye. Best of staying out of it enjoying the other things the area gives such as getting out and about in the desert and more cultural areas. Saying that though it’s like a high rise Milton Keynes in the Desert.

They have just or are just about to abolish the alcohol tax.

I was in Qatar pre Covid it was more of the same and the hypocrisy you see when it comes to leisure time with the locals is something else. "

exactly thats why it was built to cater for the western world without allowing westerners to mix with arabs outside of dubai, all the depravities of the world available for top dollar but overstep the mark and they will have no give in their punishment of said abusers.

Its been built to bring in money to the Arab world and its an oven lol i expect you could make money there but at what cost, you'd have to give up something.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

I worked in Dubai and I hated the shithole place . Obviously now I am trans I can’t even leave the airport lol

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"I worked in Dubai and I hated the shithole place . Obviously now I am trans I can’t even leave the airport lol "
Trans not accepted there then?

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

No I mean as in the dream that they sell it to us as it's the place to be and visit holiday wise and now work etc.

Mine is just standard working opportunity on a project...

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It’s a tough one for me as it would save me around 100K a year in tax so could comfortably retire in 3-5 , the winters are really nice and the healthcare and transport are world class but that’s the only real benefits

The 90 day rule and reducing ties to increase days in years 2-5 is a big blocker for me. I won’t design my life around tax. I’m here for 24 days in Jan , probably similar in Feb to April , I’ll be back in the UK when the heat comes here it’s unbearable and I love the UK in summer

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

"I worked in Dubai and I hated the shithole place . Obviously now I am trans I can’t even leave the airport lol Trans not accepted there then? "

It’s illegal to be lgbtq in Dubai and very much so in Dubai with the RP roaming around. When I transferred in Dubai to Thailand for my facial feminisation I got detained for hours and questioned / searched / poked / prodded etc before being told only reason I am not being arrested is because never left the airport

There is lots of trans there working in adult entertainment but many get arrested / deported 2 of my friends were imprisoned for 6 months / abused in prison then had money taken and kicked out of Dubai for life

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

"No I mean as in the dream that they sell it to us as it's the place to be and visit holiday wise and now work etc.

Mine is just standard working opportunity on a project... "

It’s basically a shitter version of vegas with tighter rules / laws If you are getting big money it’s ok for a stint j guess and just stay low save money

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"I worked in Dubai and I hated the shithole place . Obviously now I am trans I can’t even leave the airport lol Trans not accepted there then?

It’s illegal to be lgbtq in Dubai and very much so in Dubai with the RP roaming around. When I transferred in Dubai to Thailand for my facial feminisation I got detained for hours and questioned / searched / poked / prodded etc before being told only reason I am not being arrested is because never left the airport

There is lots of trans there working in adult entertainment but many get arrested / deported 2 of my friends were imprisoned for 6 months / abused in prison then had money taken and kicked out of Dubai for life

"

Exactly why people shouldnt go, the RP are a law unto themselves and can do anything they please including lieing and making up charges to hold you on, youre probably ok if youre teetotal and celibate but us brits aren't

over a year ago

I was in oil and gas. Cost of living is high so need to earn good money.

Lot of expats in similar position over there just got to be discreet

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Ah ok so I'm in electrics so I'm trying to gauge if it's something they value

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Dubai is a great place to live as long you are earning good money. Lived there for 5 years

Are there British tax implications for ex-pats earning money in UAE?"

Yes. You can’t be in the uk more than 90 days a year and only work for 30 of them otherwise they will take 45%.

You can increase the 90 in years 2-5 by reducing UK ties but it’s complex.

Other than that no not really, you can’t keep ISA’s but you’re better off having offshore account and investments in Jersey and repatriate money to uk through there as needed for mortgage etc

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Yep seems like there's a lot of things involved with this part of the world

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Ah ok so I'm in electrics so I'm trying to gauge if it's something they value "
of course they value you it but do you value your freedom

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

"Ah ok so I'm in electrics so I'm trying to gauge if it's something they value "

If you have a job contract that is worthwhile the hassle of going over there vs staying out and making more in shorter time then it’s worth maybe considering but you have to look into implications

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Yep seems like there's a lot of things involved with this part of the world "

Go for a holiday and explore - it’s a very big place. Then pay for a couple hours tax and ex-pat financial advice.

You don’t need to worry about the sex thing- Swinging is popular & Tinder & Dating is massive. It’s the most liberal and diverse Muslim country in the world, and the fact that 95% of the population are ex-pats, mostly single etc mean it’s generally easier than the UK. LGBT is unfortunately still mostly underground but things are changing , it’s nothing like Saudi

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Ah ok so I'm in electrics so I'm trying to gauge if it's something they value of course they value you it but do you value your freedom "

Oh behave ! Have you ever been lived here ? Or just read something on Facebook

By *red333Man
over a year ago

Dorchester

"Ah ok so I'm in electrics so I'm trying to gauge if it's something they value of course they value you it but do you value your freedom

Oh behave ! Have you ever been lived here ? Or just read something on Facebook "

lol hey im just anti dubai im allowed you know

over a year ago

"Does anybody have advice on working in Dubai ? Or is anyone over there ? Trying to see whether it's worth going through with, any help appreciated.

Happy new year "

I was out there for the first time back in October for an 8 night break..£12 - £15 per pint is the going rate so I hope you’re not a big drinker or it will cost you..lol

By *parkySaxon OP   Man
over a year ago

London

Ooo now that's going to be killer haha I' mean I think I can give it up but it looks like cost of living there is high

over a year ago

You can make very good money there but it's a pretty grim place. Like Basildon for the dodgy nouveau riche.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"No I mean as in the dream that they sell it to us as it's the place to be and visit holiday wise and now work etc.

Mine is just standard working opportunity on a project... "

I have visited uae several times, and have several friends and relations there now.

Summer is absolutely brutal, be prepared for that. High 40’s for several months.

Human rights are poor. You’re ok as long as you keep your nose clean, but if you misbehave in any way and it comes to the attention of the authorities, you are fucked. eg I know someone who had a financial dispute with a local and she was chucked in prison for months… if it’s good word against a local …

Another example was a guy I know who was cut up badly by a local driver, so he leaned on the car horn and flipped the finger at the offender, who was a local, so he was picked up by police and thrown in prison.

Re work, project work is ok but be wary of “bonuses”. A lot of jobs have a retention bonus they is due after 2 years, not a lot of propel find themselves being binned just short of the 2 year mark.

Also be careful to ensure that the industry your project is in has good professional standards and reputation. Building standards, for example, are dreadful, and financial services standards / reputation are worse.

As for feedback from people living and working there, they’re hardly going to say that it’s shit!

Dream? Go there for a holiday if you want, November is probably the best time to go, but if you’re going to work there keep researching and be careful. Don’t believe the shite you see on social media!

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Ooo now that's going to be killer haha I' mean I think I can give it up but it looks like cost of living there is high "

One other thing, if you have kids, make sure schooling is included in your package, along with guaranteed school places.

A friend of mine in quite a senior well paid job recently moved back to the uk because she couldn’t afford schooling costs for her 2 kids.

over a year ago

Happy new year "

You can PM me if u want!! Been living and working here for 8 years now along with my family! You jus have to respect the rules and laws!! And I'm using fab in Dubai hehe

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I worked in Dubai and I hated the shithole place . Obviously now I am trans I can’t even leave the airport lol Trans not accepted there then?

"

A very sad litany, all very much as I would expect.

Of course, straight expats who get pissed at the brunches at the big hotels are largely oblivious to this sort of thing, or deliberately blind to it because they themselves are fine and “all you have to do is keep your head down”.

I don’t go there any more

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

It’s basically a shitter version of vegas with tighter rules / laws If you are getting big money it’s ok for a stint j guess and just stay low save money "

Much shitter, doesn’t even have gambling! You’d get locked up for that …

Does have corrupt boxing promoters though, on the run from Europe

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I worked in Dubai and I hated the shithole place . Obviously now I am trans I can’t even leave the airport lol Trans not accepted there then? "

Probably fine as long as you act straight, dress straight etc …

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Heard there's also a big drinking culture there too. Do you'll be able to go out and have fun.

By *elix SightedMan
over a year ago

Cloud 8

"Dubai is a great place to live as long you are earning good money. Lived there for 5 years

Are there British tax implications for ex-pats earning money in UAE?

Yes. You can’t be in the uk more than 90 days a year and only work for 30 of them otherwise they will take 45%.

You can increase the 90 in years 2-5 by reducing UK ties but it’s complex.

Other than that no not really, you can’t keep ISA’s but you’re better off having offshore account and investments in Jersey and repatriate money to uk through there as needed for mortgage etc "

Thanks dude, and to everyone else for their comments.

OP sorry for piggy backing your topic!! But it’s been something on my mind of late and I’m also interested.

Fully appreciate cultural diversity and sensitivities around the world, but it does upset me that countries take such an antiquated bigoted stance on human rights and individual choices. This is most evident in Afghanistan with the taliban banning girls going to school. Anyway, don’t want to get all political - piece said and soap box back in its, erm, box.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Heard there's also a big drinking culture there too. Do you'll be able to go out and have fun. "

… as above, booze is ruinously expensive in most places

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I recently met a woman who has been working over there for several years as a teacher. She’s now looking to get back to the UK, but is struggling to afford to relocate. Although the wages are higher than here, the cost of living is also significantly higher. She was living in a shared house and even sharing a room with another expat woman to make it cheaper.

You will also find that the locals, the authorities and the entire system will treat you as a second class citizen due to being white and non-Muslim, and without a Dubai passport, there are some things it is very difficult to access (legal support, financial etc)."

Someone above said that working in the UAE could be a backward step in a career? It often is in education/teaching, especially if the teacher is working in the state sector and not a British international school that follows the British curriculum and exams. I can't really write much more but suffice to say I would never recommend anyone who wants to return to working in any capacity as a teacher in the UK, works in the UAE (or wider Gulf region). Even though the comparative salaries are much higher etc.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

I have visited uae several times, and have several friends and relations there now.

Summer is absolutely brutal, be prepared for that. High 40’s for several months.

Human rights are poor. You’re ok as long as you keep your nose clean, but if you misbehave in any way and it comes to the attention of the authorities, you are fucked. eg I know someone who had a financial dispute with a local and she was chucked in prison for months… if it’s good word against a local …

Another example was a guy I know who was cut up badly by a local driver, so he leaned on the car horn and flipped the finger at the offender, who was a local, so he was picked up by police and thrown in prison.

Re work, project work is ok but be wary of “bonuses”. A lot of jobs have a retention bonus they is due after 2 years, not a lot of propel find themselves being binned just short of the 2 year mark.

Also be careful to ensure that the industry your project is in has good professional standards and reputation. Building standards, for example, are dreadful, and financial services standards / reputation are worse.

As for feedback from people living and working there, they’re hardly going to say that it’s shit!

Dream? Go there for a holiday if you want, November is probably the best time to go, but if you’re going to work there keep researching and be careful. Don’t believe the shite you see on social media! "

If your friends are the kind of people who flip fingers at motorists and get in trouble they will definitely not enjoy UAE, there’s no anti social behaviour, violence etc tolerated - we don’t want them here either. The rest of us enjoy a place with zero crime and high standards of living thanks

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I recently met a woman who has been working over there for several years as a teacher. She’s now looking to get back to the UK, but is struggling to afford to relocate. Although the wages are higher than here, the cost of living is also significantly higher. She was living in a shared house and even sharing a room with another expat woman to make it cheaper.

You will also find that the locals, the authorities and the entire system will treat you as a second class citizen due to being white and non-Muslim, and without a Dubai passport, there are some things it is very difficult to access (legal support, financial etc).

Someone above said that working in the UAE could be a backward step in a career? It often is in education/teaching, especially if the teacher is working in the state sector and not a British international school that follows the British curriculum and exams. I can't really write much more but suffice to say I would never recommend anyone who wants to return to working in any capacity as a teacher in the UK, works in the UAE (or wider Gulf region). Even though the comparative salaries are much higher etc. "

Similar in other fields. For example, working in the financial services industry … curruption is so rife, and regulation is so weak, experience gained over there isn’t valued when you return to a hub like london.

And in engineering, building things that rapidly fall apart or sink isn’t the best recommendation

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Dream? Go there for a holiday if you want, November is probably the best time to go, but if you’re going to work there keep researching and be careful. Don’t believe the shite you see on social media!

If your friends are the kind of people who flip fingers at motorists and get in trouble they will definitely not enjoy UAE, there’s no anti social behaviour, violence etc tolerated - we don’t want them here either. The rest of us enjoy a place with zero crime and high standards of living thanks "

Why generalise? Did I say that all of my friends and relations are prone to road rage?

Interesting that you explicitly condone the outcome … that someone be chucked in prison for a hand gesture. That ties in with in view of dubai, that people are blind to the basics (construction worker deaths / rights, poorly paid and abused domestic staff etc etc) so that they can bank a tax free salary and go to the bright shiny ex-pat hotspots.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Interesting to see some loafers suggesting that dubai is crime-free or low in crime. That is very far from the truth, but whet the actually mean is that it is quite low in terms of antisocial crime like mugging, burglary etc. bit in broader term, dubai is a rife with crime … money laundering (gold, by the tin, pouring into the good souk, for example), knowingly and openly habouring known drug barons (only starting to put the squeeze on them now because the US in particular are demanding it).

But as far as some ex-pats are concerned, being relatively safe means “i’m alright jack”, and they can ignore all other forms of criminality and pretend it doesn’t exist.

Enabling money laundering and allowing drug barons to live there for many years … that enables the major cartels to keep operating, and fuels worldwide drug smuggling, it is not victimless crime.

Post new Message to Thread